Matt Frawley locks in one year contract extension with Green Machine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Matt Frawley set for one year contract extension with Green Machine

Post by Northern Raider »

Interesting that people still think DFJ is responsible for recruitment.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting that people still think TDFJ is responsible for nothing and never has any fault. The corporate version of Croker
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:25 pm Interesting that people still think DFJ is responsible for recruitment.
Anyone who think's Stuart is having his roster dictated to him by the CEO is, to be perfectly frank, a ****.

Where DFJ can come under fire is that as long as Stuart as the tsar of this football operation we need someone capable of wielding influence over him on some level to talk him out of dumb recruitment/retention decisions... now I'm not sure that person exists in this world, as Stuart's stubbornness (those unkind would call it pigheadedness) is legendary, but if DFJ cant do that and it seems he can't (or worst he was unable to see the folly in some of these decisions), we should at least try to find someone who can.

But make no mistake. This is Stuart's team. He is the decision maker on who is retained and who is recruited. Just as the 2019 roster was entirely his making and he received all of the credit. He too owns the 2021 failure in it's entirety. The state of the rosters sits at his feet.

If Matt Frawley is being extended for a year, it's not because DFJ has decided Frawley is a fit for the roster, it's because Stuart has told DFJ that he wants Frawley back.
Last edited by Botman on September 6, 2021, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:40 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:25 pm Interesting that people still think DFJ is responsible for recruitment.
Anyone who think's Stuart is having his roster dictated to him by the CEO is, to be perfectly frank, a ****.

Where DFJ can come under fire is that as long as Stuart as the tsar of this football operation we need someone capable of wielding influence over him on some level to talk him out of dumb recruitment/retention decisions... now I'm not sure that person exists in this world, as Stuart's stubbornness (those unkind would call it pigheadedness) is legendary, but if DFJ cant do that and it seems he can't (or worst he was unable to see the folly in some of these decisions), we should at least try to find someone who can.

But make no mistake. This is Stuart's team. He is the decision maker on who is retained and who is recruited. Just as the 2019 roster was entirely his making and he received all of the credit. He too owns the 2021 failure in it's entirety. The state of the rosters sits at his feet.
That's pretty much it. Stuart is responsible for where our football team is at. He's been handed the keys to the city. Ultimately though, DFJ is responsible for Stuart (along with the rest of the board).
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

What's concerning to me is I think were Stuart to step back as coach, he would almost certainly be placed into a Phil Gould-like position as 'director of football' or something at the club. Whoever came in to take over as coach would be stuck with Ricky's decisions nonetheless.

I do think occasionally we need to remember that Ricky Stuart took us within eight minutes of a title just two years ago, and got us to a prelim last year. This isn't David Furner or Matt Elliott we're talking about here.

The concern from me is he's starting to make the same sort of errors that Furner and Elliot made when it came to veterans and favourites. When he first took over he had no qualms in punting stalwarts like Campo and Fensom - was it just because they hadn't had enough time for them to become his mates yet?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:48 pm What's concerning to me is I think were Stuart to step back as coach, he would almost certainly be placed into a Phil Gould-like position as 'director of football' or something at the club. Whoever came in to take over as coach would be stuck with Ricky's decisions nonetheless.

I do think occasionally we need to remember that Ricky Stuart took us within eight minutes of a title just two years ago, and got us to a prelim last year. This isn't David Furner or Matt Elliott we're talking about here.

The concern from me is he's starting to make the same sort of errors that Furner and Elliot made when it came to veterans and favourites. When he first took over he had no qualms in punting stalwarts like Campo and Fensom - was it just because they hadn't had enough time for them to become his mates yet?
The real concern is those are not errors he hasn't made before. He has spoken about this re his time at the roosters and how he was too loyal to players who had done the job for him before instead of turning the squad over when he knew they weren't up to it anymore. He's repeating his own squad building error again, which tells me that's just who he is and there is really no escaping it.

I actually think him moving to a role like the Gould situation would be better. That distance between that role and player group, where he's sitting in an office grinding tape, talking to managers, assessing the performances from afar COULD allow him to be more ruthless and objective about players and where they are, as opposed to know when he clearly forms strong bonds and attachments to certain players and has a terrible time breaking them
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:35 pm Interesting that people still think TDFJ is responsible for nothing and never has any fault. The corporate version of Croker
There is a ton of things he's responsible for.

It might shock you to learn that an NRL football club has quite a lot going on beyond the NRL football team and it's 30 contracted players.

I mean to go www.raiders.com.au right now and have a look at the backdrop for the Meninga Medal photo of Schifcofske and Rapana.

The club is supported by a ton of sponsors, managing those contracts and relationships is probably at least a quarter of the job on its own. Then there is the lower grades and all the associated administration that comes with that. Including the contracts of those kids. There is membership, there is stadium related matters, there is community engagement, government engagement, we've got deals in place with ACT GOV and managing that relationship, there is involvement with CRRL, doing things like applications for a WNRL team. There is some facilities management stuff, we just had a major project delivered in our new training facility, the ironically named "centre of excellence". There is always some PR and media responsibilities. He's reporting up to the board on the club and it's overall health, from playing group, to all the matters and probably 1000 other things that we simply don't know.

And he's still involved in the actual NRL playing group in so far a contract has to be written, signed and agreed and whilst Stuart will tell him who to sign, Stuart can't write the contract. These are legal documents. You've got to go and draft that document, nut through the minutiae of back and forth between club and manager on tedious contract language and do that that physical contract work.

Now he's not doing all of that on his own, he has an entire company of non football related staff which help manage this. The NRL squad itself, i doubt would represent more than 10% of the workload within the football club.

There is a WIDE world of things for which DFJ is responsible for, many of which people could have issues with. Including PR, and membership and community engagement which I've taken issue with many times over the years and more recently with the handling on JB, Williams and Scott.

So no, no one thinks he responsible for nothing or he's never at fault. As above, there is a lot he's responsible for.

The 30 man NRL roster? No, that is Stuart's domain. He has complete authority and final say on who is and isnt on that roster. And how they perform under him, has even less to do with DFJ.

The state of the NRL roster is entirely Stuart's making. It was that way in 2019 when we were throwing parades for Stuart and praising him for a job well done and DFJ got exactly ZERO credit for that (and rightly so), and it is that way now in 2021 when the roster looks to be in a dire state.

Matt Frawley is not being extended because DFJ decided in his infinite wisdom that Frawley is a good back up half for his level of performance vs salary. No, he's being extended because Ricky Stuart wants him as part of his 30 man roster next season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget, Don and Ricky are good mates. They're going to do everything in a consultative fashion. But the coach makes the decisions at almost every club on which players to hire and fire - and that'll be true at the Raiders. The CEO's job is to get it done, while making sure it is consistent with the salary cap, and everything is done properly in legal terms etc. If the deal can't be fitted in the cap, then coach and CEO are obviously going to talk. It'll obviously involve Peter Mulholland, the recruitment guru, who scouts, makes recommendations, and he'll do a lot of the organisation of the deals. They'll come up with decisions together. But Ricky is certainly not a coach who's going to have a player somehow foisted on him. He'll ultimately make the calls about whether they're hired or fired.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Timbo wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:48 pm I do think occasionally we need to remember that Ricky Stuart took us within eight minutes of a title just two years ago, and got us to a prelim last year. This isn't David Furner or Matt Elliott we're talking about here.

Absolutely - that's been my theory for some time. Far easier to punt someone else's favourites than your own. And even then he said how hard he found it, to leave Fensom out of the squad each week
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I actually wonder if it's one area where professional full-time sport is actually counter-productive. You have to spend hours and hours with people every week. You almost have to be mates. The actual time on-field is minimal compared to that. That allows a lot of space for cult of personality rather than performance to take over

Imagine if the coach was some guy looking from afar who never met the players. I think a number of guys this year wouldn't have got a look in
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: September 6, 2021, 4:57 pm Don't forget, Don and Ricky are good mates. They're going to do everything in a consultative fashion. But the coach makes the decisions at almost every club on which players to hire and fire - and that'll be true at the Raiders. The CEO's job is to get it done, while making sure it is consistent with the salary cap, and everything is done properly in legal terms etc. If the deal can't be fitted in the cap, then coach and CEO are obviously going to talk. It'll obviously involve Peter Mulholland, the recruitment guru, who scouts, makes recommendations, and he'll do a lot of the organisation of the deals. They'll come up with decisions together. But Ricky is certainly not a coach who's going to have a player somehow foisted on him. He'll ultimately make the calls about whether they're hired or fired.
....or with the NRL, how to get it done outside the reach of cap auditors and/or exploiting legal loopholes. ;)
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: September 6, 2021, 3:54 pm
The real concern is those are not errors he hasn't made before. He has spoken about this re his time at the roosters and how he was too loyal to players who had done the job for him before instead of turning the squad over when he knew they weren't up to it anymore. He's repeating his own squad building error again, which tells me that's just who he is and there is really no escaping it.

I actually think him moving to a role like the Gould situation would be better. That distance between that role and player group, where he's sitting in an office grinding tape, talking to managers, assessing the performances from afar COULD allow him to be more ruthless and objective about players and where they are, as opposed to know when he clearly forms strong bonds and attachments to certain players and has a terrible time breaking them
People like Bellamy and Robinson are a lot more professional than Stuart in this regard. I agree that if Stuart hasn't found the balance on this by now, he will never find it, and that being in a role that would have him more removed from the playing group, such as a coaching director type gig, would be much more beneficial. He will cut the players that he has to cut (i.e. players at the end of their contract who are getting on such as Soliola and Lui) but it remains to be seen how far he will go beyond that... and I can't say I have all that much hope.

Let's pretend that Bellamy or Robinson were coach of this team and had the year we had this season (doubt it could have happened, but let's just pretend). Do you think either of them would be signing on both Frawley and Williams for another year? I know it's just back up halves spots... but at a time when we don't have a starting half contracted, it's a wild decision. I think both of those coaches would be allowing Hodgson to move on if they decided Starling is our primary 9 and couldn't talk him into playing that 13 role for us, for instance. I can't see either of them allowing the George Williams situation to fester like Stuart did either. Another coach would have been far more decisive - told George that he'd be here until the end of the season when they'd be releasing him, and got straight to working out the replacement. Instead, we ended up having to move reactively and missed out on guys like Reynolds.

Loyalty and mateship are good qualities but unfortunately you can't afford to cater too much for those in a professional sporting competition that operates on a salary cap.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I get the feeling Ricky has a weakness in wanting to be liked. It's odd from such an abrasive character, but it explains his sentimental decisions, repeatedly referring to himself as a "players's coach", making it known that he has a beer with other coaches after the game etc

You have to have a higher target than that, and that's what I think Rusty Crowe, Bellamy etc are able to do. I'm sure they're liked, but I'm also sure it's on their terms. Oh the other hand if you're giving away power in order to be liked...
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Re-signed for one more year. Confirmed on his instagram.

Matt Frawley extends with Raiders

Matt Frawley has extended his stay at the Canberra Raiders through to the end of the 2022 season. Frawley, who is a Canberra native was happy to ‘pen’ the extension, being a local product and is looking forward to more game time next season. When discussing the extension Frawley said, “Being from Canberra made the decision to stay definitely a lot easier, having family and friends from here and being able to pull on the lime green is something I cherish.”

Read more: http://www.mapsports.com.au/2021/09/23/ ... 22-season/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Boooooooo
FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Matt Frawley locks in one year contract extension with Green Machine

Post by FROG »

Come now Matt. Happy for the bloke. He has proven he can fill in if required. That's his role. I'd have preferred signing a young up and coming half but also see value on having experienced halves who can do a job 1 or 2 weeks a year. It's a 1 year contract. Has anyone heard anything more about Sammy? Is there a chance he'll retire?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's the slightly better option than Sam imo. Relatively experienced and can handle halfback to place Schneider alongside. Ok.

Only looks dumb if we also resign Williams.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Matt wrote:Boooooooo
Ouch Matt!

I’m happy for Frawley to be retained as back up as he’s solid.

Probably won’t win you a game but won’t lose you one either.

Have to wonder where this leaves Sammy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roy Rover wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:34 pm Ouch Matt!

I’m happy for Frawley to be retained as back up as he’s solid.

Probably won’t win you a game but won’t lose you one either.

Have to wonder where this leaves Sammy.

Im unexcited by this.
If he is seen as the 4th half, then ok fine, I guess you need a body.
However, if Sammy signs too... oh dear
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Yeah I don’t see value in keeping both.

The fact that there has been no definite news that Sammy is staying and the fact that Frawley had moved ahead of him by the end of the season does make me wonder.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roy Rover wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:55 pm Yeah I don’t see value in keeping both.

The fact that there has been no definite news that Sammy is staying and the fact that Frawley had moved ahead of him by the end of the season does make me wonder.

Perhaps he will join Sia on staff?!?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roy Rover wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:34 pm Have to wonder where this leaves Sammy.
Sam has already re-signed for one year.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:05 pm
Roy Rover wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:34 pm Have to wonder where this leaves Sammy.
Still nothing official from the club, which makes me wonder if either party/potentially both are having second thoughts.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

UncleDrew wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:23 pm
Still nothing official from the club, which makes me wonder if either party/potentially both are having second thoughts.
I understand it is a done deal.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:27 pm
Then the club has royally stuffed up
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Matt wrote: September 23, 2021, 9:38 pm
Then the club has royally stuffed up
I just think it’s strange we have not announced it considering it was ‘done’ in June/July, something is not adding up… maybe I’m overthinking it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

What a horrendous decision. Just wow.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If that's true, it's more of the sentimental crap ala Croker, Sia- guys who are way past it and going to be carried too long.

Also leads me to think they don't see Schneider as a half- he's at the stage where he needs to be playing every week vs men, preferably alongside an experienced partner, not making cameos off the bench. He's already missed a year to covid. So either he's no good or they see him evolving into another position.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

BadnMean wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:59 am
If that's true, it's more of the sentimental crap ala Croker, Sia- guys who are way past it and going to be carried too long.

Also leads me to think they don't see Schneider as a half- he's at the stage where he needs to be playing every week vs men, preferably alongside an experienced partner, not making cameos off the bench. He's already missed a year to covid. So either he's no good or they see him evolving into another position.
yea i think it was mulholland who mentioned they think Scnheider could end up a lock/utility down the track, that statement made it pretty clear the club didn't view him as our future halfback. i don't think they have any intention of using scheider as a starting FG half.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

As a 2nd or 3rd string halfback deal done in parallel with Sam Williams' retirement plans — this is a sound signing.

In fact in the absence of any halfback signing for 2022 it would have been bizarre to let Frawley's contract expire.

1. Fogarty
2. Schneider
3. Frawley

With Frawley potentially being a second string if Schneider's development stalls, looks fine to me.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've seen Schneider play some good games, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was at his best when Adrian Trevilyan was also playing at hooker. They have a good understanding. But I'm not sure he's going to make a regular first grade halfback myself. It is difficult to assess as some of the younger players have not had a lot of opportunity to develop in real matches in the past couple of years... and show their wares. But I don't really see a furture superstar half in the making in Schneider. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:14 am As a 2nd or 3rd string halfback deal done in parallel with Sam Williams' retirement plans — this is a sound signing.

In fact in the absence of any halfback signing for 2022 it would have been bizarre to let Frawley's contract expire.

1. Fogarty
2. Schneider
3. Frawley

With Frawley potentially being a second string if Schneider's development stalls, looks fine to me.
I thought you were doing a Ricky and putting our halves in the outside backs for a second there :lol:

My hope would be one of the two veterans are outside the top 30, but given Williams was signed when he was first choice 7 and Frawley when he had surpassed Williams that seems unlikely. It would be madness to trot out two veterans in NSW Cup next season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:14 am As a 2nd or 3rd string halfback deal done in parallel with Sam Williams' retirement plans — this is a sound signing.
Sam Williams' retirement plans? That's news. Do you have info we don't, or are you making things up again?

Or are you just.... how should I put this.... deathriding him?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I've seen Schneider play some good games, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was at his best when Adrian Trevilyan was also playing at hooker. They have a good understanding. But I'm not sure he's going to make a regular first grade halfback myself. It is difficult to assess as some of the younger players have not had a lot of opportunity to develop in real matches in the past couple of years... and show their wares. But I don't really see a furture superstar half in the making in Schneider. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Do you think the club has already moved on from Schneider and thinking about the development of the younger bloke? Moala?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You need reserve grade halves, what's the issue?

Schneider has barely played any games out of juniors, he's about 2 years behind where he should be

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk