Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders favoured to sign Adam Elliott

Post by FROG »

Lui_Bon wrote: October 16, 2021, 10:22 pm
Rickmando wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:48 pm Here’s the thing… his indiscretions per se aren’t the issue (although sleeping with a team mate’s partner really is pretty crook).

It’s what they tell you about his application to the game. He’s obviously had enough base talent to get into the NRL - but how badly can he want to develop into the best player he can be? He keeps **** up, keeps getting pardoned and further chances, doesn’t really knuckle down and improve a whole lot, then goes and **** up again. It’s the cycle of repeated behaviour that should tip you off.

Now are we talking about latrell Mitchell or Cameron Munster here? No, we are talking about a plodding forward from the worst team in the comp. He’s not even making the best 17 of the top 6 sides on game day. So why would we invite risk into the building for such a low ceiling?

Have some other incompetent club be his last chance saloon and perhaps let’s aim a little higher in both the football and integrity stakes for our 200K investment??
Apart from the latest thing with partners, and I don't want to downplay it having just read the Phoebe Burgess thing, but apart from dancing nude on a table for the Telegraph's long lens perves to shoot, what else has he done? Genuine question, I get so many atrocities mixed up in my dotage...
I'm not sure Elliot ever slept with a team mates partner. They were caught kissing. Not great, but let's not overstate what happened. So as I understand it dancing nude and getting caught kissing two girls with partners are the extent of his indiscretions. While they may not be terrible, they do have the potential to destroy a club culture which can take years if not decades to build. If he genuinely stays off the drink I have some confidence he may go alright. I've been sober for 10 years now and so I know how tough it can be to stop but with the will and right support its possible.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

“Caught kissing”? Thrown out of a licensed venue shirtless for “cuddling”, after locking themselves away in a disabled toilet?? Come on now. I’m assuming most of us on here have been 25 year old men at some point, and the ones that haven’t been I’m sure have had to deal with their advances/behaviour. There’s nothing “innocent” about these “misunderstandings”.

In saying that, I’ll reiterate my earlier post about the indiscretions themselves not being the problem. Nothing illegal there, just unsavoury.

However on each subsequent occasion - he was supposed to be off the drink, having counseling, following team rules, regaining club/team trust etc etc….That’s the issue. The guy is coasting on his talent/reputation and any claims of improving himself as a player and team mate is pure lip service. And his level of talent is VERY average - not worth the reclamation project lifeline 200K bone throw
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: October 16, 2021, 9:48 pm Here’s the thing… his indiscretions per se aren’t the issue (although sleeping with a team mate’s partner really is pretty crook).

It’s what they tell you about his application to the game. He’s obviously had enough base talent to get into the NRL - but how badly can he want to develop into the best player he can be? He keeps **** up, keeps getting pardoned and further chances, doesn’t really knuckle down and improve a whole lot, then goes and **** up again. It’s the cycle of repeated behaviour that should tip you off.

Now are we talking about latrell Mitchell or Cameron Munster here? No, we are talking about a plodding forward from the worst team in the comp. He’s not even making the best 17 of the top 6 sides on game day. So why would we invite risk into the building for such a low ceiling?

Have some other incompetent club be his last chance saloon and perhaps let’s aim a little higher in both the football and integrity stakes for our 200K investment??
Great post exactly where I stand on the issue. It’s also the message it send to your club, the players and supporters about what you are about as a club. Forget the indiscretions, we are still saying we are the club that takes the fish that John West reject. In fact not even John West because the Bulldogs are dead bottom of the tuna production market and we are taking discards from them.

He is a bloke that has played NRL and like it not that makes him a leader in the club. If he is playing reserve grade it’s a fair bet he will be the most experienced player in the team. Is he really the dude we want developing players to view when it comes to preparation, professionalism, work ethic and everything else that makes a great player. As Rickmando points out - he’s had a million chances, has never taken it seriously and slides through on a level of talent that makes him a regular first grader in a rubbish team and a marginal first grader in a decent set up.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm relieved it was just caught kissing, and not sleeping with... still a dog act but I can't say I haven't done dumb things when young and full of piss.

I would lean away from the signing but I think there's upside here at least
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:56 am I'm relieved it was just caught kissing, and not sleeping with... still a dog act but I can't say I haven't done dumb things when young and full of piss.

