2021 Season reviews

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

2021 Season reviews

Post by greeneyed »

How single decision derailed Canberra's entire 2021 season

The Raiders' demise in 2021 can be traced squarely back to one incident - the sacking of star English halfback George Williams.

Williams told the club he wanted to go home at the end of the year - but was sent packing immediately early in the season.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-c ... 4de640c594
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2021 Season reviews

Post by BadnMean »

Mystifying how we cleared him off the books early and then just sat on our hands and watched the players who might have added to the team sign elsehwere - Reynolds, Johnson, Hynes and the rest.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Not sure I can agree with everything in that article - “arguably the biggest flops in 2021”, honestly is there really an argument here? Also “star fullback” CNK…. Let’s just say regular fullback. But beyond those 2 things the article was 100% accurate!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Billy Walker wrote: September 6, 2021, 7:51 pm Not sure I can agree with everything in that article - “arguably the biggest flops in 2021”, honestly is there really an argument here? Also “star fullback” CNK…. Let’s just say regular fullback. But beyond those 2 things the article was 100% accurate!
He may not be a star, however with our style of footy he is an integral part of the team. When we have a system which relies so heavily on grind ball, having a fullback like CNK is super important.

If we had a coach who adapted to Vlandysball we'd soon find out CNK may not be our answer at fullback.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Back in the days of Neil, Elliott and Mal, we knew our roster stunk. However, you could never fault the effort. The players played, they gave it all and they scrambled... they just sucked. However even then, we found ways to do things - bomb to Monaghan or Fergie, or the 5 dummyhalf scoots, or just give it to our best player and pray (Dugan, Carney, Campo and Milf). During the Furner years, we got ourselves an attacking maestro Mick Crawley, and we stopped being Raiders, and more like beserkers; 100% offense, ignore defense.

Now, Rickys stic was, "I need rep players"... he got that/ created some borderline guys and took us to the top. HOWEVER... attack was mostly off the back of individual brilliance, esp Leipana.

Now... arguably he still has the roster of rep players, even if they are getting longer in the tooth. However, he needs a bunch of rookies to play above their pay grade, and find some serious X-factor. Either that, or he needs a Mike Crawley!

Wonder if this kind of analytics comes up in a review?!?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Good post Matt. I’d love to be at a board meeting and hear Ricky answer a simple question about what he thinks needs to change for us to succeed next year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Botman season review:

We STINK. We STINK. We STINK.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

My end of season review:

Pros:
- players still played for Ricky even though there were murmurings of discontent (e.g. Canterbury game, Manly game after the GC loss)
- debut of Savage, development of young players like HSS, Timoko, Kris
- progress of Starling, CHN, Young
- Papa and Tapine still are top players
- Rapana's form

Cons:
- our attack has been clunky for the best part of 2 years. Let's face it - even during the year we made the GF, it wasn't smooth and we don't throw a lot at the defence. That's even with Leipana back in 2019
- defence on the edges
- 2nd half fade outs - down to early fitness, use of the bench, tactics
- regression of senior players - Hodgson, Whitehead, Croker
-regression of young guns - Guler, Horse, Bailey, Semi - next year will be a fork in the road in their careers
- we hardly scored with kicks - either bombs or grubbers - need to start using this as a weapon again
- need to play smarter
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We need a 7. Everyone knows that.
Like someone said above... we fired and then sat on our hands.

Reynolds would have been perfect for us.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Reynolds signed by the Broncos 13th May 2021.
Hynes signed by Cronulla 1 June 2021.

The match where George Willaims decided not to play 29th May 2021.

Mystery solved. No strangers required.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This was the rough timeline as best I can work out from a quick search of published reports. My take is the Raiders knew early enough about the Williams situation to consider offers to other key players on the market (eg Reynolds and Hynes). But they chose the route of supporting Williams getting through homesickness and denying a release… and not to enter the market. It’s turned out to be the wrong call.

