Final charge against Tom Starling dismissed

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged in alleged intimidation incident

Post by Coastalraider »

There’s obviously info we don’t have yet, the original venue from last year isn’t in Terrigal or even on ‘Terrigal esplanade’ so there are issues with the story from day 1.
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling charged in alleged intimidation incident

Post by Akyle1994 »

The charges combined don’t carry enough weight to be stood down, thankfully. Will it cause controversy after the way Scott was handled? Yes. Hopefully it can be worked through, I am looking forward to see how Starling goes as our full time 9. Loosing Hodgson and Solliola will be a big loss for team culture, question is who will stand up and influence against this behaviour moving forward?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d like to think most people manage to navigate their lives without being arrested let alone being arrested twice in two years.

There will likely be a legal process, a NRL process and a Raiders process and the outcome to those things will be what they will be. I suspect Tom stays in green.

Regardless of what and findings of guilt or innocence, it’s hard not to conclude that Tom makes some poor choices that land him in foolish situations.

As someone who follows a team it’s easier and more enjoyable to invest in players that you enjoy seeing succeed. How could you not say someone like Sia should enjoy every success that comes his way. In my view, Tom is narrowing the boundaries of what there is to like about him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Good news
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

From the police report it's about as minor charge as you could get. I doubt there's any repercussions for his playing future. That said I'd strongly recommend Starling steers clear of these nights out in Gosford.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Look in fairness he probably is better placed to defend a charge of running from the police than others might be.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

No excuse for going back to a venue where you have had issues in the past and carry on like a FLOG

Little man syndrome at it's finest
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

wouldn't surprise me if they were on the bags carrying on like Conor McGregor... pretty sure he's a big fan.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

This kind of claytons charge surely gets dismissed with a good lawyer. Sounds ridiculous and more like he and his group have got mouthy about things from the past. I'd be very surprised if there were any ramifications for him re: this, except a pull-your-head-in from Stick and some minor fine.

I do however think it shows the dangers of letting Hodgson go. Surely he signs with the Dolphinos after Nov1 as a snr leader, stays with us next year and plays a role similar to this year, and everyone is happy? (Especially Mrs Hodgson who doesn't have to move to Campbelltown?)
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Old School Green wrote: October 21, 2021, 2:10 pm This kind of claytons charge surely gets dismissed with a good lawyer. Sounds ridiculous and more like he and his group have got mouthy about things from the past. I'd be very surprised if there were any ramifications for him re: this, except a pull-your-head-in from Stick and some minor fine.

I do however think it shows the dangers of letting Hodgson go. Surely he signs with the Dolphinos after Nov1 as a snr leader, stays with us next year and plays a role similar to this year, and everyone is happy? (Especially Mrs Hodgson who doesn't have to move to Campbelltown?)
I'm willing to bet that no Tigers players live in Campbelltown. If you're being paid the salary of a league player, why would you choose to live in Campbelltown? Especially if it's not close to where you train... which in the case of Tigers players is Concord.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Old School Green wrote: October 21, 2021, 2:10 pm This kind of claytons charge surely gets dismissed with a good lawyer. Sounds ridiculous and more like he and his group have got mouthy about things from the past. I'd be very surprised if there were any ramifications for him re: this, except a pull-your-head-in from Stick and some minor fine.

I'm willing to bet that no Tigers players live in Campbelltown. If you're being paid the salary of a league player, why would you choose to live in Campbelltown? Especially if it's not close to where you train... which in the case of Tigers players is Concord.
This. The dude could live anywhere in Sydney. If they’re based in Concord, that’s basically the middle of Sydney. For Campbelltown, he could live anywhere and be max. 1hr away from there. He doesn’t have to live in Campbelltown
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He could choose to live at Penrith Beach for example.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Based on what I’ve seen, 80% of players in Sydney clubs are living in the Eastern Suburbs or northern beaches
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:21 pm He could choose to live at Penrith Beach for example.
:lol:

Reminds me of George William's desire to live the beach life. All that beautiful sea breeze in Warrington worked out well for him...
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Seiffert82 wrote: October 20, 2021, 5:18 pm Fled on foot. Image

Quality.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Be more romantic and daring if he "fled on a white steed"
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tom Starling had his jaw broken in August. Not sure if two months later he would be intimidating people. But we will eventually see what the evidence shows.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

2022 is off to an early start. 👍
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Old School Green wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:55 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:21 pm He could choose to live at Penrith Beach for example.
:lol:

Reminds me of George William's desire to live the beach life. All that beautiful sea breeze in Warrington worked out well for him...
I have a feeling the beach life thing was being driven by his missus…
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what the likes of Tigers, Bulldogs and Penrith players do in terms of living situation.