Not sure that Michael Lichaa felt the same relief about the incident that I’ve only ever seen described as “an intimate act”. I think people are applying their own interpretations on what that might mean.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2021, 8:04 am
Canberra Milk wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:56 am I'm relieved it was just caught kissing, and not sleeping with... still a dog act but I can't say I haven't done dumb things when young and full of piss.

Not sure that Michael Lichaa felt the same relief about the incident that I’ve only ever seen described as “an intimate act”. I think people are applying their own interpretations on what that might mean.
That’s it isn’t it. Michael Lichaa was going to war alongside this bloke for 26 weeks of the year, only to have that happening behind the scenes? If we are going to criticise transgressions, that’s the biggest red flag out of them.

I’m just not sure why we’re bothering - plenty of meat heads out there who can cart the ball for 6m a hit up and make most of their tackles that haven’t felt the need to have an intimate act with a team mate’s missus
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: October 17, 2021, 8:30 am

That’s it isn’t it. Michael Lichaa was going to war alongside this bloke for 26 weeks of the year, only to have that happening behind the scenes? If we are going to criticise transgressions, that’s the biggest red flag out of them.

I’m just not sure why we’re bothering - plenty of meat heads out there who can cart the ball for 6m a hit up and make most of their tackles that haven’t felt the need to have an intimate act with a team mate’s missus
Also the timing is extraordinary - Sia, described as the greatest ever clubman, and just an outstanding human being retires. Ryan James a former club captain heads off. Hodgo a club captain is moving on. Croker and Whitehead, big questions over form and position in team. And we look to fill a leadership void with this guy. Couldn’t make this stuff up.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think Fogarty contributes to filling the leadership void.

Elliot is another bargain grab of the type that hasn't been "hitting" lately, with James and Scott. I hope we don't sign him. Sounds like no one at the Dogs is going to miss him. Why buy trouble?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2021, 7:53 am

Great post exactly where I stand on the issue. It’s also the message it send to your club, the players and supporters about what you are about as a club. Forget the indiscretions, we are still saying we are the club that takes the fish that John West reject. In fact not even John West because the Bulldogs are dead bottom of the tuna production market and we are taking discards from them.

He is a bloke that has played NRL and like it not that makes him a leader in the club. If he is playing reserve grade it’s a fair bet he will be the most experienced player in the team. Is he really the dude we want developing players to view when it comes to preparation, professionalism, work ethic and everything else that makes a great player. As Rickmando points out - he’s had a million chances, has never taken it seriously and slides through on a level of talent that makes him a regular first grader in a rubbish team and a marginal first grader in a decent set up.
Hit the nail, Rickmando and Billy. Just not good enough from a football perspective. None of the top 6 sides would have him in their best 17. Why should we even contemplate signing someone like that? His best game was several years ago. Why pay $200,000 for someone playing NSW Cup when you could sign a promising junior. And we haven't learnt from our signing of Curtis Scott.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don't think he'd be playing NSW Cup if Canberra sign him.

Ryan Sutton at lock is untenable. There are genuinely only 3 NRL standard backrowers at the club.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

julian87 wrote: October 17, 2021, 11:05 am I don't think he'd be playing NSW Cup if Canberra sign him.

Ryan Sutton at lock is untenable. There are genuinely only 3 NRL standard backrowers at the club.
Yes I agree Sutton at lock is untenable but it doesn't mean we should be signing Adam Elliott to play lock.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Quoted from the Telegraph story which doesn't make it true, but:
'The Raiders’ team culture is led by the playing group of senior figures that includes Jarrod Croker, Josh Papalii and Wighton. All three are supportive of Canberra signing Elliott, who reached a “mutual termination” of his Bulldogs contract last month.' David Furner is also said to have put in a good work for Adam Elliott.

Should the Raiders decide to sign Adam Elliott, then Sia Soliola will have his new role tested early. I am hoping the whole Telegraph story is due to a Journo trying to help a former 'Team source' at the Bulldogs. We will know soon enough.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:I think Fogarty contributes to filling the leadership void.

Elliot is another bargain grab of the type that hasn't been "hitting" lately, with James and Scott. I hope we don't sign him. Sounds like no one at the Dogs is going to miss him. Why buy trouble?
It's like we built this iron clad contract to protect us and he is an NRL player ... for a decent price so it's a good contract all around, because we're buying low, probably half what we offered him last time. So our front office has a win in those areas, the big problem is that he isn't that good. I agree with others saying we can't have Sutton at lock with V'landysball but Elliott doesn't fix the lock position because his game is the same as Sutton's, but not as good in any area.

A few years ago when he (Elliott) had a good season he had what we need, ability to poke his nose through a gap and an offload to go with it. Solid in defence and a good motor. But that was 2 or 3 years ago. I'd rather give Mooney a go.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

https://www-foxsports-com-au.cdn.amppro ... fd3c8d776e
Dunno about you mate but "making out" to means kissing to me. Nothing in there or in any other article Ive seen about an intimate act or that he slept with her. Still a disgusting act, but again, I ask that we actually call things for what they are. Re. The Boyd incident, I was only referring to information that id read and what she herself has said.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

His 2021 numbers really weren't good: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ry=summary
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

FROG wrote: October 17, 2021, 12:28 pm

https://www-foxsports-com-au.cdn.amppro ... fd3c8d776e
Dunno about you mate but "making out" to means kissing to me. Nothing in there or in any other article Ive seen about an intimate act or that he slept with her. Still a disgusting act, but again, I ask that we actually call things for what they are. Re. The Boyd incident, I was only referring to information that id read and what she herself has said.
Google a bit harder and you’ll find it mainly described as “together in an intimate act”. Make of that what you will and I’m not convinced one is better than the other - perhaps a case of being caught out doing one before having time to do the other.

If you are correct that he was only “making out”, that raises other concerns - the bloke is obviously as dumb as a plank if he gets his NRL contract terminated over two instances where he didn’t get past first base :lol: Sounds like the sort of guy you’d put through a gap with the line open and he’d still find a way to lose the ball. All that drama and the bloke never got a touch down according to you. :roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2021, 12:34 pm His 2021 numbers really weren't good: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ry=summary
Not great 2021 numbers with the ladies either. 0 from 2 after promising starts from what we hear.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Billy Walker wrote: October 17, 2021, 12:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 17, 2021, 12:34 pm His 2021 numbers really weren't good: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ry=summary
Not great 2021 numbers with the ladies either. 0 from 2 after promising starts from what we hear.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Elliott's stats weren't that good last year but still better than Whitehead who we extended for 3 years
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: October 17, 2021, 11:05 am I don't think he'd be playing NSW Cup if Canberra sign him.

Probably not and agree about Sutton we lock and our backrow stocks

But if he is actually not very good, having a guy paid under 200k playing nsw cup is perfectly fine. That’s not a roster/salary cap crushing situation
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

This story allows me to reminisce about an event back in my very distant days. We had a player, a bit of a gun who became prominent in government circles later who was everything I was jealous of. Talented, intelligent, handsome and suave. I was none of those things. He also had a girlfriend, later his wife who was drop dead gorgeous, model material. The following night was the club mid season Ball. We were playing a game one day when he suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg, his screams of agony must have been audible for kilometers around, I was working hard to prevent myself from vomiting at the ugly sight of his bones proruding through his sock. Everybody on the field was getting as far fom the scene as they could, leaving the Ambulance crew to their work.Our fullback ambled over to me and asked "I wonder who is going to look after his missus tonight?"
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

If he is signed, where is he more likely to play - Second Row or Lock?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: October 17, 2021, 4:52 pm If he is signed, where is he more likely to play - Second Row or Lock?
In the past we’ve seen him play second row, lock and in the cubicle. Not sure what his best position is but I know a couple of people you could ask :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Yesterday you were ever so kind to give me a lesson on what constitutes a sexist comment Billy. In your book, suggesting that female athletes are lesser dropkicks than their male counterparts is sexist to females .... so Billy ... where does this comment of yours rank on your sexist radar?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 17, 2021, 5:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Yesterday you were ever so kind to give me a lesson on what constitutes a sexist comment Billy. In your book, suggesting that female athletes are lesser dropkicks than their male counterparts is sexist to females .... so Billy ... where does this comment of yours rank on your sexist radar?
Gergs my comment was a tad on lewd side but certainly not sexist. Sexism is about characterisation of people (generally women) based on sex. So when you suggest that I watch women’s sports because they are all clean cut not controversial types, that is really drawing a 1950’s stereotype type that the dainty lady folk are expected to uphold themselves to standard different to their male counterparts. When I say Adam Elliot went zero from two with the ladies, I’m stating reported fact. It’s not a comment about all women.

