Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: November 24, 2021, 10:20 am Is it confirmed CNK and CHN are the other two? I haven't seen any official sources naming them, only speculation in this thread. I don't think it's fair to critisize them if we don't even know for sure. Was it reported somewhere I missed?
Phil Rothfield named those four Raiders players in The Daily Telegraph Sports podcast (link above). It may or may not be correct, I guess. The Canberra Times, however, reports that if Josh Papalii is vaccinated, it would mean only two Raiders would be unvaccinated (with Joe Tapine named as one).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Vlandys has also stated there will be cap concessions for the non vaxxed players

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:21 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:I don't see anyone saying they should be forced to take the vaccine. The options are whether they miss ~6 games or we rule them out indefinitely to avoid disruption. It's their right to not vaccinate as it is a player's right in Queensland (at this stage) to go about their career without mixing with high risk opponents.
People are also getting too worked up over something they cant control and being aggressive and attacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with Roger, no one is saying they should be tired to a pole and jabbed( twice)

What we are saying is don't get jabbed thats fine, but deal with the consequences which are
- you cant work ( plenty of examples outside the nrl there)
- live with lock outs ( like nt - the unvaxxed get locked out of everything)
- don't see family again
Etc

You do realise if we all said no to the vax we would all be lockdown still?
It’s been a while since I’ve agreed with Cat, but here it is. I not saying either that they should be forced to do it, they’re free to say no. But freedom of choice isn’t freedom of consequence.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Raiders666 wrote:
cat wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:34 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:I don't see anyone saying they should be forced to take the vaccine. The options are whether they miss ~6 games or we rule them out indefinitely to avoid disruption. It's their right to not vaccinate as it is a player's right in Queensland (at this stage) to go about their career without mixing with high risk opponents.
People are also getting too worked up over something they cant control and being aggressive and attacking.

I agree with Roger, no one is saying they should be tired to a pole and jabbed( twice)

What we are saying is don't get jabbed thats fine, but deal with the consequences which are
- don't see family again
Etc

You do realise there is no vaccine mandate to play Rugby League yeah
I find the A League interesting here. They don’t have a mandate, but have told the players and clubs if they don’t get it, they can’t travel, stay in hotels, go into stadiums etc.

So they’re saying it’s not mandatory, but they have to get it for logistics. They’re at a 95% vax rate
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider Azz wrote: November 24, 2021, 10:20 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 24, 2021, 7:11 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 24, 2021, 5:38 am Yeah, when you consider the Warriors have spent the last 2 years away from home to keep the game going, not getting the shot when you’re able to is a bit of a **** move.
GE thinks the Warriors should be thankful for spending 2+ years away from home :roflmao

Disappointed in CNK. Thought he had a great head on his shoulders. The other three were expected.
Is it confirmed CNK and CHN are the other two? I haven't seen any official sources naming them, only speculation in this thread. I don't think it's fair to critisize them if we don't even know for sure. Was it reported somewhere I missed?
Just Rothfield which should be taken with a grain of salt most of the time. You'd think this one is pretty cut and dry, but maybe not with the CT having differing numbers.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:19 am
cat wrote:

- don't see family again
Etc

It’s been a while since I’ve agreed with Cat, but here it is. I not saying either that they should be forced to do it, they’re free to say no. But freedom of choice isn’t freedom of consequence.
Yep - agree with you and Cat on this one Fui
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Has anyone asked the vaxxed players how they feel about playing against an unvaxxed player?

I know many professionals in Sydney who refuse to see unvaxxed people including some doctors.
Others expect to see a negative test result before they will see them and they limit what they do with them.

Yes if you are double vaxxed the chance of you catching the virus is dramatically reduced and the chance of you getting seriously sick is dramatically reduced.
BUT if you have people in your circle ( family , friends etc) who are immune suppressed do you want to risk sharing bodily fluids on the field with an unvaxxed player?

What about those players ( and I'm not just talking about Tapine's team mates here) rights?
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:24 am
Raiders666 wrote:
cat wrote: November 24, 2021, 8:34 am

- don't see family again
Etc

You do realise there is no vaccine mandate to play Rugby League yeah
I find the A League interesting here. They don’t have a mandate, but have told the players and clubs if they don’t get it, they can’t travel, stay in hotels, go into stadiums etc.

