2021 Rd 16 V Titans: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans
Saturday 3 July, 5:30pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
Stadium COVID information: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Shower or two. Cloudy. Medium chance of showers, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. Winds northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 50 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Min 5 Max 11

The Canberra Raiders have won two of their past 10 games - and now return to Canberra Stadium in Round 16 to host the Gold Coast Titans.

Last round: 2021 Round 15. St George Illawarra Dragons 22 - Canberra Raiders 20. More pain in a season full of pain. The Raiders got to a 20-8 lead early in the second half, and then the Raiders faded. The game was played in an absolute gale. One high kick put up by the Dragons in the first half saw the ball blown backwards - behind the kicker. But it was the same gale for both teams. The Raiders led 14-6 at the break, and it was more than an eight point "breeze". The Dragons used the wind much more effectively in the second half, than the Raiders did in the first. The Dragons produced two 40/20 kicks, while the Raiders did not even attempt one. And sure as eggs, the Dragons ran the Raiders down.

More on Round 15: As I saw it

Team news: Co-captain Jarrod Croker (knee) returns from injury, with Sebastian Kris moving to right centre. Matt Timoko drops to 18th man. Josh Papalii and Jack Wighton will back up from Origin, provided they fulfill COVID protocols. Ryan Sutton has been named at lock, with Sia Soliola dropping to the bench.

AJ Brimson (knee), Corey Thompson (ankle), Kevin Proctor (suspension), Beau Fermor (hamstring) and Sam Lisone (pectoral) all return for the Titans. The Gold Coast's Origin representatives, David Fifita, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and Moeaki Fotuaika will all be available.

Late changes: On Friday evening, the Raiders omitted Matt Frawley and Ryan James from their squad, leaving Matt Timoko and Hudson Young on the reserves list. The Titans cut Mitch Rein and Jayden Campbell.

Milestones: Raiders half Sam Williams is expected to play his 100th NRL match in this clash. He's played in 10 seasons of the NRL, and all but four of his NRL matches have been with the Raiders. He's also played four games for the St George Illawarra Dragons. It will also be the 150th NRL match for winger Jordan Rapana. He played five games for the Gold Coast Titans and the remaining games with the Raiders. Meanwhile, Ryan Sutton will clock up his 50th match for the Raiders.

History: Canberra has won 14 of 26 games against the Gold Coast Titans - and 29 of 43 games played against all incarnations of the Gold Coast. The Raiders have won seven of the past 10 matches against the Titans - and are now on a five game winning streak against the Queensland outfit. The Raiders opened the 2020 season with a 24-6 win over the Titans at Canberra Stadium. They followed that up with a 36-16 win in Round 15 on the Gold Coast. Earlier this year, the Raiders prevailed, 20-4, when the two teams met at Kogarah Jubilee due to COVID. The Raiders have won seven of the 11 matches played between the clubs at Canberra Stadium.

2021 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2020 Round 15 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

2020 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

Form: Raiders: WLLWL
Titans: WLLLL

The Titans are on a four game losing streak, with their last win coming over the 15th placed Bulldogs (30-20). They've since had losses to the Sharks (38-10), Storm (20-14), Roosters (35-34) and Sea Eagles 56-24). The Titans sure have been finding ways to lose games. They staged a late comeback against the Roosters, scoring five tries in the final quarter - with the Roosters' Ben Marschke spending 10 minutes in the bin. The Titans took a 34-30 lead in the 74th minute, but a Matt Ikuvalu try two minutes later leveled the scores. A Sam Walker field goal with two minutes left ensured the Roosters would get out of jail. In their last outing against the Sea Eagles, the Titans led 24-8 at half time. But they then conceded nine unanswered tries in the second half. The Raiders' two recent wins have come against the bottom two teams, the Bulldogs and Broncos.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.50 favourites, while the Titans are paying $2.60. The Titans have 6.5 points start in the line betting. The Titans odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack: This is a battle between 10th (Raiders) and 13th (Titans) on the ladder. However the Titans have a bye in hand, and both teams have produced only five wins in 2021. The Raiders have the better defence, while the Titans have the better attack so far in 2021.

The Gold Coast outfit ranks fourth in the league for running metres, third for line breaks and second for tackle breaks. Moeaki Fouaika and AJ Brimson have clocked up the most metres for the Titans. No player has more tackle breaks in the league than Titans back rower David Fifita, while Corey Thompson and Patrick Herbert contribute strongly in that department too. Fifita is third for offloads and in the top 15 players for line breaks. Mitch Rein ranks third, behind Damien Cook and Brandon Smith, for dummy half runs. Titans half Jamal Fogarty is fifth in the NRL for kicking metres - but the Titans are last in the competition on that score. Some players for the Raiders to watch.

