Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Re: Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

Post by Andymachine »

BadnMean wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:15 am
Timbo wrote: September 9, 2021, 9:58 am Another point on this;

If we want a veteran campaigner in the middle, why are we not just retaining Ryan James?
It might be a 150/200k price difference.
I reckon that would be well worth it for the difference in performance. We must have heaps of room in the salary cap - Scott, WIlliams, even some of Bateman's money would have to still be there. It would be stupid of them to penny-pinch between a 30yo James and a 35yo Soliola.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

If we want a veteran campaigner in the middle, why are we not just retaining Ryan James?
or more... Soliola would be getting minimum wage at best if he were to get a one year extension, you'd imagine.

You'd hope the deal would be outside of top 30 as others have suggested. But I think he's the guy that sets the standard at training and you need one of those in your squad. You could make a case for him on minimum wage in that role if you only used him as an absolute last resort.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:21 am

or more... Soliola would be getting minimum wage at best if he were to get a one year extension, you'd imagine.

You'd hope the deal would be outside of top 30 as others have suggested. But I think he's the guy that sets the standard at training and you need one of those in your squad. You could make a case for him on minimum wage in that role if you only used him as an absolute last resort.
Hmm. As a Raiders fan I find this scenario incredibly hard to imagine haha. For minimum wage he could just be offered an off field gig. I'd be thinking over 200k if he goes around again, there has to be a reason we still don't seem to be flush with funds.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Andymachine wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:20 am

I reckon that would be well worth it for the difference in performance. We must have heaps of room in the salary cap - Scott, WIlliams, even some of Bateman's money would have to still be there. It would be stupid of them to penny-pinch between a 30yo James and a 35yo Soliola.
What if the additional $400k that we would free up by releasing James is the difference that would allow us to sign say a Kikau that would put us straight back in the picture (provided we sort out our halfback issue)?
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:21 am or more... Soliola would be getting minimum wage at best if he were to get a one year extension, you'd imagine.

You would hope so but I can't see the Raiders brains trust paying Soliola like he was an 18yo rookie, given his standing in the squad.
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:24 am What if the additional $400k that we would free up by releasing James is the difference that would allow us to sign say a Kikau that would put us straight back in the picture (provided we sort out our halfback issue)?
If that's their plan then that would be extremely encouraging that they still have some ambition. The complete lack of activity in the player market, combined with a horror season, combined with some recent re-signings (and rumoured re-signings - Soliola) have got me feeling pretty pessimistic. From the outside it looks as though the club hasn't even tried to sign anyone for next year!

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Andymachine wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:38 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:21 am or more... Soliola would be getting minimum wage at best if he were to get a one year extension, you'd imagine.

You would hope so but I can't see the Raiders brains trust paying Soliola like he was an 18yo rookie, given his standing in the squad.
Raiders_Pat wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:24 am What if the additional $400k that we would free up by releasing James is the difference that would allow us to sign say a Kikau that would put us straight back in the picture (provided we sort out our halfback issue)?
If that's their plan then that would be extremely encouraging that they still have some ambition. The complete lack of activity in the player market, combined with a horror season, combined with some recent re-signings (and rumoured re-signings - Soliola) have got me feeling pretty pessimistic. From the outside it looks as though the club hasn't even tried to sign anyone for next year!
a forward pack consisting of:

8. Papa
9. Starling
10. Tapine
11. Kakau
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Hodgson
15. Hudson Young
16. Sutton
17. Guler/Horse/Mooney/Sia

Would be pretty strong in my opinion..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

A (checks Google) tredecuple post. Don't think I've ever seen that before online

Congrats
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: September 9, 2021, 3:21 pm A (checks Google) tredecuple post. Don't think I've ever seen that before online

Congrats
Fixed :lol:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely Soliola doesn’t want to get the vast majority of his fans offside by going 2 seasons too long.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: September 11, 2021, 9:31 am Surely Soliola doesn’t want to get the vast majority of his fans offside by going 2 seasons too long.
I don’t think fans really realise how unimportant they are for players making decisions about their careers
Most players don’t give the faintest of **** about what fans think of their contract or career decisions
And nor should they

If he wants to go around again and the club is willing to pay him to do it, all power to Sia
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Botman wrote: September 11, 2021, 10:03 am
BJ wrote: September 11, 2021, 9:31 am Surely Soliola doesn’t want to get the vast majority of his fans offside by going 2 seasons too long.
I don’t think fans really realise how unimportant they are for players making decisions about their careers
Most players don’t give the faintest of **** about what fans think of their contract or career decisions
And nor should they

If he wants to go around again and the club is willing to pay him to do it, all power to Sia
I think most fans, like general punters are clueless with the actual decisions needed to be made. Sia is popular with the general fan base and would be applauded for going around again. Look at the reception Croker still gets, who does deserve respect, but is cheered when he runs out. Hell, there was traction on a facebook post I saw yesterday fans suggesting we should be forgiving and snap up Josh Dugan :lol: :lol: :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think you’ll find Josh Dugan quit because I told him he should.

This time.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Gotta give him a little bit of credit to squeeze nearly 4 million dollars out of the Sharks when he was clearly done... a club like the Dragons didn't want him but the Sharks throw that much at him, what the hell were they thinking?
Shoving it in your face since 2017