40 Year Canberra Raiders Dream Team: Centres

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who are the Canberra Raiders' greatest ever centres?

David Boyle
No votes
Jarrod Croker
29%
Blake Ferguson
1%
Ron Giteau
No votes
Phil Graham
1%
Peter Jackson
8%
Joey Leilua
8%
Mal Meninga
47%
Brett Mullins
4%
Adam Mogg
1%
Joel Monaghan
No votes

Total votes: 99

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 40 Year Canberra Raiders Dream Team: Centres

Post by greeneyed »

Billy's been watching YouTube this time instead of reading Wikipedia! Jackson could operate as a secondary kicker to Belcher. But yes, Jacko was the one putting those kicks to Mavin in the 1987 finals game against the Rabbitohs. He was most effective as a runner. Both Belcher and Jackson had a superb running style, fluid, evasive, swerving and could play off eachother.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: December 3, 2021, 11:16 am Billy's been watching YouTube this time instead of reading Wikipedia! Jackson could operate as a secondary kicker to Belcher. But yes, Jacko was the one putting those kicks to Mavin in the 1987 finals game against the Rabbitohs. He was most effective as a runner. Both Belcher and Jackson had a superb running style, fluid, evasive, swerving and could play off eachother.
No not watching YouTube or reading Wikipedia- just on a forum recalling some of my memories of Jacko noting many people here saying they didn’t see him play.

Why are you suggesting I went on YouTube or Wikipedia? I don’t get it.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Billy Walker wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:28 am
GreenGirl wrote: December 2, 2021, 6:55 pm IMO if your picking a Greatest Raiders team over a specific period of time then Wiki plays 2nd Row and BJ plays center. (I'm to young to have an opinion on Jackson)

You could even make an argument for Josh Papalli to play at 2nd row and bring in another of our Props. People forget about Shillington's representative record and he was genuinely one of the games best front rowers for a sustained period of time there

If its a one off game of Raiders GOAT v another teams GOAT for your life then I'm picking Bateman at 2nd row with Wiki at center.

Either way - this team has too many tries in it to have to worry about goalkicking
Hey GG - Without disagreeing with you, I can’t help feel that a lot of your post was really about supporting you’re not so modest boast that you’re too young to have seen Jacko play :lol:

A day will come when a long term veteran like Ryan Hoffman retires and you too will look at the wrinkled face in the mirror and think - “sheez I used to watch that blokes father play” :roflmao
Haha - funnily enough Jacko used to be one of my 3 favourite players as a pre-teen. Proud Queenslander and the North Sydney Bears were my hero’s and he ticked both boxes along with Billy Moore and Gary Larson.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenGirl wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:52 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:28 am
GreenGirl wrote: December 2, 2021, 6:55 pm IMO if your picking a Greatest Raiders team over a specific period of time then Wiki plays 2nd Row and BJ plays center. (I'm to young to have an opinion on Jackson)

You could even make an argument for Josh Papalli to play at 2nd row and bring in another of our Props. People forget about Shillington's representative record and he was genuinely one of the games best front rowers for a sustained period of time there

If its a one off game of Raiders GOAT v another teams GOAT for your life then I'm picking Bateman at 2nd row with Wiki at center.

Either way - this team has too many tries in it to have to worry about goalkicking
Hey GG - Without disagreeing with you, I can’t help feel that a lot of your post was really about supporting you’re not so modest boast that you’re too young to have seen Jacko play :lol:

A day will come when a long term veteran like Ryan Hoffman retires and you too will look at the wrinkled face in the mirror and think - “sheez I used to watch that blokes father play” :roflmao
Haha - funnily enough Jacko used to be one of my 3 favourite players as a pre-teen. Proud Queenslander and the North Sydney Bears were my hero’s and he ticked both boxes along with Billy Moore and Gary Larson.
Bet Greg Florimo is jealous reading this :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This poll will close tomorrow, so it is your last chance to vote. The poll for wingers is being prepared, so if you have strong views on nominees, post them here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34889
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Before we call this poll, are we sure Jarrod Croker is eligible?
As i understand it, he's involved with Crust Pizza franchise in Goulburn, and Goulburn is not only not in Canberra, it's not even in the ACT!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: December 6, 2021, 11:52 am Before we call this poll, are we sure Jarrod Croker is eligible?
As i understand it, he's involved with Crust Pizza franchise in Goulburn, and Goulburn is not only not in Canberra, it's not even in the ACT!
The real quesion is whether Jarrod preparing and cooking the pizza is that much better than Rubes, who is actually better as a cashier, and will moving Rubes to pizza duty and Jason Croker to cashier improve the performance of the restaurant?

:roflmao
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 11:34 am This poll will close tomorrow, so it is your last chance to vote. The poll for wingers is being prepared, so if you have strong views on nominees, post them here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34889
Thanks for the reminder greeneyed, just put my vote through for Jarrod.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34903