All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders pitch in for Tsunami Appeal

Post by greeneyed »

From raiders.com

Raiders pitch in for Tsunami Appeal
13/01/05: The Canberra Raiders will make an appeal for donations at a charity cricket match against the Brumbies on February 1. But it hasn’t stopped the Green Machine pitching in for *'s Red Cross Tsunami Appeal Day.

Nine Raiders players will be at the Canberra Centre tomorrow to help with the Red Cross Tsunami Appeal, also being staged at Woden Plaza.

Captain Simon Woolford will join Raiders players Clinton Schifcofske, Jason Croker, Ryan O’Hara, Jason Smith, Matt Adamson, Adam Mogg, Lincoln Withers and Craig Frawley on the top floor of the Canberra Centre from noon.

They will meet fans and sign autographs (outside The Coffee Club), but will also walk through the Canberra Centre carrying Red Cross donation buckets.

Members of the Raiders cheer squad, the Raiderettes, will also contribute to the charity event and will help with donation collections at the Canberra Centre from 6.30pm.

The Raiders have thrown their energy behind tsunami relief efforts. The charity cricket match between the Raiders and Brumbies on Tuesday, February 1, is shaping as a great event.

The game will be held at the West Belconnen Leagues Club in Kippax from 4.30pm. There will be entertainment and celebrity guests. Entry is by donation.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

good work canberra
this and the charity match sure makes you proud to be a fan of our great organisation
Boing Boing
Simon Woolford

Post by Boing Boing »

Wish i'd read that before my lunch hour, i work 2 minutes from the canberra centre
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

benmeyer wrote:Wish i'd read that before my lunch hour, i work 2 minutes from the canberra centre
unlucky
say your goin for a smoke-o :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I went to the Canberra Centre this afternoon. The only Raiders jerseys I saw were in the Fone Zone booth.

However, I walked past the stage where the Red Cross appeal had been held and there was a pile of posters with the Raiders season draw, some pics of the players and a list of Raiders players....

I picked one up, but only realised when I got to the car that Simon Woolford and Clinton Schifcofske had signed the poster just above their names..... :D

The parking was free at the Canberra Centre, but the Red Cross was at the gate asking for donations instead.

The Raiderettes were going to turn up tonight.

Well done Raiders and Raiderettes!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I went to the Canberra Centre this morning, but left before 12.

If I knew they were coming I wouldve stuck around a lil longer :thumbsdown
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It says on WIN TV news that it has raised $30,000 so far today.

There was no coverage of the Raiders, however.
Catherine
John Ferguson

Post by Catherine »

Hello this is my first post. :lol:

I went to the Canberra Center about 12.30 and I got all who were there to sign the poster and my hat.

Had a chat with Clinton and he said for all the season ticket holders, they should get there packs soon as they have been having troubles with the printing of the cards.

Catherine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

:welcome Catherine. We were all wondering who you were and when you would post... :D
Catherine
John Ferguson

Post by Catherine »

Thanks greeneyed.

I wished I had taken my Camera.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Welcome to the forum Catherine .... join in whenever you want ... advise to steer clear from R_69 :lol:
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

Funny, that match coincides with my cricket training. What's even funnier is that the game is about 100m from my cricket training, at the home if the GWB Tigers CC 8)
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Bay56 wrote:Welcome to the forum Catherine .... join in whenever you want ... advise to steer clear from R_69 :lol:
ohh see thats just mean
ruinin my mojo bay :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Summary of story from today's CT:

Raiders, Brumbies pitch in for charity

Rugby union players will go head to head with their rugby league rivals when Super 12 champions the Brumbies takes on the Canberra Raiders in a charity match to raise money for the Tsunami victims.

But the burning question of which code produces the best footy players will go unanswered, with the two teams meeting on the cricket pitch rather than a rugby field.

And the 13 a side code won't be disadvantaged with both teams fielding 20 a side in the cricket match.

The concept will be launched today by Clinton Schifcofske and Stirling Mortlock with all money raised in the cross code game on Tuesday, February 1, to be donated to the tsunami appeal.

"There's always a lot of talk about the rivalry between the Brumbies and the Raiders for the market niche in Canberra" Raiders captain Simon Woolford said. "We've played a few games against the Brumbies before and we enjoy it. It's going to be even better this time because it's for a good cause and we'll hopefully raise a lot of money for tsunami victims."

The union and league players will be joined by celebrities, including NSW wicket keeper Brad Haddin, and will aim to raise about $20,000.

Woolford said the Raiders were still feeling the sting of being beaten by the Brumbies last time they met in a cricket game.

"So we picked a strong team this year" he said. "We've got a couple of net sessions leading into it. It will be pretty competitive out there and I'm tipping the Raiders in a close win."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

From www.raiders.com.au

*'s favourite footy teams launch appeal
21/01/05: *'s the game every Canberra footy fan has been waiting for. *'s the Raiders versus the Brumbies … league versus union … and it’ll take place on a cricket pitch!

The Canberra Raiders and Brumbies Rugby launched the HOWZAT! Cross-Code Charity Appeal today, which the two clubs are aiming to make an annual event.

This *'s cricket match will be held at West Belconnen Leagues Club in Kippax on Tuesday, February 1, with all funds raised going towards the Asian Tsunami Relief.

The 20-overs-a-side match will have modified rules, to ensure plenty of runs and entertainment for the crowd. Selected players will also be wearing ‘microphones’ for running commentary.

A load of Canberra and national sporting identities have already confirmed their attendance, ranging from Olympic gold medalists to world-class cricketers. Some have volunteered to jump in on the action for a few overs.

There will be autograph tents for fans to meet their favourite players and guest celebrities. Brumbies and Raiders merchandise and memberships will be available, with 10 per cent of sales going to charity.

“I don’t think the quality will be as good as we saw in the Rest of the World game recently, but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of fun,” said Raiders fullback Clinton Schifcofske.

Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock was pleased *'s two leading football teams could combine for such good cause.

â€*'s great to be teaming up with the Raiders. The players get on very well together, but I’m sure once we get out on the pitch the competitive juices will start flowing.”

The two clubs named their squads today and there is plenty of cricket talent on the two teams. Brumbies halfback George Gregan was a star schoolboy cricketer, while Raiders forward Matt Adamson opened the batting with Adam Gilchrist in the NSW U17s.

Entry is by donation and Oxfam has put its support behind the event. Gates open at 3.30pm for a 4.30pm start.

RAIDERS

1. MATT ELLIOTT
2. SIMON WOOLFORD
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. MATT ADAMSON
5. JASON CROKER
6. TODD CARNEY
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. RYAN O’HARA
9. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. KRIS KAHLER
12. MATT GAFA
13. BRONX GOODWIN
14. ALAN TONGUE
15. ADAM MOGG

BRUMBIES

1. STIRLING MORTLOCK
2. MATT GITEAU
3. GEORGE GREGAN
4. JEREMY PAUL
5. RADIKE SAMO
6. MARK CHISHOLM
7. TAMAITI HORUA
8. JOEL WILSON
9. HENARI VERATAU
10. JULIAN SALVI
11. PATRICK PHIBBS
12. DAVID PALAVI
13. PETER OWENS
14. GENE FAIRBANKS
15. TATAFU NAU
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

WIN TV Canberra News tonight highlighted the launch of the Raiders v Brumbies charity cricket match. Nothing new really in terms of the facts. Clinton Schifcofske and Stirling Mortlock were interviewed. Clinton Schifcofske said that the Raiders had put in a bit of practice in the nets. Mortlock suggested that there were rumours that the Raiders were bringing along a few "ring ins".
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

it will be good to see David Gallop facing Nathan Bracken out in the middle. Each connection of leather and willow is $500+ into the charity bucket....the raiders get Haddin to bat with them, and Brumbies get Bracken to bowl a few.
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

From today's CT:

ACT pitch invasion as codes clash for charity
By John-Paul Moloney Cricket
Saturday, 22 January 2005

Matt Elliott rates himself a left-arm bowler, Matt Giteau wants Michael Clarke's Test spot and Clinton Schifcofske admits he's a bunny with the bat.

What's hype and what's modest understatement will be known on February 1 when the ACT Brumbies and the Canberra Raiders contest a tsunami appeal fund-raising cricket match at West Belconnen Leagues Club.

Raiders fullback Schifcofske faced some gentle lobs from the media at the launch of the match yesterday, watched from behind an imaginary set of stumps by Brumbies skipper Stirling Mortlock.

"I dont think the quality will be as good as we saw in the Rest of the World game recently, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of fun," Schifcofske said.

"It's only a small community Canberra and it's great to be able to get both the Raiders and the Brumbies together for a terrific cause."

The pair announced their 15-man squads for the 20-over match, with both line-ups boasting a few potential dangermen.

For the Raiders coach Elliott, prop Matt Adamson and five-eighth Todd Carney all boast impressive cricketing CVs.

Not to be outdone with the leather and willow, the Brumbies have also produced a formidable attack.

The Brumbies' strongest include Wallaby captain George Gregan, who played junior representative cricket, Joel Wilson and, according to Mortlock, self- proclaimed star Matt Giteau.

"He's got the fancy hair-do similar to Michael Clarke, he does a lot of things similar to Michael Clarke and I he likes to think he plays as well as him too," Mortlock said of Giteau.

"We'll have to wait and see how the kid performs under pressure on February 1."

Organisers from the clubs hope the event will raise more than $50,000 to be donated to Oxfam to aid its tsunami relief program.

Entry to the match - hoped to attract a crowd of about 5000 - will be by donation.

Sponsors aligned with both clubs will chip in donations throughout the match.

NRL boss David Gallop will attempt to face NSW quick Nathan Bracken between innings, with $500 being donated to the appeal every time Gallop connects with a delivery.

Bracken and former ACT cricketer Brad Haddin will be adding some much- needed cricketing credibility to the event as "ring-ins".

At some stage of the match Haddin will bat for the Raiders and Bracken will bowl for the Brumbies.

To protect the crowd sitting along the very short square boundaries, the match will be played with a softer indoor cricket ball instead of the standard leather.

That amendment suited Mortlock, who suffered a depressed cheek fracture during the Wallabies' spring tour of Europe.

"I think we're playing with a rubber ball so I don't think there'll be too much damage if a few bouncers happen to come my way."

The Brumbies and Raiders last met in a social match of cricket in 2001, although neither Mortlock or Schifcofske could recall the winner of that encounter.

The league and union teams hope to make the charity encounter an annual event.