Clubs eye off pricey Anasta

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Clubs eye off pricey Anasta

Post by greeneyed »

Summary of a story from today's CT:

A long term solution to the Canberra Raiders' halves problems could be just around the corner in the form of Australian and NSW five eighth Braith Anasta.

With speculation building that the Bulldogs will be unable to keep the star pivot beyond this season, many NRL clubs will be lining up to bid for the 23 year old's services.

Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad revealed last night that the club had made last ditch final offers to Sonny Bill Williams, Willie Mason and Anasta and would not budge from their positions. "We're not trying to play hard ball, it's just the reality of the situation" Noad said.

The NRL's 15 CEO's were generally supportive of a proposal yesterday to allow greater flexibility to make third party sponsor payments to 2 players on each club's roster. But some CEO's were cautious, as the scheme could create divisions within a club if only two players were eligible and could be difficult to police. The clubs have 10 days to comment on the proposal further.

Noad felt the scheme was unlikely to help the Bulldogs retain their star trio, even if it was to get off the ground quickly.

Noad's comments confirmed the emerging view that the Dogs will struggle to keep Anasta at the club.

Although the Raiders restocked their halves supply this season with Lincoln Withers and Jason Smith, it is only a short term solution.

Withers is in for the long haul with a four year contract, but Smith is only signed for one year. Turning 33 this month, it is uncertain how many years Smith will continue playing in the NRL.

If the Raiders could secure Anasta to a long term contract from next year, they would have a dynasty building halves combination with Anasta and Withers.

Meanwhile, Withers will turn out for the Raiders at halfback in this weekend's trial against the club he left the Raiders for in 2001 - the Wests Tigers.

An Australian schoolboy while growing up in Canberra, Withers only played a handfull of games for the Raiders senior team before heading to Sydney.

But after 3 years away, Withers was keep to come back. "It was a tough decision to leave. I grew up here and never really had thoughts of leaving. But that's how footy goes. I went to Sydney and really enjoyed it. Now that I'm back I think I'm better for it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The thing that worried me about the original article, written by someone called Andrew Benson was that there was no mention made of Carney or Zillman........ nothing about local juniors coming up. I wonder how well sourced it was.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

No please Management !!!!! ..... we dont need Anasta ... we have enough of his type at the club ... our own home grown talent .... spend the money Big Willy.
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

agreed buy willie manson or keep the money in the pocket will work on our own talent and if we get something good keep it so those poaching roosters cant have it
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

I too was worried when I read this, but I noticed on re-reading that nobody at the club had been quoted as thinking this was a good idea. As far as I'm concerned this "news" article should have had the word OPINION in big black letters at the top.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

I'm pretty sure i remember Furner Jr. stating "we would be stupid to not examine the option of signing a player of Braith's calibre should he become available". In a sense that's true, but it goes against the supposed plan that's been put into place with Carney, Zillman, Campese etc. Surely they can't be THAT stupid.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

please no :(
kevo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by kevo »

I do not see the problem!Anasta is young and has plenty of potential,a great kicking game,and would be a great addition!Woolford will be gone soon and im sure Withers will then be hooker,with Carney at half.Carney and Withers are both there for the long term,so it will all fall into place in the end.I would love to see Withers at number 9 with a half combo of Carney and Anasta.I really see no problem with that.Either way if we target Mason or Anasta,we cant go wrong....
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

i'd like to get another big forward so either go for mason or sbw over anasta
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
kevo
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by kevo »

Well we where targeting Kite when we had Wiki and Davico,so if that was there thinking then,i guess they must be desperate now!!!Big willie would look good in green.Any big name player is a good start...On the other hand this season is only a week away (2weeks for us) lets just see how this year goes!