Fantasy leagues

Chat about the tipping and other competitions

Moderator: GH Moderators

Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Fantasy leagues

Post by Grün Maschine »

Has the nrl split with their Dream team provider hence the reason they changed names to "NRL fantasy" and the "real dream team" or are they the same thing?

Any cash cows at the raiders?

Any other hot tips people are willing to share
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Fantasy leagues

Post by simo »

setu is a possible cow. i think vaughan, milford and wighton are worthy of starts. milfords average includes all his games he played reduced mins, wighton also has a few injury affected scores and will be much better this year
Dont delete this GE
SirMcSquid
David Furner

Fantasy leagues

Post by SirMcSquid »

Agree with that. Also note Robinson will spend less time at fullback, and Tilse less time on the field making them reverse cows.. Whatever the reverse of a cow is..
banner reluctantly created by fistinz

Member - #8231
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Setu is a good chance at 126 (i think). I still think Vaughan is under valued at 215. I think Milford is worth more than the 315 or so too. Cornish could be a rookie worth taking a punt on, pretty sure he will get plenty of FG this yr.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

On facebooks "supercoach addicts" page a supposed friend of Cornish was ranting he's no chance to debut then said he'd ask him, few days later hes very confident he will be, reckons Cornish danced around that question but admitted he's been training at 7 with McCrone at 9, true or not who knows.

I never finalise a team though until the after all the 1st round team lists have been released, just do a rough one till then.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

For Holden NRL Fantasy, another potential cash cow is Jack Wighton at 173K. This yr he has been given the dual tag as a wing/fullback and centre. He only avg's 13pts, but given most of his games were on the wing in a losing team, thats not surprising. With a perminant shift to centre, im confident he will move up to that early 20's 'centre' avg at the very least. Could be a handy player to have, a VERY cheap 'experienced' starter, with the added bonus of dual postitions. Ive selected him, and im assuming that in the first month or so, he will go from 173 to at least 210-215, which is a Whare or Winterstein type figure - both are dual position regular starters.

As usual, im sure I have too many Raiders, but ive selected Vaughan @ 215, Fensom @ 417 (or whatever it is), Cornish @ 107 (rookie figure, however he will be our #7, so that number will only go up), Croker @ 260 (I think, mostly for goal kickers points), Wighton (as above), Milford @ 310. Croker may still be switched out for a centre/ backrower as they tend to score better.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Fantasy leagues

Post by -TW- »

I'd sit off Wighton for a week or two to see how he comes back from his broken leg..

Values don't change until week 3 so plenty of time to look at guys like him or lee
Redbull Raiders
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Redbull Raiders »

on NRL Fantasy, i have the comp Live in Newcastle, Hate the Knights. join up if this applies to you search comp: YTSC7UHF

on Supercoach, i have comp 155784 setup for raiders fans.

Feel free to join either comp. if it fills up i will add more
expect nothing but failure and you'll never be disappointed...

Image: @RedbullRaiders
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Tim W wrote:I'd sit off Wighton for a week or two to see how he comes back from his broken leg..

Values don't change until week 3 so plenty of time to look at guys like him or lee
Those first 4 trades before the prices start charging are vital for both good and bad surprise packets.

I don't think Jack has enough value either way to waste one of those picks.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

HSV Raiders wrote:on NRL Fantasy, i have the comp Live in Newcastle, Hate the Knights. join up if this applies to you search comp: YTSC7UHF

There is already a Greenhouse Supercoach comp http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27452
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Redbull Raiders
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Redbull Raiders »

Bipolar Bear wrote:
HSV Raiders wrote:on NRL Fantasy, i have the comp Live in Newcastle, Hate the Knights. join up if this applies to you search comp: YTSC7UHF

There is already a Greenhouse Supercoach comp http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27452
Sweet, missed that thread as i came in via a facebook link to this one :)
expect nothing but failure and you'll never be disappointed...

