Official Breaking News: Henry released at end of '08 season

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

There's a fair few coaching options out there but I like the idea of Johnny Lang. He's good with a young squad and has achieved early results with both Cronulla and Penrith. We can't afford to keep rebuilding and I think this guy could get us up the ladder earlier. Just my thoughts.

Not happy Neil. I hope failure haunts your coaching career until you're forced to coach in the Northern Territory pub league.
buram
Brett Mullins

Post by buram »

I'll back Furner, he will be as accountable as any other coach and he bleeds green..... plus he has worked with the current roster and structure, a new coach be basically have to start again, at least Furner can pick up from where Henry (F**WITT) has left off....

Only other coaches I;d be happy with are Bellamy, Stuart or Daley.. (all ex Raiders)
I know who I am, Do you know who you are?
-LG-
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by -LG- »

VictorTheViking wrote:I think KW knows something we dont, not even he could be this relaxed at a time like this if he didnt (or I could just be deliriously angry....)

:lol:
Yeah just like he was "very confident" Henry was going to re-sign until 2011. :shock:
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

ps. IMO, Dave Furner should take over as of tomorrow, and give himself the oppurtunity to prove himself. In the mean time, HQ vigorously recruit the man to take us to premiership glory.

IMO we need a coach, along the lines of Bellamy, Stuart, Fittler et al who players WANT to play under. Rest assured, we have the financial clout to pay the right coach adequately.

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

Lime Green wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote:I think KW knows something we dont, not even he could be this relaxed at a time like this if he didnt (or I could just be deliriously angry....)

Yeah just like he was "very confident" Henry was going to re-sign until 2011. :shock:
Things change mox....

KW
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

KW wrote:ps. IMO, Dave Furner should take over as of tomorrow, and give himself the oppurtunity to prove himself. In the mean time, HQ vigorously recruit the man to take us to premiership glory.

IMO we need a coach, along the lines of Bellamy, Stuart, Fittler et al who players WANT to play under.
KW
Couldn't agree more.
raidersforme
Noa Nadruku

Post by raidersforme »

edwahu wrote:
raidersforme wrote:
Mick wrote:
Sossman wrote:**comment retracted**.
Thats is an absolute f**king disgrace. 99% of us disapproved of Elliot but our support of the team never wavered. We could sign Osama Bin Laden as coach and I'd still support them.
If Furner is appointed i will stop supporting a team i have for 24 years, Why because once he has top job, he will never leave or be sacked no matter how bad he is coaching, our recruitment will go backwards and retention will go out the door.

If he is given reins this year and proves himself then thats ok, or if he goes elsewhere and proves himself again ok, But getting free reign and will never be sacked thats not ok. I don't want another 10 years of just going ok, I want results.
If he was really terrible the board would just sack him and Don Furner jr.
How long has Brown had the job, Doust is staying as far as i know,

I really hope they get the best man not the inside man, if Furner is the only one we can get, or is the best qualified then yes, otherwise i don't want to be the same as the dragons with Oust Doust and Down Brown Campaigns
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Not so long ago a lot of poeple on this site beleived we had the greatest board in the nrl with the carney signing.before he re-signed they coped a lot of flack on here.Just a thought how about we see what there next move is before we call for heads to role on the coaching situation.

I beleive they made the right move in releasing him.If furner is signed up how about give him a chance before we give up.As for bennett he has stated his desire to move to sydney,sorry guys but canberra is not sydney.We wont get a high profile coach we never do.we will get a new nrl coach and we may end up with the same problem again,sadly IMO
raidersforme
Noa Nadruku

Post by raidersforme »

Lime Green wrote:
KW wrote:ps. IMO, Dave Furner should take over as of tomorrow, and give himself the oppurtunity to prove himself. In the mean time, HQ vigorously recruit the man to take us to premiership glory.

IMO we need a coach, along the lines of Bellamy, Stuart, Fittler et al who players WANT to play under.
KW
Couldn't agree more.
Exactly and KW i hope your dropping those names for a reason
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Neil Henry has lost all my respect. I am not commenting proper until tomorrow. I need to cool down!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

KW wrote:
Lime Green wrote:

Things change mox....

KW
i wonder weather you look as good in a whipped cream bikini as the the bird who said that did... :lol:

anyways furner definitely needs to be given a chance, its worth noting i think Furner if not up to scratch would quit. He has passion for this club, he loves canberra, and he if was not doing a good job, i dont think he'd need to be sacked, he'd quit

but thats a risky option
KW is on the money, furner needs to take the reigns asap and show us what he's got whilst the club searches for its next coach, if results are good, that may well be furner
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

I'm all for Furner having a crack.

