Where is our apology?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Where is our apology?

Post by Ultima »

I've noticed the NRL seem to have changed course recently with ref mistakes. Previously they had this big weekly talk about mistakes made, etc and now it's all just been ignored. Not a single one of the NRL "match reports' on our game, nor the highlights (even the "extended highlights") they posted mentioned a single thing about the try they got with an offside player being missed entirely...

Is this the NRL's new policy? Just ignore problems with how Perenara should never be near a whistle or in charge of the bunker ever again?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Where is our apology?

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm sorry
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm sorry you're a whinger.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

The "weekly talk" is on Mondays.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It'll be coming this afternoon.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Instead, they are analysing the Rapana tackle...
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Nope, he was 100% on side it seems... Even though the try was sent up as a no try for that exact reason...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'm sorry this has upset you so much.

Me? I couldn't give a ****. It was a bad call, everyone knows it. Whether Annesley and co decide they have to admit that, or find enough scraping around the edges to justify the clearly incorrect decision is of no consequence to me or the Raiders. We won and and deserved to win. Moving on. Every objective commentary of the incident agrees he was clearly offside
Last edited by Botman on July 26, 2021, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surprising given that even Ricky Stuart went on record on the weekend saying that the try should not have been awarded as Brown was off side. And the Fox commentary said the same thing. It isn't like it wasn't controversial. The point of the briefings from Annesley is that he is there to analyse controversial rulings. The NRL loves to spin doctor and avoid accountability as much as possible.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Brown was offside. Blind Freddie could tell that.

And while Rapas isn't a shoulder charge, due to lack of shoulders used, it seems its a 50/50 call as to whether its an illegal hit.

Perhaps it was a "cancel eachother out" situation.

Waiting for the NRL to apologise is a fools errand. It's infuriating, sure, but it's consistent inconsistencies is part of this wonderful game
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: July 26, 2021, 2:48 pm Brown was offside. Blind Freddie could tell that.

And while Rapas isn't a shoulder charge, due to lack of shoulders used, it seems its a 50/50 call as to whether its an illegal hit.

Perhaps it was a "cancel eachother out" situation.

Waiting for the NRL to apologise is a fools errand. It's infuriating, sure, but it's consistent inconsistencies is part of this wonderful game
Annesley said that it wasn't a 50/50 call. He said that there was no rule of rugby league broken in the Rapana tackle. All the contact was legal. There is no rule about contacting a player with the hip.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I read that. And I think common sense prevailed.
But there is a rule about leading with feet/legs/knees.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the contact was with Rapana's stomach/hip. He didn't lead with legs/feet etc.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Annesley and the person responsible for the referees (Horse Maxwell) is weak as urine. Perenara was allowed to do bunker work after his glaring error and made more errors on the obstructions in the Melbourne game. Dudded twice this year by Perenara. But agree we need to move on and I'm sure the players are focusing on Newcastle.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

It's more that there is no accountability... This was a try sent up as a no-try, he was certainly offside, and he was well with-in ten metres of the play. Perenara shouldn't be reffing this weekend, in the bunker or otherwise yet he will be again in all likelihood.

Not sure why it's so controversial on a supporters form to question the refs, even more so when everyone agrees they got it wrong. Getting call in live play wrong, sure they happen, but how does the video ref/bunker consistently get **** wrong?

He admitted another **** up costing the Storm a try, why ignore this one?
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

There seems to be a new interpretation this year where players can come from an offside position to pressure a kick receiver as long as they don't attack the ball. It would be nice if the NRL notified us of the change in interpretation, even if it is completely bananas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 26, 2021, 3:29 pm There seems to be a new interpretation this year where players can come from an offside position to pressure a kick receiver as long as they don't attack the ball. It would be nice if the NRL notified us of the change in interpretation, even if it is completely bananas.
It’s the first I’ve heard of it but agree, the call on last Thursday deserves explanation. Ricky Stuart doesn’t seem to know about it either as he said on Triple M on the weekend that Brown was off side and it should have been a no try.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 26, 2021, 4:01 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 26, 2021, 3:29 pm There seems to be a new interpretation this year where players can come from an offside position to pressure a kick receiver as long as they don't attack the ball. It would be nice if the NRL notified us of the change in interpretation, even if it is completely bananas.
It’s the first I’ve heard of it but agree, the call on last Thursday deserves explanation. Ricky Stuart doesn’t seem to know about it either as he said on Triple M on the weekend that Brown was off side and it should have been a no try.
I just saw one a few weeks ago they ruled the same way, think it was a Knights game. Player in the 10 and in the kick receivers eye line but didn't touch the ball so they ruled play on.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought we had one go our way earlier in the season - from memory either the first time we played Titans or Sharks? The bunker called it 'passive' at the time as our llayer was slightly within the 10 but didn't get involved in the play at all.

But clearly Brown was not 'passive' and wasn't called as such.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 26, 2021, 4:18 pm
I just saw one a few weeks ago they ruled the same way, think it was a Knights game. Player in the 10 and in the kick receivers eye line but didn't touch the ball so they ruled play on.
There is an interpretation about "passive" (or not) if the players is offside. The referee has discretion to rule that the offside player didn't get involved. But if they're off side and get involved or somehow impact the play it should be a penalty. With the incident last Thursday, the bunker actually ruled Dylan Brown as being on side (Perenara incorrectly called all the players on the left edge onside during his commentary while going through the video)... so the issue of whether he was passive or not wasn't even considered by Perenara.

I now see I'm agreed with gerg... agree, that Brown wasn't passive either.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 26, 2021, 4:18 pm
There is an interpretation about "passive" (or not) if the players is offside. The referee has discretion to rule that the offside player didn't get involved. But if they're off side and get involved or somehow impact the play it should be a penalty. With the incident last Thursday, the bunker actually ruled Dylan Brown as being on side (Perenara incorrectly called all the players on the left edge onside during his commentary while going through the video)... so the issue of whether he was passive or not wasn't even considered by Perenara.

I now see I'm agreed with gerg... agree, that Brown wasn't passive either.
I should add that I'm not a fan at all of the 'passive' interpretation. Another grey area of the game where referees are somehow expected to determine whether a player is effected or distracted by a 'passive' player. A fullback could easily be distracted by seeing a player out of the corner of their eye. I've said it a million times but the game needs more black and white and less grey.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Ultima wrote: July 26, 2021, 2:59 pm It's more that there is no accountability... This was a try sent up as a no-try, he was certainly offside, and he was well with-in ten metres of the play. Perenara shouldn't be reffing this weekend, in the bunker or otherwise yet he will be again in all likelihood.

Not sure why it's so controversial on a supporters form to question the refs, even more so when everyone agrees they got it wrong. Getting call in live play wrong, sure they happen, but how does the video ref/bunker consistently get **** wrong?

He admitted another **** up costing the Storm a try, why ignore this one?
Raiders won so it seems it doesn't mater.

FWIW, with so many teams fighting it out for that 7-8 spot it is howler and could have cost the Raiders a spot in the 8.

The guy is totally incompetent and needs to be thrown out.
WorkChoice
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: July 26, 2021, 2:54 pm I read that. And I think common sense prevailed.
But there is a rule about leading with feet/legs/knees.
I think we he was close to both, but guilty of neither. I think the NRL is right to just leave that one alone- it's a pretty isolated and rare kind of occurrence. By the same token, if the NRL saw it lead to a rash of blokes leading with the hip to injure or recklessly then they could easily fold it in as some sort of reckless tackle easily enough. But I don't think we'll see that.

Dylan Brown was offside. Decision went against us. Refs blundered. Move on. Our team drops the ball or takes the wrong runner 4 times a game too.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m sorry as well.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m really sorry I read through this thread - but as I did - I declare Botman the winner for his sorry/not sorry who really gives a toss, why would we care post.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

“I know that my plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth?”

The Apology, Plato
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Here you go