No votes
Roosters 13+
15%

Total votes: 13

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: 2021 Rd 25 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'm not going to go all masochistic and read back much though the thread, but is there a consensus that maybe the Roosters spent a pretty strategic 40 grand earlier this week? I mean, all and every call that wasn't incontrovertible seemed to go the Roosters way. Not that it would have changed the result. Maybe.

But there were an awful lot of calls... I hope fans of the two grand final teams are comfortable with Sutton, because he's the MAN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders' season ended by injury-ravaged Sydney Roosters

The Canberra Raiders' 40-16 loss to the Sydney Roosters at Mackay on Thursday night means they need some extraordinary results to go their way to make it to the NRL finals. They'd need Cronulla to lose to the Melbourne Storm by at least 74 points on Friday night and the New Zealand Warriors to beat Gold Coast on Sunday to sneak into the eight.

It could mark the final game for Raiders hero Sia Soliola - the 35-year-old's off-contract after 346 senior games across the NRL and the English Super League.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 40 (Adam Keighran 3, Matt Ikuvalu, Angus Crichton, Ben Marschke, Lachlan Lam tries; Adam Keighran 4, Siosiua Taukeiaho 2 goals) bt CANBERRA RAIDERS 16 (Elliott Whitehead, Josh Papalii, Harley Smith-Shields tries; Jordan Rapana 2 goals) at Mackay. Referee: Gerard Sutton.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders didn't deserve to be in finals hunt: Ricky Stuart

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says they didn't deserve to still be in the NRL finals race, admitting the messy mid-season exit of halfback George Williams affected the club.

"It's an empty feeling, it's a shocking feeling, because I think we're a better team than where we've ended up on the table," Stuart said. "But we are where we are. And that's all because of the middle part of the season where we had a really bad slump.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Stuart laments 'dreadful' attack as Raiders crash out: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/02/stu ... crash-out/

VIDEO: Costly slump: Stuart points out poor mid-season form: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/02/cos ... ason-form/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders' season ended by injury-ravaged Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/02/rai ... -roosters/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders bow out after loss to Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/09 ... -roosters/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/02/mat ... -roosters/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... d-25-2021/

Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-25/

Trent Robinson: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-25/

Sloppy Raiders’ final fade out ends season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8fda231afd

Raiders blow top-eight chance: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0f60198787

‘**** it if we couldn’t beat that team’: Frustrated Ricky’s Williams admission as Raiders bow out: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 87dbd67f84
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

scooter wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:25 pm
Seamonkey wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:17 pm Season review should be interesting

- Gwilly plays like a plodder and leaves in a saga
- Croker regresses exponentially
- Papa gets rested with bizarre explanations
- Tapine's partner loses it at the coach on instagram
- Scott screws up again and gets sacked
- Hodgo regresses then ends up in awkward back and forths about the club in press conferences
- Bateman chimes in and has a dig from the other side of the world
- Get questioned weekly by commentary teams on bench use and game plans
- Don't sign a single new recruit for the next season

Most coaches write books on building successful clubs, this could be a novel on how to decimate one.
Not true! The secret to onfield success is to do the exact opposite of everything we did. Now that's a guaranteed bestseller!
Not a bad idea. The only problem is we can't use this method on ourselves, at least when it comes to recruitment, selections and training techniques
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Gee Ricky comes across as extremely abrasive in that presser. That's why I don't buy it when he plays the nice guy angle, "having a beer with Des" etc

I'm glad he called out the poor attack though
scooter
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by scooter »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:51 pm I'm not going to go all masochistic and read back much though the thread, but is there a consensus that maybe the Roosters spent a pretty strategic 40 grand earlier this week? I mean, all and every call that wasn't incontrovertible seemed to go the Roosters way. Not that it would have changed the result. Maybe.

But there were an awful lot of calls... I hope fans of the two grand final teams are comfortable with Sutton, because he's the MAN
For the sake of the integrity of the game, let's hope that wasn't the case, but one couldn't help but feel that the refereeing was strangely lopsided, especially in the first half.

Surely biased officiating was NOT necessary at all. Everyone knows that we are more than capable of shooting ourselves in the foot and throwing away games all on our own.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote:I'm not going to go all masochistic and read back much though the thread, but is there a consensus that maybe the Roosters spent a pretty strategic 40 grand earlier this week? I mean, all and every call that wasn't incontrovertible seemed to go the Roosters way. Not that it would have changed the result. Maybe.

We were awful but the refereeing was ordinary at best.

Hard not to be cynical about the latitude the Roosters got in that game.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Not_Easy_Being_Green
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Not_Easy_Being_Green »

Concur with a lot said on here tonight.

Terrible, terrible year.

I used to crack it with Charnze hogging the ball but my goodness some of the passes from him were woeful tonight.