31 March: Nicho Hynes says his manger speaking to other clubs:

Nicho Hynes manager putting out feelers to other clubs: https://www.zerotackle.com/the-off-cont ... rl-102581/

30 April Raiders reportedly considering offer to Adam Reynolds: viewtopic.php?p=1795118#p1795118

3 May First public report of George Williams being homesick, Raiders not willing to release him: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34587

3 May “With his partner expecting their first child, the England star reportedly approached coach Ricky Stuart a fortnight ago (around 19 April) about an early exit from his contract which still has 18-months to run”: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... b1ddf2af58

4 May Raiders reportedly unwilling to enter halves market: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/04/rai ... by-george/

13 May Reynolds signs with Broncos: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/05 ... from-2022/

25 May George Williams released: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b746048b11

27 May Raiders eye Nicho Hynes: viewtopic.php?p=1802843#p1802843

1 June: Hynes signs with Sharks: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... rne-storm/
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Reynolds I'd take in a heartbeat but he wasn't available until after George was moved on. While there were rumblings of him being unhappy at the time the club appeared to think that they could overcome his homesickness. I also doubt whether he'd move to Canberra.

Hynes is a different story. There is no way I'd be paying him anywhere near 700k. He is not a ball player, he has played virtually no first grade despite being in his mid 20s and is playing in a team that is notorious for making average halves look good. The club got this 100% right.

Until we know who the club has signed (or doesn't sign) it's difficult to judge them.

Re. The turning point for this year, attributing missing the finals due to Williams is absolute baloney. Williams leaving had no effect on how we were playing at the time. we stunk with him. We stunk without him. To me it started going bad when stick became openly critical of the players. He lost the dressing room until they had a sole searching session after the Titans loss. If you watch Stuart's language from that point he always included coaching when referring to what needed to be better. And so after one of the toughest years I can remember we need to beat a reserve grade team which has nothing to play for to make the playoffs and we get humiliated. Why? I heard 2 words in the press conference and it confirmed what I suspected. We cannot beat 'that team'. Sticky grossly underestimated the opposition and we rightfully had our pants pulled down. We win that game and we play against very beatable eels side then all of a sudden we've had an ok year. If there was one moment that defined our season it was most certainly not Williams leaving.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: September 6, 2021, 7:47 pm Mystifying how we cleared him off the books early and then just sat on our hands and watched the players who might have added to the team sign elsehwere - Reynolds, Johnson, Hynes and the rest.
I think Reynolds was already essentially off the market, either signed or deep in negotiations when GWilly did his number on us.

Most damaging signing the club has ever made. The combo of him and Scott in 2020 is probably why we've gone back to the old model of refusing to sign any outside players haha.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

"the sacking of star English halfback George Williams."

Im loathe to do this after the year we've had, but if you're being completely fair and honest about the reporting, he wasnt sacked, he and the club agreed to a mutual release, and this was only AFTER he had pretty walked out on the club.

I mean i dont expect much journalistic integrity from Nine, but let's at least be honest and fair about what happened here.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I disagree with you on Hynes Frog, I have a lot of respect for his passing game. He's started filling in the halves at Melbourne too now. I think he could be either a very good ball playing FB (he already is) or a good half.

He signed for 600k. I guess you went to 700k for the "luring" money, which is fair enough. If you want to upgrade a FB or half position, beyond the bog average though, that's what it costs. The Chad went for 700k. Sometimes you need to spot a talent and back it early- that's how we got Tapine. I think we missed a trick by not going harder.

If he was our FB, that would be great value. As a half it'd be wearable because we have a budget FB option, especially if we strip a few forwards for juniors or opportunity players, which we should.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: September 6, 2021, 9:59 pm Good post Matt. I’d love to be at a board meeting and hear Ricky answer a simple question about what he thinks needs to change for us to succeed next year.
Cheers.

I really don't see too many issues with the roster. Its not the best roster in the league, but its certainly not the worst. Obviously #7 is a glaring issue, but with a few of the older blokes being moved on, allowing for some of the younger guys to come in and be regular top 17ers, I think there is going to be enough roster change, IF, we add a couple more pieces.

I believe GE mentioned we only have 3 or 4 spots left, so, here are the spots Id look at:
1. Is obviously the #7. I think the options Id look at, in order, Pearce (1-2yrs Max), Benji (1yr mentor yr), Ash (coz 200-300K seeems low risk for a yr or 2), Brooks (again, price sub 400k for a yr or 2), Hutchinson/ Lam/ Keighran (surely 1 becomes free with the rise of Walker). Waiting another yr would be HORRIBLE!

2. I think we could use another experienced forward, and as unpopular as a 33yr old Sims would be, I think you would have a bloke that can play middle for 30-50mins, or play on an edge when required. He would provide much needed starch and experience, and while kinda by default, he played Origin this yr and did a decent job. He covers all forward roles, so its a 2 for 1 positionally.
2a) If we have a 4th spot - I think we need another edge, be it a young guy fighting with the other youngsters or an experienced guy. Alternatively, we need to fast track the Kris conversion/ tweener status.

3. I think we need an experienced versatile outside back. An 'Oldie' type guy. Someone who doesn't expect to start, but will do a job should it arise.

The biggest changes are coaching related IMO.
1. Team selection
1a. Bench rotations/ intentions
2. Tactics - HAVE SOME! On both sides - having a single sweep play move, and a when down to 12 man plan, inst enough
3. Fitness, fitness, fitness!!!
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Teams are choosing both better and worse coaches to play under next year. Fitzgibbon comes from an elite club whereas Kevvy isn't proving to be much chop but we'll see how he goes with Reynolds and Staggs next year. My bet is with Ikin running the front office they'll be far more formidable than this year.

Do players not want to play under Stuart given he has a 50% win/loss rate spanning his entire 20 year career? The good coaching years came with an all star playing roster from 2002-2004, where the Roosters with Brad Fittler, Minichiello, Morley, Ricketson, Wing etc were pretty much unstoppable. He inherited an elite team from Graham Murray. As soon as Fittler retired they sunk, coming in ninth in 2005 and then 14th in 2006.

He flamed out at Parra and Cronulla and is sitting on 50% win/loss with Canberra, with a flame out here looking likely. I don't believe he has the playing group and nepotism is running rife and the players not in his inner sanctum feel neglected and resentful to him. All speculation of course but on the surface, it certainly looks that way.

Stuart has had three winning seasons out of eight (2016, 2019, 2020) and in the modern game, that should not be sufficent success to retain your job as coach.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Matt wrote: September 7, 2021, 9:31 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 6, 2021, 9:59 pm Good post Matt. I’d love to be at a board meeting and hear Ricky answer a simple question about what he thinks needs to change for us to succeed next year.
Cheers.

I really don't see too many issues with the roster. Its not the best roster in the league, but its certainly not the worst. Obviously #7 is a glaring issue, but with a few of the older blokes being moved on, allowing for some of the younger guys to come in and be regular top 17ers, I think there is going to be enough roster change, IF, we add a couple more pieces.

I believe GE mentioned we only have 3 or 4 spots left, so, here are the spots Id look at:
1. Is obviously the #7. I think the options Id look at, in order, Pearce (1-2yrs Max), Benji (1yr mentor yr), Ash (coz 200-300K seeems low risk for a yr or 2), Brooks (again, price sub 400k for a yr or 2), Hutchinson/ Lam/ Keighran (surely 1 becomes free with the rise of Walker). Waiting another yr would be HORRIBLE!

2. I think we could use another experienced forward, and as unpopular as a 33yr old Sims would be, I think you would have a bloke that can play middle for 30-50mins, or play on an edge when required. He would provide much needed starch and experience, and while kinda by default, he played Origin this yr and did a decent job. He covers all forward roles, so its a 2 for 1 positionally.
2a) If we have a 4th spot - I think we need another edge, be it a young guy fighting with the other youngsters or an experienced guy. Alternatively, we need to fast track the Kris conversion/ tweener status.

