Round 1: Raiders V The Bulls - PvP Cup

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

69 - the content of your article is tops, but it's a nightmare for spelling and grammar!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

oh, and David Seage isn't named in the Knights line-up.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Kris_man wrote:69 - the content of your article is tops, but it's a nightmare for spelling and grammar!
Hmm yea well with my track record, that comes as no surprise :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Kris_man wrote:oh, and David Seage isn't named in the Knights line-up.
didnt relise that, must be injured :shock:

Round 1: A View from the Bye

With the opening weekend to the NRL season 2005 just around the corner, the rugby league juices are well and truely flowing, we endured yet another controvesial off season that kept league in the papers for all the wrong reasons, as with every season the trials have given hope to those who had none and busied ego's of Premiership threats. The old calling card of the losing trail team - "it's only a trial" has got a fair work out but now its time to get on with with real deal, what keeps most us footy nuts sane.

As a Raiders fans its a sort of anti climax to know that at long last the footy is back but look at the games to relise my beloved team has the bye for round 1, but thankfully there is 7 other top class games i can get into for one reason or another that will be more than adaquate to fuel my passion untill my Raiders run out to take on the Knights in round 2, but the question remains where should my passion be used come round 1?

We kick things off for 05 with reigning premiers the Bulldogs taking on a weakend Dragons outfit at the Showground, although both the Bulldogs and Dragons will still have some very handy names in their line ups they are both going to be missing some key personal, that said the bulldogs appear to be too strong accross the park. Both should feature prodominately in the race for the premiership but im gunning for the Bulldogs in this game, former Raider Jamaal Lolesi should be playing and he definately gets the Dogs accross the line in reguards to which team i'll be throwing my support behind and they should get the nod by about 10-16.

Next we head to Telstra Stadium for the clash with the Tigers and Parramatta, in what appears to be a tipsters nightmare! Both have had average to solid form in the trials and both playing a much more flamboyent game style to what we saw from them last season. Parramatta have recruited well with Morrison and Tahu but question a question mark remains over their halves, as a red blooded LU Raiders fan i cant bring myself to supoort the Tigers and Parramatta have provided us with a few stars so im on the Parra bandwagon for round 1, Parramatta by 2 is my tip.

Following the concludsion of that game, the shires best go up against the wild men from the west, Sharks V Panthers, the punters have been spread accross the board on both teams. Both sides have had a relatively quiet off season, being my local team ive gotta go the Panthers to topple the Sharks in what should be an entertaining affair, the halfback head to head will hold the key, Panthers by 8-12.

To round out our Super Saturady night we have two foundation clubs going at it. The high flying Roosters and the preverbial cellar dwellers South Sydney. With the lose of Fittler it remains to be seen how the Roosters will be affected, they have however recruited well in former Panthers and Raiders stars Amos Roberts and Joel Monaghan, not to mention Brett Firman which could prove to be yet another masterstroke by Coach Stuart. The Rabbitohs have also recruited strongly and look to have a decent 17 but not much depth beyond that. Roosters in a canter by 20+ but i cant help but back the underdog, C'ARN THE BUNNIES!

Sunday's action kicks off accross the Tasmain when the Warriors boosting new recruits Rubin Wiki and Steve Price take on a Manly side who were also active in the post June 30 action snearing Brent Kite and Ben Kennedy. The Wiki factor makes me and a lot of other Raiders fans a part time Warrior fan for round 1 at least, and im confident that Price and Wiki can sort out the troulbes the Warriors had in 04, the Warriors to pip Manly at the post by 10.'

Down to Melbourne where the Storm do battle with the Knights for the NRL return match of Andrew Johns. Both squads have solid forward packs at best but potent halves with some very skillful backs, Billy Slater and Matt Giddley the pick of the bunch. The Storm should get up here with the home advantage and the fact Johns may still be a tad rusty and out of time, understandably so. Storm by 10 points.

The League week finishes up with the battle of Queensland when the premiership heaveywieghts Brisbane take on last years fairtale the Cowboys. The Cowboys will be a stronger outfit in 05 with Thurston and Webb coming to the far north whilst Brisbane will have to do without inspirational Captain Gorden Tallis who retired in season 04. As a footy lover i was drawn to the Cowboys style last year and the underdog's will again get my support when they do battle with the Broncos and in my veiw the world's #1 player Darren Lockyer. Although i'll be rooting for the cowboys my prediction is Brisbane by 10.
Last edited by Nick on March 10, 2005, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

lol, Matt Gidley. i might run through yours later, 69, and offer spelling and grammar "suggestions"
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

dude there is a typo in the title :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nice short paras tho R 69.... :lol: I will leave to Kris to help with the spelling and grammar. R69: here's a hint: type the article on word and run the spell and grammar check, then copy it over....
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Article posted. I fixed some punctuation but left the paragraphs as they were - sorry GE :(

The only paragraph I had concerns about was the Wiki paragraph - and for the life of me I couldn't find a spot to break it where it made sense.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
just think fellas, that there is the product of your captain... god help us all
**** that mistake in the title, me = :roll: :roll: :lol:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

forget Word grammar and spell check - there's things it will miss.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Kris_man wrote:forget Word grammar and spell check - there's things it will miss.
only if it's a recognisable word ... R69 doesnt type many of those :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Bay56 wrote:
Kris_man wrote:forget Word grammar and spell check - there's things it will miss.
only if it's a recognisable word ... R69 doesnt type many of those :lol:
hard... but fair :cry: :lol:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Don't forget everyone that articles need to be in by the 16th - next Wednesday, at 9pm.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

IBG has been swamped with work so SOULS or Schifty will be subbed in, ill send off some PM's now
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Raider_69 wrote:the speeling and grammer isnt up to standard of a team captained by me ;) :lol:
:ROFL
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

OK people, here is my draft peice, feel free to teat it to parts and abuse me about it if you wish :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Making the most of our inactive Players.
When a player goes to the judiciary and cops any sort of suspension they will end up spending the weekend doing nothing. Some clubs have a policy where if you cop a lengthy suspension, you lose some of your pay. But if the offence is minor, they will still get paid to do nothing for the weekend.

It is time for us, the community, the NRL to start turning a negative thing in a player suspension into a positive.
That is why suspensions should involve community service. If a player gets suspended for 1 week, it should equal 1 afternoon of community service. There is a lot of unknown talent in our Rugby League team that people don’t know about.

Lets use an example, during a Raiders vs. Broncos Match, Damon Alley-Tovio gets put on report for a high tackle, come Thursday night at the judiciary we cops a 2 week suspension. Now instead of Damon just sitting at home for the weekend why not use his skill as a qualified tree surgeon to our advantage? I’m sure there is plenty of companies that would be willing to except some free help for the weekend.

Now even if a player has no qualifications what so ever, that doesn’t mean we can’t use their services to help the community. Things like collecting money for charity, cooking a sausage sizzle for the local bush fire brigade and serving food at free meal centres do not require any TAFE or uni degrees what so ever. Training some one up to perform these activities is so simple, that even a prop forward who has been in 200 too many scrums can learn within minutes.
Also when people who are having some sort of problems see a local star serving them soup, it can put a smile on their face and help them feel a lot better.
After all some of this people are at the very bottom of the scale in *'s Hierarchy of needs, for them Food,, Water and shelter is all they are aiming for in every day life. They don’t think about Social needs much as they are too focused in keeping up with the bare essentials. Now if they get to engage in conversation with someone that has any sort of stature in the community, it can only help. Any remote feeling of social acceptance can really help people feel better about themselves, these people aren’t after expensive cars and big houses, for them Social interaction is hardly ever thought about.

Now when players cop a lengthy suspension, (e.g. Greg Bird, Danny Williams) they can be used even more effectively in the community. If they cop a 8 week ban, release that player from training duties for 8 weeks and give find work for them in a job like bricklaying or labouring.
This way they will still be getting decent exercise so they won’t go out of shape and it will give them time to think about their actions. If they do 48 a week work on a construction site for their wages (which should be reduced to what an apprentice labourer earns) they will realise how much better off the are in their industry. They would therefore become more disciplined as they realise any slip ups, means loss of a good life style
This would really help players put their life in perspective when they find out that some people are slaving at a contraction site for a less than half the pay that they are receiving.

This concept can also be applied to injured players, if someone has a knee injury does that stop them answering phones at a local charities office? If someone has a shoulder injury they can still visit local schools and give kids motivational talks. The possibilities are really endless. We can turn a negative thing like a season industry into a real positive. It also helps that players morale, he will feel better about himself if instead of sitting at home all day feeling down, he is out there putting smiles on kids faces or contributing to a local charity.

So instead of watching players sit on the sidelines during suspensions and injuries lets use their inactiveness to our advantage,
There is just far too much work out there to be done to let people laze around and do nothing. So lets make the community and the players feel better about themselves and embrace this concept.
----------------------------------------------------------------

750 including title
Last edited by Sasha on March 12, 2005, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Cronk
Peter Jackson

Post by Super Cronk »

:lol: :lol: that was awesome
"Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail"
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
awesome article thus far
Schifty ive made the sub in for SOULS who PM'ed me so he's got the nod for this game, but dont fret you'll be starting the rd 2 match V the Lions :)
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Whats with the :lol: :lol: :lol:

This article wasn't a comedy piece :? :? :lol: :lol:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Full-time tonight, wonder how we'll go :hmmm
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

We shall win it, :)
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I'm confident.

Insaneink's article is pretty flat IMO. Bomber's is clever though.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

hmmm i think this one could go right down to the wire
im 50/50 on weather i think we will win

Bomber will score well, Broncodroids is very cleaver also
but i think K Man, Greeneyed and thickos will score nicely for us, Souls article is abit of a tweener, i love it but it may not appeal to the ref, and mine is pretty average so we'll see :)
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Good luck guys