Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

Post by RedRaider »

Come on Lazzo - 'of the same ilk' ? Really. Well they will both have worn the half back jersey for the Raiders. One was a game changing International who dominated the competition wearing the 7. I would love to see Jamal get to that level but I am not expecting anything other than a serviceable NRL half back.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote: October 20, 2021, 4:49 pm Come on Lazzo - 'of the same ilk' ? Really. Well they will both have worn the half back jersey for the Raiders. One was a game changing International who dominated the competition wearing the 7. I would love to see Jamal get to that level but I am not expecting anything other than a serviceable NRL half back.
"Probably not as good as Ricky" :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I just want to put it on record...im also "probably" not as good as Ricky Stuart at being a halfback

Take the time you need to digest and process this.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

post deleted due to excessive rambling stupidity...
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Written by Rick’s (and The Pork’s) old mate Eamonn Tiernan.

You’d think he’d covered the Raiders long enough to get the player’s names right.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why Jamal Fogarty could be one of the Raiders’ most important signings since 1998
Tim Gavel

If ever you need evidence of the importance of an effective kicking game in the NRL, look no further than the 2021 grand final between the Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs. This is why the Raiders’ recent signing of Jamal Fogarty from the Gold Coast Titans is so important.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/why-jamal-fogar ... 998/505922
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

greeneyed wrote:Why Jamal Fogarty could be one of the Raiders’ most important signings since 1998
Tim Gavel

If ever you need evidence of the importance of an effective kicking game in the NRL, look no further than the 2021 grand final between the Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs. This is why the Raiders’ recent signing of Jamal Fogarty from the Gold Coast Titans is so important.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/why-jamal-fogar ... 998/505922
I hope so. Seems the knock on him in the Titans forum was his lack of 5th take option. Looking forward to seeing what he can do, I think it was a great deal

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Fans are putting as much hope in Fogarty's kicking game as they did Sezer's before he arrived. Yet come his final season, Sezer flat out stopped kicking the ball from range. Think expectations need to be tempered a bit here.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The six playmakers who will face the most pressure heading into the 2022 season

JAMAL FOGARTY – Raiders
Career Games: 41

Ricky Stuart has a history of riding his halfbacks hard. Some thrive on it, some fold. But one thing going for the new recruit who will be wearing Stuart’s old Raiders’ No 7 jumper next year is that they reckon Fogarty trains as hard as anyone and is a first class person to boot.

And while he might not have the star power of some of the game’s elite playmakers, the Raiders bought him knowing what he was capable of. He just needs to keep things simple and manage the team, and that will allow Jack Wighton to get back to doing what he does best, running the football.If that happens the Raiders have every chance of rocketing up the ladder.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7d90d46a7e
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

All I want from Fogarty is to take some pressure of Jack so he doesn't have to do any thinking on the field.

I don't need him to be Andrew Johns. I just need him to roll it into the in-goal on the fifth. And the occasional bomb. That's it.

And if he could take over goalkicking too that'd be aces.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Vaxxed or not?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Timbo wrote: November 12, 2021, 8:53 am All I want from Fogarty is to take some pressure of Jack so he doesn't have to do any thinking on the field.

I don't need him to be Andrew Johns. I just need him to roll it into the in-goal on the fifth. And the occasional bomb. That's it.

And if he could take over goalkicking too that'd be aces.
That sounds like Sam Williams to me. In which case I’m afraid we’re going to need a bit more than that.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I dont think he sounds like another Sam Williams at all. Sams great problem is durability, the accumulation of hits and efforts just becomes too debilitating too quickly for Sam. When he is used sparingly, as an occasional replacement he is usually quite serviceable. I think Fogarty seems more durable, but I sort of wonder at the small percentage of games he has played in first grade in the time he has been in the NRL. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt but will watch with interest.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 13, 2021, 4:20 pm I dont think he sounds like another Sam Williams at all. Sams great problem is durability, the accumulation of hits and efforts just becomes too debilitating too quickly for Sam. When he is used sparingly, as an occasional replacement he is usually quite serviceable. I think Fogarty seems more durable, but I sort of wonder at the small percentage of games he has played in first grade in the time he has been in the NRL. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt but will watch with interest.
It will be an interesting experiment in a half who has had time to genuinely develop his game vs men, THEN done well at NRL level relatively late (mid 20s vs early/teens) and how much further he can go.

Vs the constant chase for the talented, unproven 20 year old who just might be Cleary or just as easily be Flanagan or McCrone.

I have a feeling he'll do well. Of course that depends on expectations. But I'm expecting slightly more creative Sezer, not DCE.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hopefully does a bit of a cody walker

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 13, 2021, 4:20 pm I dont think he sounds like another Sam Williams at all. Sams great problem is durability, the accumulation of hits and efforts just becomes too debilitating too quickly for Sam. When he is used sparingly, as an occasional replacement he is usually quite serviceable. I think Fogarty seems more durable, but I sort of wonder at the small percentage of games he has played in first grade in the time he has been in the NRL. I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt but will watch with interest.
I didn't say Fogarty sounds like Sam Williams or even is like Sam Williams. I was highlighting the bolded part of only needing Fogarty to be able to roll it into the in-goal on the fifth, put up an occasional bomb, and take over kicking duties. That sounds a lot like what Sam Williams currently delivers. Which is why I'm saying we're going to need more than that to improve next year. We need a more potent attacker, passer, kicker, defender, etc, than what Sam Williams is.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Welcome Jamal Fogarty. He spoke to the media about his first impressions of the club, settling into Canberra and his upcoming reunion with Josh Papalii: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/11 ... l-fogarty/
GreenInferno
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Past: Chicka Current: Big Red

Post by GreenInferno »

Has a nice energy about him. Speaks well too.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Well spoken is our Jamal. Welcome aboard fella!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Probably based on that one interview I'd have him ahead of most for a future captain - if he performs of course ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Learning from Ricky Stuart and linking with Jack Wighton sold Jamal Fogarty on Canberra Raiders

The chance to learn from legendary halfback Ricky Stuart and link with Clive Churchill Medalist Jack Wighton were huge selling points for former Titan Jamel Fogarty in his move to Canberra.

"Being a half, to work with Ricky, I'm super excited about that," Fogarty said. "I'm kind of new so I haven't really got a gauge on 'Stick' yet but obviously his success at the club, he knows what needs to be done so hopefully I can try and pick his brains as much as possible and hopefully we can work together, myself individually and as a team to bring a bit of success back to the club."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/11/26/lea ... n-raiders/
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

No point picking Ricky's brain about being a half, he thinks it was all just hard work, and doesn't understand the nuances of why he was so good. Same with many maestros, they don't always make great teachers
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jamal came across as very grounded about his footy and comfortable in dealing with the media. Hopefully the groin injury of this season is 'good to go' when next season rolls around. As I've said before, I'm not looking for anything other than a serviceable FG halfback who makes mostly correct decisions and executes the plays on both sides of the ball, at FG level.
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Very likeable character

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Canberra Milk wrote: November 27, 2021, 6:30 am No point picking Ricky's brain about being a half, he thinks it was all just hard work, and doesn't understand the nuances of why he was so good. Same with many maestros, they don't always make great teachers
D.o.H’s
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New recruit Jamal Fogarty excited by prospect of linking with Canberra Raiders star Jack Wighton

Boom Raiders recruit Jamal Fogarty has slotted in seamlessly to preseason training at his new club. The next item on the former Titan's checklist is forming a lethal halves combination with Jack Wighton.

"I'm super excited about trying to link up with Jacky, we all know what type of player he is," Fogarty said. "When he's got the ball, if he wants to run at blokes he will, or he's got enough speed to run around blokes.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Learning from Stuart and linking with Wighton sold Fogarty on Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/11/26/lea ... n-raiders/

VIDEO: Jamal Fogarty press conference: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/11 ... l-fogarty/
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Boom is a bit of a stretch. Let's just say, adequate.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: December 1, 2021, 5:20 pm Boom is a bit of a stretch. Let's just say, adequate.

:lol: yes indeed
We really must not pretend like we’ve signed anything more than an OK short term Band-Aid solution
If he proves to be better than that, great but that’s what he was signed as
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I think he'll prove to be a solid buy for us. He's definitely got the right attitude. He might be the first halfback to improve under Ricky. You need to be a willing student to learn from the master.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: December 1, 2021, 6:48 pm
Azza wrote: December 1, 2021, 5:20 pm Boom is a bit of a stretch. Let's just say, adequate.

We really must not pretend like we’ve signed anything more than an OK short term Band-Aid solution
Fogarty is an upgrade at halfback at the right price. Best described as an adequate solution to filling a roster gap. If we become overly fixated on having a dominant no7 we're only set up for disappointment. There's only a handful of guys in the country that would fit that description and none of them are coming to Canberra.

The key is getting top level contributions from our current highest paid spine players i.e. Wighton and Hodgo. We all know the latter may not even be part of the team going forward. So what the future holds is yet to be determined.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: December 2, 2021, 7:46 am
Botman wrote: December 1, 2021, 6:48 pm

Fogarty is an upgrade at halfback at the right price. Best described as an adequate solution to filling a roster gap. If we become overly fixated on having a dominant no7 we're only set up for disappointment. There's only a handful of guys in the country that would fit that description and none of them are coming to Canberra.

The key is getting top level contributions from our current highest paid spine players i.e. Wighton and Hodgo. We all know the latter may not even be part of the team going forward. So what the future holds is yet to be determined.
I think that's an important point. Fogarty is a role player, on a modest role players salary. It's Wighton's job to bring the x factor.

If Fogarty creates some combos/fluency in our attack on the right (previously almost non existant), makes his tackles most of the time and improves our kicking game (hit some grass, or bomb/chip with purpose or get some repeats), then he's doing his job.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

100% agree fellas
Fogarty is here to do a job, and if he can do his job to a reasonable NRL standard, and the other highly paid, high pedigree players around him perform to their standards, we'll be able to get by

If guys like Jack, Whitehead, Papalii, Tapine etc dont fire, Fog aint gonna save the day
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree - he is coming in as modest 7 to do a job, BUT and I have no strong basis for this other than a hunch - I just have a feeling we will be scrambling to upgrade him to avoid him being poached. Don’t ask me why, but I just think this one will turn out to be one of those glorious signings that far exceeds our rightly measured expectations.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: December 2, 2021, 9:14 am I agree - he is coming in as modest 7 to do a job, BUT and I have no strong basis for this other than a hunch - I just have a feeling we will be scrambling to upgrade him to avoid him being poached. Don’t ask me why, but I just think this one will turn out to be one of those glorious signings that far exceeds our rightly measured expectations.
Not sure why there would be any scrambling. He's contracted till end of 2023. By the end of next season he will have demonstrated his worth to the team and his next contract value will be based on that. If he's worth double his current deal then everybody is a winner.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I see some people are still dissatisfied that we have signed Fogarty. Dissatisfied on what basis ? We had G Williams leave us suddenly and besides Reynolds who joined Broncos for a longer contract which his own junior club refused to grant in which he was the captain, there was no one good coming off the market. Hynes wouldn't have joined us for lifestyle reasons, maybe the same for Reynolds. We should get real - Fogarty, compared to Adam Clune, Townsend, Milford whose contract cannot even be registered, Ash Taylor, the perennially injured Shaun Johnson, Dearden, Corey Norman, Clifford , Mitchell "I want to sample French wines" Pearce is very good. We could not have Sammy Williams in the driver's seat again for more than one game. And he's better than Brooks , Kyle Flanagan who are not off contract as well.

My only complaint is resigning both Sammy and Frawley - I would have gone for a up and coming player(s) with upside such as Luke Metcalf or the St George half Jayden Sullivan or Sean O Sullivan. It is a waste of the cap for Sammy Williams and Frawley to be resigned in lieu of having an up and comer on our books.