3. I think we need an experienced versatile outside back. An 'Oldie' type guy. Someone who doesn't expect to start, but will do a job should it arise.

1. Team selection
2. Tactics - HAVE SOME! On both sides - having a single sweep play move, and a when down to 12 man plan, inst enough
I think they are all valid points but I believe Stuart's rusted on coaching style is not suitable for the modern game. This year showed that. He'd essentially have to cede control to a guy like Mitchell Pearce to act in a quasi captain/coach role for us to remain relevant and there is no way he would ever do that, given straight from the horses mouth, he would play Semi again next week even after his Mavinesque showing against the Roosters.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2021, 12:05 am This was the rough timeline as best I can work out from a quick search of published reports. My take is the Raiders knew early enough about the Williams situation to consider offers to other key players on the market (eg Reynolds and Hynes). But they chose the route of supporting Williams getting through homesickness and denying a release… and not to enter the market. It’s turned out to be the wrong call.

31 March: Nicho Hynes says his manger speaking to other clubs:

Nicho Hynes manager putting out feelers to other clubs: https://www.zerotackle.com/the-off-cont ... rl-102581/

30 April Raiders reportedly considering offer to Adam Reynolds: viewtopic.php?p=1795118#p1795118

3 May First public report of George Williams being homesick, Raiders not willing to release him: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34587

3 May “With his partner expecting their first child, the England star reportedly approached coach Ricky Stuart a fortnight ago (around 19 April) about an early exit from his contract which still has 18-months to run”: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... b1ddf2af58

4 May Raiders reportedly unwilling to enter halves market: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/04/rai ... by-george/

13 May Reynolds signs with Broncos: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/05 ... from-2022/

25 May George Williams released: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b746048b11

27 May Raiders eye Nicho Hynes: viewtopic.php?p=1802843#p1802843

1 June: Hynes signs with Sharks: https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... rne-storm/
Cheers for the research.
George's (and our) timing could have been far better :lol:.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

legend wrote: September 7, 2021, 9:57 am
Cheers.

1. Team selection
I think they are all valid points but I believe Stuart's rusted on coaching style is not suitable for the modern game. This year showed that. He'd essentially have to cede control to a guy like Mitchell Pearce to act in a quasi captain/coach role for us to remain relevant and there is no way he would ever do that, given straight from the horses mouth, he would play Semi again next week even after his Mavinesque showing against the Roosters.
100% mate. He also said in the Ricky doco, that he has a game plan for all yr, not just 1 wk. So, stubborness is his greatest flaw
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

This is a tight team. And like a lot of tight knit teams it doesn't take much to upset them.

The Williams thing really divided the place. Then there were distractions like Scott.

Ricky hasn't really adapted to the up tempo style of play. Our forwards can play 2nd phase really well, but where is the support player?

We miss a good kick returner. In the past our set started strongly with CNK, Raps, Joey and Cotric taking the returns and gaining good ground. Sadly, until HSS came along we struggled in that regard.

And we suck in attack because we don't have a good 7. That thwarts Jack who likes to run, not organise.

So, next year will be more of the same. Watching a 30 year old Sam Williams or Frawley struggling, and lacking the outside strike we used to have.....I caveat that with the promise of Savage and Timoko has the speed we desperately need.

Work out our forwards. They're not mobile enough, they don't get enough quick PTBs, and chuck some size on our wingers
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

And don't continually kick to the tallest winger on the field...
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Matt wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:13 am
Cheers.

1. Team selection
100% mate. He also said in the Ricky doco, that he has a game plan for all yr, not just 1 wk. So, stubborness is his greatest flaw
You have to be agile and adapt to change on the fly to be successful and what looked successful in round one, was obsolete by round six when the set restart rule changes began to bite and the crackdowns started. Guys like Horsburgh, Sutton and Guler were always going to struggle given their size and lack of conditioning (or it certainly looked that way).
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

legend wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:57 am
Matt wrote: September 7, 2021, 10:13 am
Cheers.

1. Team selection
You have to be agile and adapt to change on the fly to be successful and what looked successful in round one, was obsolete by round six when the set restart rule changes began to bite and the crackdowns started. Guys like Horsburgh, Sutton and Guler were always going to struggle given their size and lack of conditioning (or it certainly looked that way).
Harsh on Sutton. I reckon he was our most consistent forward all yr. Had a couple of Barry Crokers to end the yr, but otherwise I was impressed.

The other 2 regressed. Horse wasnt over the foot injury early, and that showed. I dont think he ever got fit enough either. Not sure what happened to Guler. Looks awesome last yr til he broke the ankle. This yr was avg to poor.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

FROG wrote: September 7, 2021, 6:09 am Hynes is a different story. There is no way I'd be paying him anywhere near 700k. He is not a ball player, he has played virtually no first grade despite being in his mid 20s and is playing in a team that is notorious for making average halves look good. The club got this 100% right.

100%, I'm no fan of the club admin but I'm not slitting my wrists because we have passed/missed out on on the likes of this guy, Ash Taylor and Anthony Milford. People need to have a cup of tea and a lay down......
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brutal end of season reviews

10. CANBERRA RAIDERS

2021 Record: W10 L14 - 41% win rate
Season grade E
What went wrong

How long have you got? Ricky Stuart’s side looked cumbersome and appeared to have been caught out with the rule changes. Too slow and heavy, they lacked sustained dominance through the middle. Canberra would put up a fight in the first half before imploding shortly thereafter.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 92f2fb095a
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont know if Hynes will end up being a good, bad or indifferent NRL half
He's played a bit there and has some good moments mixed with some bad. Certainly he'd an excellent fullback if nothing else

But anyone who says the guy cant ball play either doesn't watch him play or has no idea what they're talking about. He's got 25 try assists and most of them from his ability to play at the line, and make the correct pass based on the read the defence gives him.

No idea if he'll continue to be able to do that at the Sharks, a lot goes into that, structure, coaching, and of course form and confidence, but he's already proven that he is capable of being an excellent ball player. That's his skill set. It's now up to the Sharks and their coaching staff to get the best out of him the way the Storm and Bellemy have
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 12:48 pm I dont know if Hynes will end up being a good, bad or indifferent NRL half
He's played a bit there and has some good moments mixed with some bad. Certainly he'd an excellent fullback if nothing else

But anyone who says the guy cant ball play either doesn't watch him play or has no idea what they're talking about. He's got 25 try assists and most of them from his ability to play at the line, and make the correct pass based on the read the defence gives him.

No idea if he'll continue to be able to do that at the Sharks, a lot goes into that, structure, coaching, and of course form and confidence, but he's already proven that he is capable of being an excellent ball player. That's his skill set. It's now up to the Sharks and their coaching staff to get the best out of him the way the Storm and Bellemy have
Hynes was the best possible recruit we could have had for the halves/fullback, for the reason mentioned. The price was a steal. I'm not keen on moving CNK, but if we had Hynes that would put that discussion in a different perspective. And if we couldn't get another No. 7, then we could have played him there. The Sharks seem to be planning on him as a half. I think he'll do well.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

My greatest concern is that we (i.e. the club) will go into 2022 believing that this year was just down to bad luck with the Williams situation, injuries, etc. because if that's the view, we will be worse next year. We need to update our tactics and style of play as a minimum. After missing out on every potential recruit that was on the market this year, I hope we've got some solid targets in mind for those entering the market in November.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Nobody can question how good Hynes has been for Storm this year. Plenty of questions about how he will go playing in the no7 at Sharks. Answers will only come once we see him in that role on the park.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 7, 2021, 1:34 pm My greatest concern is that we (i.e. the club) will go into 2022 believing that this year was just down to bad luck with the Williams situation, injuries, etc. because if that's the view, we will be worse next year. We need to update our tactics and style of play as a minimum. After missing out on every potential recruit that was on the market this year, I hope we've got some solid targets in mind for those entering the market in November.
There is no doubt this is the view held within the club. Hate to constantly be bringing up Paul Kent, but on MMM they were talking about their biggest disappointments this season. Tallis said Raiders, Kent was next and he said "George Williams". Given his closeness to Ricky, and Ricky's post match presser where he implied the Williams saga was the reason, I think this is certainly the opinion held within the club (along with injuries), which completely ignores:

* The lack of any structured/well coached attack.
* The clear fitness troubles in our second half fades in the losing streak we had. No doubt a result of planning to "peak in the finals" (a mistake repeated from 2017, like we are good enough to be entitled to a finals spot).
* The regression of our young forwards, particularly Horsburgh and Guler (but also Young to some degree), who have gone backwards since 2019 (Stuart blames this on lack of pre-season, but I don't think that matters once you get into the later part of the year).
* Issues with Hodgson, in defence and attack, with the new rules and game post 2 ACL reconstructions. Starling's lack of deception/ball playing. Ball playing in the squad in general.
* At times paper thin defence, conceding 30 (and even 40) plus points at numerous times this season (30 points only happened a couple of times across 19/20).
* Complete lack of football IQ in the squad, mentioned in the other topic - the inability to target weakness in opposition.
* A squad with players either too green (HSS, Timoko) or too old/past it (you know who). Very few players in their peak form.

The fact is, we are miles away from being a premiership threat, which is where we need to be. You could even argue we are pretty far away from resembling a Top 8 side, given the manner of our losses to the Titans, Roosters, and Knights during the year.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2021, 1:04 pm
Botman wrote: September 7, 2021, 12:48 pm I dont know if Hynes will end up being a good, bad or indifferent NRL half

Hynes was the best possible recruit we could have had for the halves/fullback, for the reason mentioned. The price was a steal. I'm not keen on moving CNK, but if we had Hynes that would put that discussion in a different perspective. And if we couldn't get another No. 7, then we could have played him there. The Sharks seem to be planning on him as a half. I think he'll do well.
The sharks will definitely play him in the halves. Kennedy has a mortgage on that fullback role.
Something like:
1. Kennedy
3. Tracey
6. Hynes
7. Trindall

14. Moylan / Metcalf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is it time for change in Canberra?

Thursday night's horror result confirmed what we have all known for weeks now - that the 2021 Canberra Raiders aren't up to finals footy. I wrote previously that the Raiders were 2021s underachievers and an overwhelming amount of readers agreed. Nothing short of a comfortable finals finish could match expectations.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/is-it-time-f ... al-109389/
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 7, 2021, 9:45 pm Is it time for change in Canberra?

Thursday night's horror result confirmed what we have all known for weeks now - that the 2021 Canberra Raiders aren't up to finals footy. I wrote previously that the Raiders were 2021s underachievers and an overwhelming amount of readers agreed. Nothing short of a comfortable finals finish could match expectations.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/is-it-time-f ... al-109389/
The contents of this article is what we are mostly thinking on GH Forum. It's like he's browsed our Forum and read the posts, and then wrote the article. I agree with it except the Wighton moving to fullback suggestion. Did we get to the bottom of Kris' unavailability for the Roosters game ? Some of Ricky's team selections have been baffling.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I was reflecting on our season and as a collective the Greenhouse really has nothing to complain about. The reason I say that is that we essentially got exactly what we sought. We criticise Ricky for his loyalty to a fault but those in greenhouses shouldn’t throw stones. Whenever a GH member question the form of a club favourite that member is generally howled down in a chorus of disagreement. At times we are comfortable collectively heaping hate on a rookie a handful of games into a career or perhaps even begrudgingly agree that Croker’s Zimmer frame might be impacting his pace. But generally I’d say at least 90% of our squad is beyond criticism and anyone who suggests otherwise will be shouted down. On that basis I’d say we very much have the squad we collectively asked for and the season we collectively deserved. I’d also suggest we need to collectively harden up and be more focused on success than sentiment.