Trial v the Tigers 5/03/05

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Inactive

Post by Inactive »

There's prob about 15 mins left .... interesting to see if it's a blowout or we have what it takes to come back.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hopefully Carney engineers a comeback
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

oh my god................... :( WE SHOULD BE FLOGGING THE TIGERS :lol: :|
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

That dedicated Tigers site looks great .... full of dedicated supporters who have obiviously created a dedicated forum ... also linked to the official Wests TIgers site ... that's what we are trying to do here. :D :D
Last edited by Inactive on March 5, 2005, 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sasha
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Woodgers

Post by Sasha »

If we lose, it is just one genius ploy to get sportstab to make our odds for the top 8 even longer, therefore giving us fans great chances to make money back :?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Elliot spent the whole off season focussing on fitness didnt he?
Its a bad sign if we dont finish strongly.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Its gonna be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong season. Except for Elliott, I give him 3 weeks before hes gooooorne :lol: :lol:.

I'm in a very nego mood today.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

this is bad, very bad.................
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Final score 36-32 .... WE WON !!!!!!!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Never doubted it :lol:
Elliot and his genius fitness training :lol:
Whats the bet Carney was on for the comeback?
Last edited by edwahu on March 5, 2005, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

:shock:
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Will be very interested to see if Carney came on in the 2nd half ..... if he did and therefore assisted in the victory I'd like to see Elliott's excuse for not making him a permanent fixture .... I know I'm getting ahead of myself but lets just see.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Stoked, we really should of dealt to a very weak looking Tigers side. I'll take any victory we can get though :D .

Book my tickets for the Warriors vs Raiders in a few weeks!!!
Chief Chujo
David Grant

Post by Chief Chujo »

:evil:

Lets hope our key personel came through uninjured.
Last edited by Chief Chujo on March 5, 2005, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

thats a pretty poor effort by the guys..and yes, would be very interested if carney came on in the second half and steered us to victory....WE SHOULD OF FLOGGED THE TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

These are the games we will have to win to make the eight in 2005.

Bad defense is obviously a negative.

Coming back from behind a positive.

Any injuries ????
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

:D
Bay56 wrote:These are the games we will have to win to make the eight in 2005.

Bad defense is obviously a negative.

Coming back from behind a positive.
Well said bay.
Last edited by Raider Azz on March 5, 2005, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

a comment from the Tigers forum ....

Wasn't Canberra the team most in the forum were saying were going to be wooden spooners?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

just got back from the game, we won!

similar to how we won in premier league, at the death.

our defence was terrible, but our attack was a lot better. Cant be bothered writing out a full post now so ill wait for some1 else to do it first ;)
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

disappointing. still, Phil Graham rules.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Thanks for that DJ.
hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

Carney started the game due to Jason Smith not playing.

He was on in the 1st half and some of the second.

Campo was on for parts of the second.

Nate Smith scored a scorcher when Campo kicked for touch and the wind blew it back inside the field of play. The Tigers player (Rieck?) jumped up to knock it back in and succeeded in knocking it straight into Smith's arms, who then proceeded to run 50 metres to score.

Adamson was solid, Miller was good, Tongue was very involved and the guy was good. He went over but it was called back.

Contrary to some of my fellow supporters I thought Rhino was solid.

Bad news: Weyman went off with a wrist injury and it didn't look good.
Canberra Raiders Supporter - Established 1982.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

tongue sucked, he must think hes buderus or something the way he was trying to play
hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

The defence just looked really unco-ordinated.

There was a silly miss from Phil who just seemed to get left in no-man's-land.

On the bright side we are already a better attacking team than we were last year. Schif was very good and his runs gained good ground for a change.

2 tries to Robbo.
2 tries to Schif.
1 try to Adamson.
1 try to N Smith.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

i heard reports that Tongue sucked.
hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

I thought he was alright.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Thanks for the report hrundi ....

Weyman off with a wrist ... well I think that's just about his career gone :cry:
Last edited by Inactive on March 6, 2005, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Looks like Shif is in gold form right now :D Let's hope he carries it into the regular season.
Humphrey B Flaubert
David Grant

Post by Humphrey B Flaubert »

Bay56 wrote:Weyman off with a wrist ... well I think that's just about his career gone :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :?
Speed limits are just suggestions....Like pants!
willeyd
Brett Mullins

Post by willeyd »

GOD DAMN, WHY THE HELL DOES MICK ALWAYS INJURE HIMSELF :shock:
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

schifhappens wrote:
Bay56 wrote:Weyman off with a wrist ... well I think that's just about his career gone :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope it was the other wrist

Anyway I think it is good we managed to win a game in the final 10 minutes. From memory we only did it once last year (Warriors @ Canberra stadium) and that was a glden point victory.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Canberra wins as Weyman injured
March 5, 2005 - 8:14PM

Luckless Canberra prop Michael Weyman suffered a suspected dislocated wrist in his side's 36-26 victory over Wests Tigers in an NRL trial match at Campbelltown Stadium.

Marked as a potential rookie of the year, Weyman only played four first grade games last year because of left wrist injuries.

But he injured his right wrist in the 25th minute and left the field immediately for treatment .

Raiders winger Nathan Smith scored a remarkable try with 11 minutes left to hand the visitors a 30-26 lead.

A Tigers' kick for touch failed to clear the sideline and winger Matthew Rieck, who earlier scored two tries, batted the ball towards his teammates.

Unfortunately for Rieck, a flying Smith grabbed the ball mid-air and sprinted 50m to score.

Canberra coach Matt Elliott will be pleased considering a crop of first graders were missing, including skipper Simon Woolford and veteran five-eighth Jason Smith, whose wife Jo went into labour.

Tigers winger Daniel Fitzhenry opened in the scoring in the fifth minute with a spectacular 99m try.

Fullback Brett Hodgson caught a towering Todd Carney bomb and passed to Pat Richards, who made a break before off-loading to Scott Prince.

The Queensland Origin halfback then set up Fitzhenry and Hodgson converted for a 6-0 lead.

Canberra hit back 10 minutes later with a try to Matt Adamson following a neat off-load from Clinton Schifcofske to Alan Tongue.

Prince sent a long cut-out ball in the 18th minute to Rieck, who was short of space but still managed to beat Smith to score in the left corner.

The Tigers went to the sheds leading 16-6 but a 46th minute try to Schifcofske narrowed the margin to four points.

Five minutes later Rieck looked to be cornered by three Raiders defenders but he somehow managed to elude them all to score in the corner and give the home side a 20-12 buffer.

Canberra winger Michael Robertson snatched an intercept from a Hodgson pass and ran 60m to score under the posts, Schifcofske converting for a 20-18 scoreline.

Richards touched down in the 56th minute to give his side a 26-18 lead but tries to Raiders trio Kris Kahler (66m), Smith (69m) and Phil Graham (77m) sealed the win.

Tigers hooker Ben Galea got a consolation try in the dying seconds of the last trial of the 2005 NRL pre-season.

I think (hope I am right) that Weyman has dislocated the other wrist to the one with which he has had trouble in the past. Shame Smith couldn't play but he had a good reason.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Always difficult to make much out of a trial but ....

1. Two trial games would indicate that our defense is not up to scratch ... 58 points in 2 games are certainly not the sort of stats that will get you into the top four, and probably not the top eight.

2. One of our big signings has to be rested .... Smith was always going to be a risk, injury wise ... how long will he last.

3. Withers at half ... I was on the Tigers forum tonight and they agreed to a man that Withers will not cut it at half. The dragons supporters said same. How long will Elliott persist in trying to prove others wrong.

4. We all have high hopes for Weyman ... will he remain injury free and in fact will he be given as much latitude by opposition forwards as he was given against the Warriors in that famous game at Bruce last season.

My optimism was getting some well overdue pickup before this game ... not so sure now.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Thanks for posting the report azza :)
Sasha
Laurie Daley

Post by Sasha »

Keep in mind, We were without Woolford, Smith, Frawley.

Also didn't the tigers use a 21 man squad??

I am still optermistic for the season ahead, we just can't read too much into trials :)