25 years of blood, sweat and tears

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Latest Forum 7s article from me, in anticipation of this weekend's match. Thickos suggested I post over here for those who don't read the F7s board. And if you think you might enjoy writing articles about the Canberra Raiders or rugby league in general, get over to the F7s board and let R69 know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had just moved to Canberra prior to the kick-off of the 1982 season, the first season of the Canberra Raiders in what was then known as “the Sydney competition”.

The Raiders were admitted alongside Illawarra. While Newcastle had been favourites for admission, the Canberrans offered a trump card: to pay for the bus trips of Sydney clubs to visit Seiffert Oval each week in the initial seasons.

The name of the team – the Raiders – was settled after much debate and many discarded ideas, such as “the Senators” and “the Fat Cats”. And the colour of the jersey was copied from a lime green vinyl chair, after *'s traditional colours of blue and gold were ruled out, as they clashed with the colours of the Eels.

The Raiders were subjected to a “13 import” rule, so the Sydney clubs would not lose too many players – and *'s initial squad was mostly made up of players from the local competition.

And so it was that the Raiders took to the field for the first time at Redfern Oval against South Sydney in late February 1982. No home game at Seiffert Oval first up. No favours at all were accorded the new club by the Sydney teams. They went down by a big margin. The next week, I was there as the Raiders lined up against Wests, in front of a crowd of less than 7,000. Again, they went down by a big margin.

The Sydney media was derisory. They hated the idea of a team outside Sydney. They waited for the team to fold.

But they have now been waiting for a very long time.

Almost 25 years later, the idea of expansion into new areas is still treated suspiciously by the Sydney media and clubs. But many other things have changed. And as a Raiders fan I have a multitude of memories.

The first win: It was against Newtown at Seiffert Oval in 1982. I remember the full time hooter and the reaction of the crowd clearly. It was a one point win against the Grand Finalists of the previous season. It was like the Raiders had won the Grand Final, after a string of big losses, the crowd standing as one and cheering long and hard. We now had a true local team.

The first Grand Final: *'s first coach, Don Furner often spoke about his “five year plan" to make the Raiders a competitive football team. He was not far wrong with his estimate. He brought in players such as Mal Meninga and then brought in Wayne Bennett as a co-coach in 1987. That year the team blazed through the semi-finals to make the Grand Final for the first time, against Manly. It was heady stuff for fans used to big losses. There were parades and huge celebrations for just making “the big one”. But the celebrations were premature.

The first Premiership: 1989 is now a part of rugby league folk lore. The Raiders finished in equal fifth, fourth on percentages. Their attacking play blitzed Cronulla, Penrith and Souths in the finals, and overcame favourites, Balmain, in extra time in the greatest decider of all time, with a try to Steve Jackson.

The greatest Premiership: 1994 and Paul Osborne blew the Bulldogs off the park. Mal Meninga finished his career in Australia with his fifth Grand Final appearance and third Premiership for the Raiders, with a barnstorming try.

But it has not been just the big wins or the great players, like Daley, Stuart and Clyde. It has been the disappointments, the tragedies, the club men and players confronting adversity. The Chris O'Sullivans. Mal Meninga breaking his arm over and over after smashing it against the goal post in the wet at Seiffert Oval. A red hot Raiders team falling apart in the 1993 finals after Stuart is injured in the final game of the regular competition. Jason Croker playing on with a shattered knee and delivering a victory against the Roosters. A brave one point loss to the Warriors in the finals in 2003, with a team widely tipped for the spoon.

It has been 25 years of blood, sweat and tears. Tears of pain and joy. In round 13 of season 2006, the Raiders again face South Sydney, a celebration match in *'s 25th season. And this time, I go to Canberra Stadium hoping for a different result than that very first match back in 1982.