Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Brisbane Broncos confirm interest in Ryan James

Post by bonehead »

Billy Walker wrote:
1992 wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:03 pm I find it odd that Ricky did not give Lui much game time this year after a very solid 2020.
Lui near that form is better than Guler or the Hors.
I see the CT is running a headline that Hors’ injury woes continue. I don’t get sense he is putting the work into his body he needs to. I say cut him loose.
more inflammatory crap based on nothing

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

bonehead wrote: September 17, 2021, 9:14 am
Billy Walker wrote:
1992 wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:03 pm I find it odd that Ricky did not give Lui much game time this year after a very solid 2020.
I see the CT is running a headline that Hors’ injury woes continue. I don’t get sense he is putting the work into his body he needs to. I say cut him loose.

Here’s the article Bonehead - https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14260

If a young bloke like Hors is having “injury woes” at his age you have to question his long term future given he is playing in a physically demanding position. Maybe he has just had an unlucky run but many on here have commented that he doesn’t appear to have his diet in order or his body in shape.

Happy to hear if you think otherwise but your first go at a reply was a little silly.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He doesn't mind a beer either Hors, put it that way.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Here’s the article Bonehead - https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14260

If a young bloke like Hors is having “injury woes” at his age you have to question his long term future given he is playing in a physically demanding position. Maybe he has just had an unlucky run but many on here have commented that he doesn’t appear to have his diet in order or his body in shape.

Happy to hear if you think otherwise but your first go at a reply was a little silly.
no, you've called him a poor trainer which you have zero evidence of.

You're make assumptions based off someone's physical appearance.

Joe Tapine has no rig whatsoever, should we launch him?

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

bonehead wrote: September 17, 2021, 11:38 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Not taking sides here but Tapine himself admitted last year that he hated the gym and didn't really start weight training until last year... not the greatest example.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Boney hope you're prepared for the instagram onslaught from Mrs Tapine that's coming your way! Ricky wasn't :o
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: I see the CT is running a headline that Hors’ injury woes continue. I don’t get sense he is putting the work into his body he needs to. I say cut him loose.

Not taking sides here but Tapine himself admitted last year that he hated the gym and didn't really start weight training until last year... not the greatest example.
exactly my point, just because tapine isn't a big gym guy doesn't mean he's no good. Just because Hors isn't ripped doesn't mean he doesn't do the work or should be punted.
His injuries have been lisfranc, broken wrist, shoulder reco.
His numbers in nsw cup were excellent yet here we have someone calling him out as lazy off the field due to an injury run.

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

bonehead wrote: September 17, 2021, 1:37 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 17, 2021, 9:14 am more inflammatory crap based on nothing

exactly my point, just because tapine isn't a big gym guy doesn't mean he's no good. Just because Hors isn't ripped doesn't mean he doesn't do the work or should be punted.
His injuries have been lisfranc, broken wrist, shoulder reco.
His numbers in nsw cup were excellent yet here we have someone calling him out as lazy off the field due to an injury run.

Tapine isn't ripped because he's self-admittedly lazy in the gym. Horsburgh isn't ripped because presumably...

I think he deserves another shot next year, for the record. It would be good to see what he can do once recovering from injury and if he looks after his body. I definitely wouldn't be sad to see him pick up a deal elsewhere though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii isn’t “ripped” either. Some players have bodies with certain natural predispositions. I doubt anyone on this forum has a scrap of evidence to support the proposition that a foot and a shoulder injury have anything to do with a player’s training. But we do know there is causation running in the opposite direction. Corey’s foot injury significantly affected his 2021 pre season.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

There are lots of pro sports people around the world that arent ripped. Their muscular definition has ZERO to do with performance. Its how they use their muscles that counts
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

That's not the point. It doesn't matter if you're ripped or not... I agree completely. I just thought it would be odd to compare the Horsburgh thing to Tapine re: muscle tone and saying that's no indication of how hard somebody trains when Tapine admitted himself that he never spent much time in the gym until last year. You can look as ripped or as flabby as you like as long as the results are produced.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t know how Hors goes in the gym but I do know he doesn’t mind a drink in the off-season.

When in doubt on these things alway ask yourself- WWMD…. What would Melbourne do?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Matt wrote:There are lots of pro sports people around the world that arent ripped. Their muscular definition has ZERO to do with performance. Its how they use their muscles that counts
I’ve been telling Mrs Fui that for years, as I lounge on the couch testing my home brews.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 17, 2021, 5:32 pm
Matt wrote:There are lots of pro sports people around the world that arent ripped. Their muscular definition has ZERO to do with performance. Its how they use their muscles that counts
I’ve been telling Mrs Fui that for years, as I lounge on the couch testing my home brews.
Keg is always better than 6 pack :D
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Just read that he’s now got an offical offer from Bronx for 2 years and final stages of release from raiders?

Think he probably doesn’t fit where we are going and gets an extra year close to family. Makes sense I suppose
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James to end 2023

The Courier Mail is reporting that Raiders prop Ryan James is on the verge of inking a two-year deal with the Brisbane Broncos. James was contracted to the Raiders for 2022, but will be released to return to Queensland to be closer to family. He has agreed to terms with the Brisbane club.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 860c2e2f89
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James to end 2023

Post by Botman »

For the best for all parties
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 7:46 pm For the best for all parties
Yep. I doubt he ever really settled in Canberra.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Makes you wonder why we bothered signing him though
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

All the best to Ryan. We didn’t utilise his talents at all.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Thought he would have got more of a split with Lui in the 16 minutes per a match prop role.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Rickmando wrote:All the best to Ryan. We didn’t utilise his talents at all.
I reckon this may be the first and only time that I agree with rickmando on something. Unlike many others I was pretty stoked when we signed James. Despite the obvious injury risk I saw plenty of upside both on and off the field. 12 months on and the bloke had no injuries, took a while to get going but showed when playing for the Bulldogs what he was capable of. Played big minutes and was a stand out on the field. What Ricky was expecting from him beyond what he delivered is beyond me. Really disappointed but hardly surprised he is leaving us

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fair enough.

Was a bit of a daft signing in the end since Ricky was reluctant to use him properly.

Glad he's got a contract and we can clear some cap space. He was a thorough pro off the field and on.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Played so well for the dogs. Not one of Rockys ‘mates’ unfortunately
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

James scoring that try in round 1 was a nice moment.
Probably the highlight of our year..
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I think he played well enough during the time he got to keep a spot on the bench, so I was surprised he didn't get selected in our 17 more during the season.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The question is, what will we do with his money ($350,000), that of Scott ($350,000) and GWilliams ($600,000) *(estimates only)
As NRL360 pointed out, there's only Peachey, Ash Taylor, Adam Elliott, Aaron Woods, Corey Norman available next year.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 21, 2021, 10:49 pm The question is, what will we do with his money ($350,000), that of Scott ($350,000) and GWilliams ($600,000) *(estimates only)
As NRL360 pointed out, there's only Peachey, Ash Taylor, Adam Elliott, Aaron Woods, Corey Norman available next year.
Probably same as the Raiders MO of the last 20 years: use it up bump up the salaries of the current underperforming squad. Especially if mates with Rocky or just a good bloke generally

Eg CNK is an elite tier fullback like Turbo, so he needs an upgrade

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded maybe CNK, Starling... players who they rate and want to tempt to stay
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 21, 2021, 10:49 pm The question is, what will we do with his money ($350,000), that of Scott ($350,000) and GWilliams ($600,000) *(estimates only)
Probably same as the Raiders MO of the last 20 years: use it up bump up the salaries of the current underperforming squad. Especially if mates with Rocky or just a good bloke generally

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded maybe CNK, Starling... players who they rate and want to tempt to stay
Perhaps. But with Savage, Tomoko (TMNT), HSS looking at more first grade they do actually need an upgrade - of course, not fully accounting for 1.3 million.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

An amicable parting from the Raiders. It is possible. We have too many middle forwards so from a roster point of view a sound move. I don't know what Sticky's instructions to him were on game day so I am mystified that his performance was not considered good enough to be picked in FG. Anyway, good luck in Brisbane Ryan, just not against the Raiders.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote:

Perhaps. But with Savage, Tomoko (TMNT), HSS looking at more first grade they do actually need an upgrade - of course, not fully accounting for 1.3 million.
all 3 of those guys signed new deals in the last 3 months, if they need upgrades post 2022 Don Will get it done

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:An amicable parting from the Raiders. It is possible. We have too many middle forwards so from a roster point of view a sound move. I don't know what Sticky's instructions to him were on game day so I am mystified that his performance was not considered good enough to be picked in FG. Anyway, good luck in Brisbane Ryan, just not against the Raiders.
Need room for Mooney to come through and also interested where Darby Medlyn sits now.

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

bonehead wrote: September 22, 2021, 7:46 am
RedRaider wrote:An amicable parting from the Raiders. It is possible. We have too many middle forwards so from a roster point of view a sound move. I don't know what Sticky's instructions to him were on game day so I am mystified that his performance was not considered good enough to be picked in FG. Anyway, good luck in Brisbane Ryan, just not against the Raiders.
Need room for Mooney to come through and also interested where Darby Medlyn sits now.

One name I'm keen to see us keep is Medlyn, I rate him like HSS, I'd love to see him get some time in firsts next year, I think he will surprise a lot of people
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m not sure Darby Medlyn is going to be a regular first grader myself. Quite sure about HSS.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I guess it was the 5 minutes he got against the sharks last season, came on, did a tackle that pushed the sharks about 10m back and got us a drop out return first minute, I thought that was pretty impressive