Ricky

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Ricky

Post by greeneyed »

Don't forget, "Ricky" is now screening on Fox League. Channel 502.

This is a legendary try for Mal Meninga, set up by Stuart, for the Kangaroos!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ricky

Post by greeneyed »

Really very good. Could have been longer, easily. Much longer. Didn't really cover his coaching at representative level, nor at the Sharks or Eels. Could have covered things like 1993, more of the history of the Raiders, more about what Ricky does in the community, more of his representative career. The only issue... it was too short.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2021, 9:02 pm

Really very good. Could have been longer, easily. Much longer. Didn't really cover his coaching at representative level, nor at the Sharks or Eels. Could have covered things like 1993, more of the history of the Raiders, more about what Ricky does in the community, more of his representative career. The only issue... it was too short.
Totally agree! I was very interested to hear his thoughts on Cronulla and Parra.

Those things can be just promo material for the subject but I thought he was pretty honest about his strengths and weaknesses, and was very quick to give credit where it was due.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Ricky has the passion. Really good bloke too.
I wish him the best of luck.

Part of supporting a team is supporting the individuals. Ricky is the Raiders and im ok to be a supporter while thats the case.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

This is just setting us all up for the GE Last Dance Raiders doco.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:This is just setting us all up for the GE Last Dance Raiders doco.
"Someone disagreed with me on the GH...

.... And I took that personally"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

God watching that made me want to win a comp even more.

Hopefully the Ricky Renaissance 3.0 has begun and our 2019 can just be our Bad Boy Pistons hurdle and 202X can be our Last Dance doco fodder.

6 titles wouldn’t be bad.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: July 26, 2021, 10:18 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:This is just setting us all up for the GE Last Dance Raiders doco.

Someone was being repeatedly rude to me on The GH and I said, that’s not OK.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It was nothing that we didn't know. He's always been a top bloke that played for his team and cared for his players. Just his interview with Graeme Hughes after the second test in 1990 says it all - he felt like letting the team and touring party down after the intercept.

At least Ricky realises that he would regard himself as a failure if he doesn't win a comp. He needs a decent halfback (like himself) to keep the window open, and also evolve as a coach with the times and rule changes. One out of 4 GF wins is not a good ratio. Do we really have someone like Fittler that sets the standards on and off the field to allow the playing group to run themselves?

I don't need to know what happened at Parra or Cronulla - Ricky is about the Raiders.

Great seeing the 2nd test 1990 highlights again - best test ever played. Refreshing to listen to David Morrow's commentary as well as opposed to Rabs or Foxleague.

Ricky I think was the best halfback of his generation - very humble of him to say that Allan Langer was better. Ricky was better than him, Alexander, Hasler, Toovey and even the best recently such as Cooper Cronk and Cleary. Best kicking, passing, organising halfback at the time, with an underrated running game. He was the most influential Raiders players which was highlighted by us losing in straight sets in 1993 when he was injured and Sheens making him captain in 1995 after Meninga retired even though Laurie Daley was the NSW captain and had captained Australia.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ricky said he recruits players based on talent, passion and being a good bloke. How wrong was he about Curtis Scott. Three strikes and out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’ll be disappointed if “Ricky” doesn’t move me as much as that other great Aussie movie “Kenny”.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

"There's a hurtin' in there that'll outlast religion..."
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I enjoyed that.

How good was he ?

He had the ball on a string, the lad could play.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:

GE - If you let Botman go to vacation, we’re not gonna see him. If you let him go to Vegas, we definitely are not gonna see him. You not gonna get that dude back in 48 hours. I don’t care what you say, he’s done as a Moderator

Botman - I got my approval, and I went to Vegas…
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:39 am
greeneyed wrote:

GE - If you let Botman go to vacation, we’re not gonna see him. If you let him go to Vegas, we definitely are not gonna see him. You not gonna get that dude back in 48 hours. I don’t care what you say, he’s done as a Moderator

Botman - I got my approval, and I went to Vegas…
Closing scenes of GE:

"When people see this, they gonna say "well, he wasn't really a nice forum administrator, he was a tyrant"... oh well, that's you. Because you never posted anything.
I wanted to post but I wanted them to post and be apart of that too.

Look, I dont have to do this, I'm only doing it because it is who I am. That's how I posted on forums. That was my mentality. If you don't want to post that way, don't post that way....break :cry: "
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Watching now, it's really good

He was such an attacking dynamo as a player but he doesn't come across that way in his coaching. He loves winning and aggression. He clearly sees football as a bunch of close knit mates going to battle together. I think we can see that in the current Raiders team

Interesting to hear how much having Fittler made him realise the importance of senior players to drive standards. I think that may explain the continual picking of Tootsy. I wonder if this year has taught him you can rely too much on them, if you give them too much power (forwards deciding who starts, etc)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:40 pm Watching now, it's really good

He was such an attacking dynamo as a player but he doesn't come across that way in his coaching. He loves winning and aggression. He clearly sees football as a bunch of close knit mates going to battle together. I think we can see that in the current Raiders team

Interesting to hear how much having Fittler made him realise the importance of senior players to drive standards. I think that may explain the continual picking of Tootsy. I wonder if this year has taught him you can rely too much on them, if you give them too much power (forwards deciding who starts, etc)
The thing I find interesting regarding Stuart is that we're always told the less athletic former players who relied on hardwork tend to make it as coaches. It seems like Stuart has been shoehorned into that category based on the fact he wasn't particularly fast, athletic or strong. But we're also talking about a guy who was so talented with his ball playing and skills that he was playing for NSW and Australia within two years of debuting in first grade.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Anyone shoehorning stuart into that conversation never watched him play.
Stuart wont ever get the kudos he deserves for his playing days because a large portion of the RL community have leant to hate his guts over the course of his coaching career... but Ricky Stuart was unquestionably of the best and most skillfully halfbacks to ever lace a boot. The guy had an incredible football brain on the paddock, he was playing 3-4 moves ahead.

The league should be thankful no one ever thought of the 40-20 when he was playing, if they did, we might have had a period of dominance similar to what the storm have gone through in the last 10 or so years
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

That's what's interesting though, he doesn't see himself as a purveyor of the beautiful game (even though he was). He sees himself as someone who went into battle, tirelessly developing his skills

That would explain the disconnect I've always had with how he coached vs how he played
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 28, 2021, 8:40 am That's what's interesting though, he doesn't see himself as a purveyor of the beautiful game (even though he was). He sees himself as someone who went into battle, tirelessly developing his skills

That would explain the disconnect I've always had with how he coached vs how he played
I remain convinced that a lot of these guys whilst they look in control and they seem to know exactly what they're doing and it looks so methodical and clean and all that jazz
these are just artists and they're just able to process it in a way that on the paddock makes them look like geniuses but trying to convey how to do that, how see it and act on it the way they did, to another human... entirely different kettle of fish. I just think he is someone who could do but cant really teach and his pivot off that is to just drill down into mateship, grind and relentless work , thinking that his players will all come out where they should talent wise, as long as they put the work in.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:20 am
Canberra Milk wrote: July 28, 2021, 8:40 am That's what's interesting though, he doesn't see himself as a purveyor of the beautiful game (even though he was). He sees himself as someone who went into battle, tirelessly developing his skills

I remain convinced that a lot of these guys whilst they look in control and they seem to know exactly what they're doing and it looks so methodical and clean and all that jazz
these are just artists and they're just able to process it in a way that on the paddock makes them look like geniuses but trying to convey how to do that, how see it and act on it the way they did, to another human... entirely different kettle of fish. I just think he is someone who could do but cant really teach and his pivot off that is to just drill down into mateship, grind and relentless work , thinking that his players will all come out where they should talent wise, as long as they put the work in.
One of the most insightful things I've ever heard was Paul Kent speaking about this. When he was at Parra, he was debating whether he should keep trying his hand at football, or lean towards journalism. He had a chat with Sterlo, who took him to watch a practice game. Sterlo apparently started calling plays 2 - 3 steps ahead of what was happening, explaining all these little nuances that was happening etc.

Kent could not for the life of him see what Sterlo was seeing, and couldn't follow with the explanations. He said it was like they were watching different games, and it was then he realised he'd never be a great Halfback.

I've always felt the disconnect Ricky has between how he coached vs how he played is just what Botman said. Ricky's an artist, trying to explain to his players something that just comes naturally to him.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Oh so all is forgiven is it?

Rick is manipulating the lot of you like he manipulates the decision makers and the media cocoon he has around him.

The bloke flat out can’t coach modern rugby league - he’s a great talker and an even better salesman and he’s hooked you all in again… my word
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:32 am
Botman wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:20 am

One of the most insightful things I've ever heard was Paul Kent speaking about this. When he was at Parra, he was debating whether he should keep trying his hand at football, or lean towards journalism. He had a chat with Sterlo, who took him to watch a practice game. Sterlo apparently started calling plays 2 - 3 steps ahead of what was happening, explaining all these little nuances that was happening etc.

Kent could not for the life of him see what Sterlo was seeing, and couldn't follow with the explanations. He said it was like they were watching different games, and it was then he realised he'd never be a great Halfback.

I've always felt the disconnect Ricky has between how he coached vs how he played is just what Botman said. Ricky's an artist, trying to explain to his players something that just comes naturally to him.
That's right he was an artist, who also had intense focus, discipline and training... and over-attributes his success to the latter. Not realising that it doesn't work so well for others, or, he doesn't know how to impart it
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Rickmando wrote:Oh so all is forgiven is it?

Rick is manipulating the lot of you like he manipulates the decision makers and the media cocoon he has around him.

The bloke flat out can’t coach modern rugby league - he’s a great talker and an even better salesman and he’s hooked you all in again… my word
Right in front of my eyes!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Rickmando wrote: July 28, 2021, 4:20 pm Oh so all is forgiven is it?

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What a truly bizarre post
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

:roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

That was a bloody good show! Enjoyed that. How about the bit when he was crook so he calls Don who calls Alan Jones who calls Kerry Packer who sent a jet. Good connections!

I’ve faith Ricky will win one if we move on a few old blokes and focus on the young talent.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

:lol:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Consider the (highly deserved) pizzling Rick has taken on the GH this year, yet here we are romanticising him off the back of one single television piece, released via his unofficial media mouthpiece at Fox League.

The Cult of Ricky is indestructible
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Rickmando wrote: July 29, 2021, 8:17 am Consider the (highly deserved) pizzling Rick has taken on the GH this year, yet here we are romanticising him off the back of one single television piece, released via his unofficial media mouthpiece at Fox League.

I would say that it is one single television piece + the recent injection of youth (and hope) + 3 straight wins and what is looking like a finals charge if we keep trending this way.

I am one of Ricky’s harshest critics when we stink but am stoked to be able to give him credit when he gets us back on the right path.

We are a great chance to go 4 straight this weekend and rise to 7th. I don’t know many coaches who would be under serious pressure off the back of that.

Try and see if you can enjoy it. The last month has been much more fun than the preceding 3 or 4.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: July 29, 2021, 8:17 am Consider the (highly deserved) pizzling Rick has taken on the GH this year, yet here we are romanticising him off the back of one single television piece, released via his unofficial media mouthpiece at Fox League.

We're romanticising him a player! And fair enough too, since he was a legendary player who was one of the driving forces in all 3 of our premiership :lol:

What in the actual **** is wrong with you? Seriously are you so incapable of getting off the one train of thought?
If you cant even look back on his playing career with fondness and appreciation then you've got serious **** problems, my friend :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That is some tin foil hat **** right there

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: July 29, 2021, 10:22 am That is some tin foil hat **** right there

Would 'ya shut up woman. He's talkin' about my leader!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I particularly liked how how much of the production showed Ricky driving around various parts of Canberra and Queanbeyan without him actually arriving anywhere. I thought the synergies to his aimless coaching style were outstanding.