Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Hard to separate head from heart

Post by greeneyed »

Hard to separate head from heart
Chris Wilson
Wednesday, 24 May 2006

They are the Raiders brains trust, but do Queensland-born coach Matt Elliott and former NSW Blues representative David Furner go with their head or heart when it comes to State of Origin?

CHRIS WILSON: Who will win Origin I tonight?

DAVE FURNER: I think NSW will win. Origin is about dominating in the middle and I like the look of the NSW forward pack - it's powerful. Willie Mason's been in fantastic form and aggressive players like him and Mark O'Meley suit Origin. The Queenslanders obviously have experienced props Petero Civoniceva and Steve Price, but they have a very young backrow.

MATT ELLIOTT: Of course I'm tipping Queensland. The one question mark I have is the [lack of] size in the Queensland pack, but I really like their three-quarters and their halves. Queensland's spine - their number nine, six, seven and one - is impressive. That's where they've got the edge over NSW.

WILSON: Will the disrupted preparation hurt NSW?

FURNER: The NSW halves just need to feed the ball early to their strike players like Mark Gasnier and Timana Tahu, who can create special plays with their speed and footwork. Then Braith Anasta, who's a great running five-eighth, can take on the line later in the game. Even with Matt Cooper out, NSW don't lose anything by pushing Tahu into the centres. I hope it's a dry track because both sides have some exciting talent in the backs. Danny Buderus has obviously had a disrupted preparation but I think he'll play.

ELLIOTT: Queensland has had the better preparation and they've got the more settled squad. NSW hasn't been able to get any continuity in their preparation and it's a big issue. I don't think they'll be able to bring in a replacement player of Craig Gower's quality at halfback [Brett Finch has since been named at halfback]. I think there's a big gap from Andrew Johns to Craig Gower and then a big drop again to the next best halfback. Luke Priddis won't let NSW down if he's called into the side at hooker, but Danny Buderus is one of the world's elite players and NSW are much better with him there.WILSON: How will Queensland's seven rookies handle the occasion?

FURNER: They've been doing the job in the NRL. It can go one of two ways, but it's hard to think all seven are going to be able to play their best game. They're all good players and deserved to be picked, but Origin is a different arena. Everyone tries to tell you what it's like, how fast it is, but you never know until you're there.

ELLIOTT: Everyone in the Queensland team is of Origin quality but to have so many at once, it's going to be interesting. It's been really positive to see Darren Lockyer outwardly showing his leadership in the lead-up to this game.

WILSON: Queensland has never won at Telstra Stadium. Will the venue make a difference?

FURNER: I don't think that'll be a focus in either camp. If Queensland start worrying about that, NSW has won already.

ELLIOTT: I don't think it'll be a massive factor. NSW has some advantage, but it's not as if they play at that venue more than the Queensland players.

WILSON: How will tonight's game be played?

FURNER: Queensland may try and kick early because they'll be looking to turn NSW's big forwards around. But I think NSW will settle into the match better and that will start to show on the scoreboard in the second half. NSW by 12 points.

ELLIOTT: Possession is such an important thing. I think one of the biggest differences Andrew Johns made last year was the composure he gave NSW and his superior kicking-game. It'll be important for both teams to get into the rhythm early, but that's the great thing about Origin, you can never tell when one team will get on top.My guess is Queensland by less than 10.

WILSON: What about the rest of the series?

FURNER: I'd like to see it 1-1 when they head to Melbourne for the third game. That's what everyone wants.

ELLIOTT: The way the series is scheduled there's a lot of time between games, so there will be a lot of pressure on the team that loses the first game.

The Canberra Times