Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:33 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:26 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:21 pm Brown went well tonight- I’ll allow it
Really? I don't think he did enough. Parra had enough ball to win at the back end of that game, and also in the first half.

Good for a mid table team, not a top 4 team
Yeah he wasn’t a super star but he wasn’t horrible. It’s a slim market- has he got improvement in him?
He wasn't horrible and had some good points. My point is - why doesn't he take on the line more and use his left foot step when the game is one the line. I think someone like Burton is a better player than him and has a good kicking game as well.

As to the market - it's all about price
Commentators raved about Edwards tonight- I thought we was pretty average to be honest. I didn’t think Brown was much behind any other half on the field
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:47 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:21 pm Brown went well tonight- I’ll allow it
Really? I don't think he did enough. Parra had enough ball to win at the back end of that game, and also in the first half.

Yeah he wasn’t a super star but he wasn’t horrible. It’s a slim market- has he got improvement in him?
He wasn't horrible and had some good points. My point is - why doesn't he take on the line more and use his left foot step when the game is one the line. I think someone like Burton is a better player than him and has a good kicking game as well.

As to the market - it's all about price
Commentators raved about Edwards tonight- I thought we was pretty average to be honest. I didn’t think Brown was much behind any other half on the field
Edwards made a lot of metres on the kick returns and he was lurking off the ruck in the middle. He was OK but he's not my type of fullback. I thought Gutherson was better than him tonight. I thought Haze Dunster and Ferguson were good.

Luai's form has deteriorated. Moses ran too often on the 5th tackle, leading to Brown having to kick on the last. Not too many troubles there for Penrith. Cleary played well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree - Dunster was quite good. Gutho had a good crack. Crichton isn’t used enough on the wing. Luai seems down on confidence- his early kick on an attacking set was a bad call. Penrith will need to lift for next week
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

No tries, line breaks, assists of any kind, nor looked like making any... was completely irrelevant out there... he could be the single most passive and passenger half I've ever seen

Michael Ennis commented a few times about wanting to see Brown step up... I read a bit into those comments actually. It shows he thinks Brown has talent. I don't think it's too long a bow to draw, to think that might be the general Raiders HQ belief
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I thought he played well. His kicks were more testing, solid defence and looked dangerous at times with his speed. And he did this against quality opposition. not saying he is the answer just saying he played well yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the objective is to play Grindball, then Brown did his job out there. I didn’t think he demonstrated an ability to be your leading, organising half. Not much threat in attack, not much organisation. Makes tackles. None of the Eels playmakers showed they had enough spark to break down the Panthers defence. The only try they got was from a kick and a defusal error.

I suspect Ricky Stuart had the Raiders playing all season with last night’s game in mind. That this is “how you play” in the finals. But the Eels, like the Raiders, ultimately came up short. Not enough options in attack. Not enough threat. Not enough adaptability. The style of game worked well once for the Raiders this year… against the Eels. Against the Sea Eagles and Storm, it wasn’t enough. And not enough to even get to the finals.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:01 am If the objective is to play Grindball, then Brown did his job out there. I didn’t think he demonstrated an ability to be your leading, organising half. Not much threat in attack, not much organisation. Makes tackles. None of the Eels playmakers showed they had enough spark to break down the Panthers defence. The only try they got was from a kick and a defusal error.

I suspect Ricky Stuart had the Raiders playing all season with last night’s game in mind. That this is “how you play” in the finals. But the Eels, like the Raiders, ultimately came up short. Not enough options in attack. Not enough threat. Not enough adaptability. The style of game worked well once for the Raiders this year… against the Eels. Against the Sea Eagles and Storm, it wasn’t enough. And not enough to even get to the finals.
Yeah I think betting all your chips on winning a grind is a losing play more often than not, under these rules. Because good teams will a) outgrind you sometimes or have key halves to steer well in the tight ones and b) the good teams in Valndy's ball don't only win by grinding, they can pour points on quick in a devastating burst if they get a sniff.

So I just think it leaves you very few avenues to win- game has to play and out be reffed as a grind, relies on the other team not being able to "click" that day. The top teams now must be able to do both.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think grinding with a good pack and a good defence can take care of the bottom pack of teams... it can increase your floor but also lower your ceiling imo. But yeah exactly, the good teams (Melbourne, Souths) are doing both, so you're always playing from behind if you only grind. Or, you just hope the opposition also decides to grind, like us vs Eels

Penrith is a strange case, they seem to have opted for the grind for the finals, or they could just be out of form... hard to tell
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:01 am If the objective is to play Grindball, then Brown did his job out there. I didn’t think he demonstrated an ability to be your leading, organising half. Not much threat in attack, not much organisation. Makes tackles. None of the Eels playmakers showed they had enough spark to break down the Panthers defence. The only try they got was from a kick and a defusal error.

I think that is complete, utter nonsense. Picking para as an example of a team that has similar limitations to us just proves how stupid the argument is, that we've struggled because of a lack of play making options. Gutho would have to be one of the most creative full backs in the game. I dare you to find me a more expansive, creative half than Moses. The eels played amazing yesterday and should've beaten a team that was described as unbeatable 2 weeks ago. If Ricky or any other coach is aspiring to play that style of footy each week then we are in good hands. And if you think it was this philosophy that led us to miss the 8, then I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong and are failing to recognise the off field adversity that occurred this year. And before you throw at me the likes of the roosters, who've massively over achieved this year, I'll point out that we did a better job then they did just last year. Not all off field issues have the same impact and this year we managed it poorly and suffered the consequences
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

On the other hand he's 21, obviously a secondary playmaker, and held his own against a team who has won about 90% of their games the past couple of years. Funny how we turn our noses up at these types of players as if they aren't even worth a discussion while trotting out Sam Williams and Matt Frawley.

Big next year or two ahead for Brown as he looks to start having more impact on games. Plays it very conservatively at this point, which I'm sure is the instruction he has been given.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:03 am On the other hand he's 21, obviously a secondary playmaker, and held his own against a team who has won about 90% of their games the past couple of years. Funny how we turn our noses up at these types of players as if they aren't even worth a discussion while trotting out Sam Williams and Matt Frawley.

Big next year or two ahead for Brown as he looks to start having more impact on games. Plays it very conservatively at this point, which I'm sure is the instruction he has been given.
Plays it conservatively? Holding his own? What does that even mean for a half? He still touches the ball plenty, there's plenty of chances for him to show what he can do, and he repeatedly shows nothing. Not even a little bit: actually nothing.

If he does have some secret warchest of talent and he's deliberately holding it back, then Arthur should pack up his bags and never coach again. I think that's unlikely the case though

Not to write him off, either. He is young. But unlike Sam Williams and Frawley etc, people repeatedly talk as if he's got all this latent talent, Michael Ennis included. Where is that presumption coming from
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

FROG wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:57 am I think that is complete, utter nonsense. Picking para as an example of a team that has similar limitations to us just proves how stupid the argument is, that we've struggled because of a lack of play making options. Gutho would have to be one of the most creative full backs in the game. I dare you to find me a more expansive, creative half than Moses. The eels played amazing yesterday and should've beaten a team that was described as unbeatable 2 weeks ago. If Ricky or any other coach is aspiring to play that style of footy each week then we are in good hands. And if you think it was this philosophy that led us to miss the 8, then I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong and are failing to recognise the off field adversity that occurred this year. And before you throw at me the likes of the roosters, who've massively over achieved this year, I'll point out that we did a better job then they did just last year. Not all off field issues have the same impact and this year we managed it poorly and suffered the consequences
Ok you are pro-grind, noted
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:57 am

I think that is complete, utter nonsense. Picking para as an example of a team that has similar limitations to us just proves how stupid the argument is, that we've struggled because of a lack of play making options. Gutho would have to be one of the most creative full backs in the game. I dare you to find me a more expansive, creative half than Moses. The eels played amazing yesterday and should've beaten a team that was described as unbeatable 2 weeks ago. If Ricky or any other coach is aspiring to play that style of footy each week then we are in good hands. And if you think it was this philosophy that led us to miss the 8, then I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong and are failing to recognise the off field adversity that occurred this year. And before you throw at me the likes of the roosters, who've massively over achieved this year, I'll point out that we did a better job then they did just last year. Not all off field issues have the same impact and this year we managed it poorly and suffered the consequences
I'm not sure it was complete and utter nonsense. Maybe just nonsense?

I do recognise the impact off field adversity and injury. But I agree we managed the off field issues poorly.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:27 am I think grinding with a good pack and a good defence can take care of the bottom pack of teams... it can increase your floor but also lower your ceiling imo. But yeah exactly, the good teams (Melbourne, Souths) are doing both, so you're always playing from behind if you only grind. Or, you just hope the opposition also decides to grind, like us vs Eels

Penrith is a strange case, they seem to have opted for the grind for the finals, or they could just be out of form... hard to tell
Penrith are interesting- I think it was Cronk that said to win premierships you need to be able to win various ways, but agree it is hard to tell if that style of grind last night was what they felt was needed or due to an attack that has lost form at the wrong time. Cronk also said after the pressure of last year’s failure in the big dance then having to go the long way around after being rolled by the rabbits he didn’t think they had it in them. Will be interesting to see how it goes. A lot to like about how they have played all season but geez there are a few wobbly wheels now. Kikau is MIA for a start and they need him!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:39 am

I do recognise the impact off field adversity and injury. But I agree we managed the off field issues poorly.
No doubt we had off field adversity this year but you do have to question where we are at with our attack. Watching Saab streak away the other night made me think about days past when Nagas, Mullins and co could torch a team from anywhere. It feels to me a high proportion of our tries are crash balls, kicks or backline movements that start from a play the ball in our attacking 20. Hoping Savage is the start of the much needed speed and we adopt a more expansive creative game to accompany.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:27 am I think grinding with a good pack and a good defence can take care of the bottom pack of teams... it can increase your floor but also lower your ceiling imo. But yeah exactly, the good teams (Melbourne, Souths) are doing both, so you're always playing from behind if you only grind. Or, you just hope the opposition also decides to grind, like us vs Eels

Penrith are interesting- I think it was Cronk that said to win premierships you need to be able to win various ways, but agree it is hard to tell if that style of grind last night was what they felt was needed or due to an attack that has lost form at the wrong time. Cronk also said after the pressure of last year’s failure in the big dance then having to go the long way around after being rolled by the rabbits he didn’t think they had it in them. Will be interesting to see how it goes. A lot to like about how they have played all season but geez there are a few wobbly wheels now. Kikau is MIA for a start and they need him!
Kikau isn't playing well but he isn't the problem. They've got absolutely no 'go-forward'. I said it at the start of the year - they let Tamou and Tetevano go and didn'treally replace them.. JFH was the best prop last year but he cannot single-handedly carry the forward pack. He looks to be carrying an injury too. Yeo is their only middle who looks threatening at all.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Canberra Milk wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:12 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:03 am On the other hand he's 21, obviously a secondary playmaker, and held his own against a team who has won about 90% of their games the past couple of years. Funny how we turn our noses up at these types of players as if they aren't even worth a discussion while trotting out Sam Williams and Matt Frawley.

Plays it conservatively? Holding his own? What does that even mean for a half? He still touches the ball plenty, there's plenty of chances for him to show what he can do, and he repeatedly shows nothing. Not even a little bit: actually nothing.

If he does have some secret warchest of talent and he's deliberately holding it back, then Arthur should pack up his bags and never coach again. I think that's unlikely the case though

Not to write him off, either. He is young. But unlike Sam Williams and Frawley etc, people repeatedly talk as if he's got all this latent talent, Michael Ennis included. Where is that presumption coming from
Just means while he added little out there in attack last night he also wasn't error prone, or stunting the attack. Reminds me of Michael Cornish in how he plays way before the line, needs to work on engaging the line. Solid in defence. In the modern game I reckon that's about all you can ask from the bottom third of halves around. I'd be writing him off if he was 25, but there's still potential there.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:12 am

I that stuff
Holding his own is all brown did. He made his tackles, gave the ball to others to try to make a play.

He did absolutely nothing that helped put another player into a good spot, he created absolutely nothing and frankly you could have replacement him in that line up with Lachlan Lewis, who is also a solid defender and you might not have noticed the difference

It beggars belief that anyone could watch that performance and think he’s worth the risk given the cost he’d have to come at. I just don’t know what games people are watching at times

He’s young and could improve. Not writing him off at all, the simply reality here is signing him would be a major projection based on perception, not based on a single minute of his nrl football career. Paying what he’ll cost for a player you’re projecting to be better in a different role when he hasn’t shown to have a creative bone in his body in 50 full games or NRL would be a HUGE risk
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:03 am

On the other hand he's 21, obviously a secondary playmaker, and held his own against a team who has won about 90% of their games the past couple of years. Funny how we turn our noses up at these types of players as if they aren't even worth a discussion while trotting out Sam Williams and Matt Frawley.

I think the issue is wasting 800k+ a year on someone that doesn’t do what we need them to (be an organising half with attacking ability) and offers little more than a defensive upgrade on what a bottom-dollar Sam Williams costs. To be honest I don’t see him offering much more than what a bottom-dollar Matt Frawley does. He defends just as well. If you’re going to throw 800k+ at a half, they sure as hell should show some ability.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Finchy wrote: September 19, 2021, 11:21 am

I think the issue is wasting 800k+ a year on someone that doesn’t do what we need them to (be an organising half with attacking ability) and offers little more than a defensive upgrade on what a bottom-dollar Sam Williams costs. To be honest I don’t see him offering much more than what a bottom-dollar Matt Frawley does. He defends just as well. If you’re going to throw 800k+ at a half, they sure as hell should show some ability.
At 800k+ absolutely not. I can't imagine Parra will pay him that though.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 19, 2021, 11:41 am
Finchy wrote: September 19, 2021, 11:21 am

At 800k+ absolutely not. I can't imagine Parra will pay him that though.
Parra won’t. We would have to though. Canberra tax.

Even then, I doubt he’d suit the Canberra lifestyle.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t think we’d have to pay him 800k+
But he’s also not coming here for less than 650k and that’s massive overs for a player who’s shown as little as he has in the areas we would be expecting him to try and fix
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He’s also already said he’s going nowhere.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2021, 10:39 am

No doubt we had off field adversity this year but you do have to question where we are at with our attack. Watching Saab streak away the other night made me think about days past when Nagas, Mullins and co could torch a team from anywhere. It feels to me a high proportion of our tries are crash balls, kicks or backline movements that start from a play the ball in our attacking 20. Hoping Savage is the start of the much needed speed and we adopt a more expansive creative game to accompany.
Billy mate. You don't need to go back to the Nagas and Mullins days. You only have to consider 2018 when until the last week when the bunnies over took us we were going to be the first team in history to have the best attack and not make the finals. I am indeed pro grind because it wins big games and wins premierships, which I thought is what we all wanted

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No good having a game that wins finals if you don’t make them.

I think it’s very debatable that grind wins finals in the new paradigm, even if they are grindier than regular season.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Jack will not be moving from the left so it means Brown would have to switch to the right. I don't know what side of the park Brown played his junior footy. If it was on the right then he likely won't have much problem in adapting. Perhaps if given the reins to run the side then he would show more. I think the Eels were hampered at dummy half last night.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is the interest in Dylan Brown still growing ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Having zero knowledge of the ins and outs here, I can honestly say that interest is not growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:02 am Is the interest in Dylan Brown still growing ?
I hope not.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

With the possible Fogarty signing I'd say the interest is Dylan Brown has been put into hibernation. The next couple of days will be interesting for the Raiders.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

RedRaider wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:44 pm With the possible Fogarty signing I'd say the interest is Dylan Brown has been put into hibernation. The next couple of days will be interesting for the Raiders.
He doesn't want to come here anyway. He's a party boy and single. It was unlikely from the start. Plus I cannot imagine him and Jack combining well.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:28 am
-PJ- wrote: September 22, 2021, 8:02 am Is the interest in Dylan Brown still growing ?
I hope not.
I think we’re safe.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: September 19, 2021, 12:46 pm Billy mate. You don't need to go back to the Nagas and Mullins days. You only have to consider 2018 when until the last week when the bunnies over took us we were going to be the first team in history to have the best attack and not make the finals. I am indeed pro grind because it wins big games and wins premierships, which I thought is what we all wanted

You can't just grind anymore- which is how we were set up and tried to play.

the fact we lost two "big games" to teams who absolutely blew us off the park with attacking footy when they got the chance, just ended the fight with a scoring blitz- Melbourne semi + Penrith game, show that you can indeed win "big games" with attack.

And that if you can't you leave yourself a few avenues shorter of winning. Both those teams can grind too- they kick a lot better than us. Trying to play grind ball with a godawful kicking game and no ability /willingness to punish mistakes with speed and quick spreads (crash ball after a break anyone? I'll vomit if I see Hodgo throw another one) is not a winning formula vs top opposition anymore.

Some games DO turn into a grind. But just as often- it might be a period of grind and then open up for a period of opportunity, whne you NEED to be willing and able to capitalise- more rarely just a chance to blow someone away early with a great start (see Melbourne).
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You're not going to win a premiership under these rules unless you've got the ability to put on 24-30+ points regularly.
In those moments in the game where you get a run of 10-15 minutes of solid possession and field position, you have to be able to turn that into 18 points. Coming away from those moments with 6 or 4, or in many cases for us 2 is simply not good enough to keep up. Because when you play the roosters, storm, panthers, souths, manly etc... they're using the footy out of their own end scoring long range tries and they're so efficient in the red zone that they only 5-8 cracks at your line to put up 20 points. We have to be able to match that if we're going to win a premiership.

HOWEVER I'm going to issue my usual PSA here:

A reminder to all, particularly @FROG ... i assure you, i've checked the rule book back to front. There is no rule saying we can't be good in attack and still be a stout and tough defensive team! We're allow to be both.

The storm and panthers are the two best defensive teams in the league, they ain't go no problem in attack. We can and should strive to be a free flowing, aggressive and efficient attacking football team that can hold up on our own line as long as feasible in the new age of football.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

BadnMean wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:42 am
FROG wrote: September 19, 2021, 12:46 pm Billy mate. You don't need to go back to the Nagas and Mullins days. You only have to consider 2018 when until the last week when the bunnies over took us we were going to be the first team in history to have the best attack and not make the finals. I am indeed pro grind because it wins big games and wins premierships, which I thought is what we all wanted

You can't just grind anymore- which is how we were set up and tried to play.

the fact we lost two "big games" to teams who absolutely blew us off the park with attacking footy when they got the chance, just ended the fight with a scoring blitz- Melbourne semi + Penrith game, show that you can indeed win "big games" with attack.

And that if you can't you leave yourself a few avenues shorter of winning. Both those teams can grind too- they kick a lot better than us. Trying to play grind ball with a godawful kicking game and no ability /willingness to punish mistakes with speed and quick spreads (crash ball after a break anyone? I'll vomit if I see Hodgo throw another one) is not a winning formula vs top opposition anymore.

Some games DO turn into a grind. But just as often- it might be a period of grind and then open up for a period of opportunity, whne you NEED to be willing and able to capitalise- more rarely just a chance to blow someone away early with a great start (see Melbourne).
Staunch defence supporters will just say we lost to Penrith and Melbourne due to our poor defence, so you can't really win with them

What you're saying is abundantly true though. The only real excuse for a grind game is if you simply "don't have the cattle" to play expansive, which was Matt Elliott's old excuse (and one I didn't agree with). But as a coach, you should be developing skills in your players at training and signing players with skills, to avoid having to do that. You can't deliberately sign all these middles and play two running halves, then cry poor that you don't have the cattle to play expansive