Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: December 6, 2021, 3:08 pm
Love4Noa wrote: December 6, 2021, 2:22 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 6, 2021, 2:12 pm
Love4Noa wrote: December 6, 2021, 1:36 pm I fear folks are somewhat nostalgic about the fact Cotric was a local who came in and had an immediate impact. He didn't actually seem to continue developing, certainly not enough that the raiders would throw the bank at him.

Would love to have him back, rate him over Simmo, but not losing sleep if he ends up in 9th at the tigers
Get the feeling he reached his level almost immediately when he entered the NRL. Runs hard and can bust a tackle. There's not much more to his game. Jesse Ramien was the same.
Agreed, however unlike Simmo - he can actually make a break and threaten the back field.
No question he's better than Simo, who IMO is a backup level NRL winger and solid enough if called upon. Biggest difference is nobody will be offering Simo $500k contracts.
NR - There seems to be a level of agreement that Nick’s first and second season were his best with a slow decline following. No doubt injury played a part, but do you think he bulked up too much. He was always solid but he wasn’t the tank he is now when he debuted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an NRL rookie I’m spending as much time in the gym as possible as a self preservation measure from the ever growing monsters that keep turning out in the NRL, but I think you lose agility. If your game is purely power and strength then the gym is your friend, but I worry about someone like HSS who has obvious skill, speed, agility and ability. Players like him don’t want to follow Nick down the path of being a poor man’s battering ram.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Glen Lazarus started out as a winger. Maybe Nick needs to follow the same career path, albeit delayed.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I'd be stoked if Nick returns but I can't see us outbidding the Tigers and I wouldn't want us too. Definitely would be happy to run with what we have at the moment
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 6, 2021, 3:58 pm Glen Lazarus started out as a winger. Maybe Nick needs to follow the same career path, albeit delayed.
What in u7s?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: December 6, 2021, 4:10 pm I'd be stoked if Nick returns but I can't see us outbidding the Tigers and I wouldn't want us too. Definitely would be happy to run with what we have at the moment
There's no bidding to be done. Cotric gets paid his full contract by the Dogs regardless of where he decides to go.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Northern Raider wrote: December 6, 2021, 5:09 pm
Raiders666 wrote: December 6, 2021, 4:10 pm I'd be stoked if Nick returns but I can't see us outbidding the Tigers and I wouldn't want us too. Definitely would be happy to run with what we have at the moment
There's no bidding to be done. Cotric gets paid his full contract by the Dogs regardless of where he decides to go.
Yeah but Cotric may feel that the Tigers will continue to pay circa 600k after his current contract runs out
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 6, 2021, 3:58 pm Glen Lazarus started out as a winger. Maybe Nick needs to follow the same career path, albeit delayed.
Are you telling me he once was the brick that flies?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders666 wrote: December 6, 2021, 6:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 6, 2021, 5:09 pm
Yeah but Cotric may feel that the Tigers will continue to pay circa 600k after his current contract runs out
If they do then good luck to them.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

BadnMean wrote: December 6, 2021, 4:47 pm
What in u7s?
In about u19s or thereabouts. I remember standing in a queue with a couple of young blokes who had come through juniors with him, they had just recently been advised thaqt their progress through the Raiders ranks had come to an end. One professed to know who had progressed and who hadnt. He listed a few names and lastly mentioned Lazarus. The other guy sounded gobsmacked saying wte " a winger, they dont need more of them!!" and the first guy said "he is just so tough though, they'll probably move him into the forwards now." That was the first time I had ever heard his name which stuck in my memory because a friend lived in Lazarus Place in Wanniassa. The next time I saw him a year or two later he was a giant and I found it hard to believe he had ever played wing but another friend confirmed it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cranky Old Man wrote: December 6, 2021, 10:11 pm
What in u7s?
In about u19s or thereabouts. I remember standing in a queue with a couple of young blokes who had come through juniors with him, they had just recently been advised thaqt their progress through the Raiders ranks had come to an end. One professed to know who had progressed and who hadnt. He listed a few names and lastly mentioned Lazarus. The other guy sounded gobsmacked saying wte " a winger, they dont need more of them!!" and the first guy said "he is just so tough though, they'll probably move him into the forwards now." That was the first time I had ever heard his name which stuck in my memory because a friend lived in Lazarus Place in Wanniassa. The next time I saw him a year or two later he was a giant and I found it hard to believe he had ever played wing but another friend confirmed it.
Having read all of the editions of The Canberra Times for my research into the history of the club, he’s always been described as a prop. But I think I’ll ask him!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