Start looking for a new halves pairing.
Jack back to the centres. He can always do a job in 6 of called upon but we won't win a comp with him being there.
Charnze to the wing
Croker, Hodgson, Soliola, Williams, Horsburgh, to move on clearing up some serious salary cap space.
Sutton is a prop.
Hodgso is no longer the player he was and it started after his sternum injury a couple of years back.
Need to seriously invest in a new 6,7,13,2 and another backup 9.
Savage to 1. Hes the real deal but maybe start off as 2.
Tapine found some good form at the back end but he needs to look in the mirror and ask himself if he wants to be there or move on.
Schneider backup half-back.
Papa to have a haircut.
Semi to go back to reggies footy and develop his game.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Best presser all year.

Shocked he said he would choose semi again in first grade next week, lucky we’re not playing

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Ricky didn’t want to be in that press conference from the start and then when he realised he swore again, he couldn’t get out quick enough.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

A fitting end. Tapine and Papa made us look competitive for 20 minutes, as soon as they went off we showed again that we're nowhere near good enough this season.

It wasn't just a bad year, it was a completely wasted one. We've invested so much time in players and tactics that are clearly beyond their use by date, just to finish 9th. Without wishing to be too negative, right now it's hard to see a route by which that's addressed over the off season - either with the players we have or by recruitment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Finchy wrote:Considering I don’t believe Croker’s dodgy knee is actually bad enough to keep him out (I reckon it’s more form related) I’m surprised Ricky didn’t slot him in in place of Kris. We may need the goal kicking. Can’t bode well for his future that he can’t make the side over any rookies these days, even when half of them are injured and our season is on the line and the result could come down to goal kicking.
He wasn’t in the initial squad of 21. He couldn’t have been selected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:15 am
Finchy wrote:Considering I don’t believe Croker’s dodgy knee is actually bad enough to keep him out (I reckon it’s more form related) I’m surprised Ricky didn’t slot him in in place of Kris. We may need the goal kicking. Can’t bode well for his future that he can’t make the side over any rookies these days, even when half of them are injured and our season is on the line and the result could come down to goal kicking.

Ah yes, raidersakter mentioned that too, my bad.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Seamonkey wrote: September 2, 2021, 10:17 pm Season review should be interesting

- Gwilly plays like a plodder and leaves in a saga
- Croker regresses exponentially
- Papa gets rested with bizarre explanations
- Tapine's partner loses it at the coach on instagram
- Scott screws up again and gets sacked
- Hodgo regresses then ends up in awkward back and forths about the club in press conferences
- Bateman chimes in and has a dig from the other side of the world
- Get questioned weekly by commentary teams on bench use and game plans
- Don't sign a single new recruit for the next season

Most coaches write books on building successful clubs, this could be a novel on how to decimate one.
“Brilliant”
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Finchy wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:26 am

I read somewhere that with one of his knees it's a bone on bone situation.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

I'd be really interested to see some stats around the point where we completely **** the bed every game. It feels like we are competitive for the first 30-35 mins and then the wheels fall off. Very similar to a few seasons back where we would be rolling through the middle with Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo, but as soon as their stint ended we would lose all momentum and start leaking points.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

25 rounds in and we are still playing like a bunch of strangers who only met on the team bus on the way to the game.

Where is there ANY evidence of coaching to improve this side over the last 25 rounds?

Rick - you can make all the excuses in the world, but until this club admits YOU are the problem and takes tough action, we are going to be also-rans.

But irrespective of the results, we will also continue be one of the worst teams in the comp to watch with this stone-aged, pig-headed coaching. Thanks Rick, this is by far the worst season I have endured as a Raiders fan, your awful brand of football has brought me almost zero joy.

My 33 years of membership is coming to an end, tonight. No regrets - I can’t support this buffoon and his protection racket of cronies any longer.
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

2022: 40th Birthday. I’m guessing we can honor 1982 by finishing last…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

HoraceBigCigar wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:04 am 2022: 40th Birthday. I’m guessing we can honor 1982 by finishing last…
82 we were the worst performing team in the competition but the club had the systems, vision and management in place to build success within 10 years. 22 we won’t finish last but I’d argue we are in a lot worse of a position because we have a poor CEO, an average coach and weak systems and culture in the club.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: September 3, 2021, 6:43 am 25 rounds in and we are still playing like a bunch of strangers who only met on the team bus on the way to the game.

Where is there ANY evidence of coaching to improve this side over the last 25 rounds?

Rick - you can make all the excuses in the world, but until this club admits YOU are the problem and takes tough action, we are going to be also-rans.

But irrespective of the results, we will also continue be one of the worst teams in the comp to watch with this stone-aged, pig-headed coaching. Thanks Rick, this is by far the worst season I have endured as a Raiders fan, your awful brand of football has brought me almost zero joy.

My 33 years of membership is coming to an end, tonight. No regrets - I can’t support this buffoon and his protection racket of cronies any longer.
Back of the net for all that!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: September 3, 2021, 6:43 am 25 rounds in and we are still playing like a bunch of strangers who only met on the team bus on the way to the game.

My sentiments exactly.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

“Poor old Semi (Valemei) had a tough night and he is a better player than that. I’d pick him again in first grade next week. That’s not him."

Lol
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Makaveli wrote: September 3, 2021, 8:38 am “Poor old Semi (Valemei) had a tough night and he is a better player than that. I’d pick him again in first grade next week. That’s not him."

Lol
I'm the first one to be irritated by Ricky's press conferences but in his defence here if he came out and rubbished the poor kid in the media that would be most detrimental. More harm than good there and I'm sure that if we did have a game next week there's no chance he gets a look in over Kris or Simo.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: September 3, 2021, 8:17 am

My sentiments exactly.
Agreed. Very depressing to be a Raiders supporter. My only hope - and it's illogical - is that 2014-15 were so bad but we still made the prelim in 2016 and were the second best side that year IMO, and 2017-18 likewise but we made the GF in 2019. But different players now.

Apologies everyone for some inappropriate heated comments on the thread last night, apologies to alphabet who I had a go at.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Semi makes me long for the days of Edrick Lee only dropping a couple of bombs/tries every week.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We are grade A assclowns.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

BadnMean wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:23 am Semi makes me long for the days of Edrick Lee only dropping a couple of bombs/tries every week.
For Semi, it's not just about having a bad game and complaining about his inconsistency, but he's consistently poor in every game and his lack of football smarts. You would expect that last year from a young player but not this year again
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
BadnMean wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:23 am Semi makes me long for the days of Edrick Lee only dropping a couple of bombs/tries every week.
For Semi, it's not just about having a bad game and complaining about his inconsistency, but he's consistently poor in every game and his lack of football smarts. You would expect that last year from a young player but not this year again
he improved markedly last season, unfortunately this year he regressed and didn't string games together in order to improve.

it's time to log off for 4 months and reset.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

bonehead wrote: September 3, 2021, 10:00 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:
he improved markedly last season, unfortunately this year he regressed and didn't string games together in order to improve.

it's time to log off for 4 months and reset.

Yes - you are right. It's been a frustrating year watching the team. Looking forward to the cricket T20 and the Ashes now. Hope we buy a decent half and some other recruits and deal with the underperformers
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

yurithe1 wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:51 am
Finchy wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:26 am

I read somewhere that with one of his knees it's a bone on bone situation.
Again, I have no doubt he has some sort of knee issue, I just don’t think it’s bad enough to stop him from playing. It isn’t strapped, he isn’t hobbling around, he can run on it fine, and kicks goals with it above 90% this year. It seems whenever he has a shocking performance getting ragdolled in defence and attack and gets dropped, the knee issue is always thrown out there, even though there were no signs of it giving him any trouble whatsoever. In fact, it was a shoulder issue and concussion issue which saw him not selected the following week, but then it’s “the knee” which prevents him from being reselected even after the other injuries have been rectified. I think Ricky is just trying to save the captain some embarrassment by peddling the knee excuse instead of admitting he’s not getting selected due to terrible form.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Eerily accurate article. It's as if the writer reads the GH!

The Green Machine was flying towards a title. Now it’s broken, and Ricky must prove he can fix it

Canberra began this season as a grand final contender. After falling to the Roosters in 2019’s decider and then succumbing to the Storm in the 2020 preliminary final, many thought the Green Machine would be able to make it third time lucky.

Instead, they must now pray for the unlikely event that Melbourne obliterate the Sharks by enough points that they fall into the eight. If you’re being honest they don’t deserve to be there. It feels like they have thrown more games away than they have won.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d2a00b107a
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad fined over collision with Matt Ikuvalu

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been charged with grade one dangerous contact after his collision with Matt Ikuvalu during the Green Machine's loss to the Roosters in Mackay. The collision occurred while Ikuvalu was crossing for a try in the corner. Nicoll-Klokstad was put on report and a possible "eight point try" was awarded.

Most commentators believed there was no illegality involved, but the match review committee has issued a charge which carries a fine. Nicoll-Klokstad has a seven year clean record, and has received a 50 per cent discount. He can reduce the $1500 fine to $750 with an early guilty plea.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/03/rou ... y-charges/
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

greeneyed wrote: September 3, 2021, 11:04 am Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad fined over collision with Matt Ikuvalu

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been charged with grade one dangerous contact after his collision with Matt Ikuvalu during the Green Machine's loss to the Roosters in Mackay. The collision occurred while Ikuvalu was crossing for a try in the corner. Nicoll-Klokstad was put on report and a possible "eight point try" was awarded.

Most commentators believed there was no illegality involved, but the match review committee has issued a charge which carries a fine. Nicoll-Klokstad has a seven year clean record, and has received a 50 per cent discount. He can reduce the $1500 fine to $750 with an early guilty plea.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/03/rou ... y-charges/
Good grief what a load of trash.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Seems very inconsistent with the take on Rapas tackle on Siva that won us the game against the eels.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How about Smelly captains challenge ?

Clear evidence shows there was no stripping motion. That went upstairs.

Then…

The video fools saw something completely different.

Seriously, what’s the point ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rapa should be the one wearing a charge not charnze

And Ikavalu not even penalised for his shoulder charge on Hors, really a mind blowing set of rule interpretations

Edrick The Entertainer