Carney a chance for Country spot

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Selectors have confirmed Canberra Raiders' five eighth Todd Carney is in contention for a Country Origin debut next month.

Chairman of Country selectors Jock Colley said Carney's form had been impressive and they will be watching closely tonight when he clashes with Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley.

Country selectors, including Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy, favour the experienced Kimmorley at halfback. But Colley said the selectors were not afraid to back youth, a bonus for 20 year old Carney.

"One of the main requirements is that the players dead set want to play for Country. Sometimes some of the older players don't really have that same desire" Colley said.

Country selectors had a preliminary meeting last weekend and Colley said "two or three" members mentioned Carney.

But while Manly's Brett Stewart is favourite to be selected at fullback there is an opportunity for utility players Kurt Gidley, Preston Campbell and Ben Hornby to play five eighth.

Despite being out of form at club level, Colley said Parramatta's Brett Finch was also in contention becasue of last year's man of the match performance against City.

Carney, raised in Goulburn, set a goal at the start of this season to represent Country. He welcomed tonight's opportunity against Kimmorley to enhance his bid. Colley has also pushed for Raiders captain Alan Tongue as Country lock.

"He's a bloke I bring up because of his work rate. he gives 300 per cent every game."

The Country and City teams will be selected on April 29, for the Coffs Harbour match on May 3.

The Canberra Times
bazzamcgrath
Ken Nagas

Post by bazzamcgrath »

That is awesome news! Great to hear their at least lookin at him. But i don't understand why they want him at half? He can play very well there, but he on form this year has been the best 5/8 in the game. Why not give him the spot he is dominating.
And on Alan Tongue, if he isn't the lock this year then i don't know what else the bloke can do.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Interesting that they're considering him for the halfback position when he's well and truly over-shadowed Hornby and Campbell this year. It would be fantastic if he got in over Kimmorley though, that would be huge. We can expect a big game from Carney tonight, I'm now a little more confident of a Raiders victory.
bazzamcgrath wrote:And on Alan Tongue, if he isn't the lock this year then i don't know what else the bloke can do.
Greg Bird probably.
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Albi »

I was really hoping Tongue will get a chance. I had tagged Miller as a potential starter a couple of years ago, however, last years injury put him back a couple of years I think.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Maltese Raider
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Maltese Raider »

Carney, Tongue and Costigan are our front runners for representative duties this year. If anyone else is chosen it will be a bit of a shock I guess
Chief Chujo
David Grant

Post by Chief Chujo »

A joke if Carney doesn't get a country spot. How do they expect to fix NSWs problems at half if they won't back the likes of Carney, Mullen and co in City V Country.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Carney can't play unless it's at Canberra Stadium so that pretty much rules him out I think
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Well our forwards tonight certainly didn't help him push a case for Country.
brenno
Peter Jackson

Post by brenno »

the raiders are a young team so i think representative honours may elude some of our most talented players until they can get some consistency. Conceeding so many points away from home is a concern. Henry needs to address that. I think Lahrs may be a bolter if he can get some form going. Carney, tongue and costigan are def the Raiders best chances at origin this year.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Carney isn't going to get the sort of time he's had in recent games. Cronulla did their homework and shut Carney down last night. Teams we play in the future will reference what the Sharks did and now we'll see how good Todd really is.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Walt Flanigan wrote:Carney isn't going to get the sort of time he's had in recent games. Cronulla did their homework and shut Carney down last night. Teams we play in the future will reference what the Sharks did and now we'll see how good Todd really is.
Are you questioning TC's abilities Walt ??

The amount of time Carney has to weave his magic will also depend on Henry's tactics and how well our forwards perform.

As I mentioned in a previous post, if we rely on one man we will not make the grade. Yes, Carney is the main playmaker but we have to have options both sides of the ruck to counteract the tactics used by astute coaches such as Stuart.

And if our forwards are dominated as they were against the Sharks he's got buckleys chance of being able to throw that cut-out pass in the oppositions red zone that has given us the winning edge in the games we have won this season.
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

Bay56 wrote:
Walt Flanigan wrote:Carney isn't going to get the sort of time he's had in recent games. Cronulla did their homework and shut Carney down last night. Teams we play in the future will reference what the Sharks did and now we'll see how good Todd really is.
Are you questioning TC's abilities Walt ??
Not at all. I'm saying that Carney is going to be under a lot more pressure from now on and it will be interesting to see how he handles it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't think there is any doubt that Todd Carney and a few others played with injury against the Sharks. Dobbo and Phil Graham had to pass fitness tests the day before the match. They can't have trained much together and it showed in the teams performance. The fact that Carney is targetted by the opposition is a sign of respect. How he deals with it will show if he can get to the next level consistently.

Rep teams are not selected on a single performance, good or bad. I am green to the core so I think Todd Carney and Alan Tongue will be in the frame for Country. My bolter from the Raiders, if he can put in a couple of solid performances to go with last years form is Troy Thompson. He takes the ball up hard, his handling has improved out of sight on a couple of years ago and his defence has no question marks about it. In a well beaten team, he had an aggressive go.
greenhat
Simon Woolford

Post by greenhat »

Gotta feel bad for Horse
I reckon country rep would have been on his mind as that ankle twisted
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:I don't think there is any doubt that Todd Carney and a few others played with injury against the Sharks. Dobbo and Phil Graham had to pass fitness tests the day before the match. They can't have trained much together and it showed in the teams performance. The fact that Carney is targetted by the opposition is a sign of respect. How he deals with it will show if he can get to the next level consistently.

Rep teams are not selected on a single performance, good or bad. I am green to the core so I think Todd Carney and Alan Tongue will be in the frame for Country. My bolter from the Raiders, if he can put in a couple of solid performances to go with last years form is Troy Thompson. He takes the ball up hard, his handling has improved out of sight on a couple of years ago and his defence has no question marks about it. In a well beaten team, he had an aggressive go.
Agree with you. Dobbo, Phil and Carney played like they just wanted to get hrough the game unhurt but I doubt it will hurt TC's country rep prospects.
Also think TLL is in with a shot for the country boys if he plays well this week, remember he was mentioned as a soo bolter last year.
Tonguey will be up against Bird for the 13 jersey which is a good tussle but Bird is in good form(despite how badly I hate him)
Edrick The Entertainer
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

BSB Raiderman wrote:Also think TLL is in with a shot for the country boys if he plays well this week, remember he was mentioned as a soo bolter last year.
To be honest, I think he was only considered a SOO bolter when everyone thought he was a Queenslander. There is no way he'll make the NSW pack IMO. I'll happily eat my words, but he hasn't played enough this season to warrant even a country spot, again, IMO.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

According to raiders.com.au TLL is born at Tamworth, NSW and his junior club is Farrer Agricultural. Where is that?
Maybe they thought he was a queenslander was because he played for the Broncos
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

david231280 wrote:According to raiders.com.au TLL is born at Tamworth, NSW and his junior club is Farrer Agricultural. Where is that?
Pretty sure it is west of Tamworth in regional NSW, Tonguey also went to that School. as did Phil?
Last edited by Sasha on April 24, 2007, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Schifty wrote:
david231280 wrote:According to raiders.com.au TLL is born at Tamworth, NSW and his junior club is Farrer Agricultural. Where is that?
Pretty sure it is west of Tamworth in regional NSW, Tonguey also went to that School. as did Phil.
Guess our Talent scouts love that school.
Been good so far!!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Thommy said himself he wasn't sure who he qualified for as he played with the qld u17's I'm pretty sure was the story last year. Anyway a big one from him this week won't hurt!
Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Judging by the media reports the last couple of days it looks like Todd has dissapeared off the face of the earth when it comes to rep footy. He did have one shocker but if Travis Burns is a better player then i am not here. There have been two articles about the 5/8ths available for NSW and pretty much every player has been mentioned as a possible except Carney.

I am pretty use to our players been ignored but its getting ridiculous. No wonder players leave.
Gillfish
David Furner
Favourite Player: Canberra No1's since 1986

Post by Gillfish »

Brett 80 minutes away from Blues nod
Greg Prichard and Glenn Jackson | April 27, 2007

BRETT Kimmorley is one good game away from clinching the NSW halfback spot for State of Origin I against Queensland at Suncorp Stadium on May 23.

Kimmorley, who has returned to his best form for Cronulla under new coach Ricky Stuart this season, is set to be chosen for Country when the team is named on Sunday night for the game against City at Coffs Harbour next Friday.