Image: @RedbullRaiders
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

HSV, I just joined the 'hate knights' one. Im 'Raiding Cowboys'.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Been reading the 'lone scout' articles. Does anyone have any tips for a ratio between cash cows and guns?

Do you set your team up so that you have 17-18 good players, OR do you look for a squad of about 20 contributors with a few rookies, thus allowing for injuries, origin and bye weeks?
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Tim W wrote:I'd sit off Wighton for a week or two to see how he comes back from his broken leg..

I assume this was related to Supercoach as the holden nrl fantasy has price changes from rd 1 this year doesn't it?
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Matt wrote:Been reading the 'lone scout' articles. Does anyone have any tips for a ratio between cash cows and guns?

Do you set your team up so that you have 17-18 good players, OR do you look for a squad of about 20 contributors with a few rookies, thus allowing for injuries, origin and bye weeks?
Assuming Fantasy NRL and not Supercoach (i think the strategy is pretty Similiar, however I'm just more familiar/comfortable giving advice for Fantasy)

It kinda depends what you are going for and where you are in the season. If you are playing just to win leagues, then you should know the default setting for leagues is to be non scoring for the major origin bye weeks. If you are playing for overall then obviously you need to consider bye weeks a little ahead of time in order to have a balanced team throughout that period.

Either way you generally want to have a good crop of cows early and once origin hits you should only be looking to trade in cows to keepers for a squad of 18. I wouldn't worry toooooo much about ratios so much as your trades. EVERYONE runs low on trades at the end of the season as the trade rage is hard to resist.

With this in mind any cows you do select in your rd 1 team, should be aimed at getting you cash early. Grabbing a cow who 'may make their debut sometime this year' isn't advised as you often end up with dead weight in your squad. You wont be able to start with a ton of 'good' players so you should instead focus on grabbing a crop of guns (think Smith, Parker, Gallen etc) you think will be the most consistent, leaving those you think may have a patchy start (either due to form/injuries or their teams draw) to pick up when they start to come good again. Try to stay patient with these guys (as I said trades are very precious), there is nothing worse than trading them out and being forced to pick them back up again later just to avoid a few weeks of bad scores.

Next add the 'must have cows' that most teams will be grabbing. These are generally players making their debut rd 1, or coming back from something (injury/mission etc). Basically the bottom priced players who are either sure to be getting lots of game time in key positions (think halves not wingers) or are known to have scored well before (maybe they are coming back from an injury, maybe they are playing 80min rather then 20-40).

Your next aim should be to pick up bargain 'mid range' players who you think are in for a big year/improvement. I say this because they are generally priced that way because they have scored somewhat ok in the past (meaning they are less risky then say a rookie). These guys can often be your point of difference between other teams, are often harder to predict and can sometimes fly under the radar for a while. Campese is a good example, if he returns to his old scoring days (behemoth) he could rise in price quickly, allowing you to trade him up for a small amount to a gun (if you don't think he will keep scoring that way and be a gun himself). In that case it may be difficult for teams who don't have him to pick him up (it's not quite as simple as trading one cheap cow to the other). If he doesn't, well its a missed opportunity not having someone who does, but at least you are likely to get a semi ok amount of points from him week after week.

Anyway, I could continue, but it's already quite an essay and I think you get the point. Just remember, you are aiming to score reasonably well early in the season (otherwise you lose too many games/fall behind the overall leaders) while having enough 'potential' in your team to rise in value and give you a true dream team come the back half of the year.

As an aside, is there a GH league for Fantasy NRL? I don't live in Newcastle and only moderately dislike the knights so I'm not eligible for HSV's comp :(
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Archer wrote:

I assume this was related to Supercoach as the holden nrl fantasy has price changes from rd 1 this year doesn't it?
Unless they've changed it.. It didn't last year
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Tim W wrote:
Archer wrote:

Unless they've changed it.. It didn't last year
Yeah they changed it up this year, they changed how the player prices will be adjusted from week to week, and they start changing from week 1. It's pretty big, got me in knots as to who to pick, 1st round is so important now.

"There is an updated pricing system that more accurately reflects the likely value of Players from the beginning of the season and results in less short term volatility in Price changes, making it even more important to make the right long term selections."
"Player Price changes will occur after the Round 1 (previously it was after Round 3), rewarding those who get their Player selections right from the start."

From https://fantasy.nrl.com/help/index.html#/guidelines
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ah k, haven't got around to sorting a team yet..

Good to know
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Archer wrote:
Matt wrote:Been reading the 'lone scout' articles. Does anyone have any tips for a ratio between cash cows and guns?

Assuming Fantasy NRL and not Supercoach (i think the strategy is pretty Similiar, however I'm just more familiar/comfortable giving advice for Fantasy)

It kinda depends what you are going for and where you are in the season. If you are playing just to win leagues, then you should know the default setting for leagues is to be non scoring for the major origin bye weeks. If you are playing for overall then obviously you need to consider bye weeks a little ahead of time in order to have a balanced team throughout that period.

Either way you generally want to have a good crop of cows early and once origin hits you should only be looking to trade in cows to keepers for a squad of 18. I wouldn't worry toooooo much about ratios so much as your trades. EVERYONE runs low on trades at the end of the season as the trade rage is hard to resist.

With this in mind any cows you do select in your rd 1 team, should be aimed at getting you cash early. Grabbing a cow who 'may make their debut sometime this year' isn't advised as you often end up with dead weight in your squad. You wont be able to start with a ton of 'good' players so you should instead focus on grabbing a crop of guns (think Smith, Parker, Gallen etc) you think will be the most consistent, leaving those you think may have a patchy start (either due to form/injuries or their teams draw) to pick up when they start to come good again. Try to stay patient with these guys (as I said trades are very precious), there is nothing worse than trading them out and being forced to pick them back up again later just to avoid a few weeks of bad scores.

Next add the 'must have cows' that most teams will be grabbing. These are generally players making their debut rd 1, or coming back from something (injury/mission etc). Basically the bottom priced players who are either sure to be getting lots of game time in key positions (think halves not wingers) or are known to have scored well before (maybe they are coming back from an injury, maybe they are playing 80min rather then 20-40).

Your next aim should be to pick up bargain 'mid range' players who you think are in for a big year/improvement. I say this because they are generally priced that way because they have scored somewhat ok in the past (meaning they are less risky then say a rookie). These guys can often be your point of difference between other teams, are often harder to predict and can sometimes fly under the radar for a while. Campese is a good example, if he returns to his old scoring days (behemoth) he could rise in price quickly, allowing you to trade him up for a small amount to a gun (if you don't think he will keep scoring that way and be a gun himself). In that case it may be difficult for teams who don't have him to pick him up (it's not quite as simple as trading one cheap cow to the other). If he doesn't, well its a missed opportunity not having someone who does, but at least you are likely to get a semi ok amount of points from him week after week.

Anyway, I could continue, but it's already quite an essay and I think you get the point. Just remember, you are aiming to score reasonably well early in the season (otherwise you lose too many games/fall behind the overall leaders) while having enough 'potential' in your team to rise in value and give you a true dream team come the back half of the year.

As an aside, is there a GH league for Fantasy NRL? I don't live in Newcastle and only moderately dislike the knights so I'm not eligible for HSV's comp :(
Cheers Archer.
Tim W wrote:Ah k, haven't got around to sorting a team yet..

Good to know
Yep, Tim W, thats why I asked my question. This Rd 1 thing has me 2nd, 3rd and 4th guessing myself. Im sure Ive changed my side half a dozen times now, and im still not convinced.

At this stage ive gone for a 'avoid Origin players' policy (at least til after then), I think I only have 1 or 2, and a 'dual position' policy.

Will be happy to see a GH specific NRL Fantasy league too.