All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Mooted deal for Josh Hodgson to move to Tigers on verge of collapse

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: November 22, 2021, 1:35 pm Fair position from the club. The only benefit for us in releasing him early is if we had a dummy half plan B in the wings. We don't, so freeing up $500k in cap space for one season, while leaving our 9 depth critically short is a risky move.

Hodgson's best days are over. If he would have been happy to go for a 3 year ~$1.5 million deal with the Tigs in lieu of a 1 year $0.850 mil deal I'm sure something could have been sorted, with a reduced salary this season. Maybe the additional $700k over the next 2 years wouldn't be enough.

If he stays and is motivated to continue his playing career beyond this season we may still get some decent football out of him. Who knows.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
I think you'd move him on and free up the $500k if you had a viable recruitment target that you needed the extra money for. So I was all for it previously. But now I'm not all that confident we do. If we don't, then you'd keep him unless he absolutely wants out and is prepared to take a bit less to do so.
Yeah, if moving him on allowed us to take a punt on some young talent at 9, you jump on it. $500k should buy you a proper first grade dummy half.

If there is nobody available on the market to fit the bill, I'd be super nervous about losing both Hodgson and Havili and relying solely on Starling to play out the entire season. Super risky.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 22, 2021, 3:45 pm Yeah, if moving him on allowed us to take a punt on some young talent at 9, you jump on it. $500k should buy you a proper first grade dummy half.

If there is nobody available on the market to fit the bill, I'd be super nervous about losing both Hodgson and Havili and relying solely on Starling to play out the entire season. Super risky.

I don't think it necessarily has to be earmarked for a 9, I'm sure we won't go into 2022 with Starling as our only hooker on the roster. It could be an upgrade at fullback or a second rower or lock or something. But it doesn't look like we've got anything on the cards at this stage.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Trevilyn will be expected to progress this year, ready for 2023.

Hodgson was a quality buy for us, and is still a high quality player. But his injuries and outspokenness have seen him wane in the eyes of many.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

From the handful of games I saw Trevilyn had a ways to go, his service looked a bit sloppy and he was prone to an error or two. Relying on him as the only genuine backup for Starling would be a bit of a concern.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Looks like Hodgo will stay - I’m happy with this.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: November 23, 2021, 11:44 am Looks like Hodgo will stay - I’m happy with this.
Doubt it ;)
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Oh well bye Josh.

Some great years for the club but probably best for all parties.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: November 23, 2021, 11:48 am
Billy Walker wrote: November 23, 2021, 11:44 am Looks like Hodgo will stay - I’m happy with this.
Doubt it ;)
I doubted it as well but media today is saying he looks likely to stay? I dunno - wait and see I guess
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

There’s a bit on Hodgo at the bottom of this article https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/fresh ... a6acc87731
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hodgson staying put

Josh Hodgson's proposed move to the Tigers looks to be officially dead. The Raiders have dug their heels in, refusing to pay any of Hodgson's hefty contract money. The Tigers would only play ball if the Raiders contributed to the deal, so the deal is off unless Canberra changes its stance.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-j ... 97a3b38681
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Schifty wrote: November 23, 2021, 11:48 am Oh well bye Josh.

Some great years for the club but probably best for all parties.
Do you know something we don’t? News reports indicate he’s staying put.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Re: Josh Hodgson looks to be staying put

Post by RichmondRaider »

He's staying. Most players you want playing for a contract. I don't think this one - he's at his best when he's not trying too hard to be everything.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Will he , wont he.

I recon this will hot up after Starling has gone to court
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

Safe to say Hodgo stays put in 2022

I am actually glad he has stayed because i just don't trust Starling to play the whole 80

But anything can still happen before Round 1
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Be great to see Hodgson work on a ball playing Lock role. He occasionally showed some ability to straighten our attack as a first receiver.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: November 23, 2021, 11:48 am
Doubt it ;)
Sticking firm!!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well it's great news if it's the Hodgson of 2019, or 2015-2016. Otherwise, he'll stink the joint up.

And it's already fairly stinky.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: November 23, 2021, 3:18 pm Well it's great news if it's the Hodgson of 2019, or 2015-2016. Otherwise, he'll stink the joint up.

If it's gonna be that half assed lock role, it's gonna stink. Lock is for mobile, rugged, strong defenders who can offer something with the ball. Hodgo fits one of those categories.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RichmondRaider wrote:He's staying. Most players you want playing for a contract. I don't think this one - he's at his best when he's not trying too hard to be everything.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
That is a genuine risk IMO.

nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I for one am so happy Josh is staying.

He had a bit of a tough year after a knee reco within a team that played pretty terribly overall.

New strength and conditioning for him starting the off season early could do him absolute wonders

I'm very glass-half-full on this one, and happy :)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:Well it's great news if it's the Hodgson of 2019, or 2015-2016. Otherwise, he'll stink the joint up.

Here’s hoping he’ll play out of his skin for a new contract. Also known as doing a Harrison
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

With Hodgo in the team you're guaranteed at least 3 crash plays in a set when attacking the opposition line

Can't wait

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think now that he's definitely here in 2022, Sticky just needs to be blunt and say 'if you want to be playing first grade in 2022, you need to accept that your role is not what it was three years ago and you're a hooker/lock hybrid now'.

His best role for us is starting 9, then moving to 13 after 15-20 to let Starling come on and do his thing. As much as he wants it to be true he's not a 80 minute rake anymore and the rule changes of the last few years mean he's no longer a top-tier 9.