It’s good you’re exploring this, I admire someone trying to better oneself. :thumbsup
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Gergs my comment was a tad on lewd side but certainly not sexist. Sexism is about characterisation of people (generally women) based on sex. So when you suggest that I watch women’s sports because they are all clean cut not controversial types, that is really drawing a 1950’s stereotype type that the dainty lady folk are expected to uphold themselves to standard different to their male counterparts. When I say Adam Elliot went zero from two with the ladies, I’m stating reported fact. It’s not a comment about all women.

It’s good you’re exploring this, I admire someone trying to better oneself. :thumbsup
So saying Elliott is 0 for 2 is not sexist because YOU think it is factually correct but me suggesting that women commit less off field incidents IS sexist despite it being proven time and time again.

Edit ... now I never said that female athletes cannot be absolute plonks if they want to.

Suggesting someone is 0 from 2 suggests that women and 'scoring' with them is a sporting contest and is derogatory. It's a small step away from having 'notches on your belt'.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: October 17, 2021, 6:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

So saying Elliott is 0 for 2 is not sexist because YOU think it is factually correct but me suggesting that women commit less off field incidents IS sexist despite it being proven time and time again.

Edit ... now I never said that female athletes cannot be absolute plonks if they want to.

Suggesting someone is 0 from 2 suggests that women and 'scoring' with them is a sporting contest and is derogatory. It's a small step away from having 'notches on your belt'.
Mr Gergs - if indeed you’d had suggested that women commit less off field incidents than men then I would not have considered that sexist at all. The thing about forums though is it’s difficult to try to rewrite history because what you actually said is still there. Let me remind you….

“If you like to follow sports with clean cut athletes that don't break any rules... well err... maybe you need to start following women's sport exclusively?”

Tsk tsk tsk - sexist my friend… big 1950’s generalisation right there. Just curious, did you threaten to turn in your membership when the club canned the Raiderettes? :shock:
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Cranky Old Man wrote: October 17, 2021, 4:22 pm This story allows me to reminisce about an event back in my very distant days. We had a player, a bit of a gun who became prominent in government circles later who was everything I was jealous of. Talented, intelligent, handsome and suave. I was none of those things. He also had a girlfriend, later his wife who was drop dead gorgeous, model material. The following night was the club mid season Ball. We were playing a game one day when he suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg, his screams of agony must have been audible for kilometers around, I was working hard to prevent myself from vomiting at the ugly sight of his bones proruding through his sock. Everybody on the field was getting as far fom the scene as they could, leaving the Ambulance crew to their work.Our fullback ambled over to me and asked "I wonder who is going to look after his missus tonight?"
Yeah good story but I don't believe you.

"prominent in government circles later... Talented, intelligent, handsome and suave." Come on! Everyone knows politics is show business for ugly people.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Based on the available evidence and using my remarkable powers of deduction the bloke in the story is either Barnaby Joyce or Clive Palmer.

Clive walks like he once broke a leg, but Barnaby screams a lot. This is a tough call.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Adam Elliott struck down by heat stroke

Taking time out in Darwin following his Bulldogs dismissal, Elliott was bed-stricken for two days after a high-intensity training session, followed by a day at the zoo with his son, left him sick and sorry.

Estranged from Lennex, who lives in Darwin with his mother, Elliott has spent the last three weeks with the 14-month-old after relocating to Darwin.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f3a014a906
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:17 am Adam Elliott struck down by heat stroke

Taking time out in Darwin following his Bulldogs dismissal, Elliott was bed-stricken for two days after a high-intensity training session, followed by a day at the zoo with his son, left him sick and sorry.

Estranged from Lennex, who lives in Darwin with his mother, Elliott has spent the last three weeks with the 14-month-old after relocating to Darwin.

Maybe he'd be worth having around just for the wacky headlines.

I've just never seen him do anything but plod. Not sure where the wraps on him come from.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:24 am
greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:17 am Adam Elliott struck down by heat stroke

I've just never seen him do anything but plod. Not sure where the wraps on him come from.
Haha. Strikes me as a poor man's Josh Jackson, let that sink in.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:24 am

Haha. Strikes me as a poor man's Josh Jackson, let that sink in.
precisely why the dogs have been dreadful

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Dogs haven't been dreadful because of Adam Elliott haha
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:The Dogs haven't been dreadful because of Adam Elliott haha
yes they have, think a little deeper.

They have had duds like Elliott and Jackson as their better players thus being dreadful.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer