Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Soliola to go around again with Raiders?

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I really like Sia and he should have a role with our club going forward. The players like him as well. But the role with our club isn't as a player in the NRL squad. We need every dollar of our salary cap to spend on new blood. I just read Ethan Bullemor of Brisbane is being chased by Manly and St George. He is the type of player that we should be chasing - young, fast, relatively cheap, not offering another deal for Sia.

When you think about it, the money that we are spending on sub-par non-NRL standard players like Williams, Frawley, Caleb Aekins, perhaps Corey Allan in the future, and then players we never play like Ryan James all add up to a good halfback salary.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've said it elsewhere but if you're right GE there won't be much turnover in the squad, which is a scary proposition for 2022 - it looks like Ricky is playing the long game and relying on that good batch of juniors coming through. Many on here, myself included, have called him a stubborn bastard, unwilling to change. But I guess another way to look at it is he is changing, in that he is going the junior development pathway like the Panthers have done, instead of recruiting poms. We went pretty close but maybe this is a new approach?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Another point I want to make (and I don't know where to put this comment) is that our NSW Cup team ran 7th (out of 11th) this year. It's not like we have very good reserves in our ranks. If Frawley and Schneider could not match it with the reserves in other teams then don't expect them to match it in FG.
I don't know how many games Sammy played in NSW Cup this year.

I am very worried about next year.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

gergreg wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:07 pm I've said it elsewhere but if you're right GE there won't be much turnover in the squad, which is a scary proposition for 2022 - it looks like Ricky is playing the long game and relying on that good batch of juniors coming through. Many on here, myself included, have called him a stubborn bastard, unwilling to change. But I guess another way to look at it is he is changing, in that he is going the junior development pathway like the Panthers have done, instead of recruiting poms. We went pretty close but maybe this is a new approach?
And the senior players to guide them through... it would make sense

I'm not really sure about the junior pathway though. They have to love the area, right? As the Panthers boys do, "for the area". Otherwise they'll just be the next Milf and co, on the next train out
Last edited by Canberra Milk on September 7, 2021, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: September 7, 2021, 9:45 pm Caleb Aekins is listed as leaving on zero tackle.
On the NRL site too:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/202 ... 2/#raiders
That’s been around for quite a while… did factor that in too. But I forgot to take out Curtis Scott, who’s still incorrectly on the NRL.com list. So four is correct and five if James goes. That still implies Sia Soliola would be retiring.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think the numbers are off by 1 then. Soliola, Lui, Havili, James, Aekins.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:18 pm I think the numbers are off by 1 then. Soliola, Lui, Havili, James, Aekins.
See my adjusted post. I forgot to take out Curtis Scott.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Surprised Canberra Milk cut the sponsorship because this club will have more culture than yogurt! Won’t have an ounce of competitive talent but geez we have some true raiders men giving 110% to fall short each week. It will be hard to tell whether it is the effort or the results that brings that tear to your eye.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

I had to check my calendar and see if it is April 1st.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:07 pm I've said it elsewhere but if you're right GE there won't be much turnover in the squad, which is a scary proposition for 2022 - it looks like Ricky is playing the long game and relying on that good batch of juniors coming through. Many on here, myself included, have called him a stubborn bastard, unwilling to change. But I guess another way to look at it is he is changing, in that he is going the junior development pathway like the Panthers have done, instead of recruiting poms. We went pretty close but maybe this is a new approach?
And the senior players to guide them through... it would make sense

I'm not really sure about the junior pathway though. They have to love the area, right? As the Panthers boys do, "for the area". Otherwise they'll just be the next Milf and co, on the next train out
Yeah agree on both. Although it is a gamble any team makes with developing young blokes from interstate. And like Billy eluded to above you hope the culture is enough for the players to want to stay. But... it's hard to build a culture with young guys when you're losing ... kind of what the **** Broncos have experienced the past few years.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2021, 9:30 pm Have posted elsewhere that The CT appears to have been told there are four spots to fill for 2022 at present. I count three, assuming the retirement of Soliola and the departure of Havili and Lui. I can get to four if Ryan James departs. I would interpret that as meaning Soliola is highly likely retiring and if he plays NSW Cup, say, it wouldn't be a top 30 deal.
If it's outside of top 30, great - I'm all for it and hope we get it done. Odd way to report it though if so...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:03 pm I really like Sia and he should have a role with our club going forward. The players like him as well. But the role with our club isn't as a player in the NRL squad. We need every dollar of our salary cap to spend on new blood. I just read Ethan Bullemor of Brisbane is being chased by Manly and St George. He is the type of player that we should be chasing - young, fast, relatively cheap, not offering another deal for Sia.

When you think about it, the money that we are spending on sub-par non-NRL standard players like Williams, Frawley, Caleb Aekins, perhaps Corey Allan in the future, and then players we never play like Ryan James all add up to a good halfback salary.
I've tossed up Bullemor's name a couple times in the past, he would be a good pick up. We nearly got him here before but he ended up in Brisbane.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Years ago Phil Gould called him the most stubborn man he'd ever met. I guess that was true.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:45 pm
Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:39 pm I mean it's fine, if its a minimum wage contract and he's basically the very last man on the roster who'd get pick and is essentially a paid culture guy... i actually dont mind that if that was the case. I think there is actual value in having someone like Sia on the roster, working with the NSW Cup guys, teaching them good habits and if you're entire forward pack got killed a bus crash, you'd at least trust him to go out in the NRL and try his guts out and work hard... if that's the role, cool. I dont think we have enough young kids to just send everyone packing and fill it with the next gen right now, especially with some of the departures we might see... So yeah, if this is 1 year, 110k and basically captaining and living with in NSW Cup guys and being an absolute last resort, i'd be ok with that

But we know it's not. We know somehow this guy is going to end up playing 10-15 games for us and he'll not be any more up for impactful minutes in a football game next year as he is now
I wouldn’t be opposed to a NSW Cup contract. Or he’d do well for a Canberra Raiders Cup team. Not top 30 though.

I certainly expect he'll retire from the NRL.
I'll subscribe to both news letters, thanks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 7, 2021, 8:47 pm
Coastalraider wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:33 pm
Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:12 pm
gergreg wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:09 pmWhy?
Where?
Who?
When?
What?
He's the bloke on 1st, right?!?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 8, 2021, 12:28 am
Years ago Phil Gould called him the most stubborn man he'd ever met. I guess that was true.
Most pig-head and ungrateful man he'd ever met. What a great read: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13656.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Finchy wrote: September 8, 2021, 11:16 am
Most pig-head and ungrateful man he'd ever met. What a great read: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13656.
That is amazing
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Jeesh he didn't miss there.

I wonder how they patched things up noting that they as of 2021 they are friends enough to go out on dinner dates?
Up The Milk
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 8, 2021, 12:19 pm Jeesh he didn't miss there.

I wonder how they patched things up noting that they as of 2021 they are friends enough to go out on dinner dates?
Phil Gould, Ricky Stuart settle feud over secret lunch

ONE of rugby league's greatest feuds appears to be dead and buried with Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart sharing a long lunch this week.

Less than a month after the pair traded poisonous words in these very pages, they were spotted breaking bread at the Jade Lotus restaurant in Sylvania on Tuesday along with Stuart's manager, John Fordham.

"It was a very worthwhile exercise for the both of them - and the game," Fordham told The Daily Telegraph.

Fordham gently asked Gould if he would meet with his former coaching comrade at the Roosters following a harrowing day at Channel 9's studios alongside Matt and Trish Johns. Gould advised the couple every step of the way through that day, including their difficult interview on A Current Affair.

Gould and Stuart agreed to meet - and traded old war stories, including their time during Origin in the 1990s when Gould was coach and Stuart halfback.

"I made overtures to Gus after his complete performance behind the scenes with Matt and Trish Johns," said Fordham, who famously got Alan Jones and John Laws talking again.

It says much about both men that they were big enough to bury the hatchet, although it is hard to forget the stinging sprays both have given each other in recent years after Stuart left the Roosters by mutual agreement to join the Sharks.

Read more: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/ ... a6c4d79f92
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

That is a very interesting read!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Nothing's changed from Gould's article over 10 years ago. Ricky needs an attacking coach to help him.

It's all downhill from here unless he is honest with himself and I don't see success coming in the next 2 years
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 8, 2021, 2:10 pm Nothing's changed from Gould's article over 10 years ago. Ricky needs an attacking coach to help him.

It's all downhill from here unless he is honest with himself and I don't see success coming in the next 2 years
Yep. After reading that article, it's clear to me that we need an attacking coach. I already thought that previously but now it's cemented in place.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Whilst Ricky is certainly pig headed, Phil Gould has consistently proved to be the most personal agenda focused NRL powerbroker.

Gould wants one style of play, administration or rule changes when he’s involved with one club, then he switches to the opposite view when he becomes involved in another club.

Roosters he wanted extra salary cap exemptions because of the high cost of living around Bondi, then he goes to Panthers and instead he wants exemptions for junior development.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BJ wrote: September 8, 2021, 3:01 pm Whilst Ricky is certainly pig headed, Phil Gould has consistently proved to be the most personal agenda focused NRL powerbroker.

Gould wants one style of play, administration or rule changes when he’s involved with one club, then he switches to the opposite view when he becomes involved in another club.

Roosters he wanted extra salary cap exemptions because of the high cost of living around Bondi, then he goes to Panthers and instead he wants exemptions for junior development.
While I agree with your first sentence, isn't it Gould's job to argue for things like cap exemptions for the club he's representing? I don't see how that's a show of character... more just him doing his job.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Whilst Ricky is certainly pig headed, Phil Gould has consistently proved to be the most personal agenda focused NRL powerbroker.

It's also interesting and not directing this comment at you, that a huge amount of posters here and more widely criticise Gould for his agendas until his agenda or comments align with their own opinions.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:Whilst Ricky is certainly pig headed, Phil Gould has consistently proved to be the most personal agenda focused NRL powerbroker.

It's also interesting and not directing this comment at you, that a huge amount of posters here and more widely criticise Gould for his agendas until his agenda or comments align with their own opinions.
I guess the issue I have with Gould is that he isn’t up front with his agenda’s. He says it’s what the game needs, when in reality it’s what benefits him that he’s pushing.

It’s also the chopping and changing his argument to suit whatever bandwagon he’s on this month. He’s also got a record of completely making up stuff to fit a narrative.

Ricky is pigheaded, Gould is a snake.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Every single person who has an interest in rugby league has an agenda. From us mug punters through to CEO's and administrators. It's been holding the game back for a long time.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Reading that Gould piece, it seems blatantly obvious to me that zero has changed with Rick’s philosophy around coaching. It’s just we are the unfortunate sods stuck with him these days rather than the Sharks or Roosters…
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:Every single person who has an interest in rugby league has an agenda. From us mug punters through to CEO's and administrators. It's been holding the game back for a long time.
You can’t disagree with that.

The NRL Commission (despite their initial promises) didn’t fix the Clubland bosses who continue to think about their own little world rather than the good of the game overall.
LozzaG
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by LozzaG »

Not only is this not a smart footballing move but Sia didn’t get flu jab last year so unlikely to get covid vax, which is realistically going to be mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:36 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 7, 2021, 7:12 pm
Where?
Who?
When?
What?
Sorry Matt, "What's" on second. "Who's" on First.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: September 8, 2021, 8:45 pm
Matt wrote: September 8, 2021, 6:36 am
Who?
When?
What?
Sorry Matt, "What's" on second. "Who's" on First.
:clap:
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 8, 2021, 12:05 pm
Finchy wrote: September 8, 2021, 11:16 am
That is amazing
Damn, we really are up said creek without the required rowing implement
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Another point on this;

If we want a veteran campaigner in the middle, why are we not just retaining Ryan James?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Timbo wrote: September 9, 2021, 9:58 am Another point on this;

If we want a veteran campaigner in the middle, why are we not just retaining Ryan James?
It might be a 150/200k price difference.