It remains to be seen who the City selectors will pit against Kimmorley when they also name their team on Sunday, with Penrith's Craig Gower and Manly's Matt Orford the halfback contenders.

However, the Herald understands Orford's late bid may well be successful. Gower is likely to be included somewhere in the squad, but may have to be satisfied with a place on the bench.

Orford was injured playing for Manly in the opening round of the NRL and did not return until last Sunday, when he slipped straight back into gear in the 20-6 win over Gold Coast.

There is concern at both NSW and City level over the ordinary form of Gower for the Panthers. The way things stand now, Orford is the biggest threat to Kimmorley for the NSW spot - but the Cronulla man has the edge because he has been playing strongly on a consistent basis, while Orford is short of football.

Selection would complete a remarkable comeback at representative level for Kimmorley after he was dumped from the Blues side following game one of the 2005 series.

Kimmorley can make it a no-brainer by duplicating his recent club form for Country, while Orford - if chosen as City halfback - can put the heat on Noddy by outpointing him in that game.

Last year, City selectors named Orford at halfback, Gower at five-eighth and Braith Anasta, of the Sydney Roosters, at lock - even though Gower was effectively auditioning for the NSW halfback role and Anasta for NSW five-eighth.

Those selection decisions didn't help to make the NSW picture any clearer and they are unlikely to be repeated on Sunday. Anasta, whose form has gradually improved this season and has been particularly strong over the last couple of weeks, is expected to be chosen as City five-eighth.

NSW selectors are looking at Anasta and Manly's Jamie Lyon as five-eighth contenders, as well as a couple of youngsters in Canberra's Todd Carney and Newcastle's Jarrod Mullen.

Much depends on how strongly they view the contenders for the centres, where Lyon will be selected if he fails to make five-eighth. Anasta is favourite to pick up the No.6 jumper for the Blues at this stage.
Lyon, who began the season at five-eighth for Manly but was quickly switched to centre after Steve Matai was injured, is exempt from playing for Country because he played for Australia in the Test victory over New Zealand last Friday.

It would seem too early for the selectors to punt on Mullen, with even his club coach, Brian Smith, expressing doubts over his readiness. Despite selectors admitting they were watching him with interest, Smith said: "I think that would be a massive ask for that boy.

"On his talent level, yes - but in terms of his actual performance and future development, I'm not sure about that. It's a great compliment for him, but it's not a smart idea at this stage."

An even bigger logjam is developing in the forwards, with Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Bailey, Andrew Ryan, Steve Simpson and Anthony Tupou all exempt from the City-Country after playing in the Test.

Logic would suggest they would be picked for the first Origin clash. However, should the likes of Ben Creagh, Greg Bird, Reni Maitua, Ryan Hoffman, Anthony Laffranchi and Paul Gallen impress in the City-Country fixture, one or more may come under pressure.

That has given Simpson at least some nerves at not being able to put his best foot forward in the annual State of Origin trial next week.

"I guess if someone has a great game, there's not much you can do about it," Simpson said. "I just have to keep playing well for the club. Hopefully it'll be enough.

"That's the way it works now. It would be great to play for Country, but there's no point getting too upset about it."

Souths coach Jason Taylor, meanwhile, has thrown his support behind a call-up to the City side for winger Nathan Merritt.

Merritt has been one of the outstanding wingers in the competition so far, scoring six tries this season to add to his 22 last year. "I'd be really surprised if he doesn't make the City-Country," Taylor said. "He should be in the team."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/br ... 83784.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well at least he got a run in the SMH I guess. They must have a reporter who actually watches our games.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Merritt should have played for Australia.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders_Lover_18 wrote:Merritt should have played for Australia.
:lol:

Sorry. He's in El Tragic's class to me, excellent club player non rep player. I know it's an old fable but "Not big enough". You wouldn't have either of these 2 in front of the guys who were there when you can pick a guy 6 foot plus 95kgs and quick like King, Tate, Inglis, Grothe, Tahu especially agains monsters like Vatuvei. I honestly think NSW will pick Mini on a wing and Stewart at fullback or vice versa.
Edrick The Entertainer
Tina Furner
David Furner

Post by Tina Furner »

edwahu wrote:Judging by the media reports the last couple of days it looks like Todd has dissapeared off the face of the earth when it comes to rep footy. He did have one shocker but if Travis Burns is a better player then i am not here.
I thought Burns was from QLD?
Herbert dug a hole

Good on ya Herb!
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

Meninga wrote:
edwahu wrote:Judging by the media reports the last couple of days it looks like Todd has dissapeared off the face of the earth when it comes to rep footy. He did have one shocker but if Travis Burns is a better player then i am not here.
I thought Burns was from QLD?
So did I , from memory it's some small town called "Roma" , or am I thinking of someone else:?

Anyway look like Tonguey is our big hope for Country now.
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Poida_Raider »

ignorace is bliss.

roma is in queensland, so if travis burns is from there then i would suggest he could play for queenslad. so i guess you thought right in the first place.

and as for tonguey, philthy, and tom.

well tonguey and tom went to farrer (as did richard swain, trent salkeld (knights) and peter (pj) taylor (who played a couple games for souths a couple years ago, and was best mates with tom in high school))

phil is from tamworth too but he went to peel high,

brad tighe from the knights went to tamworth high.

oh sorry i'm off topic, but i just wanted to correct some people, not that it really mattered too much. ok hooroo!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Where have you been Poida?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

sorry, should have mentioned there was a big article about the blues trying to get Travis Burns declared eligible for them because they apparently have no 5/8ths.
Royston Lightning 1
Peter Jackson

Post by Royston Lightning 1 »

I thought Carney was a cert for country then a rough show for NSW but his one on one defence has not been great of late and would need to improve before he could play rep footy.
Panthers for the Spoon. Word has it Poland had a stronger defensive line in 1939.
Poida_Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Poida_Raider »

greeneyed wrote:Where have you been Poida?
i've come over to western australia to work for a while and i havent had a great deal of internet time, just reading a few things during work breaks etc.. altho where i'm working at the moment i can get on a bit more. i'll post when i think i've got something good to say!! which will probably be rarely.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poida_Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Where have you been Poida?
i've come over to western australia to work for a while and i havent had a great deal of internet time, just reading a few things during work breaks etc.. altho where i'm working at the moment i can get on a bit more. i'll post when i think i've got something good to say!! which will probably be rarely.
Doesn't stop the rest of us Poida! Hope you are enjoying it in WA and GH keeps you in touch with the Raiders..
LimeGreenVictor
Simon Woolford

Post by LimeGreenVictor »

Blues at sixes and sevens
By Barry Toohey

April 27, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

ONE was rumoured to have had his papers stamped never to play Origin halfback again. The other has been tried at five-eighth for the Blues without a great deal of success and was considered by his club coach at the start of the season as better suited to lock.

Hardly the sort of combination you would put your house on to send a shiver up the spine of the Maroons, who just happen to boast the world's best halves pairing in Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer.

But right now, Brett Kimmorley and Braith Anasta appear to have the inside running to fill the role for the Blues in this year's Origin series.

Neither are shoo-ins, mind you.

Kimmorley – who must have thought his Origin career was over after he was dumped following game one in 2005 – will have to beat off challenges from Manly's Matt Orford and Panther Craig Gower. Anasta has the likes of Jamie Lyon and Kurt Gidley to think about.

Gidley is likely to be the Country Origin five-eighth but his outstanding form this season, which has him leading the Dally M Medal count, has come from playing in a roving role at fullback for Newcastle.

Even his club coach Brian Smith won't entertain the thought of moving him back into the No. 6 jumper.

Lyon is being touted but he is regarded as one of the game's best centres. And he's only played 10 minutes of football at five-eighth this season for Manly.

A move to pivot would be a gamble the Blues might not be prepared to accommodate.

That basically leaves Anasta, who started the season with the Sydney Roosters at lock before his shift back to five-eighth.

He has been good in a beaten side and his contribution to the club's first win of the season on Anzac Day against the Dragons was timely.

After him, though, the cupboard of contenders is decidedly bare.

So much so that early in the week three Blues legends were all prepared to gamble by tossing untried Sea Eagles bolter Travis Burns into the fray, even though he is suspended for the next two weeks.

Former Parramatta Eel Brett Kenny, ex-Blues halfback and coach Tommy Raudonikis and mercurial former Manly star Cliff Lyons all nominated Burns as the player who should be unleashed on the Maroons.

It seemed radical but underlined just how big the problem the Blues selectors are facing.

Only problem with it is, as we later discovered, Burns is not even eligible. He's a Queenslander. It seems we can't even find a bolter to fit the bill.

Kenny, whose match-ups against Wally Lewis are part of Origin folklore, says the dearth of genuine five-eighths in the competition is a worry, not just for NSW now but for Australia in the future when Lockyer finally decides to hang up his boots.

During the past two decades, the Blues have had the likes of Kenny, Lyons, Terry Lamb, Matthew Johns, Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler to call on.

"We have had some great five-eighths, an embarrassment of riches," Kenny said. "But the way the game has gone, we are just not producing them any more.

"Clubs are manufacturing blokes to play there. I don't know what it is but surely we can find someone. Maybe we could get Queensland to lend us one."

Raudonikis was equally at a loss.

"Things do look pretty bleak. Who have we got?

"It's a bad state of affairs when we can't find a five-eighth."

Just like Kenny, Raudonikis went for Burns before it was realised he wasn't even in the equation but also gave Anasta support.

"To be brutally honest, I've never rated him that highly but I've got to say he has been playing some pretty good footy this season in a struggling side," he said.

Kenny said he would be happy with either Kimmorley or Matt Orford in the halfback role while Raudonikis went for Kimmorley.

"Kimmorley, the way he is playing for the Sharks, his defence is very aggressive," he said.

"I haven't seen him in that frame of mind before."

When asked to weigh into the debate over the NSW five-eighth spot, former series-winning captain Steve Mortimer admitted he needed some time to think it over.

"Who is out there – there aren't too many," he said.

"We don't have the bank account that Queensland has.

"I wouldn't say NSW is in trouble – we will come up with a competitive side.

"But their dominating factor is Lockyer. Unfortunately, our dominating factor retired from the game a couple of weeks ago."

Mortimer said he would not have a problem with either Kimmorley or Gower at halfback and believes Anasta deserves another opportunity in the No. 6 jumper.

But he is a huge Gidley fan and says the Knights star has to be in the 17 somewhere.

"I've really enjoyed watching him compete this season so they have to find somewhere in the 17 for him," Mortimer added.

"Anasta's been having a real dig and is playing well. I don't think he would let them down.

"I'd go with the tried guys."

Cliff Lyons said he was not in favour of moving Jamie Lyon from the centres.

"I think he is the world's best centre so why move him," Lyons said.

"We are a bit light on but I wouldn't be shifting him."

After initially supporting Burns' selection, Lyons said he was also an Anasta fan.

"He's a quality player who has been there before," he said.

"As for the halfback spot, I'd be going for Kimmorley."

Whatever way you look at it, according to Raudonikis, the Maroons will start favourites in the series.

But Tommy, being Tommy, is not hoisting the white flag.

"Provided they pick the right forward pack, you are always a hope in State of Origin," he said.

"We have to take no prisoners. If we want to beat them, we have to have that attitude.

"It has to be dog-eat-dog out there."

Half measures

Current NRL halfbacks and five-eights eligible for NSW

Craig Gower(Panthers)
Daniel Holdsworth(Bulldogs)
Brent Sherwin(Bulldogs)
Matt Orford(Sea Eagles)
Joe Williams(Souths)
Jarrod Mullen(Knights)
John Morris(Tigers)
Brett Kimmorley(Sharks)
Michael Dobson(Raiders)
Mitchell Pearce(Roosters)
Ben Hornby(Dragons)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Brett Finch(Eels)...I do want the blues to win...
Matt Hilder(Titans)
Michael Monaghan(Sea Eagles)
Kurt Gidley(Knights)
Adam Dykes(Sharks)
Todd Carney(Raiders)
Braith Anasta(Roosters)
Richie Williams(Dragons)
Jamie Lyon(Sea Eagles)

Source: Daily Telecrap
"Nobody's looked better in the Lime Green except maybe Kermit the Frog..." - Reg Reagan.
IN FURNER I TRUST.
You'll never walk alone with Liverpool FC.
Die hard Indianapolis Colts fan.
They can never tear us apart:- Newcastle United Jets FC