Anyone know the score?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

hrundi99
Dean Lance

Post by hrundi99 »

Given that Rhino's Mum is ill at the moment perhaps he was a little distracted.

It's not an excuse, just a possible reason...
Canberra Raiders Supporter - Established 1982.
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

I Know Rhino has the ability to be a awesome player so im not writing him off.

All I can say is go you raiders!!

tommorow im going to the bulldogs fan day, wearing my raiders shirt. :D :lol:

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

yeh not a bad crowd for a trial in the wet

adamson really looked good to... fast strong and agile... also got a good offload away that should have been caught but was dropped cold

ale: looked very good made a couple of breaks and took an intercept i think... didnt look as fast as i thought he was.

o hara: pretty dissapointing actually 3 or 4 dropped balls and they were unforced
THE GREEN MACHINE PODCAST - https://soundcloud.com/user-792269565
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

SOULS 04 wrote: ale: looked very good made a couple of breaks and took an intercept i think... didnt look as fast as i thought he was.
Nah that was someone else, if it was the one that almost scored try. I don't know who that was 'cause he was wearing 16.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

hrundi99 wrote:Given that Rhino's Mum is ill at the moment perhaps he was a little distracted.

It's not an excuse, just a possible reason...
good point hrundi but I stil think he's over-rated.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

very disappointing by the sounds of things, and fascinating to hear that Scott Briggs easily outplayed Carney, Campo and Zillman. still, Carney had a chance and (seemingly) didn't take it, so i'm guessing we'll see the Missing Linc slot straight back into the no.7 jersey.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Kris_man wrote:very disappointing by the sounds of things, and fascinating to hear that Scott Briggs easily outplayed Carney, Campo and Zillman. still, Carney had a chance and (seemingly) didn't take it, so i'm guessing we'll see the Missing Linc slot straight back into the no.7 jersey.
I think you may be correct K-Man ... but the club has invested heavily in Carney and Elliott must have had something to do with that ... he should give him every opportunity to cement the spot .. pity he didnt do that last season when the club announced Drewy was leaving ... those 8 games under Carney's belt would now be invaluable experience for the forthcoming season 2005 OR we would have all realsied that the stepup to 1st grade is a bit much for him.
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Come on guys, Carney had one seemingly bad game last night, and your all like "he hasn't taken the oppurtunity"

Last night, from what i heard, The weather was terrible, the teams that played, hardly resembled a first grade sides, and it was the first hit out of the season.

I think it's too early to say anything about Carney like this, because we know he has the ability. The kid is 18? Imagine the pressure on him, especially if he reads this forum, I think that is something he can do without.

Carney: I Believe In You. :thumbsup

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

R_2005 that is the point I was making ... but knowing Elliott he'll give him the flick and then the guy looses all confidence.
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Since when does Elliott give someone the flick after one bad game.

Eg: Jason Bullgarelli..... :lol:

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Raiders 2005 wrote:Since when does Elliott give someone the flick after one bad game.

Eg: Jason Bullgarelli..... :lol:
true .. you're finally coming around to my opnion on Elliott :D
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

So you would like Elliott to be more tough, and drop Carney after this bad performance Bay? Surely not Bay?!! :whoo

You'll Never Walk Alone!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Raiders 2005 wrote:Come on guys, Carney had one seemingly bad game last night, and your all like "he hasn't taken the oppurtunity"

Last night, from what i heard, The weather was terrible, the teams that played, hardly resembled a first grade sides, and it was the first hit out of the season.

I think it's too early to say anything about Carney like this, because we know he has the ability. The kid is 18? Imagine the pressure on him, especially if he reads this forum, I think that is something he can do without.

Carney: I Believe In You. :thumbsup
i couldn't disagree more. i'm not saying that he screwed up his chance of ever playing firsts, but that he failed (again, seemingly) to take hold of a golden opportunity to nail down a starting first grade spot. i believe in him too, i think he's great from what i saw in first grade last season, but we have to pick the best man for the job, and Withers definitely deserves a chance to show what he can do. Withers, Carney, Smith, Zillman, Briggs...it's simply not possible to believe that all of them should be our no.7.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Raiders 2005 wrote:So you would like Elliott to be more tough, and drop Carney after this bad performance Bay? Surely not Bay?!! :whoo
Who said he had a bad performance ... the reports were that he didnt impress not that he dropped the ball with the line wide open.

