Danny Weidler column

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Danny Weidler column

Post by greeneyed »

It is a Weidler column... but it was mentioned in it today that Neil Henry is seen as a great up and coming coach, but that stories persist that the coach rubs some people at the Raiders up the wrong way...

I haven't met the coach, but it seems to me that these stories keep emerging as he doesn't accept second best... and has a clear idea where he wants to go... and unfortunately, with this team, there have probably been some players who he doesn't see as being part of the future...
Last edited by greeneyed on January 27, 2008, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

This rumour got a run during the week at Jubilee Avenue in a post about Todd Carney. I would say they are just repeating what we all heard last year. Weilder has picked it up from there, as he has a habit of doing with the half of his stories he doesnt get from Mundine.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

I read the words Danny Weilder and stopped reading... has the bloke ever got anything right?
Not even worth posting tbh

In the words of Craig Gower - Weilders a **** dribbler, tell him i said that"
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

The man's whole column is based around ambigious, anonymous, mud-slinging - he has to find something to write about.

Even if he's onto something, I don't mind at all - no one builds a winning team by being nice to everyone. There is a lot of dead wood and decidedly average players at this club, and like it or not, some simply have to go.
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

i always get the **** when people not involved in the club rags the coach
coaches dont miss tackles , coaches dont drop balls
players who are disgruntled are probably on the outer any way and if we have another ordinary season all those disgruntled players wont have any where to go if there off contract ,who would sign them ?
neil henry is the best thing to happen to this club in a long time
we all really need some patience , like the shampoo add , it wont happen over night but it will happen (i hope)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I am 100% certain there's a couple of players at the club pissed off at Henry.

I'm also 100% certain that Craig Bellamy would be the biggest prick on legs if the Storm wasn't getting the results they have been.

Our boys have been absolutely flogged during pre-season training, but come game time I'm confident they'll be firing. Those that want success with the new Green Machine will stay...those who want to **** around and couldn't be stuffed putting in the hard yards will go to Penrith.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Neil used to be my cricket coarch back at Erindale College, he took us and the League team. He is hard but fair, i remember at the time we all thought he was a bit tough on us. Then we started to win and won the ACT Schools comp and we realised that you need to do the extra miles and gym work. I believe that if we start winning the same will apply, the players will forget about the extra work they do because hopefully they realise what needs to be done to create a sucessfull team.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

I read that same page tonight at work and it was full of rabbit crap.

The rabbits did this, the rabbits did that.

I DON'T GIVE A STUFF WHAT THEY DO
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Players who are on the outer will always be unhappy with the coach.

All the noises Neil Henry has been making with respect to player selections for the coming season have been good ones, imo.

I think Henry made some blunders last year but I'm looking forward to a much improved showing from him and the team this year.

Danny Weiner should stick to telling his readers what a great guy Willie Mason is.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Danny Weidler column

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote:It is a Weidler column... but it was mentioned in it today that Neil Henry is seen as a great up and coming coach, but that stories persist that the coach rubs some people at the Raiders up the wrong way...

I haven't met the coach, but it seems to me that these stories keep emerging as he doesn't accept second best... and has a clear idea where he wants to go... and unfortunately, with this team, there have probably been some players who he doesn't see as being part of the future...
yeah saw that. to take too much interest in it you would like some more informtation - namely who has been rubbed up the wrong way and why.

Making comments like that mean that you are guaranteed to be right. Within an organisation of 100 odd people (depending on who you count - staff, players, coaches, more if you count sponsors, supporters, members etc), you are always going to get someone unhappy.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The 'weed' must have run short of column inches last Sunday. He could have substituted a number of coaches names and clubs to get the same story eg Bennett and Broncos, Folkes and Bulldogs, 'slapper' Brown and Dragons.

Neil Henry is trying to turn around a club which lost a heap of experience at the end of 2006. Everyone has their ideas on how it should be done, but, as head coach, he has the ultimate responsibility. If he bruises a few egos on the way to making the club successful again, then so be it. His job security depends on the performance of the Raiders.
He is entitled to run to the team as he sees fit.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On Bennett... interesting to see the stories that this year will be his last with the Broncos and he'll be going to Sydney in 2009, with St George the likely destination.
greennose
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by greennose »

perhaps the players will just have to be 1st class then there will be no problems
greennose
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

After 5 years of Mr Nice Guy Elliot who accepted mediocrity and was a pal to the players I bet Neil is a shock to the system of players who were rewarded for their mediocrity or got away with a slack attitude.

We have a fairly young squad and with players like Bronx, Todd and Purtell who are fairly extroverted and like to run amok, it is going to come to a head with a strict coach like Neil.

If we have to weed out a few egos and players who arent of the calibre requried to make this club a force again, then so be it. We were not the powerhouse in the 80s and 90s because Sheens let the players run the club and was their best friend. No, we were the best because the players done what they were told and had the best attitude towards the one thing that mattered; the club.

The modern player seems more interested in himself (generelly speaking). Our club wont tolerate that selfish crap anymore and if you cant deal with it, then p*ss off.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
prater
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Alan Tongue

Post by prater »

If we have to weed out a few egos and players who arent of the calibre requried to make this club a force again, then so be it. We were not the powerhouse in the 80s and 90s because Sheens let the players run the club and was their best friend. No, we were the best because the players done what they were told and had the best attitude towards the one thing that mattered; the club.

The modern player seems more interested in himself (generelly speaking). Our club wont tolerate that selfish crap anymore and if you cant deal with it, then p*ss off.
well said dubby couldnt agree more
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

I don't think it's fair to brand the likes of Purts and Toddy in that category. While it's obvious they are 'leaders' in off the field activities, they tend to be two of the more hard working individuals in the squad with the evidence of being rewarded positions in the centres and #7.

The technique of Hitler dictatorship only works when it's succesful. When it's not working the man in charge tends to become even tougher and negative which could relate to the woeful end of season campaign.
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!