Who knows? He could do a Jason Taylor or Brad Fittler.

Better than having some overrated sellout leading our boys.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Walt Flanigan wrote:I'm all for Furner having a crack.

Who knows? He could do a Jason Taylor or Brad Fittler.

Better than having some overrated sellout leading our boys.

hopefully not a taylor ,souths look **** house again :)
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

More than ever before, this is a time we should be rallying behind the team. What must the boys be thinking?

There's been many times in recent years where i've lost my patience with the team, but the rest of this year is all about support, loyalty and passion, from 1-17, every week.
raidersforme
Noa Nadruku

Post by raidersforme »

Who else came with Henry, Or did he pick in the other coaches
-LG-
Steve Walters

Post by -LG- »

raidersforme wrote:Who else came with Henry, Or did he pick in the other coaches
Crawley, and I presume he'll leave with him.
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

I'm not too disappointed.

Henry is by far the most talked up coach around with zero results to his name. The difference between him and Elliot is they've got different favourites and from all reports the players actually liked and responded to Elliot (Just look at our results and Elliot's willingness to keep Howell, Bulgarelli, Gafa, Drew, Tyran Smith and Kahler yet we perenially made the finals bar one).

In saying all that our next step is Dave Furner ****. The Stuart and Bellamy bridges have been burnt already..... Daley S.O.S
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Post by raidersmalt »

Im not against Furner coaching at all.

He's been successfull coaching premier league, as a player he was amazing!! The players all like him and he's not going to run off to sign with another club.

I cant see any reason not to give him a crack.

Also, for those who say they're going to stop supporting the team if Furner is appointed, take a few deep breaths and sort your lives out.... fairweather fans are the worst.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Some of my thoughts on this.

1. Its disappointing. I thought Neil Henry offers plenty as a coach.
2. Its not the end of the world.
3. Neil did what most of us would do ... look after his own best interests
4. Yes he was under contract, but contracts always have out clauses and are always negotiable. Negotiating changes to contracts happens every day.
5. He was in a difficult position being asked to confirm or deny reports of going or staying. Either would undermine his negotiating position.
6. As for discussions with Todd Carney and others about seeing out his contract, his decision doesn't mean he was lying - maybe that was his intention and the time and things changed later to make him decide to move on. It happens - people waver on decisions all the time.
7. He should stay on for the rest of the year. I'm confident he's thoroughly professional and will give it his best. Plus I'm sure there is plenty he can still give to Dave Furner and the players. (Having said that, I do think Furner taking a more prominent, co-coaching role would be a good move).
8. If Neil or the players drop their bundle over this, they need to be told to grow up, get on with footy and if they can't deal with that they are clearly not professional enough for NRL football and should be pissed off out of it.
snapper
Terry Campese

Post by snapper »

replacement virtually announced...

David Furner likely new Raiders coach

Canberra chairman John McIntyre anointed former Test backrower David Furner as the next Raiders coach after the NRL club granted current mentor Neil Henry an early release.

The coaching jigsaw puzzle started taking shape with Henry released from the final year of his contract in 2009, a move which frees him to return to North Queensland next season.

The Cowboys denied Henry was a lock to succeed Graham Murray, but McIntyre said the Raiders job was Furner's for the taking.

"David Furner will take over, certainly at least as interim coach," McIntyre said.

"Neil's staying until the end of the year, David's his assistant coach and he's the logical choice to step up.

"I don't consider it to even be a punt.

"A couple of years ago when I got wind that David had finished his playing career with Leeds and I just said to the (Raiders) management `David's on his way home, find him a job.'

"In terms of bloodlines in coaching, his father (Don Furner) was an Australian coach so you could liken him to one of the Danehills."

McIntyre said he would expect Furner to become more hands on for the remainder of this season as Henry gradually handed over the reins.

Furner had a stellar playing career with the Raiders, playing 200 top grade games. He is still the club's leading pointscorer with 1218 points in the lime green.

After a stint in the English Super League, Furner returned to the nation's capital where he was installed as assistant coach in 2006, with McIntyre claiming Furner's ascension to the top job was only a matter of time.

"When (Matthew) Elliott went to Penrith I talked about David taking on the (Raiders head coaching) job then," McIntyre said.

"He very honestly said he wasn't ready to take the job on yet. I'm as certain as I can be that he's ready now.

"He's going to be hands on for a fair part of the season while Neil's away with State of Origin anyway."

Cowboys boss Peter Parr said while the club was interested in talking to Henry, no deal was currently in place.

