2021 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing all 31 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2021.

In 2019, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was a revelation. He almost started the season as "Charzne who?". But he ended it as one of the top fullbacks in the NRL. He was voted the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Best Back, with a Grand Final appearance and a Kiwis jersey to his name. It wasn't a case of "second year syndrome" in 2020, but his form was a touch off his break out year.

Unfortunately, his 2021 season was spoiled by a serious neck injury - suffered in the Round 5 loss to the Panthers. It was hoped he might avoid surgery, but in the end it proved to be necessary. He was ruled out for the season - but he managed to make an early comeback on the bench in the Round 23 loss to the Sea Eagles.

Nicoll-Klokstad ended up making eight appearances for the Green Machine in 2021, six starting at fullback and two from the bench. He was sorely missed by the team - and I believe his absence was a major reason for the Raiders missing the finals.

In my player ratings for 2021, he finished with 6.1 average points per game. Taking his low number of appearances into account, that translates into a season rating of 4.5/10. That's a strong score given he appeared in only a third of the Raiders' matches. I rated him an "8" in two games during the season, the Round 4 win over the Titans and the Round 24 win against the Warriors. He was Fans' Choice Man of the Match in the Titans game, when he produced 27 runs for 270 metres, 78 post contact metres, six tackle breaks, six tackles and two try savers.

Comparing CNK's 2021 statistics with those of previous seasons is very difficult. Not only did he make only eight appearances, he only played around 25 minutes in two matches, and 60 in another. His numbers on a per game basis, however, compare remarkably well with 2020. He still finished first at the club for running metres per game - level with Jordan Rapana - and second for kick return metres. He was also amongst the top four Raiders for tackle breaks per game.

The worth of some players is underestimated, and it is only when they are not there that people realise just how good they are. The Raiders ended up trying four other players in the fullback role, with mixed results. There is no doubt that Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a great running fullback, and he gets the plaudits for that. Ball playing is not his relative strength, and some Raiders fans speculate on alternative options at No. 1, for that reason. CNK's contribution to the defence, however, is often not appreciated. We sure saw how important he is to the team in that department this year. His late season return showed he'd lost nothing while he was away. Hopefully he starts 2022 in a similar vein, and plays a full season. If he can, the Raiders' finals chances will be boosted, big time.

How did you rate Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's 2021? Do you agree with our rating? Tell us below.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2021: 4.5/10

2021 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 8
Average minutes: 62
Tries: 3
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 0
Total try involvements: 4
Total kicks: 0
Total runs: 130
All run metres: 1191
Average runs per game: 16
Average metres per game: 149
Kick return metres per game: 42
Average metres per carry: 9
Tackle breaks: 29
Offloads: 3
Line breaks: 2
Line break assists: 2
Tackles: 30
Average tackles per game: 3
1 on 1 tackles: 1
Missed tackles: 7
Average missed tackles per game: 0
Ineffective tackles: 1
Tackle efficiency: 78 per cent
Try causes: 3
Errors: 7
Penalties conceded: 1
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 in review - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Post by Billy Walker »

Like you say GE, tough to judge based on his disjointed year. Some stats aren’t all that helpful like kick returns and meters. You’d expect the FB at every club to dominate that stat just like you’d expect your 9 to have most passes per game, the question comes down to quality. I find CNK such a difficult one to judge because there is a lot to like about him, but taking off the green goggles and comparing him against starting 1’s across other teams he is very very mid field in such a key position.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Very very tough to rate him this yr. In the games he played, he was typical CNK; all effort. He is our safety net player. Defensively, there is no 1 better in the NRL at FB.

However, IMO, if you tried to describe the rest of his game, you could be forgiven for thinking that you're talking about Rapa. It's about workrate, tough carries, support play, safe under the highball (on the most part, but does get the yips from time to time) and finishing.

The ball playing is patchy at best, and unless it improves significantly in the offseason I think Ricky has a big call to make. It's going to be a really tough call to move him next yr, but Ricky has to decide if Savage is going to be our "Papenhuyzen" or "JAC/Saab".

Vlandysball is changing the game, and fast. We need to adapt, as is didn't happen this yr.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: September 20, 2021, 6:47 pm Very very tough to rate him this yr. In the games he played, he was typical CNK; all effort. He is our safety net player. Defensively, there is no 1 better in the NRL at FB.

However, IMO, if you tried to describe the rest of his game, you could be forgiven for thinking that you're talking about Rapa. It's about workrate, tough carries, support play, safe under the highball (on the most part, but does get the yips from time to time) and finishing.

The ball playing is patchy at best, and unless it improves significantly in the offseason I think Ricky has a big call to make. It's going to be a really tough call to move him next yr, but Ricky has to decide if Savage is going to be our "Papenhuyzen" or "JAC/Saab".

