Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

Post by greeneyed »

Soliola to re-sign with Raiders

He hasn’t formally announced it and nor has his club. Yet it is understood Iosia Soliola will be running around for Canberra Raiders again in 2022. “There’s nothing official from the club yet,” a source said. “But watch this space - looks like he’ll be going around again.”

Read more: https://themilk.substack.com/p/soliola- ... th-raiders

Not sure how reliable the source is, but Matt Cleary is a reputable freelance journalist who has written for the SMH, RLW, Big League, Inside Sport and NRL.com amongst other publications. This comes from his new online venture... big early test of credibility. He does say he's "going all Moley" on Twitter...

Suspect Sia will retire, and take up an off field role, as previously foreshadowed... and it will probably be best for all concerned.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

Post by Azza »

****, do we ever learn?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Jobs for the boys.

Family farm is as fertile as ever!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

this is becoming ridiculous...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Oh well that confirms it. Ricky is in damage control trying to win back the dressing room and maintain any "culture" he has left
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Speechless.

I am without speech.

How many absolute passengers does Ricky think we can carry in a 30 man squad?

Pretty much the only guy above 30 who deserves to be fed is Rapana, the rest need to be moved on as soon as their contract is up, if not earlier.

Instead we have the likes of Whitehead, Croker, Sia and Williams all given generous extensions despite all showing clear signs of decline.

Either Ricky's judgment is compromised or he is starting the resemble the mad king in a beleaguered city trying to cling on to power.
Up The Milk
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yep, if true, Ricky has lost the plot.

Ahh wonderful, another year of mediocrity coming right up.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I mean it's fine, if its a minimum wage contract and he's basically the very last man on the roster who'd get pick and is essentially a paid culture guy... i actually dont mind that if that was the case. I think there is actual value in having someone like Sia on the roster, working with the NSW Cup guys, teaching them good habits and if you're entire forward pack got killed a bus crash, you'd at least trust him to go out in the NRL and try his guts out and work hard... if that's the role, cool. I dont think we have enough young kids to just send everyone packing and fill it with the next gen right now, especially with some of the departures we might see... So yeah, if this is 1 year, 110k and basically captaining and living with in NSW Cup guys and being an absolute last resort, i'd be ok with that

But we know it's not. We know somehow this guy is going to end up playing 10-15 games for us and he'll not be any more up for impactful minutes in a football game next year as he is now
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I love Sia, but he’s played way below NRL level all season.

His last game against Roosters was very poor.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

No no no no NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!

This is absolutely obscene! He's so far past it he's almost circled back round to being at the beginning again!

I am absolutely gobsmacked that anyone would entertain this. This is jobs for the boys at its absolute finest.

I've already decided to not renew my membership for next season; this would dampen my enthusiasm for watching it altogether.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:39 pm I mean it's fine, if its a minimum wage contract and he's basically the very last man on the roster who'd get pick and is essentially a paid culture guy... i actually dont mind that if that was the case. I think there is actual value in having someone like Sia on the roster, working with the NSW Cup guys, teaching them good habits and if you're entire forward pack got killed a bus crash, you'd at least trust him to go out in the NRL and try his guts out and work hard... if that's the role, cool. I dont think we have enough young kids to just send everyone packing and fill it with the next gen right now, especially with some of the departures we might see... So yeah, if this is 1 year, 110k and basically captaining and living with in NSW Cup guys and being an absolute last resort, i'd be ok with that

But we know it's not. We know somehow this guy is going to end up playing 10-15 games for us and he'll not be any more up for impactful minutes in a football game next year as he is now
This pretty much sums it up for me
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:39 pm I mean it's fine, if its a minimum wage contract and he's basically the very last man on the roster who'd get pick and is essentially a paid culture guy... i actually dont mind that if that was the case. I think there is actual value in having someone like Sia on the roster, working with the NSW Cup guys, teaching them good habits and if you're entire forward pack got killed a bus crash, you'd at least trust him to go out in the NRL and try his guts out and work hard... if that's the role, cool. I dont think we have enough young kids to just send everyone packing and fill it with the next gen right now, especially with some of the departures we might see... So yeah, if this is 1 year, 110k and basically captaining and living with in NSW Cup guys and being an absolute last resort, i'd be ok with that

I wouldn’t be opposed to a NSW Cup contract. Or he’d do well for a Canberra Raiders Cup team. Not top 30 though.

I certainly expect he'll retire from the NRL.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

In other news Darren Porter is considering a comeback.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I’m glad we gave him ‘one last game’ in a sudden death eliminator to thank him for his service where he dropped the ball with his first touch and basically maintained that level for the rest of the game.

Glad the senior players were able to get him one last game. I wonder whose idea one last contract was?

We’re going to run last next year. We’re going to have Sam Williams and Jarrod Croker and Sia Soliola and Elliot Whitehead and all of the other plodders in the world in starting roles but it doesn’t matter if our players are old and past it and our coaches game plan isn’t fit for purpose what matters is they’re all good blokes and they’re doing their best and they like playing with each other.

That’s all that matters. Results be damned.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If he's going to be leading the reserves team and teaching the developing forwards down there the ropes - I can live with it. He'd be a solid choice.

If Sia goes around in FG again next year then as others say, a symptom of a club that has really lost its way.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

This has to be a joke! His day has been and gone..
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No thanks.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Hahahahahahahaha how good. I actually had a dream last night where the got announced and Tapine wife was abusing "the haters".

(2nd Covid vaccine dreams)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

There used to be a band in the mid 80s that I loved called Mental As Anything. This describes Ricky's recruitment and retention policy.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

You wouldn’t mind at all if we weren’t already carrying so many other on-field passengers in the Top 30 out of club loyalty and nostalgia
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Toviii wrote: September 7, 2021, 5:24 pm You wouldn’t mind at all if we weren’t already carrying so many other on-field passengers in the Top 30 out of club loyalty and nostalgia
Exactly this. If we clear out Croker and Hodgson before next season kicks off, I'll give this one a pass.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Jesus Christ you can’t make this **** up…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

You can run the water and still be the “culture guy”…

This is nonsense…

Actually, it’s symptomatic of the Club right now…

We parade useless player resignings rather than go to market and sign what we need…

Can’t wait for the coaches contract extension sometime around December when nobody is looking..
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

GreenMachine wrote: September 7, 2021, 6:05 pm

You can run the water and still be the “culture guy”…

This is nonsense…

Actually, it’s symptomatic of the Club right now…

We parade useless player resignings rather than go to market and sign what we need…

Can’t wait for the coaches contract extension sometime around December when nobody is looking..
He should be signed on in a role which involves communities engagement and junior development (in a culture role).

No one is saying cut him off the payroll. He shouldn’t be in a playing role. He hasn’t looked like a first grader all season and he’s just getting worse.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: September 7, 2021, 4:21 pm If he's going to be leading the reserves team and teaching the developing forwards down there the ropes - I can live with it. He'd be a solid choice.

If Sia goes around in FG again next year then as others say, a symptom of a club that has really lost its way.
Agree. Probably no better person than Sia for that role. Basically captain of NSW Cup team. Really shouldn't be part of the 1st grade squad through. He was so far off the pace at NRL level this year it was almost sad to see.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Why?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:09 pmWhy?
Where?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting. I was told at the start of the season by old mate that this wasn't an old team and there was nothing to worry about.

Funny how things play out.

For the record, you can wear having one or two veterans in your squad for their experience if they aren't part of your top 17 plans. If Soliola is on reggies money and wants to nurture young players coming through reserve grade I'm OK with it. If it means we can't sign a decent halfback, 5/8 or second rower to replace Whitehead then that's a different story.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:12 pm
Where?
Who?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:23 pm
Where?
Who?
When?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Coastalraider wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:33 pm
Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:23 pm
Where?
Who?
When?
What?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sia is 35. It is time. I have enjoyed watching him play for the Raiders. I like what he brings away from the footy field. The current Rugby League rules don't help him one iota. Time to call finish on playing NRL.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Sia isnt in our best 17 (or best 20) as the game has passed him by. If he is content with playing a couple of games well down the depth chart next year that is fine but jeez we are in for a rough year again in 2022 if we think we can pick Sia each week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have posted elsewhere that The CT appears to have been told there are four spots to fill for 2022 at present. I count three, assuming the retirement of Soliola and the departure of Havili and Lui. I can get to four if Ryan James departs. I would interpret that as meaning Soliola is highly likely retiring and if he plays NSW Cup, say, it wouldn't be a top 30 deal.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Caleb Aekins is listed as leaving on zero tackle.
On the NRL site too:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/202 ... 2/#raiders