Quite the contrary, I have said that the club has invested heavily in the player, that Elliott oviously had something to do with that, that Elliott is therefore obliged to give the player every opportunity to cement a spot in the side ... something that he has not done thus far.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

K_Man ....
" .... Withers, Carney, Smith, Zillman, Briggs ... " this will be one of the most discussed issues throughout season 2005 ... a good coach will sort it out quick and smart .... I like my scrum base to be settled for the entire game not you on for 20, then you for the next 10, then switch around, stand on your hand and sing the national anthem.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

hmmm, i'm not sure i completely agree with you, bay. sure, it'd be nice to have a settled halves combo - but if it's going wrong (and i mean this hypothetically), then surely it's better to bring someone else up? "not wanting to break up a halves combo" - that would very likely have been Elliott's reason for not blooding Carney last year.
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

K_Man .... "if it's going wrong" ... yes I agree but nothing has gone wrong yet ... I dont want Elliott to muck around with Carney's career ... I'm not saying he has the goods but the club and Elliott obviously think he has ... therefore give him every opportunity to show us and to cement the spot.

Last season with 8 games to go our season was near shot ... we did not have an established halves pairing ... drew/toots, macca/toots, drew/campo, campo/macca, gaffa/macca, etc etc ... that was the time to give Caney the experience required to take on 2005 ... I can remember calling out for it week in week out ... drewy is now gone and it wasnt as though finishing 8th was a great achievement .. lets face it we fell in because the Tigs were stupid enough to let us.

Anyway thats all water under the bridge ... but hey Elliott dont make the same **** stupid mistakes ... thats my point.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

IBG wrote:Good grief, I have never been so wet in my entire life. Firstly, I took the car (which was a bad mistake), so I had to walk like 15 minutes to get to the bloody ground. I don't think I've ever seen lightning so close or heard thunder so loud. Plus my umbrella was useless as it rained sideways. My jeans were like concrete blocks when I got home.

From the Canberra Times:

In light drizzle from a North Coast sky providing more action than the players on the field, the Raiders' first hit-out of the new season was little more than an upbeat training run.

I'm confused...... :)
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Carney obviously didnt play well and i can totally see Elliot shafting him for a while now, he should give him another crack at it against the Broncos and play Linc at hooker, if memory serves me Germ will be suspended for that game :?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

oh yeah, good point 69
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Having read all this over... why are we saying that Carney has "failed again" to nail a first grade spot?

He has NEVER run on as part of the starting side in a NRL game....

He has run on as part of a starting side in ONE trial.... when everyone was lucky to get 40 minutes on the field!

Let's give him a break!
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Amen brother
seriously, the conditions obviously effected everyone. A nice clear sunny day against Brisbane with Carney at half the ENTIRE game would give us a much better insight to his game IMO
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Zillman and Briggs have played very limited premier league, let alone firsts. They wont figure in the halves calculations for a while yet and unless he has bulked up a bit I doubt Zillman will this year. Because the dogs had a young side out there, some guys will shine who wont cut it physically in firsts for a while (Goodwin and Milne would probably be examples of this).

I wouldnt worry about one bad peformance, Carney has carved up sides better then the one the dogs ran out last night dozens of times.
DJ Raida
David Furner

Post by DJ Raida »

carney for 7 :D
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

DJ Raida wrote:carney for 7 :D
DJ before I leave this earth I'm going to get you to consistantly write posts that have more than one sentance :lol: :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Bay56 wrote:
DJ Raida wrote:carney for 7 :D
DJ before I leave this earth I'm going to get you to consistantly write posts that have more than one sentance :lol: :lol:
dreaming bay ;)
Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Post by Greenblooded »

I'm fairly unconcerned about last nights performance.
I don't know how much you can read into the 1st trial game, particularly when you have basically two teams interchanging in quarters. I do like the reports on Adamson though :D
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

coincidentally, didn't we play our first trial game last year in shocking conditions against the storm in morwell? ..x-files music to follow..
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

IBG wrote:
SOULS 04 wrote: ale: looked very good made a couple of breaks and took an intercept i think... didnt look as fast as i thought he was.
Nah that was someone else, if it was the one that almost scored try. I don't know who that was 'cause he was wearing 16.
ahh good to know... i was on the other side of the field and my mate was telling me it was 15
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

also i think everyone is going a bit hard on carney... i thoyught ppl overan him a bit but also it was very wet.... on a positive note i liked watching him run the ball a bit... has a nice step on him as well
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The guy is only 18 too remember.... Personally, I like the idea of a Carney/Zillman halves combination........ I don't know much about this Briggs character... he sounds like trouble.... he could be good..... anyway, of the players I have seen, Carney and Zillman are the best halves combination we have in the club right now.
Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Post by Greenblooded »

Briggs sounds like trouble??
Greenblooded
John Ferguson

Post by Greenblooded »

Ignore last post I just read what you obviously read on LU
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

1st game for us in months, awful conditions, below average opponents. All contributed to the scoreline.

Don't think you can take much out of the first game at all. Leave it a couple more trials before we start making judgements on players, i reckon. Certainly monitor a couple of guys who have a history of being ordinary - but let's not call for blood.

All in all, a satisfactory result - especially considering no major injuries to come out of the game. Good to hear Germ had a good game.
SOULS 04
Jason Croker

Post by SOULS 04 »

yeh germ did look the goods... he was running the ball a fair bit more as well

cant wait to see what withers can do in the broncs trial