Jamal Fogarty joins Canberra Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Gold Coast Titans half Jamal Fogarty

Post by rayden83 »

Not sure about the Hodgson swap. Everyone thought Rapana was finished but he had a pretty solid season. Hodgsons season was beset by injury, an out of form forward pack and being played out of position. He’s only 31 and probably has another 2-3 good years ahead of him, maybe more, since speed and athleticism is not his hallmark.

I like Starling but I’m not sure he’s an 80 minute player. He has no football IQ. If you gain Fogarty’s brain but lose Hodgsons brain it’s kinda zero sum.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Not sure about the Hodgson swap. Everyone thought Rapana was finished but he had a pretty solid season. Hodgsons season was beset by injury, an out of form forward pack and being played out of position. He’s only 31 and probably has another 2-3 good years ahead of him, maybe more, since speed and athleticism is not his hallmark.

I like Starling but I’m not sure he’s an 80 minute player. He has no football IQ. If you gain Fogarty’s brain but lose Hodgsons brain it’s kinda zero sum.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

rayden83 wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:50 pm Not sure about the Hodgson swap. Everyone thought Rapana was finished but he had a pretty solid season. Hodgsons season was beset by injury, an out of form forward pack and being played out of position. He’s only 31 and probably has another 2-3 good years ahead of him, maybe more, since speed and athleticism is not his hallmark.

That's why we should have kept Havili
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

How on Earth would a Fogarty/Hodgson swap work with such a salary disparity. We are expected to swap the two players and pay for the privilege???? That would be beyond dumb.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:28 pm How on Earth would a Fogarty/Hodgson swap work with such a salary disparity. We are expected to swap the two players and pay for the privilege???? That would be beyond dumb.
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:53 pm
rayden83 wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:50 pm Not sure about the Hodgson swap. Everyone thought Rapana was finished but he had a pretty solid season. Hodgsons season was beset by injury, an out of form forward pack and being played out of position. He’s only 31 and probably has another 2-3 good years ahead of him, maybe more, since speed and athleticism is not his hallmark.

That's why we should have kept Havili
Nah. Game is too fast for him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times suggesting that if Ash Taylor is signed by the Warriors, that might shake loose Chanel Harris Tavita... or alternatively Kodi Nikorima, who is reportedly keen on an Australian club: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Nikorima better stats than CHT and similar to Fogarty.
Toviii
Laurie Daley

Post by Toviii »

One feels CHT has far more upside than Nikorima if he can stay fit
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

greeneyed wrote:The Canberra Times suggesting that if Ash Taylor is signed by the Warriors, that might shake loose Chanel Harris Tavita... or alternatively Kodi Nikorima, who is reportedly keen on an Australian club: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

He carved us at Bruce this year

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The folks on the Titans forum want Starling in a swap, not Hodgson.

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/showth ... post421841

Tell him he's dreaming!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Hahahahah ha ha no

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

I still can't believe there are people who want to be rid of hodgson when we haven't got anything remotely close to a good game manager....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

VictorTheViking wrote: September 23, 2021, 10:18 pm I still can't believe there are people who want to be rid of hodgson when we haven't got anything remotely close to a good game manager....

I can't believe there are still people who think Hodgson is a game manager
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:
VictorTheViking wrote: September 23, 2021, 10:18 pm I still can't believe there are people who want to be rid of hodgson when we haven't got anything remotely close to a good game manager....

I can't believe there are still people who think Hodgson is a game manager
So who are our other (current) options as game managers? Wighton, Williams/Frawley or ...
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Coastalraider wrote:
Matt wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:56 pm
Botman wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:22 pm
Timbo wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:15 pm Imagine being offered double your current salary and the first crack at the #7 in first grade but your current club refusing and then sending you off to play in front of ten people at Pizzey Park.

You’d burn the place to the ground.
I’m admittedly probably the most pro player poster on this site when it comes to these things
But this is why it’s foregone conclusion if those facts are correct, there isn’t a player on that titans roster who won’t empathise with that situation and be furious at the club denying him this opportunity financially and professionally

I’d be furious if our club denied a back up the opportunity to earn double their income and get a genuine Fg opportunity.
Again, agreed
I concur.
The outpouring of support for Ryan James joining the Broncos on IG in the last 24hrs by Raiders players is a perfect example of this.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:25 pm
Raider47 wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
afgtnk wrote: September 23, 2021, 5:29 pmUgh.
What?
The Luke Brooks dream might be coming to an end
And the unwanted, ordinary 28 year old with 40 games under his belt reality just beginning
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Botman wrote:It's absolutely appalling that they've let him on TV for this long
Amazing what Qlders are willing to accept
We have the internet in Queensland now, so no need to watch.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

afgtnk wrote:
What?
And the unwanted, ordinary 28 year old with 40 games under his belt reality just beginning
And yet he has played more final games than old mate. I love it how there are concerns with the amount of first grade experience this bloke has when theres this other bloke from the storm, who isn't a half back and has less first grade experience, and yet people were prepared to throw him 700k! Put me down for a Jamal thank you

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

FROG wrote: September 24, 2021, 5:55 am
afgtnk wrote:
What?
And yet he has played more final games than old mate. I love it how there are concerns with the amount of first grade experience this bloke has when theres this other bloke from the storm, who isn't a half back and has less first grade experience, and yet people were prepared to throw him 700k! Put me down for a Jamal thank you

Id have been very happy with Hynes, but Jamal is a more proven commodity in the position. Im excited by this potential pickup though
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

afgtnk wrote: September 23, 2021, 11:50 pm
What?
Serious question: are you related to Luke Brooks in any way? Are you his manager?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Colk wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:09 am
What?
Serious question: are you related to Luke Brooks in any way? Are you his manager?
Colk ajsfndjksfndsaj has a very long and storied relationship with the Raiders halfback situation.

He isn't Brooks' manager but once he plants his flag in the ground on a player no amount of empirical evidence, data or otherwise will deter him from the course he has charted.

The relationship dates back to the Aiden Sezer days where the flag was planted over the fact he was the worst halfback that had ever donned a rugby league jersey.

Since then we have had:

Sam Williams apologism;
Matt Frawley death riding;
Luke Brooks support;

And now the most recent iteration - Jamal Fogarty is Aiden Sezer mk II (i.e the second worst halfback that has ever donned a jersey).

It is certainly quite weird.
Up The Milk
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I would happily swap Hodgson for Fogarty, hell I would swap him for Brooks. Might be harsh but I don't think Hodgson offers much anymore, he may bounce back and have another 1 of 2 good seasons ala Rapana but he has been very poor over the last 2 years IMO. His service is sloppy, he gives away silly penalties, his sometimes unexpected early tackle kicks, he rushes up in defence all the time and misses his man because he can't move sideways. Does more bad that good imo
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

RichmondRaider wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:The Canberra Times suggesting that if Ash Taylor is signed by the Warriors, that might shake loose Chanel Harris Tavita... or alternatively Kodi Nikorima, who is reportedly keen on an Australian club: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

He carved us at Bruce this year

Can certainly throw a decent forward pass.....
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Nikorima had perfectly suited conditions for him that game- an early round game vs a team who suffered a whopping injury count meaning the big men all had to play way too many minutes + some outside back reshuffling. I knew he'd kill us in the final 10-15.

But it's not often he gets all the odds stacked in his favour like that. I'd prefer Fogarty to partner with Jack. I'd prefer Nikorima if we didn't have Jack.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

We proved in 2020 that we can do just fine without Hodgson.
He spat the dummy and gave up the captaincy can’t see him staying on. Time to move on as good as he has been for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:06 am
Colk wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:09 am

What?
Colk ajsfndjksfndsaj has a very long and storied relationship with the Raiders halfback situation.

He isn't Brooks' manager but once he plants his flag in the ground on a player no amount of empirical evidence, data or otherwise will deter him from the course he has charted.

The relationship dates back to the Aiden Sezer days where the flag was planted over the fact he was the worst halfback that had ever donned a rugby league jersey.

Since then we have had:

Sam Williams apologism;
Luke Brooks support;

And now the most recent iteration - Jamal Fogarty is Aiden Sezer mk II (i.e the second worst halfback that has ever donned a jersey).

What a truly bizarre post. You could almost have been crying as you've written it.

No empirical evidence and data will 'deter me from the course I've charted'? Actually, I rely heavily on evidence long term and getting a deeper understanding... hence why I don't often have to sway from my path.

Only thing weird here is completely jumping the gun and resorting to make blatantly making stuff up here to try and get something over someone. 'Death riding Matt Frawley' Huh?. 'Jamal Fogarty is Sezer mk II'. Lol. The ****?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

FROG wrote: September 24, 2021, 5:55 am
afgtnk wrote:
What?

You mean his team limped into the finals as one of the weakest contenders ever, and got booted out first go.

Not sure that's something to hang a hat on if I'm being honest.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I call Bull on the club putting Hodgo forward as a player swap.

On one hand they have a halfback who they plan on playing in reserve grade, earning significantly under the NRL average, while we have an international 9 who arguably is a significantly better player than Fogarty.

Why would we need to do a player swap to pry a reserve grader out of the Titans. Seriously? Surely the club wouldn't do that.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote:I call Bull on the club putting Hodgo forward as a player swap.

On one hand they have a halfback who they plan on playing in reserve grade, earning significantly under the NRL average, while we have an international 9 who arguably is a significantly better player than Fogarty.

Why would we need to do a player swap to pry a reserve grader out of the Titans. Seriously? Surely the club wouldn't do that.

Yeah i agree

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:05 pm I call Bull on the club putting Hodgo forward as a player swap.

No one has said the club has put that forward. It has been put forward by a journalist/commentator.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So what's the story. Officially knocked back?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Hodgo in a swap deal would pretty much fix our attack for 2022.
Get it done
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’d drive Hodgo to the GC myself (well, to Tweed Heads under the current border rules) in order to make it happen. Let’s get it done
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote: Since then we have had:

Sam Williams apologism;
Luke Brooks support;

How can you write a post like this and not include CNK deathriding?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:05 pm I call Bull on the club putting Hodgo forward as a player swap.

No one has said the club has put that forward. It has been put forward by a journalist/commentator.
And I'm calling Bull on that claim by the journo. There is no reason the club would need to do that.