All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Smith to solve Raiders' halves headache

Post by Greenblooded »

Smith to solve Raiders' halves headache

28 February 2005

Many people might disagree but Canberra coach Matt Elliott believes veteran five-eighth Jason Smith is the answer to his halves headache.

With Brad Drew and Mark McLinden leaving the Raiders at the end of 2004, the NRL club desperately need a playmaker.

Enter 32-year-old Smith.

After four injury-plagued years with English club Hull, Smith is the surprise recruit Elliott has seconded to the nation's capital.

He has not played in the NRL since leaving Parramatta at the end of 2000 and was set to retire, but he is now expected to be a pivotal figure in Canberra's hopes for this season.

The Raiders have copped some flak for recruiting Smith, however, his impact at five-eighth in Saturday night's 26-20 trial loss in Toowoomba against Brisbane was clearly evident.

He played a leading hand in most backline moves and showed he still had enough speed and skill to cause opposition side's headaches.

In one sensational play he chipped ahead and again grubbered past Justin Hodges before regathering and scoring under the posts for a first half try.

His combination with former Dragons half Lincoln Withers has given Elliott enough confidence he may have found a formidable pairing.

"When they were fresh, both halves looked pretty good," Elliott said.

"He (Smith) looked dangerous. I thought we lost a bit when he got tired and when he came off.

"He and Lincoln (Withers) were starting to build a fairly good combination."

Elliott's recruitment of Smith has received plenty of criticism, yet it may prove a stroke of genius if the Raiders can fight their way into the top eight again this year.

The Raiders coach believes too many people are writing Smith off, and that will be to their own detriment.

"I don't know why everyone thinks just because he's been overseas for four years he can't play anymore," he said.

"He's still looking a class player to me."

While Jason Smith will play an pivotal role with the Raiders in 2005, his older brother Darren will form a vastly difference piece of the jigsaw with the Broncos.

Smith, 36, has been dual registered by the Broncos and Queensland Cup club Easts Tigers, where the former international is also chief executive.

The contract came about largely due to Smith making two appearances for his former NRL club in 2004, when the Broncos were ravaged by injury and State of Origin commitments.

He proved last season he still had the ability to play at the highest level, guiding Easts to the Queensland Cup grand final.

Again on Saturday night Smith's defence was a highlight as he pulled off a number of big shots on his Raiders opponents.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said he included Smith in the squad to help him feel at home if he was called upon.

Bennett, however, said he didn't expect to see Smith in Broncos colours again anytime soon.

"I just wanted to bring him up here because it was tough on him last year when he came in and played," Bennett said.

"He knew some of the older guys, but not the newer players.

"He'll be more of a back-up around Origin time, but when we need him he'll be a bit more ready."

From www.nrl.com.au
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought these were amusing stories from today's SMH, both Smith related:

Everything old is Smith again:

Jason Smith v Darren Smith - in 2005? That was the spectacle on show for fans in Toowoomba on Saturday night. Jason, 33 this week, was first on the scene for Canberra when Bronco Justin Hodges muffed an attempt to catch a downfield kick and was rewarded with a try. Darren, 36, came on midway through the game and acquainted himself with men more than a decade-and-a-half younger than him, who he will play alongside at Origin time. "It's way beyond the call, it's unbelievable at that age," Jason said. "Obviously he's looked after himself and it's a credit to him." Terry Hill, 33, is also set to join them after two impressive pre-season performances for Manly.

Brisbane 26 Canberra 20
Clive Berghofer Stadium, Toowoomba, Saturday

Raiders recruit Jason Smith says his own teammates probably thought he was a "geriatric" when he first arrived for pre-season training. "When I first came to the club a lot of them probably said, 'what are we getting this old, stupid geriatric for?"' Smith, 32, said after making his Australian comeback in Saturday night's narrow loss to Brisbane. "But I've trained with them for quite a few months now and hopefully they understand I can still play the game." Smith's brother, 36-year-old Darren, played for the Broncos after being registered to fill in during Origin time while former All Black Brad Thorn made his return to the 13-man game in the final quarter and found the going tough. Smith's opposite number, Darren Lockyer, set up two tries and scored the matchwinner. Coach Wayne Bennett said of centre Brent Tate: "I think it's the best game I've seen him play in 12 months."