What in u7s?
Wow. Thanks for the anecdote.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 6, 2021, 3:50 pm
NR - There seems to be a level of agreement that Nick’s first and second season were his best with a slow decline following. No doubt injury played a part, but do you think he bulked up too much. He was always solid but he wasn’t the tank he is now when he debuted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an NRL rookie I’m spending as much time in the gym as possible as a self preservation measure from the ever growing monsters that keep turning out in the NRL, but I think you lose agility. If your game is purely power and strength then the gym is your friend, but I worry about someone like HSS who has obvious skill, speed, agility and ability. Players like him don’t want to follow Nick down the path of being a poor man’s battering ram.
I'm with you here, I don't think he's as agile as he was a couple years ago when he was a rep player. I'm not sure he's a winger or centre. I'd like to see how he goes in the forwards. I don't think his speed and agility is suited to the outside backs but it would give him an advantage as a forward, and he's definitely solid enough.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I agree Cotric is not a centre. But he's still a very good winger who can improve his game and reach SOO levels again. Can't believe he's written off by some due to one poor season when he was mainly injured and had Brandon Wakeham, Kyle Flanagan, Lachlan Lewis and Jake Averillo for service. He scored 14 tries for us in 2020, second best return for him outside his debut year of 16 tries. His return in 2019 of 4 tries was not great but we still made the GF and he was an Aust and SOO rep in a star studded side.
Thinking about putting Cotric in the forwards is madness. I hope he comes back and Bailey Simonsson goes to Parra.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: December 7, 2021, 9:49 am I agree Cotric is not a centre. But he's still a very good winger who can improve his game and reach SOO levels again. Can't believe he's written off by some due to one poor season when he was mainly injured and had Brandon Wakeham, Kyle Flanagan, Lachlan Lewis and Jake Averillo for service. He scored 14 tries for us in 2020, second best return for him outside his debut year of 16 tries. His return in 2019 of 4 tries was not great but we still made the GF and he was an Aust and SOO rep in a star studded side.
Thinking about putting Cotric in the forwards is madness. I hope he comes back and Bailey Simonsson goes to Parra.
I think he can still be a good winger for us but I just don't see him reaching rep levels again in the position. It's hard to see him overtake Addo-Carr or To'o, for starters. There are other players in the competition that are much better suited to the wing.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Sounds like the Raiders are still on the box seat
https://www.zerotackle.com/front-runner ... f7rt4Gc_zM
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Two star wingers could be on the move — but the Eels are ‘holding things up’

Channel 7’s Michelle Bishop believes the Raiders are the “frontrunners” in the Nick Cotric race.

“On Nick Cotric, a few things need to fall into place...,” she said. “The Wests Tigers have indicated they’d be keen to sign Nick Cotric, they met with him last week. The Raiders aren’t out of the equation yet, I think they’re still the frontrunners at the moment. I still think Nick Cotric will return to the Raiders for 2022.

Read more and audio: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/12/06/ ... gers-eels/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 4d5ee58038
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Raiders_Pat wrote: December 7, 2021, 10:13 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: December 7, 2021, 9:49 am I agree Cotric is not a centre. But he's still a very good winger who can improve his game and reach SOO levels again. Can't believe he's written off by some due to one poor season when he was mainly injured and had Brandon Wakeham, Kyle Flanagan, Lachlan Lewis and Jake Averillo for service. He scored 14 tries for us in 2020, second best return for him outside his debut year of 16 tries. His return in 2019 of 4 tries was not great but we still made the GF and he was an Aust and SOO rep in a star studded side.
I think he can still be a good winger for us but I just don't see him reaching rep levels again in the position. It's hard to see him overtake Addo-Carr or To'o, for starters. There are other players in the competition that are much better suited to the wing.
The guy's only 23 not 33. There's plenty of upside. Brett and Josh Morris returned to SOO after being dropped in favour of better players before.

JAC has been great but I wonder if he can reproduce the goods at the Bulldogs. A lot of ex Storm players can't except Inglis and Cronk.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah I think the same. Wouldn't be writing him off as a winger at this stage.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Apparently Nic told a Kennel member at a party that he was returning to Canberra “in the new year.”
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Raider Azz wrote: December 6, 2021, 12:08 pm
Finchy wrote: December 6, 2021, 12:03 pm
papabear wrote: December 6, 2021, 11:56 am
Raider Azz wrote: December 3, 2021, 3:04 pm
BJ123 wrote: This was at an early stage in their first grade careers. Not after a few years.
Cotric was a superstar the minute he hit first grade. Carney had wraps on him and played well early in his career but comparing the two even early in their careers is laughable tbh

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
I think you are a bit high on cotric here.
I dunno, Cotric scored more tries in his first season than Carney did in his entire NRL career. Cotric is also rep quality and has represented NSW and Australia. Carney was never that good. They were both stocky wingers with the ability to bust tackles. That’s where the similarities end imo.
Yup, papabear you have a short memory my friend.

Cotric made an immediete impact the minute he hit first grade. Most will remember the trial game versus Newcastle where he was so good that Ricky had no choice but to start him in round 1. He won both the Raiders and NRLs rookie of the year awards in 2017. He was also in the talk for State of Origin almost immedietely after hitting first grade (was NSWs 18th man in his second year of first grade in 2018), and as Finchy mentioned represented NSW and Australia (in 2019). He was also in the prime minister XII in 2018.

Carney was a solid first grader and made a difference in our team but was never anywhere near the ability of Cotric.
ok where we differ is the use of the term superstar.

Cotric was excellent when he started, then he tapered off a bit.

He was never a superstar though.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Let's not get hung up on semantics Cotric will no doubt significantly improve our team. Tough carries out of our end. A great defender, finisher and safe under the high ball. While I rate our young backs highly they lack experience and having another experienced head like Cotric on the flank helps solve that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 10:24 pm
What in u7s?
Having read all of the editions of The Canberra Times for my research into the history of the club, he’s always been described as a prop. But I think I’ll ask him!
I’m sad to say Lazzo has not responded to my question. But here is a quote from The Canberra Times of 5 July 1988, when Lazarus was being asked if he could retain his prop spot when Brent Todd came back from a broken arm:
Which leaves the second row, a position in which Lazarus starred in his junior football days with Queanbcyan United and in the Raiders' 1986 President's Cup team.

"I am equally comfortable in both positions, but have played mainly second row in
the past," he said.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... 7/11012730
My conclusion is… leg pulling!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

add Lazzo to the wingers poll!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m sad to say Lazzo has not responded to my question.
But on the upside doesn’t seem to have filed for a restraining order either….
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

greeneyed wrote: December 8, 2021, 9:36 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 6, 2021, 10:24 pm
What in u7s?
I’m sad to say Lazzo has not responded to my question. But here is a quote from The Canberra Times of 5 July 1988, when Lazarus was being asked if he could retain his prop spot when Brent Todd came back from a broken arm:
Which leaves the second row, a position in which Lazarus starred in his junior football days with Queanbcyan United and in the Raiders' 1986 President's Cup team.

"I am equally comfortable in both positions, but have played mainly second row in
the past," he said.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... 7/11012730
My conclusion is… leg pulling!
Sorry GE.If i'm wrong im wrong, there was no deception involved. I definitely cant remember any of the other names involved in the overheard conversation but as I said the name Lazarus stuck in my mind. I wasnt exactly evesdropping on the conversation, they were just loud and boisterous young guys so I dont think they were having a lend of me or all the others who might have overheard them.
In any case, the matter is not important, except as a strange anecdote.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry, I was not wanting to be accusing anyone of "deception". Just an interesting puzzle, I was keen to solve. I would still like Lazzo to answer. If I ever see him again at one of the reunion style functions which fans can attend, I'm going to ask!
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 11:56 am Sorry, I was not wanting to be accusing anyone of "deception". Just an interesting puzzle, I was keen to solve. I would still like Lazzo to answer. If I ever see him again at one of the reunion style functions which fans can attend, I'm going to ask!
Yeah, good on you for that. Obviously I would be keen to see the answer .
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

DT is also reporting this is getting closer to be done with Bailey going to Parra. Raiders have been in discussions with the NRL salary cap team: viewtopic.php?p=1841558#p1841558
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I will be glad to have Cotric back. What I don't like is the report that we are contributing to Bailey Simonsson's salary in 2022 and 2023. We may have over estimated his abilities and consequently overpaying him.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Any word from the DT on whether or not Lazarus ever played on the wing?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: December 9, 2021, 5:46 pm I will be glad to have Cotric back. What I don't like is the report that we are contributing to Bailey Simonsson's salary in 2022 and 2023. We may have over estimated his abilities and consequently overpaying him.
I can’t believe we’re paying freight, but the SMH is indeed reporting that!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Of course we're paying freight.
What incentive to the Eels have to take our cast off at full market price?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 6:40 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: December 9, 2021, 5:46 pm I will be glad to have Cotric back. What I don't like is the report that we are contributing to Bailey Simonsson's salary in 2022 and 2023. We may have over estimated his abilities and consequently overpaying him.
Of course we’re paying freight. It’s a business not a benevolent society..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:24 pm
I’ve explained the reasoning in another thread.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:39 pm
sprintman wrote: December 9, 2021, 8:24 pm
I’ve explained the reasoning in another thread.
Which changes nothing.