15 minutes as a starting 9 so he can defend in the middle while their big hitters are fresh, then straight to the backrow.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Hodgson set for one of his best years at the Canberra Raiders in 2022

Off-season suggestions that Josh Hodgson is no longer happy in the capital are wide of the mark. Onlookers observed two things when Hodgson took the field for a series of 1200 metres runs on his first day of preseason last week. He looked very fit. And he looked very happy.

Barring a swoop by another NRL club willing to match the final year of his Raiders contract, Hodgson will be wearing green next season. This should benefit both player and club.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep - I’m on board with this. I have to admit I didn’t read as much into Hodgo’s comments about GWillie and Scott as others did. I thought he was honest, respectful and I didn’t interpret it as a shot at the club or Ricky. I expected he’d go but I’m happy if he stays - still has lots to offer.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Yep...all good. We move on. 15 pages of GH speculation 😂
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Josh Hodgson’s move to Wests Tigers collapses

Wests Tigers pursuit of Josh Hodgson is officially over with the hooker expected to see out the remaining season on his contract. Talks between the Tigers and the Raiders have formally broken down despite months of negotiations.

The Tigers were keen on bringing the English international to the club for the next two years and Hodgson was keen to link up with coach Michael Maguire.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e05d724c92
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

WATCH THIS SPACE

See how it all unfolds with Foran wanting a better and longer contract

Huge domino effect if he does get a move to Newcastle

Foran - Newc or Wests
Brooks - Manly or Newc
Hodgson - Wests
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

with starling in limbo, its the right move.

if we arent going to sign anyone big, may as well spend the space on hodgson.

Who knows maybe the side turns it around this year.

9 hodgson
7 guy from titans
6 wighton
1 savage
has a nice sort of balance to it. With our middles playing well, even with our edges a bit average we should have a better year then last year.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Here’s to another year of lazy arm tackles, grubbers into shins, and more crash balls than ever!!

Can’t wait
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Rickmando wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:34 pm Here’s to another year of lazy arm tackles, grubbers into shins, and more crash balls than ever!!

Can’t wait
Whilst Hodgson's last season was garbage (and well summed up by you), I am concerned that without him we have no back up. Losing Havili means we'd be putting all our eggs into the Starling basket, who has shown he's better off as an impact player coming off the bench, and is just one off-field incident or broken jaw away from leaving us without a first-grade quality hooker.

I'd say we'll be needing Hodgson despite his over-playing, crash balls, horrible arm-grabbing defence, and shocking tackle 2 kicks into shins.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:41 pm
Rickmando wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:34 pm Here’s to another year of lazy arm tackles, grubbers into shins, and more crash balls than ever!!

Can’t wait
Whilst Hodgson's last season was garbage (and well summed up by you), I am concerned that without him we have no back up. Losing Havili means we'd be putting all our eggs into the Starling basket, who has shown he's better off as an impact player coming off the bench, and is just one off-field incident or broken jaw away from leaving us without a first-grade quality hooker.

I'd say we'll be needing Hodgson despite his over-playing, crash balls, horrible arm-grabbing defence, and shocking tackle 2 kicks into shins.
Oh yes, the kicks early in the set! How could I have forgotten about those? Thank you for the jarring reminder Finchy.

I understand the argument for 2022, but only in a vacuum. I think we should be looking a bit further into the future, even at the expense of next year’s results. We aren’t good enough to be competitive next year and should be focused on how we can be at our strongest in 2023 and beyond.

Starling should be getting as many minutes as he can handle - he and Hodgson are both on the roster (for now), but only one is capable of being a rep level hooker from here on in. I’d like to see him be given the starting job and work on his combinations with our halves and forwards as “the guy”.

Hodgson is just so stifling for us as a team and has no upside (and kicks the ball away 1 or 2 possessions too early)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sthsea22 wrote:WATCH THIS SPACE

See how it all unfolds with Foran wanting a better and longer contract

Huge domino effect if he does get a move to Newcastle

Foran - Newc or Wests
Brooks - Manly or Newc
Hodgson - Wests
Lol knights if they go after Foran.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Rickmando wrote: November 24, 2021, 4:13 pm
Finchy wrote: November 24, 2021, 3:41 pm

Can’t wait

Oh yes, the kicks early in the set! How could I have forgotten about those? Thank you for the jarring reminder Finchy.

I understand the argument for 2022, but only in a vacuum. I think we should be looking a bit further into the future, even at the expense of next year’s results. We aren’t good enough to be competitive next year and should be focused on how we can be at our strongest in 2023 and beyond.

Starling should be getting as many minutes as he can handle - he and Hodgson are both on the roster (for now), but only one is capable of being a rep level hooker from here on in. I’d like to see him be given the starting job and work on his combinations with our halves and forwards as “the guy”.

Hodgson is just so stifling for us as a team and has no upside (and kicks the ball away 1 or 2 possessions too early)
Honestly, I am glad you arent running the ship.

Every year you should be trying to win the title, the years you play for potential or building are just Bull wasted years... As a canberra fan you should have seen to many travis waddells, herberts and other **** potential players because this year we arent competing anyways.

Hodgson - I was critical of before a lot here, I was moaning about his Bull in the melb 2016 prelim.

But imo in late 2021 he wasnt really overplaying his hand as often as normal and he looked alright, he still had a few crash balls in him, but really with williams or frawley out there with wighton, I didnt mind that.

His defence was alright, he is always putting pressure on kickers and pushing up trying to put a hit on, its not his strength but he hardly shies away from it.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Luciano leaving the tigers is set to add another 40-50 pages to this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk