Raiders reportedly interested in Dylan Brown

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Junior Paulo and Dylan Brown

Post by bonehead »

Billy Walker wrote:
Botman wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:17 pm So you want to shell out a ton of money to get a guy you think sucks to be a worse version of what we have now, and make Wighton a backrower who... could be good, bad or indifferent? But is paid like the best backrower in the world from day dot?

Thats a big time heavy **** pass from me, friend

As for ball playing backrowers, i mean if you're talking lock forwards... sure. But they're middle players. Edges? I dont know about that. The best edge forwards in the world are not Elliot Whitehead level ball players. They're guys like Crighton, Kikau, Fafita... ball runners who can offload in traffic. They dont ball play at or before the line. Wighton doesnt do that either but he isn't particularly good as offloading in traffic either. I could see Wighton transitioning to a #13 role in today's game long term, but that's more a Victor Radley role more than an edge.
If Jack proves not to be the answer in the halves then the answer is to move him on and pay some freight. He’s on big halves money and that is way overs his value in the back row or elsewhere in the backline. If he was on less then sure try him anywhere you want but the coin he is on is halves or bust.
do you not get sick of talking utter garbage?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:36 pm
Botman wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:17 pm So you want to shell out a ton of money to get a guy you think sucks to be a worse version of what we have now, and make Wighton a backrower who... could be good, bad or indifferent? But is paid like the best backrower in the world from day dot?

As for ball playing backrowers, i mean if you're talking lock forwards... sure. But they're middle players. Edges? I dont know about that. The best edge forwards in the world are not Elliot Whitehead level ball players. They're guys like Crighton, Kikau, Fafita... ball runners who can offload in traffic. They dont ball play at or before the line. Wighton doesnt do that either but he isn't particularly good as offloading in traffic either. I could see Wighton transitioning to a #13 role in today's game long term, but that's more a Victor Radley role more than an edge.
If Jack proves not to be the answer in the halves then the answer is to move him on and pay some freight. He’s on big halves money and that is way overs his value in the back row or elsewhere in the backline. If he was on less then sure try him anywhere you want but the coin he is on is halves or bust.
I concur
If you dont beleive in Wighton as a 5/8th (and i can honestly see the merit in that give his terrible kicking game and lack of ball playing, and in this team which is devoid of strike outwide to allow him to play his natural game), and i dont for a second believe Stuart doesnt, he's very much in Jack's corner, and he'll be the 5/8th for the next 3-4 years at least imo... but if that changes and you move on, SOMEONE is going to take a chance on a Dally M, CC medalist if we're paying freight.

I personally side with the idea that we need to give him strike weapons to open his game up. He'll always be limited and not as consistent as we'd like. But he's EXTREMELY effective with the right players around him.
Last edited by Botman on August 8, 2021, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:17 pm Afgtnk and botman disagree with the idea.

I rest my case.
That's not a case.

Also, moving a player out of an important position for an objectively worse player does not make any sense. Further, it's a huge, unnecessary gamble to have that player, who also happens to be the highest paid at the club, transition to a completely new position he hasn't played a single minute in, ever.
If I was the head of recruitment and retention at this club I'd be doing the exact opposite of what you have to say.

I have not met a single person that has been a poorer judge of talent in my entire life.

So please excuse me if I don't give a rat's ass what you have to say on the matter.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

bonehead wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

do you not get sick of talking utter garbage?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
He’s up around $900k I seem to recall. That is fair money for a quality half and Jack has shown form in the past to justify that coin as a half. But seriously you think he is worth that money as a back rower, centre or fullback. That is elite player money. You’d need to free it up to pay it to a replacement half.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I don't think Wighton moving on is as crazy as it sounds - particularly if he keeps this up. He's stinking the joint up right now, irrespective of the team's woes and coaching.

He's kinda boxed himself in with a lack of positional options now. Fullback is gone. He could move back to the centres, but that'd probably feel like a huge backwards step for him. It also couldn't come with the financial terms he's on now.

I'll maintain that he's always been unfortunate that Croker came before him and took a mortgage out on left centre. If there were no Croker, my bet is Jack would've had a decade there up to now, and would've never had the positional swaps he's had.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:40 pm

I concur
If you dont beleive in Wighton as a 5/8th (and i can honestly see the merit in that give his terrible kicking game and lack of ball playing, and in this team which is devoid of strike outwide to allow him to play his natural game), and i dont for a second believe Stuart doesnt, he's very much in Jack's corner, and he'll be the 5/8th for the next 3-4 years at least imo... but if that changes and you move on, SOMEONE is going to take a chance on a Dally M, CC medalist if we're paying freight.