"I haven't said to him that if you exit your contract with Canberra you've got the job here," Parr said.

"I've told him we'd be willing to discuss it with him."

The Raiders originally said they would not be releasing Henry from the final year of his three-year contract, but relented when they realised Henry's heart was elsewhere.

Henry had four years as an assistant at the Cowboys and is a longtime friend of Parr and North Queensland football manager Dean Lance.

"The board agreed not to stand in Neil's way and decided he would remain coach of the club until the end of the 2008 season," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

"Neil has agreed to see out the rest of the season and will remain head coach of the Raiders until October 31 this year."

Henry yesterday denied he would be seeking an immediate release, but the situation came to a head after a weekend news report claimed he was keen to accept a five-year deal tabled by the Cowboys.

"This has been the most difficult decision I have (had) to make," said Henry, who had been contracted through to the end of 2009.

"I am grateful for the opportunity that the club has given me, I'm relieved the decision is out of the road, and we're now focused on beating the Titans this weekend."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/david-furne ... -22ob.html
1982 till Eternity
Brett Mullins

Post by 1982 till Eternity »

myanonymoususername

:clap: Great post - good to see not all GH members have lost their sense of reason over this issue.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

snapper wrote:replacement virtually announced...
I thought so, they are happy about this. I am so over it.
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Well I am obviously late with getting the news. My instant opinion is that he can go and die in a ditch. What the F is loyalty these days....who knows what he could of done with this side. I want Furner now , our current coach would leave now if he could.

It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - 'We Are The Raiders Army'
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Poida_Raider »

ive had the same thoughts on waye bennett, in regard to him preferring to be out of the spotlight. if he went to a sydney club he'd always have a camera on him, he'd always be under praise or scrutiny.. in canberra he could make a real difference. id like to see what he could get out of our squad, the man knows his ****. and he is a coach with real drawing power. every player in the nrl knows he is a great coach.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Post by Rick James »

Neil:
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Thats is an absolute f**king disgrace. 99% of us disapproved of Elliot but our support of the team never wavered. We could sign Osama Bin Laden as coach and I'd still support them.[/quote]

At least Osama may help with our ability to put up accurate bombs :D :D
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

GreenHeart! Is Furious....sack him asap....how can his heart be in the job for this season...

Dolph
Jason Croker

Post by Dolph »

See ya **** :arrow:
I'm like the Phoenix, rising from Arizona.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

**** sack neil right away! what a ****, how dare he do that to us!! :| **** i hate it when they say one thing and to the other! put furner in charge for the rest of the season. At least his heart bleeds green. i dont want neil anywhere near the raiders, his heart isnt even with the raiders and never has been..HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE FAITH IN THE PLAYERS! he can start packing his bags right now and leave to nth qld right now as far as im concerned! **** YOU NEIL! :x I have lost all respect for you.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

and i also think we should bring laurie daley back to the club..get him and furner coaching the side..their heart has always been with the raiders.
Infamous GH!
Brett Mullins

Post by Infamous GH! »

Just left a short straight to the point message on HQ'S answering machine!! It won't do much but I feel better that they know how I feel about him.

willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

GreenHeart! wrote:Just left a short straight to the point message on HQ'S answering machine!! It won't do much but I feel better that they know how I feel about him.
thats the way mate :clap:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu wrote:He got offered a deal that was too good to refuse. Our management did the right thing and made a judgement on whether he was worth that to us. They have made the choice to release him, Henry has not reneged on his deal. It's disappointing because it probably damages our chances this year but I cant be critical of anyone over this.

The only thing I want to see is management go out and seek the best candidate for the job. Furner should have to apply and get selected on merit.
:shock: Sorry... how has Henry not "reneged on his deal"????!!!! He asked for a release from the contract!!! Of course he has reneged on the deal. The Raiders management handled it badly, but probably in the end had not much choice.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

**** this is depressing..everytime the raiders get a win something bad happens..we get a win against penriff, we lose zillman for the season; we get a win against the dragons; we lose phil graham (for the season??) AND lose neil henry! what are your predictions of more drama/disapointments for our next win??? :|
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wonder how Mal has taken the news that Neil Henry has decided to walk away from a signed contract. Mal was always a man of his word. I reckon privately, he would take a dim view of it. He may start looking for a new Queensland assistant coach. One who's word can be believed.

I think David Furner should not only take the reins, he should be free of the last jockey as well. You can't have two jockey's on a horse and win. It's time for management to make a firm decision and have a single head coach who really wants to be in the role. That means Neil Henry :arrow: