Round 3 - Raiders v Panthers

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

OK just read through this stuff now, some interesting thoughts expressed by GE and IBG.

My two cents:

- I think this was a tough round due to mitigating circumstances - Easter. the four day weekend meant I was nowhere near my PC for four days and I'm sure with people having other commitments around this time, it makes it tough. I mention this because

a) we've never NOT got five articles in

b) generally we're very well organised (last round case in point, all articles in before 2pm on the Wednesday)

c) I felt the rush myself, normally I work on my article the friday before full time and proof it on Monday.

- TBH I think everyone had a freakout because dubby was playing his first match and was an unknown quantity. He still got the job done (despite the word count) and his efforts should be recognised. HOWEVER... I think (especially for the new guys) we should explain what we do here - by no means compulsory but I think our 'peer review' system is pretty damn good. I'm gonna make a sticky in this thread and I'll PM it to the new guys who play in their first match so they have it as a reference point.

- I think we should make better use of the team thread at LU.

- As V-C I'm happy to PM the newbies or people who don't post here regularly to check their progress and offer to do an edit job.

- GE the amount of work you do for this team is phenomenal, your articles are top shelf and NO ONE wants you to walk from the side. I too extract my enjoyment from winning. :)

- I actually think 'last night' (Nick madly writing an article, everyone commenting on it, dubby submitting it anyway) was a great example of team-work. Everyone had everyone else covered and was pitching in. Schifty even wrote two articles - so with Nick and Schiffa we have two ready to go next round already.

- I'd like to see more new guys (Woodgers, Edwahu) play for us as they have the best footy brains on the forums IMO. Plus azza mate, this is a shout-out, PLEASE PLAY AGAIN BUDDY! You're the man!

OK thanks. :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Fine, no one reply :lol:
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I will. :)
Panthers

Big Mick – International Orphanage
746 Words

What to do about our International game? A well written, thought out piece.

Madunit – A Letter To A Disgruntled Player Manager
700 Words

Amusing piece with several humorous statements.

[furrycat] – A Letter To The NRL
750 Words

Follows on well from the previous article. Well written and amusing.

Azkatro – Lets Go Girls
747 Words

Imaginative piece about what the cheer girls mean to the game and to the supporter. A couple of sentences I felt could have been fragmented to make it flow better early in the piece.

Ozzie – The Roosters Training Ground
745 Words

Well written yarn about the history of the local park. A good read.

Raiders

greeneyed – Easter
750 Words

Well written piece about the town, and future of the club. Some great descriptions made this a good read

Thickos – Fire Starter
750 Words

Great read with some great descriptions and imagry.

Stelios Giannakopoulos – Renewed Hope – Canberra 2007
750 Words

A good thought out piece on the future coach.

dubby – Lamentations; the demise of a great club and a bygone era
764 Words

There were quite a few spelling and punctuation errors which spoilt what I felt was a good read with some good insights.

78 – 5 for going more than 11 words over the 750 word limit

New Mark 73

I Bleed Green – Who am I
750 Words

This was an excellent piece. The writer drew my attention and kept it until the climax at the end

Penrith (432) defeated Canberra (426)

M.O.M

Thickos from the Raiders

(I see this was *'s debut piece. I hope you don’t get too discouraged with this mark. The Forum Sevens competition rules state that you must NOT go over 750 words. Because you were more than 11 words over the limit, the rules say that you be deducted 5 points. Punctuation and Spelling do play a big part in your overall mark. *'s just something to be on the lookout for next time.)

A great match men. Well done to all.

Bugger!

Even with the word count penalty we would've lost by 1 point. A fair result IMO, dubby did well on his debut.

Stoked with my 90. Sorry I let you down GE and didn't get a 95. ;)

Well done Stu, you MOTM stud, you.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

MOTM again for stu
awesome effort
in retro speak we probably would have snuck a win had i posted my article instead of dubby but i thought dubby was great on debut, he'll learn a lot from this. :)

I too think we are underusing the LU team thread, we'll have to find ways of changing that.

Thickos, i think your probably the best man to convince woodgers, he doesnt seem to respond to me in this regard :lol:
Ill get onto ed thou see about him playing a game

also like to echo your thoughts on Azza, when ever ya got time and can, get something cracking and we'll throw ya in
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've been trying hard to convince Azza to have a run, but he's difficult to convince.

Disappointed with my mark, sorry to let down the side.

Especially well done to Thickos and IBG for their 90+ efforts.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

in no means is it a let down GE, your a gun, pure and simple :D
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

GE, 88 is NOT letting the side down :!:

Your article was great. Shame about the loss but they had us covered even before the 5 point penalty.

Panthers are definitely our bogey side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was hoping to crack the 90... haven't done that for quite a while...

Anyway... you know me, I'm the perfectionist...