2021 Rd 20 V Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Sunday 1 August 1:50pm
Lang Park
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. The chance of fog in the early morning. Sunny day. Winds northerly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light before dawn. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 11 Max 27

The Raiders' clash with the Knights was planned for Saturday - but a COVID lockdown got in the way of that. It's now rescheduled for Sunday afternoon, 1:50pm, at Lang Park, with no crowd in attendance.

Last round: 2021 Round 19. Canberra Raiders 12 - Parramatta Eels 10. It was committed. It was determined. It was courageous. That was rugby league. The Raiders came to tackle - and produced one of their greatest defensive performances. The intent, the aggression and the line speed was like it was in 2019. The Eels had a mountain of possession and territory in the first half, but the Raiders withstood every challenge - with the teams going to the break at nil all. The possession didn't swing in the second half like it often does. But the Raiders simply had more desire to win. Once they took the lead in the second half they never surrendered it. The game was summed up by the last gasp try saver from Jordan Rapana and Harley Smith-Shields on Eels winger Maika Sivo. They simply did whatever it took to win.

More on Round 19: As I saw it

Team news: Coach Ricky Stuart has named Jack Wighton (ribs) and Elliott Whitehead (shoulder) in his team and have now passed fitness tests. Josh Papalii (head knock) is also back in his regular position of starting prop. Ryan Sutton (chest) is out for one to two weeks, with Hudson Young replacing him at lock. Dunamis Lui (calf) and Bailey Simonsson (toe) are back in contact training and have been named on the reserves list. David Klemmer (head knock) and Bradman Best (ankle) return from injury and have been named in the top 17.

Late changes: Mitchell Pearce (hamstring) was ruled out by the Knights on Friday, along with Simi Sasagi. The Raiders cut Ryan James and Bailey Simonsson, leaving Matt Frawley and Dunamis Lui on the reserves list.

Milestones: Jarrod Croker can surpass the point scoring record of Johnathan Thurston - and stand alone as the third highest point scorer in NRL history - with just one goal or try. Sam Williams will play his 100th NRL game for the Raiders.

History: Canberra has a good overall record against Newcastle, winning 28 of 52 games, with two draws. The Raiders have won five and drawn one match in the last 10 clashes - but only two of the past five. In Round 2 of 2018, the Raiders suffered an awful, last gasp 30-28 loss to the Knights at home. But in 2019, it was a much different Green Machine that took out the Round 3 clash at Canberra Stadium, 17-10. In 2020, the Raiders suffered a disappointing 34-18 loss to Newcastle, in a Round 4 home game transferred to Campbelltown. There was more disappointment for the Raiders in Round 9 this year, losing to the Knights, 24-16, at Wagga. The two teams have never met before in Brisbane.

2021 Round 9: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

2020 Round 4: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: Raiders: LLWWW
Knights: LWWLL

The Knights are coming off back to back losses to the Storm (48-4) and the Roosters (28-8). They've had recent wins over two bottom eight sides, the Cowboys (38-0) and Warriors (10-6) - but haven't beaten a team currently in the top eight since their Round 12 victory over the Sea Eagles.

The Raiders have now won three in a row - against the Sea Eagles (30-16), Sharks (34-18) and the Eels (12-10) - with two of those victories against top eight opposition. It wasn't so long ago, however, that they produced disappointing losses against the Dragons (22-20) and Titans (44-6).

Betting: The Raiders are $1.65 favourites, with the Knights paying $2.25. The Knights have 3.5 points start in the line betting. When the market opened, the Knights were favourites, but that quickly changed. There has been a little late money for the Knights.

Stat attack: This is a battle between ninth (Raiders) and eleventh (Knights) - and the outcome is crucial to both teams' finals hopes. The attacking strike of both teams close to, or inside, the bottom four in the competition. And while their defence is a little better, both teams are outside the top eight in that department. Knights hooker Jayden Brailey ranks second in the league for most tackles, behind Andrew McCullough, and fifth for dummy half runs. He also ranks third for the most ineffective tackles. Raiders back Jordan Rapana ranks third in the competition for tackles breaks, after making 15 last week against the Eels. Meanwhile the Raiders have two players in the top five for most penalties conceded - Josh Hodgson and Corey Harawira-Naera.

2021 Season record: Raiders 8 and 10 (9th, -72)
Knights 7 and 11 (11th, -156)

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal 12th on tries scored
Knights 16 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 14th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 24 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 9th on fewest tries conceded
Knights 25 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 10th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Knights 49 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 78 per cent, Knights 79 per cent

Running: Raiders 1593 running metres from 176 runs (12 dummy half runs), 169 kick return metres, 539 post contact metres per match
Knights 1622 running metres from 182 runs (8 dummy half runs), 151 kick return metres, 530 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 32, Knights 26 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Knights 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 2, Knights 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 11, Knights 9 per match

Kicking: Raiders 538 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Knights 599 kicking metres from 21 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 354 made, 31 missed, 17 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Knights 361 made, 26 missed, 16 ineffective per match, 90 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1459, Knights 1548 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 10, Knights 10 per match

Handling errors: Raiders 8 Knights 9 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Knights 3 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Knights 4 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 5, Knights 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Jordan Rapana and Kalyn Ponga: Jordan Rapana took over at fullback for the Raiders last weekend and he was simply outstanding. He got a try, made two line breaks, 15 tackle breaks, 261 running metres - and his try saver on Maika Sivo saved the match. His opponent this week, Kalyn Ponga, has only made eight appearances due to injury, but he's incredibly dangerous in attack. The numbers for Ponga on a per game basis are in front of Rapana, but not by a huge amount. Should be a great clash between these two.

Sebastian Kris and Bradman Best: Bradman Best returns from injury this week - and he's only played 10 games so far in 2021. But he's one of the best young centres in the game. He's powerful and a blockbusting runner so Sebastian Kris is going to have his hands full, trying to contain him. Kris has the physical presence to do it - but his defence will really need to be on song (Best 91 per cent tackle efficiency, Kris 86 per cent). Kris has 17 appearances in 2021 - which is impressive, given he took a year out of the game last year, and was only on a train and trial contract over the off season. Best has the better numbers overall, on a per game basis.

Emre Guler and Jacob Saifiti: Newcastle bookends Daniel and Jacob Saifiti will be the starting props for the Knights - with David Klemmer to return from injury on the bench. Daniel is the stronger performer of the two brothers - and the Knights' captain. It'll be up to Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine to handle Daniel and David. But it's the job of Emre Guler to contain Jacob. Guler has been a starting prop in the past three games and he's done a great job. For mine, Guler has the edge in this match-up.

Hudson Young and Connor Watson: Hudson Young has been very good since returning to the team in the second row three weeks ago. Against the Eels, he made 55 tackles and 90 running metres, while he scored a try and made nine tackle breaks and 129 running metres the week before. He moves to lock this week and faces Connor Watson, who has played most of his games in the spine. In practice, Josh Hodgson will probably spend a fair bit of time up against Watson in a similar role - an extra play maker in the back row. Overall, the numbers for Young and Watson on a per game basis are just about dead level.

My tip: The Raiders are now favourites, and I'm not sure I like that. I'd rather they continued to surprise. The Knights will benefit from the return of Klemmer and Best from injury - and Ponga returned a few weeks ago. There's a fair bit of strike there. The Raiders still have some injury concerns. However, after the performance against the Eels, the Green Machine certainly deserve to be favourites. It was a superb effort from all 17 players last week and it now looks like the whole team is pulling in the same direction. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Ricky Stuart: "This time of the year we need to up the intensity in regards to the play offs. We believe we'll be in the play offs. We believe we're good enough to be in the play offs. And we want to be the team that's here the longest, in regards to this hub. I know what's underneath the jumper. Any young boy who wants to be a Raider, you need to have that grit and determination."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Harley Smith-Shields
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Matthew Timoko
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Matt Frawley
21. Dunamis Lui

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 21-22)
Ryan Sutton, Ribs (Rd 21-22)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)
Xavier Savage, Shoulder (Season)

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Enari Tuala
3. Kurt Mann
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Phonenix Crossland
7. Jake Clifford
8. Jacob Saifiti
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. David Klemmer
16. Josh King
17. Brodie Jones

18. Jirah Momoisea
20. Tex Hoy

Injury/Suspension

Pasami Saulo, Leg (Rd 24)
Edrick Lee, Foot (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Adam Gee
Touch judges: Todd Smith and Jon Stone
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLKnightsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2021 Rd 20 V Knights: Game Day

Post by zim »

Edit: Dammit GE now this makes no sense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How'd it make sense before? :)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Four games at Suncorp in 2 days. Not sure why games aren't being spaced out a little better.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse score update service
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Pearce confirmed out.

Would be very deflating to lose after what the team showed last week.
Newcastle have a decent side but are there for the taking.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Need to win this..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Who’s marking Best?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

It’ll be ok guys,

I’ve been to 4 games this year and we’ve won them all.

And I’ll also be at this one. Carn raiders
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Suncorp was looking pretty chopped up last night.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

luffraider wrote: July 31, 2021, 7:32 am It’ll be ok guys,

Both of us trying to keep the record going. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

luffraider wrote:It’ll be ok guys,

Trying to get tickets for the rest of the year crowd funded I see! Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

reptar wrote: July 31, 2021, 7:31 am Who’s marking Best?
It's Kris vs Best.

Kris has had most trouble when guys put footwork on him at pace, rather than just power guys. But Best has both. As GE says real big Test for Kris defensively. He can go a long way to showing he's building his game if he handles him ok. He's going to make some yards and half breaks at some stage but minimising that and not letting him bust us wide open or bend us every run will be important.

If I was Newcastle I'd be bombing between Semi and Rapa often. Rapana turbo's around awkwardly and Semi looks lost sometimes under them.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

BadnMean wrote: July 31, 2021, 9:40 am
reptar wrote: July 31, 2021, 7:31 am Who’s marking Best?
It's Kris vs Best.

Kris has had most trouble when guys put footwork on him at pace, rather than just power guys. But Best has both. As GE says real big Test for Kris defensively. He can go a long way to showing he's building his game if he handles him ok. He's going to make some yards and half breaks at some stage but minimising that and not letting him bust us wide open or bend us every run will be important.

If I was Newcastle I'd be bombing between Semi and Rapa often. Rapana turbo's around awkwardly and Semi looks lost sometimes under them.
For all of the deficiencies in his game, Clifford does have a very nice bomb. The back 3 will have to be focused, but also important to dominate the 4th tackle and put pressure on him (he takes a little bit more time to strike them well).
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Guessing no crowds now

11 council areas going into strict lockdown from 4pm today . Brisbane is one of them as is Goldcoast
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

No footy
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If I heard right the NRL is off
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Sorry all.

Myself and northern raider both can’t go to game now.

Can’t guarantee a win now
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

luffraider wrote: July 31, 2021, 10:49 am Sorry all.

Myself and northern raiders both can’t go to game now.

Can’t guarantee a win now
I don’t think the game is going ahead mate
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Really regretting ending the bubble now I bet.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Danny Weilder tweeting there are urgent talks underway to see if games can be moved or exemptions granted for them to go ahead but looking like NRL and AFL might be off.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2021, 10:46 am If I heard right the NRL is off
There a Queensland Cup match in Townsville between the Townsville Blackhawks and Ipswich Jets called off.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2021, 10:52 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2021, 10:46 am If I heard right the NRL is off
There a Queensland Cup match in Townsville between the Townsville Blackhawks and Ipswich Jets called off.
SE Queensland the problem area mate. This is looking grim.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Main stream media now reporting the NRL games are off https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-g ... d356ef2998
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Trying to negotiate an exemption for the games to go ahead. Hope they do; any delay likely to favour Newcastle if they are allowed to include Pearce in their line up
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I don’t think the negotiations are going well and can’t imagine the recent player breaches have helped. Not an NRL announcement but Fox is calling it…..

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The players have been in a bubble. Surely if there's no crowds the risk would be minimal if it went ahead

PVL should promise Ana the GF and 3 SOOs
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:20 am The players have been in a bubble. Surely if there's no crowds the risk would be minimal if it went ahead

PVL should promise Ana the GF and 3 SOOs
Bubble ended on Thursday - midday phone call will all clubs. Hoping to take games to regional locations but it won’t happen. Clubs have been in the community in the areas of concern.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

It's been well publicised that there are a bunch of muppet players that keep breaking the bubble - I don't think that gives us a good chance of exemptions being granted and the game going ahead.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s not happening - despite Cat telling us the season would never be paused there will not be any NRL or AFL games tonight
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:09 am Trying to negotiate an exemption for the games to go ahead. Hope they do; any delay likely to favour Newcastle if they are allowed to include Pearce in their line up
Pearce will be a big in for Newcastle but I reckon our boys will be better for a longer rest. The Parra game was brutal and we have a few busted lads who will welcome a break on the body. Could be a silver lining here
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Match Moved to NQL
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

radicalraider wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:36 am Match Moved to NQL