Captaincy 2022 and beyond

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I know Croker is still at the club, but as most would agree, his spot in FG or even the sport looks questionable.

Then next obvious option is Whitehead, but again, decline is a real concern here. The next thing is, should he make the switch to lock, does he play 80? Probably not.

Are we looking at a possible "2015 captaincy" delimma again? Ironically, the year Croker took over. Now, it's probably not an issue next year, barring injury to both the above guys, BUT... then who?

Wighton looks the most obvious, but id argue, to be a leader of men, you need to have all of your life working in the same direction, not sure he does. He doesn't take games by the scruff if the neck anyway, so I'd avoid.

Papa is an option. But would a "lead by example" guy work with such a young group? He isnt the loudest guy going around.

Tapine is too hot headed.

CNK?
Rapa? Mr can't challenge?!?

It's an interesting time. But I'd have Fog as a serious option already.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Captaincy 2022 and beyond

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: October 22, 2021, 2:41 pm I know Croker is still at the club, but as most would agree, his spot in FG or even the sport looks questionable.

Then next obvious option is Whitehead, but again, decline is a real concern here. The next thing is, should he make the switch to lock, does he play 80? Probably not.

Are we looking at a possible "2015 captaincy" delimma again? Ironically, the year Croker took over. Now, it's probably not an issue next year, barring injury to both the above guys, BUT... then who?

Wighton looks the most obvious, but id argue, to be a leader of men, you need to have all of your life working in the same direction, not sure he does. He doesn't take games by the scruff if the neck anyway, so I'd avoid.

Papa is an option. But would a "lead by example" guy work with such a young group? He isnt the loudest guy going around.

CNK?

I’m happy with the Fog. Although in decline I like Whitehead the player, like Whitehead the man, but I’m not impressed with Whitehead the captain. I want to see CNK find the right home in the backline based on form not because there is a (c) beside his name. Jack and Papa - lead by example but that’s all. It’s Fog for me and I’d do it regardless of where Croker or Elliott end up.

Failing that - Adam Elliot would be a great leader. Not sure where he would lead us but geez it would be a wild ride getting there!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: October 22, 2021, 3:18 pm
Matt wrote: October 22, 2021, 2:41 pm I know Croker is still at the club, but as most would agree, his spot in FG or even the sport looks questionable.

CNK?

I’m happy with the Fog. Although in decline I like Whitehead the player, like Whitehead the man, but I’m not impressed with Whitehead the captain. I want to see CNK find the right home in the backline based on form not because there is a (c) beside his name. Jack and Papa - lead by example but that’s all. It’s Fog for me and I’d do it regardless of where Croker or Elliott end up.

Failing that - Adam Elliot would be a great leader. Not sure where he would lead us but geez it would be a wild ride getting there!
I can see Fog with a VC this yr. So could well get a C at some point with injuries etc
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not sure Fogarty would walk in and get the captaincy but I would be keen to see him in the vice captain role. I do think it's definitely something to consider though, at least initially as vice captain and eventually as captain. In an ideal world, I would like to see Fogarty as captain and one of either Papalii or Wighton as vice captain.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fog isn’t in the same class by any means but there are plenty of examples (I think) of players joining new clubs and getting the (c). I’m thinking Mitchell Pearce at Newcastle and When Mal joined us. I’m sure I’ll be told if I’m wrong.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'd like to see CNK. He's all heart and leads by example. Also guaranteed to play 80 min - whether on the wing, fullback or centre.

Whitehead is an ineffective captain - hopeless challenges, he cannot lift the side, and refs don't take him seriously due to his complaints about everything and bad language used to communicate with them
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Would Taps be more consistent and responsible if you gave him the C?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

TommyTurbo.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: October 22, 2021, 3:39 pm Fog isn’t in the same class by any means but there are plenty of examples (I think) of players joining new clubs and getting the (c). I’m thinking Mitchell Pearce at Newcastle and When Mal joined us. I’m sure I’ll be told if I’m wrong.
I thought Lance was captain, with Mal taking over in 89...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

hrundi89 wrote: October 22, 2021, 3:47 pm Would Taps be more consistent and responsible if you gave him the C?
His wife could captain via Twitter. Even manage our bench rotations at the same time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: October 22, 2021, 4:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 22, 2021, 3:39 pm Fog isn’t in the same class by any means but there are plenty of examples (I think) of players joining new clubs and getting the (c). I’m thinking Mitchell Pearce at Newcastle and When Mal joined us. I’m sure I’ll be told if I’m wrong.
Correct. Lance took over from Ron Giteau in 1986, the year when Meninga arrived. Interestingly, Meninga was captain on game day, in his first game with the club. But that was only because Lance didn’t play in Round 1.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Fog will be later but not now.
Last edited by sprintman on October 22, 2021, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Foghorn leghorn

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 22, 2021, 5:00 pm
BadnMean wrote: October 22, 2021, 4:16 pm
Correct. Lance took over from Ron Giteau in 1986, the year when Meninga arrived. Interestingly, Meninga was captain on game day, in his first game with the club. But that was only because Lance didn’t play in Round 1.
So even though I was clearly wrong (thanks BnM) I was actually correct on a technicality (thanks GE). I’ll take it :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: October 22, 2021, 6:58 pm
So even though I was clearly wrong (thanks BnM) I was actually correct on a technicality (thanks GE). I’ll take it :lol:
He could have just stitched me right up and left it at, "actually Meninga was captain from his very first match." :roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I expect to see the 'c' beside EW to open the season. Jamal as an 80 minute player and at 7 will be close to the action so I expect him to be in some senior capacity within the side. Possibly standing in for EW if/when he is off the field. Rapa takes matters into his own hands often without the 'c' beside his name. Of the youngsters HSS seems to play unflustered under pressure. I don't know if he has any Captaincy experience. I want to see Mooney make it in FG as a player before looking at any leadership role.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Croker will be captain for Round 1. Literally no chance of it being anyone else so long as he's fit.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I don’t know why cause he probably shouldn’t be given extra responsibilities but I’d like to see Jack with the C next thing his name. Just think he is a leader, more with his actions when in 2020 he took it upon himself to show by example.

He is a state and international player, a Clive Churchill and Dally M medalist, that is someone I want leading my team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 23, 2021, 8:53 am Croker will be captain for Round 1. Literally no chance of it being anyone else so long as he's fit.
Barring some good form in the trials, where he absolutely deserves a chance- I don't think Croker makes it into round 1 lineup...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 23, 2021, 8:53 am Croker will be captain for Round 1. Literally no chance of it being anyone else so long as he's fit.
He has captained us to the highest number of losses in our club’s history. Sure let’s run with that plan again I guess.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: October 23, 2021, 9:16 am
Barring some good form in the trials, where he absolutely deserves a chance- I don't think Croker makes it into round 1 lineup...
When it comes to the Raiders I back him to be selected on name, rather than merit.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 23, 2021, 10:02 am
BadnMean wrote: October 23, 2021, 9:16 am
When it comes to the Raiders I back him to be selected on name, rather than merit.
I'm really struggling understanding why some people think Croker should get to 300 games. Sure - we want him to get to 300 games if he displayed his former abilities and form.

However Croker was dead set one of the worst, if not the worst centre in the NRL last year. I am not being disrespectful. You can go through the NRL list yourself. Aaron Schoupp, the Bulldogs centre, was better than him. And that's even before a cost / benefit analysis where the Parra centre Penisini and Paul Momirovski would come out on top. Unfortunately he's lost his ability to get through gaps and also chase and score from bombs and kicks. When he's been in the clear, close to the line, and the old Croker would certainly score - he didn't (think of the Cronulla game in the second half). His defence was a liability. Opposition teams will definitely target him in defence next year if he is starting, and based on the last year, he's no threat in attack and does not make many metres coming out of our end. If he's to come back, it should be to show some form and consistency in NSW Cup first.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on October 23, 2021, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

6. J. Wighton (c)
7. Fogarty (vc)

Having the captaincy might be just what he needs to go next level.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I'll take Papa for captain, l believe he's our best player and the captaincy will bring out his best form every game
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m always a bit funny when it comes to giving new signings the (C). I dunno, I think newbies need to prove themselves worthy.

It’s a hard one. I’d be interested to see if they do those Leadership personality tests. If they do, give it to whoever tops the results. Sometimes the best leader isn’t the most obvious choice.

Barring that, if I was to take a punt… Rapa maybe?
magoo wrote:I'll take Papa for captain, l believe he's our best player and the captaincy will bring out his best form every game
Or he crumbles to the pressure and brings out his worst form.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

Hard no for Jack as captain. He has always seemed like a confidence player and not comfortable in the media spotlight. Coming off a disastrous post-Dally M season, we need to get him focussed on becoming our matchwinner again
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Northern Raider wrote: October 22, 2021, 4:23 pm
hrundi89 wrote: October 22, 2021, 3:47 pm Would Taps be more consistent and responsible if you gave him the C?
His wife could captain via Twitter. Even manage our bench rotations at the same time.
I am very confident she would do a better job then Ricky.

Let's go Brandon.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 24, 2021, 10:04 am I’m always a bit funny when it comes to giving new signings the (C). I dunno, I think newbies need to prove themselves worthy.

It’s a hard one. I’d be interested to see if they do those Leadership personality tests. If they do, give it to whoever tops the results. Sometimes the best leader isn’t the most obvious choice.

magoo wrote:I'll take Papa for captain, l believe he's our best player and the captaincy will bring out his best form every game
Not Papa, he rises to the big occasions
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I think Papa could rise to it.

He'd need a 2ic for when he's off the field though. That might be a good way to see how Fogarty or someone else get eased into it.

CNK has the qualities but I'm not sure it's easy to captain from FB. He's busy enough when doing that.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Papalii is not going to be captain. He has gone on the record saying he does not want to be captain. He would've been named captain years ago if he wanted it.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Call me crazy but something I look for in a captain is leadership and the establishment and maintenance of culture. It’s beyond me that Havilli who has signed with south’s is in the media talking about his expectations that Starling will bounce back from his latest arrest but I’m yet to see anything from our current captains. Over on the Rapa thread Finchy is tallying up the indiscretions over the last 3 years and it’s an ugly story. Rewind it further and there is gets worse on the foul culture and discipline that has been a feature on the watch of the current captain. Any change works for me but outside influence is needed. Give the Fog the (c)!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:If Croker is gone, and we need to find someone else, I’ll suggest Starling.

Dude looks to have won Best and Fairest and POTY awards in each division he’s played in. Best 9 we have in the team at the moment. Strikes me as the kind of person who trains the house down.

Hand him the 9 jersey and the armband and see what happens.
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I’m always a bit funny when it comes to giving new signings the (C). I dunno, I think newbies need to prove themselves worthy.

B****y hell. Everyone I’ve put forward for captain this off-season have gone and got themselves in strife.

For the good of the team, I’m going to stop making suggestions.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

Whitehead is locked in until 2024 so I think he’s our safest option going forward given recent events.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Just wanted to bring this up again - has Ricky said who will be captain in 2022? I wasn't impressed with Whitehead's captaincy, refs don't take him seriously, he complains too much so it dilutes his effectiveness when there's a real issue, and he shouldn't be using bad language at them (example: Gerard Sutton). I also thought his captain's challenges were poor. And his form was bad - we blamed Sammy Williams for his shocking defence but if you watch closely in the Manly second game Moses Suli made Whitehead into a turnstile.

I'm for CNK, Jack or even a left field option like Tapine. I know you may laugh as he's previously a hot head but he's really controlled that part of his game in the last two years (e.g. Stephen Crichton goaded him after scoring the try and celebrated in his face but Tapine was calm) and he can lead by example with his aggression. Can you imagine if someone like Bellamy or Trent Robinson was his coach? He would be a top 5 player. It would be a leadership group and CNK and Jack can do the majority of the media stuff.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Look if we don’t think Adam Elliot is the immediate obvious choice then the fall back is the status quo - JC is skipper with Whitehead taking the reigns while JC is injured (4 out of first 6 rounds) by which time Fogarty has strung enough together to give him the gig as JC retires, Whitehead battles for a starting role and Fogarty leads us to the promised land.