Jarrod Croker hoping for Round 1 return from stem cell procedure

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker eyes career-saving, stem-cell surgery

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 9, 2021, 3:58 pm Are you guys calling Billy the Taliban?
Of course not, that's ridiculous
We don't always agree or see the world the same way but i would never do something that insulting, not even to the Taliban.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker eyes career-saving, stem-cell surgery

Post by Northern Raider »

Just logged into this thread. Billy laying into Croker again I take it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2021, 4:25 pm Just logged into this thread. Billy laying into Croker again I take it.
He really is a decisive character - Botman that is not Croker- Croker is good, we all love the leader…..
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: September 9, 2021, 2:08 pm The Afghan Army could've used Botman to defend Afghanistan the way he defends Croker and Teflon Don Jr tbh
Google Fanboy and there is a picture of Botman in green pyjamas wearing white headgear. He does look kind of cute….
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: September 9, 2021, 4:51 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 9, 2021, 4:25 pm Just logged into this thread. Billy laying into Croker again I take it.
He really is a decisive character - Botman that is not Croker- Croker is good, we all love the leader…..
Yeah, not sure what you mean. Happy to leave it there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Maybe divisive?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: September 9, 2021, 5:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Maybe divisive?
Yeah that’s it! - not sure if that’s spell check, dyslexia or Covid.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote:
Maybe divisive?
I thought it was a dig at Croker's decision making in defence :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 9, 2021, 6:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
Maybe divisive?
I thought it was a dig at Croker's decision making in defence :lol:
Perhaps on some Freudian level it was :lol:

Anyway - I hope he does get the knee fixed and the shoulders sorted. I can’t see him going around again but he has a long life outside of footy where he will no doubt need pain free mobility
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Gents,
You are making me put my Admin hat on. While I don't mind a hearty debate and disagreement, @Botman and @Billy Walker, via help from @afgtnk, you are flirting the line by use of the Afghani situation as a metaphor. Please move onto a different more appropriate line of thought provoking word play.
Cheers
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep - apologies Matt. Noted and agree
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I hope Jarrod Croker makes the best decision for his long term health. I don't know of any of the possible side effects of this type of medical treatment. I understand them to be minimal. He will likely get more than one opinion on this treatment. If it works and he can begin to move without pain then he can see how it goes with running and then contact. He has a contract so there is no immediate financial or other pressure on him, other than to try to get the knee right. I wish him well with both his health and the decisions he has to make.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker aims to be back before New Year after stem cell procedure for chronic knee injury

The Canberra Times reports that Jarrod Croker had surgery - a stem cell procedure to help improve his chronic knee injury - on Wednesday and will spend the next month recovering before he can start to do some work on the bike and in the pool at the 4-6 week mark. After 6-8 weeks he should be able to use the anti-gravity machine to begin running, with the plan to be back in full training by the New Year.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Jarrod Croker has stem-cell surgery for chronic knee problem

Post by BadnMean »

Sorry Toots, I think our other 2 centre options are better. 3 if you count CNK.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

The nightmare continues
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: October 8, 2021, 6:36 pm The nightmare continues
You saying this won’t be the year he cracks origin?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I think I would rather try HSS and Timoko are our starting centres. No disrespect to a great club servant but you need to make tough decisions
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Was one of the worst centres, if not the worst centre, in the comp this year. Not FG standard anymore. If he wants Raiders fans to remember him through missing sitter tries like the one against Penrith, and Patrick Herbert easily palming him off to make him look like a park footballer, then that's fine, continue playing. He does have a 3 year contract with us.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:51 pm Was one of the worst centres, if not the worst centre, in the comp last year. Not FG standard anymore. If he wants Raiders fans to remember him through missing sitter tries like the one against Penrith, and Patrick Herbert easily palming him off to make him look like a park footballer, then that's fine, continue playing. He does have a 3 year contract with us.
He was never physically great so any decline in his body is going to be exacerbated. He should retire and I am sure we could give him a Sam Burgess like job
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Then again, some people might like to show some respect to a club legend in his hour of need.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 11:06 pm Then again, some people might like to show some respect to a club legend in his hour of need.
I think he has been a very good player for the Raiders so I don’t want to disrespect him but you also don’t want to see such a good servant become a liability. If he returns to his form from a few years ago then I’ll be very happy
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 11:06 pm Then again, some people might like to show some respect to a club legend in his hour of need.
I don't know what to say, GE. I thought my comments were pretty accurate. They were not said in jest or an attempt to mock him. If you think my comments were disrespectful, then happy to delete.
Club legend, or not, everyone has their shelf life and need to give it away some time. Inglis did when he thought he couldn't perform to his previous levels. Cameron Smith and Benji could've played on but decided not to. I think Croker has reached that point in his career.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

It is possible that the decline in his form was related to his physical condition. I've been a fan for much of his career but like others thought he struggled this year. I'm sure I speak for all when I say that I'd love to see him return to his best form next year. However, if that isn't possible, I am concerned that Croker can become a liability to the extent that as team captain he'd probably expect a decent amount of support and opportunity to retain his place in the side, despite the fact that he may not be in our top 17 players. managing this can be complicated and can cause problems as it did this year when senior players were benched.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It has been reported on Fox League that Jarrod has been told that next year form will dictate if he’s selected in the side. It’s said in the article that he knows that he must be running at his best, given he’s playing at centre, and defending in that position is hard enough. It’s pretty clear from the quotes that he’s thought about the worst outcome.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

greeneyed wrote: October 9, 2021, 5:55 am It has been reported on Fox League that Jarrod has been told that next year form will dictate if he’s selected in the side.
And pigs fly.

We know Ricky has his favourites and is prone to selecting players based on loyalty. Don't see how an off season changes that.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hardly his hour of need when he's getting paid about $10,000 a week for the next three years :roflmao

I do hope the bionic knee works and Jarrod scores 40 tries next year.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on October 9, 2021, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Honestly, the chances of this surgery working are slim at best. So, given what we have seen from him the the last 2 yrs, it's unlikely he makes it back. His body is failing him. It happens in sport, all the time. It's sad, but that's life.

The worry is, I can totally see Ricky trying to limp him through next season. I hope I'm wrong.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: October 9, 2021, 8:19 am Honestly, the chances of this surgery working are slim at best. So, given what we have seen from him the the last 2 yrs, it's unlikely he makes it back. His body is failing him. It happens in sport, all the time. It's sad, but that's life.

The worry is, I can totally see Ricky trying to limp him through next season. I hope I'm wrong.
Really depends if "form determines his selection" means Toots gets the walk up start at start of the season again and we have to watch him limp along for 5-6 games before Ricky pulls the plug or if it means the young blokes are killing him in all the pre-season testing and are the incumbents so it's a long road back Jarrod...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ricky Stuart is a more broadly considered to be a true legend of the club, a bloke who has played in premiership teams, and excelled for NSW and the kangaroos. Nobody bats an eyelid when his decision making or leadership is questioned, but if someone suggests Jarrod might be past his used by date you melt down.

I wouldn’t have thought anyone at this club past or present is beyond scrutiny and I wouldn’t have thought that anyone has a monopoly on declaring who they feel is a “legend” and somehow beyond question.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: October 9, 2021, 9:43 am
Ricky Stuart is a more broadly considered to be a true legend of the club, a bloke who has played in premiership teams, and excelled for NSW and the kangaroos. Nobody bats an eyelid when his decision making or leadership is questioned, but if someone suggests Jarrod might be past his used by date you melt down.

I wouldn’t have thought anyone at this club past or present is beyond scrutiny and I wouldn’t have thought that anyone has a monopoly on declaring who they feel is a “legend” and somehow beyond question.
I don’t melt down. I’m pointing out that posts like these are disrespectful and the player doesn’t deserve it.
Billy Walker wrote: October 8, 2021, 7:38 pm
sprintman wrote: October 8, 2021, 6:36 pm The nightmare continues
You saying this won’t be the year he cracks origin?
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

9 games until 300 and 81 points to be outright 2nd highest point scorer?????
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I knew Stuart would have given Croker every opportunity to prove his fitness this season.

I'd be gobsmacked if Toots is given the same latitude next season though.

With Soliola James and Lui either retired or moved on my gut tells me that the ultimatum about Crocker's fitness has come from the coach.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Crocker!
It’s back, baby
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

9 games baby. Your knee has got to scrape you through 9 even if it's from the bench.