Because even Tigers territory can be quite a trek to the beachside, even out of peak hour.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I think I missed this whole joke…wasn’t it something to do with Matt Elliot? Could you fill me in?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 21, 2021, 7:07 pm
I think I missed this whole joke…wasn’t it something to do with Matt Elliot? Could you fill me in?
Yeah, it was a comment made by Elliott that he enjoyed being near the beach when he left us for Penrith, and salty Raiders fans screamed about the beach being no where near penrith as if Elliott was living in **** Glenmore Park or something :lol:

classic raiders fans though... they'll never forget a slight on the city.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: October 21, 2021, 7:13 pm
Yeah, it was a comment made by Elliott that he enjoyed being near the beach when he left us for Penrith, and salty Raiders fans screamed about the beach being no where near penrith as if Elliott was living in **** Glenmore Park or something :lol:

classic raiders fans though... they'll never forget a slight on the city.
Coming from someone living near the northern beaches, surely in that situation some of the irony is justified.

If you’re working every day in Penrith you’re surely either living somewhere near the Riff or signing up to hours and hours in your car every week trekking it west from the beachside arent you?
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I mean it was to some extent... but Matt Elliott wasnt living in Mt Druitt or some ****

Hours and hours? Na. Not going east to west like that.
I grew up in Penrith, still have much love for the place, but i spent many years working out of Penrith and living in the eastern suburbs too... at that time i was a forklift driver working early mornings and finishing mid afternoon. As i understand it, that's pretty well how most NRL train... the travel was pretty damn breezy... you're mostly going against the traffic going out west early and coming in latter.

I used to start work at 6:30am and usually left Randwick around 5:50am... and got there with plenty of time to spare. The home leg was slightly longer. It's a different kettle of fishing going from the west to the city early morning though, my then GF, now wife used to get caught up on the M5 coming back from liverpool and it was a 1-2 hour, sometimes 3 hour trek. Miserable stuff
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johno wrote: October 21, 2021, 5:06 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: October 20, 2021, 5:18 pm Fled on foot. Image

Quality.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Be more romantic and daring if he "fled on a white steed"
Just like the other classic western European fairytales, which invariably start with an argument between a nightclub bouncer and the intoxicated hooker.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Botman wrote: October 21, 2021, 4:50 pm Based on what I’ve seen, 80% of players in Sydney clubs are living in the Eastern Suburbs or northern beaches
Rubbish. More players live in the Shire than in the Northern Beaches.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Botman wrote: October 21, 2021, 7:13 pm
I have a beach 30m from me in Glenmore Park. It's small, stagnant, full of bin chickens, shopping trolleys and cars.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' hooker Tom Starling banned from drinking under bail order

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling - accused of threatening and offensive behaviour after being refused entry to a Terrigal bar on the NSW Central Coast - has been banned from drinking alcohol and not entering licensed premises under his bail orders. The case of Starling was briefly mentioned in Gosford Local Court on Wednesday, with his defence lawyer seeking a change, allowing him to attend a wedding at a licensed premises. Magistrate Scott Nash agreed and adjourned the case to January 11.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/news/crime/raiders ... -c-4589177
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So he can have a few at the wedding ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: November 18, 2021, 5:33 am So he can have a few at the wedding ?
No.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

As with some other players over the years Tom Starling has a choice. Alcohol consumption versus a high paid but limited term footy career. He is currently 23 and can set himself up for life via Rugby League or he can choose to continue his current path and put it all at risk. Hopefully there are people around him who can point him in the right direction. Sia, in his new role, may be one of those.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think the real lesson here is not to go on a pub crawl in his home town and act like a dick. He clearly has a target on his back after being a dick last year and getting away with it.

Just a slight modification to his behaviour and he'll be okay. The family makes it difficult. Back in my clubbing days, every time I went out with my brother we'd get into crap. So I stopped going out with him.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

I’m confused why has he requested his residence of address be changed from his ACT address to Central Coast?

‘including his listed place of residence from Watson in the ACT to Avoca Beach on the Central Coast’

If he’s not residing at that address it can be considered a breach, where is he residing? EDIT

Months ago we were expecting him to resign within the ‘coming days’ why hasn’t he if the club don’t see it as serious enough issue to address surely it’s not an issue resigning him? Has he hit open market?
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

I’m certainly no fan of drunks looking for fights or causing issues in public.

But the police and prosecutors seem to have charged Starling with offences that Police and Prosecutors regularly ignore or only give a warning to.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: November 17, 2021, 10:44 pm Canberra Raiders' hooker Tom Starling banned from drinking under bail order

Canberra Raiders hooker Tom Starling - accused of threatening and offensive behaviour after being refused entry to a Terrigal bar on the NSW Central Coast - has been banned from drinking alcohol and not entering licensed premises under his bail orders. The case of Starling was briefly mentioned in Gosford Local Court on Wednesday, with his defence lawyer seeking a change, allowing him to attend a wedding at a licensed premises. Magistrate Scott Nash agreed and adjourned the case to January 11.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/news/crime/raiders ... -c-4589177
I cannot imagine a more perfect form of torture than having to listen to best man, maid of honour and father of the bride speeches without having a few under the belt and the open bar just sitting there taunting you.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.