So they’re saying it’s not mandatory, but they have to get it for logistics. They’re at a 95% vax rate
Where as the NRL are saying its not mandatory and we will work around and bend over backwards for the minority of players how say no

I'm just waiting for vlandys to try and work some magic again with the state premiers like he has done all pandemic.
The difference now is I dont think it will work
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: November 24, 2021, 11:43 am Has anyone asked the vaxxed players how they feel about playing against an unvaxxed player?

I know many professionals in Sydney who refuse to see unvaxxed people including some doctors.
Others expect to see a negative test result before they will see them and they limit what they do with them.

Yes if you are double vaxxed the chance of you catching the virus is dramatically reduced and the chance of you getting seriously sick is dramatically reduced.
BUT if you have people in your circle ( family , friends etc) who are immune suppressed do you want to risk sharing bodily fluids on the field with an unvaxxed player?

What about those players ( and I'm not just talking about Tapine's team mates here) rights?
Sounds like a new move we can develop here Cat - running the unvaccinated players at a nervously parting defensive line.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
cat wrote:

- don't see family again
Etc

Havent seen anyone say there should be freedom from Consequence

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Some people just love being dramatic lol
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

cat wrote:

- don't see family again
Etc

If the element of coercion exists, there is no freedom of choice. It's quite simple.
Campo88
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Campo88 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 24, 2021, 12:30 pm
cat wrote:

- don't see family again
Etc

If the element of coercion exists, there is no freedom of choice. It's quite simple.
This whole thing is a freedom of choice, no one is shackling these guys up to play footy, if they don't want to get vaxxed that's fine and a choice, but they have to live with the consequences that they've been very well informed about.

🤦‍♂️
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

What coercion?

No one is physically making them get vaxxed
Do you believe every nurse, doctor, teacher etc were coerced?
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: November 24, 2021, 12:56 pm What coercion?

The analogy is a nudist saying he chooses not to wear clothes. Nobody is stopping him from making that choice, but if he wants to play NRL there is an expectation he’ll whack on a jumper and shorts (unless perhaps if it’s the second Friday night game from Nth Qld - it’s hot, nobody is really watching and it’s Nth Qld)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD NOTE: We've deleted a whole lot of posts from this thread before, and locked it a couple of times. We've had to delete some more today. Could I remind everyone please, to be polite and respectful, to those at our club, and to the other posters on the site? We can have differing opinions, while being moderate and sensible. Thanks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is no coercion
What we have here in this thread is some people who believe their actions and decisions should be consequence free.
Sorry guys, that's not how life works.

For these footballers, they have a choice to make:
they can get the vaccine and continue to earn a staggering amount of money to play footy
or
they can choose not to get a vaccine and compromise their availability to earn a staggering amount of money to play footy.

It's completely their decision. They are in the privileged position of being extremely well informed about the FACTS of this vaccine (not the insane ramblings of some idiot on youtube who's done his own research and thinks he knows more about this than millions of scientists in the field across the globe) and what it does, what it doesn't do, the success rate, potential side effects AND understand fully the consequences of their decision either way.

So now they get to make their bed, and lie in it. Welcome to being an adult.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:There is no coercion
What we have here in this thread is some people who believe their actions and decisions should be consequence free.

For these footballers, they have a choice to make:
they can get the vaccine and continue to earn a staggering amount of money to play footy
or
they can choose not to get a vaccine and compromise their availability to earn a staggering amount of money to play footy.

It's completely their decision. They are in the privileged position of being extremely well informed about the FACTS of this vaccine (not the insane ramblings of some idiot on youtube who's done his own research and thinks he knows more about this than millions of scientists in the field across the globe) and what it does, what it doesn't do, the success rate, potential side effects AND understand fully the consequences of their decision either way.

So now they get to make their bed, and lie in it. Welcome to being an adult.
Go get ‘em Bot!

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh and good news!
It appears most the players have elected to lie in the bed of trusting scientists, not youtube whack jobs, and if reports are correct, there are just two lone idiots left "holding the line"... very lonely, and apparently not a very effective line they're holding there.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Botman wrote:Botman; There is no coercion
I want to know who is saying they should be consequence free?

Havent read anyone say that. What has been said is that theres a few people on here who are getting aggressive and attack said players because of the stance they have

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That IS a consequence of their actions/stance. One they, you, simply have to deal with, im afraid.
When you're a football player, and we're in the middle of a global pandemic, and you refuse to do your tiny bit to make sure you are fully available for the football team who pays you handsomely, the fans who buy the tickets, travel to the games, pay the tv subscriptions, purchase the merchandise... essentially the people who pay your wage are going to be upset, and they're going to be highly critical of you for those decisions. Just as they are about your on field actions.

There are reportedly 2 players who are holding out. If the Raiders lose key games because they're not available, im sure they'll hear about it then too from the fans. And hopefully from their team mates, their coach, their club and their sponsors for all whom they've let down with their actions. And the responses they get from those people will be a consequence of their actions. They own that entirely.

Actions = Consequences.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

cat wrote: November 24, 2021, 12:56 pm What coercion?

Yes. If we're going by the definition of the word and not some weird interpretation that some people in this thread seem to have of the word, then all those who were given an ultimatum were 100% coerced.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Glad I'm not an anti vaxer
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm surprised some people are pretending no-one's being coerced, just because they aren't being tied to a pole and jabbed against their will. That's not coercion.

Telling someone they'll lose their job, and won't be able to go to shops, restaurants, holidays, interstate/overseas travel to see family, etc unless they get jabbed, that's coercion.

Not saying it is or isn't justified, just that's it's coercing people to get it who otherwise wouldn't.

A large number of my colleagues, who are not "anti vaxxers", more "COVID-vaccine-hesitant", only got the jab due to the threat of losing their jobs.
Last edited by Finchy on November 24, 2021, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD NOTE: That discussion went way off track. Posts, including mine, deleted, because while footy was mentioned in a number of posts, it opened up posting that was off topic and that included misleading material. If we head off track again, we will lock.
Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Richo72 »

Good to see Papali getting the vaccine. Hopefully, he is viewed as a leader by other players and his decision will go some way towards helping others make the same decision.

Just as a side note : the Uk recorded around 45000 positive Covid cases on Tuesday with 160 deaths. They are 80% double dosed in the over 12s. Back in January 20 2021, they had 42000 cases and approximately 1450 deaths. They were 50% vaxxed in the over 16s at that stage.

As a person with 20 plus years of working in Critical Care, I can say It is completely untrue that more vaccinated people get sick and die than the unvaccinated. 9 out of 10 patients ventilated over the last 6 months in australia due to Covid were unvaccinated. Happy to provide the journal article from “Anaesthesia and Intensive Care” medicine if anyone is interested
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:14 pm I'm surprised some people are pretending no-one's being coerced, just because they aren't being tied to a pole and jabbed against their will. That's not coercion.

Telling someone they'll lose their job, and won't be able to go to shops, restaurants, holidays, interstate/overseas travel to see family, etc unless they get jabbed, that's coercion.

Not saying it is or isn't justified, just that's it's coercing people to get it who otherwise wouldn't.

A large number of my colleagues, who are not "anti vaxxers", more "COVID-vaccine-hesitant", only got the jab due to the threat of losing their jobs.
What about the vaccinated player, coach or support staff member with an elderly or immune-compromised family member (someone who is still at a moderate risk despite being vaccinated)? They have a right to a safe workplace. Footballers are not like office workers or gardeners. They have frequent close contact with a lot of people and they have community commitments that put them in close contact with vulnerable community members.

I support choice and I don't support mandates in low risk environments, but the NRL is not low risk. There are comfortably 40+ people an unvaccinated NRL player would be in close contact with on a day to day basis, and much of that contact would be indoors in places like gyms and class rooms. Then there is the weekly close contact with another large group as well as frequent close interactions in various community settings likely involving high risk places like hospitals, disability care settings and schools (high transmission risk)

As for who is responsible. Abdo and V'Landy's are incompetent cowards. They should have made this an issue of risk, stated that unvaccinated players jeopardised the work the game does in vulnerable communities, and made it clear that any player who wasn't vaccinated by 1 January would be de-registerred.

With the stroke of a pen they could make vaccination a registration requirement, and the clubs could then act in the interests of the club as a whole, without having wooden spoons, lawsuits and fractured playing groups to contend with.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mr Squiggle wrote: November 24, 2021, 4:26 pm
Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:14 pm I'm surprised some people are pretending no-one's being coerced, just because they aren't being tied to a pole and jabbed against their will. That's not coercion.

What about the vaccinated player, coach or support staff member with an elderly or immune-compromised family member (someone who is still at a moderate risk despite being vaccinated)? They have a right to a safe workplace. Footballers are not like office workers or gardeners. They have frequent close contact with a lot of people and they have community commitments that put them in close contact with vulnerable community members.

I support choice and I don't support mandates in low risk environments, but the NRL is not low risk. There are comfortably 40+ people an unvaccinated NRL player would be in close contact with on a day to day basis, and much of that contact would be indoors in places like gyms and class rooms. Then there is the weekly close contact with another large group as well as frequent close interactions in various community settings likely involving high risk places like hospitals, disability care settings and schools (high transmission risk)

As for who is responsible. Abdo and V'Landy's are incompetent cowards. They should have made this an issue of risk, stated that unvaccinated players jeopardised the work the game does in vulnerable communities, and made it clear that any player who wasn't vaccinated by 1 January would be de-registerred.

With the stroke of a pen they could make vaccination a registration requirement, and the clubs could then act in the interests of the club as a whole, without having wooden spoons, lawsuits and fractured playing groups to contend with.
I agree with everything you have said except the risk of Covid to rugby league players. Don’t get me wrong, Covid scared the life out of me, but I’m now a lot more comfortable with where we have landed with vax rates and bed availability.

If my son was an NRL player I’d be more worried about the long term risks of concussion or arthritis than I would of a fit young vaccinated man being skittled by Covid. No doubt many NRL players will fall ill to Covid (Josh Aloia today) and some will be impacted more than others, but I’m not as worried about the consequences of this than I was 12 months ago. That said 100% onboard for an NRL mandate for vaccinations like you have suggested.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Josh Papalii gives Raiders assurance he will get jab before start of new season

Josh Papalii has indicated to Raiders officials he’ll be vaccinated in time for next season despite posting a controversial social media message that can be perceived as a show of support for anti-vaxxers. Papalii – who sought a medical exemption for the flu shot in the past – is one of four Canberra players who are yet to receive their first jab.

The Raiders are confident that the four players remaining on their squad without an inoculation will have received their vaccination passport by early next year.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7301d9b6fa
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Can someone sit outside HQ and see which two are turning up in facemasks so we can know for sure who they are?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m ok with this I think. Lots of strong views on the topic and that’s not unreasonable. I’d like to have seen Papa get vaxxed as soon as he was eligible but I think it’s fair to say he isn’t keen on vaccines. Left him with a choice of don’t vax and be limited in his ability to play NRL or get vaxxed. He is choosing to get vaxxed but likely leaving it as late as possible to see if there is a change in position. He can do that. Not the way I’d do it but as I say I’m ok with it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: November 26, 2021, 7:52 am Can someone sit outside HQ and see which two are turning up in facemasks so we can know for sure who they are?
Sounds like a job for my future neighbour Pat.
He's big on community spirit.
Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Richo72 »

As I said before, Papa getting the vaccine is a good thing for the club as he is a leader and that may help sway opinions within those holding out.

The reality is all these restrictions on the unvaccinated are designed to protect them from catching Covid. I suspect it will get to a stage where governments, etc will say “ $and@@ them” and let it rip like in Europe. At our current vaccination rates, I don’t see it being too much of a problem to open up fully. Our hospitals can cope at this stage.

I think though that to win a Premiership everything has to go well through the season with injuries and luck, etc but it also requires all players and staff to be on the same page determined to work towards a singular goal of winning a comp. Unfortunately, this vaccination issue seems to indicate we don’t quite have that at the Raiders….
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Richo72 wrote: November 26, 2021, 8:47 am As I said before, Papa getting the vaccine is a good thing for the club as he is a leader and that may help sway opinions within those holding out.

The reality is all these restrictions on the unvaccinated are designed to protect them from catching Covid. I suspect it will get to a stage where governments, etc will say “ $and@@ them” and let it rip like in Europe. At our current vaccination rates, I don’t see it being too much of a problem to open up fully. Our hospitals can cope at this stage.

I think though that to win a Premiership everything has to go well through the season with injuries and luck, etc but it also requires all players and staff to be on the same page determined to work towards a singular goal of winning a comp. Unfortunately, this vaccination issue seems to indicate we don’t quite have that at the Raiders….
Exactly. You can't just have a couple of players - and from what we suspect, big-money players who we need fit and firing at 100% if we're a snowballs chance - sitting out a third of the season if you want to be featuring at the end of the year.

You need everything to go right if you want your season to go well. This is kicking off the season with a really large handicap.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Papa should now get the Vaccine ASAP. He needs to be focusing on training not having to constantly respond to the media speculation.