Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by cat »

Rick wrote: November 16, 2021, 2:54 pm Shocked at the very Sydney centric view from PV…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its money focussed not Sydney focused, it actually disadvantages NSW and QLD teams because we dont have a leg to stand on in terms of enforcing vaccination and won't have full teams
Vaccinated
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

If the players are docked $$ (which I think they should be if they’re not sacked), can the club use their $$ to loan players?

I haven’t had time to read through this thread or really get the finer details but it sounds like a **** show for us as Raiders fans

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: November 16, 2021, 3:36 pm If the players are docked $$ (which I think they should be if they’re not sacked), can the club use their $$ to loan players?

I haven’t had time to read through this thread or really get the finer details but it sounds like a **** show for us as Raiders fans

The arrangements are still being negotiated with the RLPA, but any contract payment reductions would reasonably flow through as cap savings.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Why do NRL players need to be vaccinated now? IMO it seems a bit out of line with the rest of the world. It's not like these guys aren't being exposed to other unvaccinated members of society.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 16, 2021, 5:13 pm Why do NRL players need to be vaccinated now? IMO it seems a bit out of line with the rest of the world. It's not like these guys aren't being exposed to other unvaccinated members of society.

To be able to do their job, if your not vaxxed you can't fly, cross borders etc
Vaccinated
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 16, 2021, 5:13 pm Why do NRL players need to be vaccinated now? IMO it seems a bit out of line with the rest of the world. It's not like these guys aren't being exposed to other unvaccinated members of society.

Seriously?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

cat wrote: November 16, 2021, 5:31 pm

Well if none of that was in their contracts when they signed them it's not really their problem imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

julian87 wrote: November 16, 2021, 5:49 pm

Well if none of that was in their contracts when they signed them it's not really their problem imo.
But it is in their contract to play, if they need to fly/cross borders to play then they are expected to do whatever is reasonable to play?
And its reasonable to follow health orders....

So they are breaching their contract?
Vaccinated
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

cat wrote: November 16, 2021, 6:04 pm

But it is in their contract to play, if they need to fly/cross borders to play then they are expected to do whatever is reasonable to play?

I couldn't disagree more.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im no expert but i dont believe we'd be legally able to sack them

Also again, we're not going to sack our 2 best forwards when
a) it's 6 games in what is probably a bit of a rebuilding year anyways
b) those restictions are, imo, unlikley to be in place when the season kicks off
c) Stuart just isnt going to tear up the contracts of these guys, they're considered core parts of the team

the NRL should mandate everyone get vaccinated, but unless they do, this is what it is.
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

This is going to be an issue addressed not just within this industry but many more. It stands to be a whole new topic of legal precedent which will take some time to happen. In the meantime I think the NRL are doing the right thing by staying away from mandating to avoid legal issue down the line. As previously mentioned I think by the time the season kicks off restrictions on unvaccinated travel throughout states will be lifted.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

I can pretty much guarantee the players will not be able to play in Melbourne next season

Qld will depend how well the QLD tourism improves.
If there is enough vaxxed people holidaying in QLD then she won't change the rule. It will be July at the earliest before that rule changes
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think guaranteeing anything in this climate given how quickly restrictions are being rolled back right now is a fools errand
The NRL season is 4 months away... that's a life time with this situation

My sister in law is here with us now in Canberra, having travelled from London to see her family for the first time in 2 years.
If you had told me this was going to be possible in july, i'd have never believed you.
Last edited by Botman on November 16, 2021, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

Yes I see your point Cat and if that is the case it’s unwise for the NRL to not have protocols in place prior to the season starting should restrictions continue. They have a good three months to form an adequate plan which is a positive.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.
You don’t think they’re paid to play games? Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Disappointed in the NRL and Raiders on this one. I think Peter V’L’s position on being able to work with 95% vax rates is poor. We only got to 95% rates because other industries and organisations made hard calls and showed the kind of leadership the NRL is avoiding. P V’L has done an exceptional job to keep rugby league running, and that being his primary role all credit to him, but he is missing an opportunity to show broader leadership and better position the moral compass of the NRL.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

cat wrote:

Will be interesting to see if that's still a thing by the time the season comes around. We must be one of the only countries in the world with state border restrictions.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But that’s because we’re one of few countries with covid zero states… so… legitimately different
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Im no expert but i dont believe we'd be legally able to sack them

Also again, we're not going to sack our 2 best forwards when
a) it's 6 games in what is probably a bit of a rebuilding year anyways
b) those restictions are, imo, unlikley to be in place when the season kicks off
c) Stuart just isnt going to tear up the contracts of these guys, they're considered core parts of the team

the NRL should mandate everyone get vaccinated, but unless they do, this is what it is.
The truth as always
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 16, 2021, 8:30 pm
cat wrote:

Will be interesting to see if that's still a thing by the time the season comes around. We must be one of the only countries in the world with state border restrictions.

Pretty sure we are, and not even the state premiers realised how much power they had until now, and boy do they love it!

You can pretty much bet the house on WA having at least a ban on unvaxxed coming so there goes origin for papa I'm 95% confident Andrews will stay have it mandatory for professional sports people to be vaxxed until at least the end of 2023

QLD it will come down to if they have enough tourists coming

In terms of commercial flights that will be once covid 19 has been declared by WHO as an endemic so no flying for our unvaxxed quartet until 2024 at the earliest

Throw in games in NZ v Australia and thats another game they cant play
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: November 16, 2021, 8:18 pm Disappointed in the NRL and Raiders on this one. I think Peter V’L’s position on being able to work with 95% vax rates is poor. We only got to 95% rates because other industries and organisations made hard calls and showed the kind of leadership the NRL is avoiding. P V’L has done an exceptional job to keep rugby league running, and that being his primary role all credit to him, but he is missing an opportunity to show broader leadership and better position the moral compass of the NRL.
I would be interested in knowing if the unvaxxed players would be happy being treated by an unvaxxed nurse, arrested by an unvaxxed cop, their kids taught by unvaxxed teachers etc

At the end of the day its all about money for mr vlandys, I actually think he thinks the pandemic is over and the restrictions are gone , he wants to recoup money by having full stadiums, big players for sponsorship etc etc.

I also think he thinks the state premiers will bend the rules for him again which they wont
Vaccinated
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hah full stadiums, breeding ground for the new variant that by passes vaccines.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

cat wrote: November 16, 2021, 11:52 pm I would be interested in knowing if the unvaxxed players would be happy being treated by an unvaxxed nurse, arrested by an unvaxxed cop, their kids taught by unvaxxed teachers etc
The answer to that is they would be perfectly happy and comfortable with that.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 17, 2021, 7:46 am
cat wrote: November 16, 2021, 11:52 pm I would be interested in knowing if the unvaxxed players would be happy being treated by an unvaxxed nurse, arrested by an unvaxxed cop, their kids taught by unvaxxed teachers etc
Everyone should be perfectly happy and comfortable with that. Vaccines are super important and effective, but in a highly vaccinated society the ongoing discrimination against unvaccinated ppl - especially now we are above the 90% targets that were announced and agreed upon - is not serving any purpose and is pretty horrible imo.

The mandates were helpful in pushing lots of people toward vaccination, tick job done. But the mandates also pushed a minority the other way - one example I am familiar with this is ppl with trauma histories (or those that have loved ones with trauma histories). Giving up perceived control of the body can be very triggering for this cohort.

Summary. There are lots of varying reasons why the small number of unvaxxed hold out. Most of them are not bad people. Just let them get on with their life and stop judging them ****.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Cry me a river.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Boomercm wrote: November 17, 2021, 11:18 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: November 17, 2021, 7:46 am
Everyone should be perfectly happy and comfortable with that. Vaccines are super important and effective, but in a highly vaccinated society the ongoing discrimination against unvaccinated ppl - especially now we are above the 90% targets that were announced and agreed upon - is not serving any purpose and is pretty horrible imo.

The mandates were helpful in pushing lots of people toward vaccination, tick job done. But the mandates also pushed a minority the other way - one example I am familiar with this is ppl with trauma histories (or those that have loved ones with trauma histories). Giving up perceived control of the body can be very triggering for this cohort.

Summary. There are lots of varying reasons why the small number of unvaxxed hold out. Most of them are not bad people. Just let them get on with their life and stop judging them ****.
I agree with you 100%. Others here don't.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD NOTE: Please remember, if your post in this thread has nothing to do with the Raiders or rugby league, it will be deleted or moved to the thread in the Current Affairs board.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Bulldogs today showed how it should be done with their statement regarding Asiata.

I’d be supportive of the Raiders doing the same with our unvaccinated guys, regardless of their relative star power and the possible effects on the win-loss column
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd be supportive of it too, i just dont expect our club to go down that route
Its easy to do that as a club when you're dealing with the John Asiata's of the footballing world... different kettle of fish when it's guys like Papalii and Joe Tapine.

And right or wrong, fair or unfair, that's just life. Greater talent = greater tolerance.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Courageous move to threaten John frikken Asiata with tearing up his contract. I'd definitely be doing that with Papalii and Tapine.

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

The AFL didn’t muck around as usual. Time the NRL management showed some bolleaux and followed suit!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: November 17, 2021, 8:31 pm The AFL didn’t muck around as usual. Time the NRL management showed some bolleaux and followed suit!
Agreed!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

sprintman wrote: November 17, 2021, 8:31 pm The AFL didn’t muck around as usual. Time the NRL management showed some bolleaux and followed suit!
Looking over at Europe right now should be a wake up call for the NRL.

Granted we have higher vaccination rates then they do but with winter coming and cases rising the unvaxxed are right back where they were last winter, locked down.

Why not be proactive and mandate it now rather then be reactive and do some kind of bubble/restrictions etc come winter here?
Why say " its only 15 players ", lets not make a fuss. Why not its only 15 players lets sort this now?

Really its not that hard!

If Home And Away can mandate it why can't the NRL?
Vaccinated
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

??????

Out of line with the rest of the world?
Have you not been watching US sport headlines the last while? Two of the biggest names in sports Kyrie Irving and Aaron Rodgers (Last years NFL MVP) copping a heap of criticism, being labelled both selfish and idiots for their vaccination stances.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I am just baffled at the idea that the club is willing to carry part-time players.

What is the **** point of a player being in our squad if they can't help us get a win over the Storm in Melbourne?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.