I personally side with the idea that we need to give him strike weapons to open his game up. He'll always be limited and not as consistent as we'd like. But he's EXTREMELY effective with the right players around him.
Yes let’s be very clear here that we can debate the merits of what we think should happen with Jack all we like but there is no way Ricky is entertaining anything but Jack at 6 till the cows come home.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:

I concur

Wighton is a wonderful footballer. He was crucial to our 2019 Grand Final run. There is no way we should be letting that talent walk.

However, this season he has been without a doubt the worst performing State of Origin level player I have ever seen. He is just about the worst 5/8 on form in the comp. It's a miracle we are in the top 8 with a makeshift fullback, Wighton and Williams in our spine.

So, I want him somewhere in our lineup. I don't give a **** where that is, but not in the halves any more. We also need someone to replace Whitehead.

Would I have taken a punt on Milford to do so? Yeah, yeah I would have. But we didn't.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on August 8, 2021, 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:41 pm
afgtnk wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:17 pm Afgtnk and botman disagree with the idea.

I rest my case.
That's not a case.

Also, moving a player out of an important position for an objectively worse player does not make any sense. Further, it's a huge, unnecessary gamble to have that player, who also happens to be the highest paid at the club, transition to a completely new position he hasn't played a single minute in, ever.
If I was the head of recruitment and retention at this club I'd be doing the exact opposite of what you have to say.

I have not met a single person that has been a poorer judge of talent in my entire life.

So please excuse me if I don't give a rat's ass what you have to say on the matter.

Christ almighty. From the guy that swore Bellamy was dud coach for a decade :lol:

**** you're weak. Can't even debate an opinion without turning to take things personally, every single time. Didn't you have me on ignore too?

You're on a lonely island right now with this ridiculous proposal here bud. It's never going to happen. I don't think the club has gone with a single one of these bat **** crazy ideas touted by you over the years.

Don't know what else to say to you, aside from maybe addressing the myriad of personal issues you seem to have.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Has anyone ever won the Dally M medal then not polled a single point the following season, barring major injury/retirement? I was gobsmacked when Blake Austin won five-eighth of the year (2015) and then didn't poll a single point the following year, in which we made a prelim. Wighton's trash form this year is next level.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:48 pm
Botman wrote:

I concur

Wighton is a wonderful footballer. He was crucial to our 2019 Grand Final run. There is no way we should be letting that talent walk.

However, this season he has been without a doubt the worst performing State of Origin level player I have ever seen. He is just about the worst 5/8 on form in the comp. It's a miracle we are in the top 8 with a makeshift fullback, Wighton and Williams in our spine.

So, I want him somewhere in our lineup. I don't give a **** where that is, but not in the halves any more. We also need someone to replace Whitehead.

Would I have taken a punt on Milford to do so. Yeah, yeah I would have. But we didn't.

Jack is a talent no doubt and I think he will find form at 6 before long. If he doesn’t yeah I think he is a better option than what we have in most other backline positions and wouldn’t doubt he go ok in the back row. But the point is he is on a contract well beyond what he can offer in those positions. I doubt he would be open to a pay cut so if he isn’t a half then the only real option is pay freight and fork out for a replacement half.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Finchy wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:52 pm Has anyone ever won the Dally M medal then not polled a single point the following season, barring major injury/retirement? I was gobsmacked when Blake Austin won five-eighth of the year (2015) and then didn't poll a single point the following year, in which we made a prelim. Wighton's trash form this year is next level.
Harsh on Austin.

Those injuries in 2016 seemed to affect him, and leave him just short of a gallop in the ensuing years. His role also changed, dictated by the lethal combination Leilua and Rapana had struck up, with Whitehead as supporting cast. It wasn't in the benefit of the team to have him go alone with the ball that year, as much as he did in 2015.

Wighton's been affected by the team, fitness, and incredibly negative coaching, but his poor form has far exceeded the limitations those factors have put on him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: August 8, 2021, 9:52 pm Has anyone ever won the Dally M medal then not polled a single point the following season, barring major injury/retirement? I was gobsmacked when Blake Austin won five-eighth of the year (2015) and then didn't poll a single point the following year, in which we made a prelim. Wighton's trash form this year is next level.
I think i've said it on this site before, but if not i've said it to mates... his performance this year on the back of Dally M medal is historic in its fall from grace
I mean i didnt really think he was the best player in the game last year and him winning was to me a bit of a confirmation that the Dally M's is a deeply flawed system. But even if you think he shouldnt have won, his last 2019-2020 seasons were of a quality where being in that conversation was warrented

This yeear he's fallen right off. He's really been awful.
Austin's wasnt as surprising to me because it was extremely clear early on that he didnt have another move or level to go to. Wighton has that game changing level at his best in games that matter. Austin never had it. Flat track bully im afraid. Which is very sad for me because i loved the talent when we signed him. He's probably found his niche in the ESL
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Allan Langer 1996 and Andrew Johns 2002. Neither retired or were injured but neither polled a vote the following year either. BUT that was only because it wasn’t awarded in 1997 due to the SuperLeague war or in 2003 due to industrial action. I’m sure both probably backed up with good form and yeah I reckon Jacks fall from grace is unprecedented!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I'm not sure that IF we signed Brown it would be to move on from Wighton at 6. It would be to play Brown at 7....wouldn't it?

Whether that is a good move is up for debate.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

benda wrote: August 8, 2021, 7:48 pm Aiden Sezer would be good. Made the gf with him. We let him go on the rise.
on the rise?
He's currently leading around a superleague side to 9th place in a 12 team inferior comp.

we made the GF with in form Leipana, Bateman, Cotric, Wighton, CNK, Tapine, and Papalii single handedly dominating every other forward pack, Sezer was the definition of a passenger then and is likely even worse now, had we had a decent halfback we'd have won the GF imo
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We should have won if with him. But BJ is BJ, we lived and died by that sword.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

kiwi raider wrote: August 9, 2021, 8:58 am
benda wrote: August 8, 2021, 7:48 pm Aiden Sezer would be good. Made the gf with him. We let him go on the rise.
on the rise?
He's currently leading around a superleague side to 9th place in a 12 team inferior comp.

we made the GF with in form Leipana, Bateman, Cotric, Wighton, CNK, Tapine, and Papalii single handedly dominating every other forward pack, Sezer was the definition of a passenger then and is likely even worse now, had we had a decent halfback we'd have won the GF imo
What options do we have now that are better than what we had with Sezer?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows

Post by greeneyed »

Tough conversations coming for senior Canberra stars as interest grows in Parramatta young gun Dylan Brown

A huge player clean out is about to get underway at the Canberra Raiders with some tough conversations coming for some of the club’s biggest names. Dunamis Lui, Sia Soliola, Siliva Havili and Caleb Aekins are all off contract. Havili has signed with South Sydney.

Meanwhile Parramatta’s Dylan Brown remains the player at the top of the Raiders’ wish list as a potential halves partner for Jack Wighton, if not for next year than 2023 and beyond. Every available option will be looked at seriously in the coming weeks, and that also includes names such as Mitchell Pearce, Luke Brooks and Ash Taylor.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 245f11da7b

Disappointing Raiders can't take same roster into 2022: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/02/ ... into-2022/

South Sydney are set to make a play for off-contract Raiders’ hooker Siliva Havili in a bid to bolster their depth at hooker for 2022: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f22ec0c763
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows

Post by Azza »

Christ. Brown? :?
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows, while Havili off to Rabbitohs

Post by Raider_Boy »

No no no no no
Member #6381
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows, while Havili off to Rabbitohs

Post by Northern Raider »

Can't say I'm a fan if this. Brown is an OK player. Unfortunately doesn't bring the attributes we need from a halfback.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

This would be a woeful coaching/recruiting decision and would show Ricky's judgment on halves is very poor. In fact he needs to take some responsibility for having Williams/Frawley as backups instead of developing young players as say Sharks have with Trindall and Metcalf
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Brown has a lot of potential but he’s not what we need.
The raiders need a organiser to be along side wighton !! Blind **** Freddy can see that.
If that means Pearce for a season as a stop gap then fine but the others can **** right off
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Good luck Havili at Souths, I was always a fan, I hope he can get more game time
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Take Brown in a heart beat. Offers more attack than anyone on the current roster.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It gets worse and worse

Dumb and dumber
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I know halves are relatively interchangeable these days, but Brown is a runner not an organiser

We need an organiser

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Green Machine wrote: September 3, 2021, 6:49 pm Take Brown in a heart beat. Offers more attack than anyone on the current roster.
I invite you to watch any Parramatta game this year. For a bonus, if you can stomach it, the ones without Moses
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I’ve been backing Hodgo to 7 in light of the lack of options but his inclusion in that list, which otherwise comprises certainties for leaving (other than Toots though all signs point to him retiring) indicates he is more likely to go than I’d hoped.

Given that, we have to sign someone. We cannot go into 2022 with Sam, Frawley and Schneider unless Schneider has become a genuine starter since his cameo earlier in the year.

This puts us in the unenviable situation of not having the luxury of being choosy. Brown isn’t a good fit style-wise but Pearce isn’t coming so that means we’re looking at Brooks or Taylor.

Brown is easily better than those two. Again, not in fit for our team but he’s tough, is an excellent defender and can attack. I’d rather a bad fit than carry proven a underperformer who’ll frustrate us with his weak defence, the games he goes missing and his inconsistency.

Taylor and Brooks would get dropped at some point next year if they came.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:10 pm
Brown is easily better than those two. Again, not in fit for our team but he’s tough, is an excellent defender and can attack. I’d rather a bad fit than carry proven a underperformer who’ll frustrate us with his weak defence, the games he goes missing and his inconsistency.
He can attack? I don't think so. Certainly can't playmake. But tough, excellent defender, gritty... sounds like a good candidate for Rickyball and that Ricky hasn't learned his lesson
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If we were signing Dylan Brown AND Mitchell Pearce that might be a plan. Buys a couple of years to find an organising half. I don’t think we have one inside the club, but I’d be pleased if Schneider could prove that wrong. Frees up Wighton for a role as a strike lock/back rower or maybe at centre. Hodgson should be moved on, in my view. He is past his best, he seems at odds with the club, publicly, is taking up a lot of dollars… and presently isn’t our best hooker. He doesn’t gel well with the halves, he takes too much control, and some of the play making is pretty awful. I’ll be surprised if Jarrod doesn’t retire, and if he does, he’ll have a place in our history as one of the greatest Raiders.

On the list of the unsigned, we can be pretty sure that Soliola will retire and Lui won’t be renewed. And we know Aekins and Havili are leaving. Those are good decisions from the club.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It maybe that Dylan Brown comes here and with extra responsbility he grows an extra leg and ends up amazing... but i would suggest it's highly unlikely.

Dylan Brown is a player who has so far in his career shown to have virtually no creative quivvers in his bow. He hasn't shown any ability to ball play, he's been ordinary to terrible any time he's forced into being a primary kicker, be it for territory or attacking kicks, he's not a difference maker as a ball runner. Frawley and Williams are objectively better creators than he is (not players overall, creators)

He's a good NRL footballer, im not saying the guy isnt talented or shouldnt be in FG. There is a role for this sort of player at many clubs where they have a lot of creative spark and energy in other spine positions, and who are well coached so their players know their roles and play within them. If you want a player who will support the ball carrier, is an OK ball runner, who will get the ball out nice and early to his ball playing fullback and will stump up and make his tackles, then he's a perfectly cromulant player.

Is he a better player than we currently have rostered for the #7 jersey right now? Absolutely. No doubt about that.
But he is not the player we need stylistically. He and wighton paired, especially with no ball playing in the fullback role at this point, would be a death sentence for our football team imo. I dont care who you have coaching them, you could get peak Mick Crawley back here, mate him with Tim Sheens and their love child is extremely unlikely to get points out of CNK-Wighton-Brown at the attacking fulcrum

The only way it works is if Wighton is moving out of the halves... to which i say, with Brown at 5/8th, no halfback and Wighton playing in the lock position, we've done nothing more than shuffle deck chairs on the titanic and probably compromised our cap flexibility in doing so
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:18 pm If we were signing Dylan Brown AND Mitchell Pearce that might be a plan. Buys a couple of years to find an organising half. I don’t think we have one inside the club, but I’d be pleased if Schneider could prove that wrong. Frees up Wighton for a role as a strike lock/back rower or maybe at centre. Hodgson should be moved on, in my view. He is past his best, he seems at odds with the club, publicly, is taking up a lot of dollars… and presently isn’t our best hooker. He doesn’t gel well with the halves, he takes too much control, and some of the play making is pretty awful. I’ll be surprised if Jarrod doesn’t retire, and if he does, he’ll have a place in our history as one of the greatest Raiders.

On the list of the unsigned, we can be pretty sure that Soliola will retire and Lui won’t be renewed. And we know Aekins and Havili are leaving. Those are good decisions from the club.
Would love to see this.

1. Wighton/CNK
6. Brown
7. Pearce
9. Starling
13. Hodgson/Wighton
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

Ah. That's a no. Surely there is a better option

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Ricky Stuart is planning on again having two running halves, with Hodgson an extra play maker in the back row, with Starling coming on after 20 minutes… I don’t think that’s going to work. Hodgson is a shadow of his former self. And we need a genuine playmaker, not a hooker taking on the role and crowding others out.