11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Kris
16. Soliola
17. Tapine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 20 V Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton could be fit for clash with Newcastle Knights

The Canberra Times is reporting that Ryan Sutton is recovering faster than expected from a muscular problem in his chest, and may be fit for the Knights clash. Josh Hodgson (corked thigh) should be fit. Bailey Simonsson might also be available as early as this week (previously a Rd 21-23 return). Dunamis Lui, Corey Horsburgh and Simonsson are about to resume contact training, but Jack Wighton is not ready.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders to get financial compensation for lost home games

The NRL are working on a compensation package for the clubs, with the Canberra Raiders expecting to finish the season on the Gold Coast. The Raiders will play their Rd 21 home game against the Dragons in Queensland, while CEO Don Furner expects the final two home games against the Sea Eagles and the Roosters might end up being moved from Canberra Stadium as well.

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Those early season defensive fade outs when we had good leads only to be over run in the second half are not only bad news due to the loss of competition points, but also the effect on our for and against. We are now outside the 8 due to For/Against. Still, the rest of the season is in our hands and particularly the next 2 weeks against the Knights and Dragons before we meet the Melbourne Storm.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Warriors, Cowboys, Knights, Dragons. Capitulating in those 4 games have defined our season.

We've been hammered by a few decent teams this year (Storm, Eels and Roosters spring to mind), but losing those other four games, and all of that George Williams crap, has been a real letdown.

Hopefully this is a chance for a bit of payback against the Knights. The second half of that game in Wagga was like watching a car crash. Thankfully this time we won't have Curtis Scott clocking off with the game on the line.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Bailey back would be a nice surprise. He would come in for Valemei, but I hope Raps stays at FB.
BringinKris
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Sebastian Kris

Post by BringinKris »

This really is a season-defining match. I am expecting:

1. Rapana
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. HSS

6. Frawley
7. Williams

8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Timoko
16. Sutton (if fit) or Soliola (if not)
17. Tapine

Especially if Pearce/Ponga/Saifiti/Klemmer are all fit, this will be a big challenge and no doubt the Knights will be seeing this as a kitchen-sink game. The Roosters successfully directed a lot of traffic down their right side against Mann and Young in their win on the weekend, which may lay a bit of a blueprint for us.

Given how easy the Sharks' run home is, this match will go a long way to deciding who else makes the 8 this year.
BringinKris
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Sebastian Kris

Post by BringinKris »

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... urn/?cs=12
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... oes/?cs=12

I realise these are behind paywalls, but in essence the first states that Bradman Best and David Klemmer will definitely play, with Mitchell Pearce still a question mark ("has boxes to tick" which sounds to me like he may not).

The second states that Ponga was was needled twice before kick-off last week which apparently didn't work. He picked up a bad sternum injury against Melbourne the week before, which is clearly still inconveniencing him. Given the must win nature of the game, the Knights medical staff will be doing everything possible so I expect him to play.

Best will be a handful. Not sure which side he tends to play on, but will be a real challenge for Croker and/or Sammy Williams as he is a dynamic runner. We must manhandle Ponga the first chance we time we get our hands on him.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Playing the back end of the season away from home is honestly the best thing that could have happened to us (aside from the fact us members will miss out seeing the team at home).

Our home record the last few years has left a lot to be desired.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RedRaider wrote: July 25, 2021, 1:42 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: July 25, 2021, 10:55 am 1. Rapana
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Timoko
5. Smith-Shields
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Tapine
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Young
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Papalii
16. Sutton
17. Soliola

18. Kris
I reckon Kris will be at right center, Sutton out with injury and Timoko on the bench.
Ok, then it's Kris in for Sutton for me.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Raider Azz wrote: July 26, 2021, 10:38 am Playing the back end of the season away from home is honestly the best thing that could have happened to us (aside from the fact us members will miss out seeing the team at home).

Yeah what is with that? We used to be so good at home - we've absolutely stunk the last few years, even in 2019 when we made the GF.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

We seem to be allergic to Kalyn Ponga, so it's definitely a danger game. If you had him in supercoach you could be forgiven for captaining him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GALLERY: Raiders train on the Gold Coast: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... old-coast/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton, Elliott Whitehead face fitness test for crunch Newcastle Knights game

Ricky Stuart will name Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead for their clash with the Newcastle Knights at Lang Park on Saturday. The pair will undergo fitness tests on Wednesday, but lock Ryan Sutton now looks set to miss one week due to a chest injury.

"It'll be great to have them back in the 17, but I certainly won't risk them at this stage of the year," Ricky Stuart said of Wighton and Whitehead.

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

If Wighton makes it, I'd rather keep Frawley than Williams. I love Sammy, but Frawley has been better.

I think the back 5 can stay the same, and Bailey given another week to recover. They did a great job all together last Thursday.

Whatever we did with Hodgson and Starling on Thursday we need to do again. They were on song with each other and really fired up.

No Sutton would be a big loss - hopefully he's able to be fit.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: July 26, 2021, 6:02 pm If Wighton makes it, I'd rather keep Frawley than Williams. I love Sammy, but Frawley has been better.

I think the back 5 can stay the same, and Bailey given another week to recover. They did a great job all together last Thursday.

Whatever we did with Hodgson and Starling on Thursday we need to do again. They were on song with each other and really fired up.

No Sutton would be a big loss - hopefully he's able to be fit.
YEah back 5 deserve another run- they've been winning, simple as that. (Timoko honestly has played the best of our centres but it's a small sample and Croker is going to play, that's that).

I'd be playing Sammy simply by virtue of his short passing game. We haven't had much happening on the right in attack previously but he's regularly finding the short ball to put CHN away. So there's a struck match bewteen Sammy and Frawley in most areas but Sammy being able to bring CHN- a huge weapon- into the game and add some spark on the right gets him the nod in my preferences.

Hodgo found some oomph in defence but I think that was the wave of momentum started by Tapine's aggro and Sia finding his targets. Starling is often very strong in contact- great technique under the ribs. Hodgo will always have some days where he just gets bounced off or thrown away simpky because he always tackles on or over the ball- it's high risk at his height and bodyweight. But he was brave last week, hopefully finding some confidence in his body again.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If the Raiders can beat the Knights I expect we will be in 7th spot after this weekend, because I don't expect the Sharks to beat Manly and I don't expect the Dragons to beat Souths.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mitchell Pearce's Knights' return for Canberra Raiders clash not guaranteed yet

Teenage centre Bradman Best and experienced prop David Klemmer will both play for the Knights against the Canberra Raiders on Saturday but Mitchell Pearce is racing the clock to be fit.

Read more: https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... n/?cs=2503
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Another huge game. It is remarkable to think we could be sitting in 7th if we win this weekend. Again, if we are serious about playing finals (I still think second week of finals would be an amazing achievement for this season, given what we went through), we need to beat both the Knights and Dragons, and beat them well. On the Knights game:

* Ponga is massive for them. He has killed us in the past with his sweep to the left (our right), and given that is where Williams defends, we cannot afford to have too much space between our players to allow him to use his speed on Williams. To Williams’ credit, he has done a great job the last few weeks in just getting his body in front, and CHN/Kris have done well covering him. Ponga is clearly carrying a sternum injury - kick to him and smash him on kick returns, as often as possible. He is the kind of player that can lose interest in a game, but if he gets any confidence, will burn us.
* Best is likely to return - I actually like having Kris mark up on him, Kris struggles with centres who have a bit of speed/footwork, but I think he is up to matching up physically against the big “tackle buster” centre. He has a big job.
* Newcastle are similar to Parra in that their forward pack is their strength. Saifiti brothers in particular. Need a big effort from our forwards - same intensity and physicality as the last game. I have liked Stuart’s bench rotation in recent weeks, he needs to have one of (and maybe both) Papalii and Tapine on during our second half lull period. The back 3 are again essential - big metres from Valemei, Rapana and HSS will allow our forwards more rest and means they can use their energy on defensive line speed.
* If we have Wighton and Whitehead back, I would like to see Young start at lock and Whitehead at left second row. The reason is, I think Wighton/Whitehead/Croker have a good combination in attack with numerous shapes, which would be nice to have in addition to our improved right side attack with CHN. Presents (different) questions both sides of the ruck.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

TongueFTW wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:21 am Another huge game. It is remarkable to think we could be sitting in 7th if we win this weekend. Again, if we are serious about playing finals (I still think second week of finals would be an amazing achievement for this season, given what we went through), we need to beat both the Knights and Dragons, and beat them well. On the Knights game:

* Ponga is massive for them. He has killed us in the past with his sweep to the left (our right), and given that is where Williams defends, we cannot afford to have too much space between our players to allow him to use his speed on Williams. To Williams’ credit, he has done a great job the last few weeks in just getting his body in front, and CHN/Kris have done well covering him. Ponga is clearly carrying a sternum injury - kick to him and smash him on kick returns, as often as possible. He is the kind of player that can lose interest in a game, but if he gets any confidence, will burn us.
* Best is likely to return - I actually like having Kris mark up on him, Kris struggles with centres who have a bit of speed/footwork, but I think he is up to matching up physically against the big “tackle buster” centre. He has a big job.
* Newcastle are similar to Parra in that their forward pack is their strength. Saifiti brothers in particular. Need a big effort from our forwards - same intensity and physicality as the last game. I have liked Stuart’s bench rotation in recent weeks, he needs to have one of (and maybe both) Papalii and Tapine on during our second half lull period. The back 3 are again essential - big metres from Valemei, Rapana and HSS will allow our forwards more rest and means they can use their energy on defensive line speed.
* If we have Wighton and Whitehead back, I would like to see Young start at lock and Whitehead at left second row. The reason is, I think Wighton/Whitehead/Croker have a good combination in attack with numerous shapes, which would be nice to have in addition to our improved right side attack with CHN. Presents (different) questions both sides of the ruck.
Like the analysis (like the one for the Parra game. Keep them coming. From what I've seen of Newcastle (versus Storm and Roosters), their edge defence is no good and that's where we should hit them. They derive momentum through their forward pack and Ponga, so keep them quiet we should be OK. Connor Watson has footwork around the ruck. Crossland if he plays at halfback adds very little, ditto Jake Clifford. Mann is a liability in defence in the centres but you need good footwork.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Got my tickets. They sure don't miss you at this Suncorp. Recent double header at Gold Coast only cost me $30 for tickets on half way. Here is was $75. Even the kids ticket was $60. :(

Tickets in the ends and corners are $40 for adults.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raider Azz wrote:Playing the back end of the season away from home is honestly the best thing that could have happened to us (aside from the fact us members will miss out seeing the team at home).

Totally agree.

Don't know what it is, but we suck big time at home. Maybe it's the curse of David Shillington.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

2021 Rd 20 NRL teams: Raiders V Knights

Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Sunday 1 August 1:50pm
Lang Park
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders have named their squad for Saturday’s match against the Newcastle Knights at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Jack Wighton (ribs) and Elliott Whitehead (shoulder) have been named to make their return from injuries, with Wighton returning to five-eighth and Whitehead to the second row.

Ryan Sutton will miss 1-2 weeks with a chest injury, which sees Hudson Young move from second row to lock.

Both Bailey Simonsson (foot) and Dunamis Lui (calf) have been named on the extended bench after returning to full squad training this week.

Canberra Raiders media

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Harley Smith-Shields
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Semi Valemei
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom Starling
15. Matthew Timoko
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Matt Frawley
19. Ryan James
20. Bailey Simonsson
21. Dunamis Lui

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 21-22)
Ryan Sutton, Ribs (Rd 21-22)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)
Xavier Savage, Shoulder (Season)

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Enari Tuala
3. Kurt Mann
4. Bradman Best
5. Hymel Hunt
6. Phonenix Crossland
7. Jake Clifford
8. Jacob Saifiti
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Connor Watson

14. Sauaso Sue
15. David Klemmer
16. Josh King
17. Brodie Jones

18. Jirah Momoisea
19. Simi Sasagi
20. Tex Hoy
21. Mitchell Pearce

Injury/Suspension

Pasami Saulo, Leg (Rd 24)
Edrick Lee, Foot (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Adam Gee
Touch judges: Todd Smith and Jon Stone
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLKnightsRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Interesting that Simo is back. Wouldn't mind betting he'll come in for Timoko on the bench if he is indeed fully fit.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I am hoping Timoko can hold his spot on the bench. He also needs longer minutes but his fast leg speed is a great attacking advantage for us.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I like the side, particularly Ricky sticking with HSS on the wing. I think he goes better than Bailey on the wing. Glad that Jack and Whitehead are back. Hope Bailey, Dunamis and Horse can add to our depth in the coming weeks.

They have Best back and Ponga playing. Pearce in the 21. Let's see if he is a late addition.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 Rd 20 V Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -PJ- »

I think we’ll win by plenty..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

RedRaider wrote: July 27, 2021, 4:10 pm I am hoping Timoko can hold his spot on the bench. He also needs longer minutes but his fast leg speed is a great attacking advantage for us.
I also like him on the bench - he played in the middle in the last 7 mins against Parra. You need a back on the bench now given the HIA rule.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reckon Tapine will start for Young

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Should of stuck with Frawley at 5/8. We separately need a competent kicker in this posiiton.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 27, 2021, 4:16 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 27, 2021, 4:10 pm I am hoping Timoko can hold his spot on the bench. He also needs longer minutes but his fast leg speed is a great attacking advantage for us.
I also like him on the bench - he played in the middle in the last 7 mins against Parra. You need a back on the bench now given the HIA rule.
Yep, Timoko showed last week he can provide some value late in the game with strong hit ups if he's not needed for injury cover.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I would have left Whitehead on the bench and started with the same line up as last week as a reward. That means Tapine starting. If we stop Daniel Safiti making momentum and their forwards early on that sets the tone - much like last week. I like Tapine's offloads and we can move their large forward pack around.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: July 27, 2021, 4:20 pm Reckon Tapine will start for Young

I reckon barring injury they will run out as named. I would have liked to see Whitehead and Young switched around but this is probably my second favourite side. Personally, I'd have Timoko and Kris switched around too but I can understand the selection.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

-TW- wrote: July 27, 2021, 4:20 pm Reckon Tapine will start for Young

Hope not. Young has been playing well of late and we need Tapine to do his thing off the bench. His second phase play will mean more against a tired defence - we also have CHN for off-loads before that.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ponga set to play for Newcastle Knights, Canberra Raiders hopeful on Jack Wighton and Elliott Whitehead

Newcastle Knights star Kalyn Ponga is set to shake off a painful sternum injury in time for Saturday's crunch clash with the Raiders. Meanwhile, the Raiders have stuck with local junior Harley Smith Shields on the wing.

"We've got so many good young kids here and Harley's just one of them and he's a local junior too," co-captain Jarrod Croker said. "It's great to see another local boy come through and play with that green jersey, it's something that he's been trying to do all his childhood.

Camaraderie in Carrara key to Canberra Raiders' NRL finals charge

The Raiders are loving life again up on the Gold Coast, and it's all down to the C word: camaraderie.

"Being away in this environment has showed how close a knit team we have," Sam Williams said ahead of his 100th NRL match for the Raiders. "You learn about each other, you learn things about people you didn't know beforehand. In a team sport it's so important to have that camaraderie and I think it's really showing.

VIDEO: Another milestone beckons for Sam Williams: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... -williams/

Tickets now on sale: https://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/ ... 3P/tickets
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Glad to see Timoko hold a bench spot even when Simonsen is fit- the former has far more potential and has also produced more good games in a handful of opportunities than Simo has done in 2 seasons.

Will be really interesting how Young goes in the middle again. I think his fitness is a virtue playing 80 on the edge where he starts to shine later in halves.

Pretty much a 17 as expected.

If we see that defence again, we'll win. But I still don't really feel this team is consistent quality.

I think Best has enough footwork to towel Kris up if he's not sharp, that will be a big test for him. He's dangerous because he combines footwork and power, more than just a barger.