Raiders head to Gold Coast

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders head to Gold Coast

Post by greeneyed »

Today's CT reports that the Canberra Raiders will have their main preseason camp in the Gold Coast hinterland at Tallebudgera in February.

The Queensland Government jumped on the bandwagon with acting Premier and Minister for Sport Terry Mackenroth boasting of the coup.

"Tallebudgera has been a Queensland icon for 50 years and with Beattie Government support, it is now a world class facility and the best outdoor recreation centre in Australia" Mackenroth said.

The Raiders will play a preseason game against the Bulldogs in Gosford on Saturday 19 February and then trek up to teh Gold Coast to spend a week acclimatising before they meet the Brisbane Broncos.

"The Canberra Raiders' decision to conduct a week long training camp at Tallebudgera reaffirms what we already know - that this is a fantastic facility, suitable for a wide range of activities and groups" Mackenroth said. "The Raiders expect to bring a full strength squad, including former international and Queensland SOO player, Jason Smith, who has returned to the NRL after four years playing for Hull in the British Super League."

Raiders coach Matt Elliott said the camp would provide an ideal training opportunity between trials. "We should be able to marry the tactical areas that we need with the physical work as well. We thought that since we were going to be up there anyway, we'd take the opportunity to use one of the local facilities. It also means we'll be able to use the beach for things like a lot of contact work and fitness" Elliot said.

The Raiders head to Jindabyne today for a three day camp. "It's an opportunity to get away together, go over our tactical approach for the season and try to put it together on the field" Elliot said.
llab yob
Brett Mullins

Post by llab yob »

sounds good
paulquinn49
Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders head to Gold Coast

Post by paulquinn49 »

greeneyed wrote:Today's CT reports that the Canberra Raiders will have their main preseason camp in the Gold Coast hinterland at Tallebudgera in February.
Woo I have swam in Tallebudgera creek. Heaps clear water. Near the home of the QLD Cup premiers, Burleigh :D
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I remember going to Tallebudgera for holidays and staying in the camping ground near the creek/beach.... nice creek swimming... very clear and clean and sandy... and the beach right there too.

I don't know where this new facility is though.....
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Sorry but I cant understand all these trips away when we have a very good training facility right here in our own backyard ... Jindabyne OK, sunny qld is not necessary.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I thought it was a good idea.... they are travelling between trials... Canberra.... Gosford... Gold Coast.... Toowoomba.... Canberra..... round trip and spend a week together in camp....

I hope it works like the Orange camp....
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

If they took me with them that could be classified as a good idea :lol:
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

Bay56 wrote:If they took me with them that could be classified as a good idea :lol:
You would be sharing the room with Matty :lol:

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Raiders 2005 wrote:
Bay56 wrote:If they took me with them that could be classified as a good idea :lol:
You would be sharing the room with Matty :lol:
Yes ... that'll give a chance to slip something in his bedtime whiskey ... ha, gone at last.
tonio
David Furner

Post by tonio »

MURDER!!!! MURDERRR!!!! :x :cry:

You'll Never Walk Alone!
RAIDERS MEMEBER #1919 - Bay 53 - Row S - Seat 18
Former Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder 2004 :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don't you two start on the first night! ;) :ROFL
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

greeneyed wrote:Don't you two start on the first night! ;) :ROFL
OK call me a twit but does ROFL stand for "rolling over f@cking laughing"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roll on floor laughing...
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

same thing I suppose.
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

I've got no dramas with the pre-season camps. I know there are excellent facilities in the ACT and southern highlands but sometimes nothing works better than removing people from their familiar surroundings and out of their comfort zones.