Vlandysball is changing the game, and fast. We need to adapt, as is didn't happen this yr.
Interesting Matt - but why does it all hang on Savage. If the answer is that the new game lends itself to quick outside backs then maybe that is what we need to find rather than trying to make what you have fit
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 20, 2021, 6:47 pm Very very tough to rate him this yr. In the games he played, he was typical CNK; all effort. He is our safety net player. Defensively, there is no 1 better in the NRL at FB.

Charnze makes line breaks (over the course of his FB career) at a rate of 1 every 3 games. And that's rounding up. The better performing FB's are making breaks at a rate of 1 per match, or even more if they are having an excellent year. Even FBs with middling running games like Hynes racked up double the linebreaks that Charnze has ever made in his best year, let alone an average one. Savage made as many linebreaks in 2 games as Charnze in 6 (ignoring bench appearances from both). FB is the one position on the park with the most opportunity to hurt the other team by running the ball and support play- we are passing that opportunity up if we play Charnze there.

Takes the pressure off the forwards, fatigue wise if the FB can beat a few tacklers occasionally on a kick return and steal 20m too. Makes a difference.

He's outstanding positionally and in contact, as good as the best in the game. But below par (the median) in the other facets of speed, ball playing and support play. He's ok under the high ball- occasional yips and tendency to sit down when he catches it bring him back to the pack.

I think Savage should be given a go. But I feel like this is going to be on of Ricky's pig-headed loyalty picks. And it's hard because he IS a good player. Just not a star FB, compared to the top 6 or so.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

That’s very good honest analysis BnM. He seems a great bloke, he gives 100% and he certainly isn’t a bad player but the deficiencies you have highlighted are very real. They won’t cost us every week, but those small deficiencies across a squad all add up and don’t equal the results we want.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon we missed CNK a great deal in 2021. The replacements in Aekins and BS are not NRL fullbacks and imo they got a go due to the weakness of back ups in the FB position in our squad. Eventually Savage was given a go and he is a scintillating ball runner who looked good until injured. Then Rapa got a chance and showed what commitment can bring. I would have rated CNK a 6. He is not the attacking weapon that would have rated him higher such as Turbo, Papenhauzen or Teddy. I put him on a par with the Penrith Fullback Edwards. Similar players imo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: September 20, 2021, 7:32 pm

Interesting Matt - but why does it all hang on Savage. If the answer is that the new game lends itself to quick outside backs then maybe that is what we need to find rather than trying to make what you have fit
BnMs post isnt too dissimilar to mine and yet you have questioned it, but CNKs position at FB hangs on what Ricky sees Savage as. IMO, and as BnM has stated, Ricky is too stubborn to try and use both is some for of wing/ FB rotation (think Turbo in Origin, or RTS when Walsh 1st came into the Warriors team). So he'll pick them in a spot an run with it. Only took 2 games from the kid to see the spark he brings. I see both playing, however, 1 will be on the wing and the other at FB.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 7:25 am

BnMs post isnt too dissimilar to mine and yet you have questioned it, but CNKs position at FB hangs on what Ricky sees Savage as. IMO, and as BnM has stated, Ricky is too stubborn to try and use both is some for of wing/ FB rotation (think Turbo in Origin, or RTS when Walsh 1st came into the Warriors team). So he'll pick them in a spot an run with it. Only took 2 games from the kid to see the spark he brings. I see both playing, however, 1 will be on the wing and the other at FB.
Does that mean I'm finally in a clique!? :thumbsup
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Wasn’t questioning your post Matt - I agree with what both you and BnM are saying. CNK is such a difficult one for me because he is an international player, above average but not elite. The bit I thinking about picks up on what you were saying about Savage. If he kicks on next year like we hope then happy days etc we don’t really need to consider the CNK situation because it solved itself. What I am wondering is whether Ricky needs to look at CNK independently of who is coming through and what might be and answer honestly if he is the 1 (or 2,5,3 or 4) we need for a premiership.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Really good player. Love his work rate, love his energy, we're a better football team with him in it. This season I think showed that.

He's a perfectly cromulent back up fullback, you can name him there and get by for a few weeks, even months... but if we want to win a premiership, I don't believe we can do that in 2022 and beyond with how the game is trending with CNK at fullback. I just think we need more, particularly this team needs more attacking flair from it's fullback position

It maybe that no one can came in to this team and be good in attack due to poor coaching and structure. I'm not dismissing those issues. But the lack of ball playing from CNK, particularly in the red zone is a major hand break on the offence. And tbh he's never even that dangerous as a ball runner, as per posts above me. He's a defensive fullback, and damn good one, but we are now in an era that i believe required your team to have one of two things:

1. Two very good creative halves so you can carry the defensive, less dynamic fullback
2. A fullback who is either an top class ball player or a ball runner without ball skills to a run a sweep

Love the guy, want him in my team, not sure where he's best suited, either Centre or Wing... but we need to know if Savage can do the things we need him, or whether we need to recruit for 2023, and so Savage simply HAS to be the starting fullback in 2022 imo. I'd like to see Savage, HSS, Timoko, CNK and Rapana line up as our back 5 next year myself. The only thing im unsure of is who should play where between HSS and CNK
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:55 am

Wasn’t questioning your post Matt - I agree with what both you and BnM are saying. CNK is such a difficult one for me because he is an international player, above average but not elite. The bit I thinking about picks up on what you were saying about Savage. If he kicks on next year like we hope then happy days etc we don’t really need to consider the CNK situation because it solved itself. What I am wondering is whether Ricky needs to look at CNK independently of who is coming through and what might be and answer honestly if he is the 1 (or 2,5,3 or 4) we need for a premiership.
OK, sorry. Was the phrasing the of the question/ statement. IMO, wing is CNKs future at this club, or at least wing in attack. As i think Savages speed needs to be a big part of our attack moving forward, and that "try assist" (wasnt the last pass, so Starlo got the credit) in the Sharks game is why.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:34 am Really good player. Love his work rate, love his energy, we're a better football team with him in it. This season I think showed that.

He's a perfectly cromulent back up fullback, you can name him there and get by for a few weeks, even months... but if we want to win a premiership, I don't believe we can do that in 2022 and beyond with how the game is trending with CNK at fullback. I just think we need more, particularly this team needs more attacking flair from it's fullback position

It maybe that no one can came in to this team and be good in attack due to poor coaching and structure. I'm not dismissing those issues. But the lack of ball playing from CNK, particularly in the red zone is a major hand break on the offence. And tbh he's never even that dangerous as a ball runner, as per posts above me. He's a defensive fullback, and damn good one, but we are now in an era that i believe required your team to have one of two things:

1. Two very good creative halves so you can carry the defensive, less dynamic fullback
2. A fullback who is either an top class ball player or a ball runner without ball skills to a run a sweep

Love the guy, want him in my team, not sure where he's best suited, either Centre or Wing... but we need to know if Savage can do the things we need him, or whether we need to recruit for 2023, and so Savage simply HAS to be the starting fullback in 2022 imo. I'd like to see Savage, HSS, Timoko, CNK and Rapana line up as our back 5 next year myself. The only thing im unsure of is who should play where between HSS and CNK
I feel Ricky has 3 Qs...
1. Savage vs CNK - we all know who we would pick, but its Ricky, so who knows?!?
2. The 'loser' of the above, vs HSS - IMO, Id pick CNK here. Allows for the wing/FB defensive change up IF Ricky can allow that to work/ if they wanna do it.
3. HSS vs CNK IF the above hasnt solved that already - I would have picked HSS to start this yr. I was super impressed with him on the wing, but left centre is his go IMO.

PS. Sammy or Rapa cant be our 1st choice goal kicker next yr.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m not wanting to become the villain here, but it feels like there is a shared view that CNK is a better than average fullback but not ticking all the boxes as someone we need in a future premiership side. It is after this point that we go down the path of hoping Savage might provide more and ponder how we can squeeze CNK in somewhere else. This is where I feel successful clubs are perhaps a bit more hard nosed and cold about things. If CNK isn’t the answer at fullback back then regardless of whether Savage kicks on or is injured we need to find a fullback with pace and a passing game. The scenarios that Matt posted about CNK v other wingers - I’m not sure I’m going CNK. Doubt we can afford him as a back up player. Like I say really tough call but I wonder if sometimes you need to move very good players on if you need more in a position.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

With Savage (very) briefly showing his wares, 2022 will be an interesting season for CNK, and probably more so for Stuart, in designing the way we play moving forward.

CNK brings a level of toughness, reliability and attitude that was noticeably lacking for much of this season.

Unlike many, I think we can absolutely be competitive with CNK at fullback - as long as we have two competent halves dictating the play on both sides of the field. Without a decent halfback, CNKs attacking limitations are highlighted. That doesn't make him a poor fullback, it just highlights our lack of skill in the 7 jumper. In saying that, I'm on board with whatever way we can most effectively include CNK and Savage in the line-up.

I also think big games are still won on the back of defence, irrespective of how many times good teams blow **** teams away by 40 points in a game of touch football.

Either way, we are a much better team with him in it than we are without him. Our drop in performance when he was out injured was entirely unsurprising to me.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk