Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Brisbane Broncos interested in Ryan James and Dunamis Lui

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I don't think James has been a bad signing. He was mainly brought in to play a role off the bench and while I can accept that he hasn't been spectacular, he's done his job. In saying that, with the number of middles we're carrying currently and with younger talent coming through, he's the exact type of guy you let go of if another club is interested. If you had to pay money to get rid of him, probably not. It's an opportunity for us to shed two ageing middles which is something we need to do to adapt our squad to the times. If they're happy to take up the offer, it's a no-brainer for us...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hrundi89 wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 25, 2021, 6:27 pm
hrundi89 wrote:I've officially pulled the pin on Horse. "I guess he just wasn't made for these times..."
I haven't, lisfranc can take a long recovery.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It's not the injury that concerns me.

It's the build, the brain, etc.

:hmmm
I just think if he can get the fitness right he can get his game right

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Matt wrote: July 24, 2021, 2:55 pm As likeable as both these guys are, our young brigade can also give us the same production. The trade-off is experience, and potentially team moral/ culture.

Given that Sia, Lui are off contract, and James has 1 to run, I'd be happy to part with 2 and hold 1. I suspect Sia moves to the staff, coaching or recruiting/ mentoring. Meaning flip a coin on the other 2, and surely the standing contract wins.

Either way, it means Horse, Guler, Young are all staples in the top 17, rather that 2 out of 3, and the likes of Mooney, Esra, Thompson and Rushton being blooded
I read an article in The Canberra Times a month or so ago about Sia being readied for a job in Raiders admin. He seemed to be in denial though and said he was thinking of going around one more year. I think he's going to get a tap on the shoulder from reality.

James and Lui are getting little first grade time, so this would be a win for both of them. James leaving would allow the Raiders to go to market for some younger quality forwards.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

yurithe1 wrote: July 28, 2021, 5:59 pm
Matt wrote: July 24, 2021, 2:55 pm As likeable as both these guys are, our young brigade can also give us the same production. The trade-off is experience, and potentially team moral/ culture.

Given that Sia, Lui are off contract, and James has 1 to run, I'd be happy to part with 2 and hold 1. I suspect Sia moves to the staff, coaching or recruiting/ mentoring. Meaning flip a coin on the other 2, and surely the standing contract wins.

Either way, it means Horse, Guler, Young are all staples in the top 17, rather that 2 out of 3, and the likes of Mooney, Esra, Thompson and Rushton being blooded
I read an article in The Canberra Times a month or so ago about Sia being readied for a job in Raiders admin. He seemed to be in denial though and said he was thinking of going around one more year. I think he's going to get a tap on the shoulder from reality.

James and Lui are getting little first grade time, so this would be a win for both of them. James leaving would allow the Raiders to go to market for some younger quality forwards.
Don't need to go to the market. We have a couple coming through
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

James was good for Dogs today. The supporters on The Kennel want to keep him
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

sprintman wrote: August 15, 2021, 3:35 pm James was good for Dogs today. The supporters on The Kennel want to keep him
I’ve heard he’s wrapped up the POTY award..that’s how good he was.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:
sprintman wrote: August 15, 2021, 3:35 pm James was good for Dogs today. The supporters on The Kennel want to keep him
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Like I said in other thread, we should release two middles and get an edge. This is the opportunity to do so. That would also allow the benefit of moving Hudson to the middle where he's more effective
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:
Haha, nice!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Brisbane Broncos confirm interest in Ryan James

Post by Butters »

Pardon if already a thread.

Can someone explain what happened here? Just stopped getting picked. Got a longer deal at Broncs so amicable?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Ryan James

Post by greeneyed »

I did see the Instagram post, and it sort of suggests he's finished at the club, without actually saying that. It could just be saying that the time on the Gold Coast was a blast. Or that the Meninga Medal was a blast. I can't find any reports he's been released or signed with the Broncos. Just that the Broncos have been interested.
Butters
Ricky Stuart

Post by Butters »

I'm reading into it. He's a goner.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont think it really worked out the way player or club thought it would
So i expect this will be the very rare legitimate mutual parting of ways with no hard feelings
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s done well for himself- good on him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Doing a bit of maths on the top 30 numbers...

There are currently 31 players on the list for either 2021 or 2022: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/202 ... 2/#raiders

I'm assuming that Soliola and Lui won't be with the club, and we know Aekins and Havili won't be. We understand that Sam Williams and Matt Frawley have one year deals in the works for 2022. So that leaves three vacant spots.

So Ryan James being shopped around for next year is reported in the press, with Broncos reportedly interested. I guess it depends how much more surgery the Raiders want to do in terms of bringing up youth.

Assume that Darby Medlyn has lost a development spot, with Brandon Morkos getting one of the four development spots. Elijah Anderson has another, Clay Webb is signed to 2023 and Ata Mariota has a player option for 2022.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If that is the total number of players we move on we are in a massive world of pain GE.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I can't say I'm surprised that he is leaving. But I'm absolutely gobsmacked as to why he didn't play more for us. I thought he looked good for us. I also thought he absolutely killed it for the dogs. I'm dumbfounded as to why the club signed the bloke if they didn't intend on playing him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

“If” he’s leaving.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

He's definitely punching
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

PerthRaider86 wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:20 pm He's definitely punching
The secret ingredient is money.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

You'd think with all that money he could buy some pants that fit
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2021, 6:31 pm Doing a bit of maths on the top 30 numbers...

There are currently 31 players on the list for either 2021 or 2022: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/23/202 ... 2/#raiders

I'm assuming that Soliola and Lui won't be with the club, and we know Aekins and Havili won't be. We understand that Sam Williams and Matt Frawley have one year deals in the works for 2022. So that leaves three vacant spots.

So Ryan James being shopped around for next year is reported in the press, with Broncos reportedly interested. I guess it depends how much more surgery the Raiders want to do in terms of bringing up youth.

Assume that Darby Medlyn has lost a development spot, with Brandon Morkos getting one of the four development spots. Elijah Anderson has another, Clay Webb is signed to 2023 and Ata Mariota has a player option for 2022.
That's very concerning. That squad is bottom 4, 10th place at best. Crazy to resign both Williams and Frawley.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2021, 6:31 pm Doing a bit of maths on the top 30 numbers...

That's very concerning. That squad is bottom 4, 10th place at best. Crazy to resign both Williams and Frawley.
Only 3 spots?!? Oooph!
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

One of the comments asked if he was staying on next year and James liked it, who knows

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:

It would be crazier to re-sign both of them
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If Broncos come knocking with a multi year offer we will let him go. Good luck to him
regarding the 30 man squad , even though there is little space we will probably see others moved on.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Bulldogs forum pretty damn happy with what he did on loan.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

chris83 wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:29 pm You'd think with all that money he could buy some pants that fit
And some socks and a razor - what the hell is wrong with this generation? :nooo :lol:
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

sprintman wrote:Bulldogs forum pretty damn happy with what he did on loan.
It wouldn’t take whole heap to impress the Bulldogs forum these days.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 12:05 pm
chris83 wrote: September 4, 2021, 8:29 pm You'd think with all that money he could buy some pants that fit
And some socks and a razor - what the hell is wrong with this generation? :nooo :lol:
It's embarrassing isn't it. Back in my day ...............
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Andymachine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

I think that Ryan James, when he's used properly, is a very good prop and he should have been our #3 middle all year behind Papa and Tapine. I'd bet he would have offered a lot more than Guler, Hors ad Soliola and probably more than Sutton at times, though Sutton did have some good games earlier in the season.

James and Lui never got a proper go this year. They get the token 15-20 minute stint and then dropped for the next week. There were games where James would start and look very good, never to be seen again after his first 20 mins. If he's a Raider next year, I hope he gets a chance to play. Unfortunately for him the 2021 season has wasted a year of his career.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm often wrong with speculating on what is happening behind closed doors but doesn't stop me throwing stuff out there. Wondering if James coming to the club and taking Lui's position was part of the destabilising of the team dynamic - through absolutely no fault of his own.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

chris83 wrote: September 5, 2021, 12:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 12:05 pm
It's embarrassing isn't it. Back in my day ...............
Don’t even get me started on his top button! :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Butters wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:52 pm Pardon if already a thread.

Can someone explain what happened here? Just stopped getting picked. Got a longer deal at Broncs so amicable?

That’s hot..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Who's even looking at what Ryan is wearing? :nooo