Captaincy 2022 and beyond

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Captaincy 2022 and beyond

Post by Coastalraider »

Can we just leave Jack out of the conversation please?

Love the guy, but he is flat out figuring out his own game.. let alone trying to captain a side as well. He is quite obviously uncomfortable in the media, has maturity issues and has shown exactly zero leadership skills.

Apart from the fact he is paid a lot and Ricky likes him, there is zero indication he has any skill set to become a captain.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah 100%
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

It's going to be Croker as long as he is in the side (which he will be for the start of the season at least) and Whitehead. No point speculating any other way.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider Azz wrote: December 4, 2021, 12:35 pm It's going to be Croker as long as he is in the side (which he will be for the start of the season at least) and Whitehead. No point speculating any other way.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Agree 100%, but I reckon we've got a solid 4 pages of speculation and 2 pages of hot takes when it's announced to get through.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, Wighton doesn't need that responsibility. Papalii either.

Whitehead is a reasonable stopgap. It's clear he has been given the nod based on the uncertainty of Croker's future.

I'd be very happy with CNK. Level headed and always leads by example. Can't pass the football though, so that might be held against him.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

CNK's position in the team long term is pretty sketchy imo. Even accounting for the fact he's a very good canidiate otherwise.
Im very certain he can't be our long term fullback, he limits the team too much there. But hypothetically, lets say the coach does what i and others want him to do, and hands that fullback spot to Savage to know if he's our guy... CNK will move to centre or wing, he's a lock to be in the back 5 somewhere... if he did get moved to say Centre and proved to be as good as i think he can be there, then he's well positioned to be the next captain imo.

If not, I think the next captain is going to be one of guys yet to debut... Mooney if he's as good as people think could be a real viable long term option, same with Trevilyan

But until these moves play themselves out and we know where the roster is headed, it's Croker and Whitehead, and that's sorted for the next 2, potentially 3 years.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Arguably his best game of 2021 was when GWilly went done in the warm up. Jack played both sides as first receiver, and looked significantly better.

I think the biggest contributing factor was he didn’t have to think… he knew he was getting the ball, and he just did something with it. Played natural footy. Giving Jack instructions or thinking time isn’t a positive.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Tigers have just named 5 captains,
If all Captains can do Captains call, chat to ref etc why dont we name 13?
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You mean 17? Got to let the bench have a go!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There can only be one on field captain at a time. The referees will only speak to one player.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: February 25, 2022, 7:53 pm There can only be one on field captain at a time. The referees will only speak to one player.
Then why name 5?
Vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cat wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 25, 2022, 7:53 pm There can only be one on field captain at a time. The referees will only speak to one player.
Then why name 5?
are you being obtuse Cat?

they explained why they have 5, it's to do with their roles in the squad

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: February 25, 2022, 8:39 pm
Then why name 5?
Coaches are dumb ex footy players, and much like dumb idiot fans, dont really understand what leadership actually is. More is better... appareantly. You can just name leaders because you like some dudes and on we march... Can we get a smash cut to an inspirational hollywood sports movie speech?

No. Ok. Never mind.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

bonehead wrote: February 25, 2022, 8:42 pm
cat wrote:
Then why name 5?
are you being obtuse Cat?

they explained why they have 5, it's to do with their roles in the squad

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Thats called a leadership group not captains

Dont care what reasoning they give unless they can actually do the role as captain on the field its dumb and wrong to call them all captain

We might as well call all front benchers prime minister " because of their role"
Vaccinated
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Coastalraider wrote: December 5, 2021, 7:00 pm Arguably his best game of 2021 was when GWilly went done in the warm up. Jack played both sides as first receiver, and looked significantly better.

I think the biggest contributing factor was he didn’t have to think… he knew he was getting the ball, and he just did something with it. Played natural footy. Giving Jack instructions or thinking time isn’t a positive.

Jack is infinitely better as a first receiver but this forum will never buy it.