Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Croker not fancied for captaincy

Post by greeneyed »

Croker not fancied for captaincy
Peter Fitzgerald
Sunday, 23 July 2006

THE Canberra Raiders will refrain from offering Jason Croker the 2007 captaincy as an added incentive to retain the veteran next season.

Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins, while not ruling out Croker as a possible skipper should he stay, said the senior leadership position would be decided by the players and incoming coach Neil Henry during the preseason.

Croker is deciding whether to exercise a clause in his contract and remain in the national capital for another year or chase lucrative money and finish his career in the English Super League.

The Raiders will be in need of a skipper next season, with incumbent leader Clinton Schifcofske headed for Super 14 rugby union club the Queensland Reds in 2007.

Hawkins described the process of naming a new captain as "informal" and not something that was likely to be finalised this year.

"We'll pick the team and then pick a captain from there," he said.

"The whole captaincy non-issue is irrelevant both to Jason and to us but the coach will nominate possible candidates later on. [Croker] coming or staying is entirely up to him and his family, and won't be decided on whether or not he would be captain next season."

Croker's manager David Riolo remained confident his client would have a choice between Canberra and England next year.

While hosing down speculation Croker was set for a direct swap with Les Catalans forward Ian Hindmarsh - who has contacted Canberra about the possibility of a return next year - Riolo admitted to having spoken to "quite a few clubs" regarding Croker's future.

"I'm confident there will be options for him overseas and it will be up to him to decide whether those options are better for him than a final year with the Raiders," Riolo said.

"Regarding the Ian Hindmarsh talk, his possible departure might open a door for Jason, but that doesn't mean Catalans would necessarily go for Toots [Croker]."

Croker, a 16-year veteran with the Raiders, confirmed he would not retire at the end of the season.

He hoped to have made his decision within a fortnight.

Croker denied feeling added pressure to remain with Canberra despite the alarming number of senior players leaving the club at season's end.

"We're obviously losing a few players, so there's quite a bit of experience leaving," the 33-year-old said.

"But there's also a number of players here that have played well over 100 games.

"I could still be here with the Raiders, or I could be going over [to England]. I've got a couple of options which is good for me."

Croker will play his 312th career first-grade game against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Canberra Stadium today.

www.canberratimes.com.au