2021 Season record: Raiders 5 and 9 (10th, -66)
Titans 5 and 10 (13th, -94)

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 12th on tries scored
Titans 23 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked 7th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 9th on fewest tries conceded
Titans 29 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 13th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 47 per cent, Titans 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 76 per cent, Titans 78 per cent

Running: Raiders 1559 running metres from 174 runs (11 dummy half runs), 159 kick return metres, 537 post contact metres per match
Titans 1685 running metres from 184 runs (13 dummy half runs), 170 kick return metres, 503 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 30, Titans 35 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Titans 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Titans 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Titans 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 10, Titans 12 per match

Kicking: Raiders 527 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match
Titans 470 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 356 made, 29 missed, 19 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Titans 316 made, 30 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1492, Dragons 1522 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Titans 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Titans 5 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 5, Titans 5 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Titans 4 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Titans 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Bailey Simonsson and Alexander Brimson: Bailey Simonsson made a big impact when he switched from the wing to fullback in the Raiders' win over the Broncos in Round 14. He didn't have quite the same impact against the Dragons, so he'll want to lift in this one. AJ Brimson isn't in the top echelon of fullbacks, in a golden period of fullbacks in the NRL. But he's still an impressive No. 1. He's made 12 appearances this year, but has missed the past few games through injury. He's an important addition to the Titans' side this week. Overall, his numbers have been stronger than Simonsson's.

Jarrod Croker and Patrick Herbert: Jarrod Croker returns for the Raiders this week, having made just five appearances in 2021. He missed the opening two matches of the season, due to off season shoulder surgery - and has not played since Round 7 due to a knee problem. He looked hampered by injury during his matches this year and his numbers reflect that. Patrick Herbert's statistics are better overall, but not a whole lot - particularly when you consider he has 11 appearances. Herbert makes a lot of tackle breaks, but still only averages a little over 100 metres per match. Herbert's tackle efficiency (82 per cent) compares well with Croker's (74 per cent) - but Croker's defence was probably affected by his shoulder injury.

Josh Hodgson and Erin Clark: Josh Hodgson forced his way back into the starting hooker role for the Raiders in Round 12, and he looked very good in the Round 14 win over the Broncos. He was good in parts in the loss to the Dragons - and consistency is something he needs to produce in the second half of the season. Erin Clark spent half a season in Canberra in 2017 - and made a comeback to the NRL with the Titans last year. He has started at hooker in the past three matches, after nine earlier appearances off the bench. No doubt Josh Hodgson takes this "skin".

Corey Harawira-Naera and David Fifita: David Fifita is the Titan's million dollar man. $1.2 million per season to be precise. That's what it took to entice him to leave the Brisbane Broncos and head to the Gold Coast in 2021. Fifita is big and very dangerous in attack on the edge. Corey Harawira-Naera was recruited by the Raiders in the middle of last year - with an eye to finding a replacement for John Bateman. However, he started season 2021 on the sidenlines and in NSW Cup, after an off season, off field incident. He won a starting second row spot in the Round 7 loss to the Cowboys, and he's probably been in his best form in green in the past few weeks. Fifita, however, still wins this match-up.

My tip: The Raiders are 6.5 point favourites. They won the previous contest between the two clubs this year and the Titans are on a four game losing streak. But the numbers suggest that there's not that much difference between the teams in 2021. You really wouldn't want to be betting your house on either team to win this game. The Titans have the better attack - and if they can get a bit of momentum, the Raiders could find them hard to handle. The Raiders have shown that they are susceptible to a second half fade, after getting to some good leads. For mine, it is hard to tip the Raiders until they show that they can consistently play for 80 minutes and get some wins. Titans by two.

What they're saying:

Xavier Savage on his unexpected NRL debut against the Dragons: "My mum and sister flew down for the match. My mum had said 'I am going to regret it if I don’t come down. I know something is going to happen'. I ran straight to her when I got called off. It was a very surreal moment for me, I have been through a lot growing up. I can’t believe that I actually got out there and fulfilled my childhood dream."

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Matt Timoko
19. Hudson Young

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 19-20)
Curtis Scott, Stood down (Indefinite)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)

Gold Coast Titans

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Phillip Sami
3. Brian Kelly
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Corey Thompson
6. Ashley Taylor
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Erin Clark
10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11. Kevin Proctor
12. David Fifita
13. Tyrone Peachey

14. Beau Fermor
15. Sam Lisone
16. Moeaki Fotuaika
17. Jaimin Jolliffe

18. Sam Stone
19. Sam McIntyre

Injury/Suspension

NA

Officials

Referee: Matt Cecchin
Touch judges: Darian Furner, Belinda Sharpe
Video referee: Steve Chiddy

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersTitans

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Rd 16 V Titans: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m always pumped for Raiders footy.

Looking forward to this..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

We're losing today... remember the titans
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Game day. One team who can't attack vs another who can't defend. Should be interesting at least

Hopefully Wighton plays
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

radicalraider wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:03 am We're losing today... remember the titans
I'm not sure anyone takes you seriously anymore Mr insider :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:
radicalraider wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:03 am We're losing today... remember the titans
I'm not sure anyone takes you seriously anymore Mr insider :roflmao
BJ Mole is batting at a higher percentage than radicalraider and my scoops are 100% made up.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Canberra Milk wrote:Game day. One team who can't attack vs another who can't defend. Should be interesting at least
Ah the old stoppable force versus a movable object!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: July 3, 2021, 10:55 am
Canberra Milk wrote:Game day. One team who can't attack vs another who can't defend. Should be interesting at least
The issue is it’s also a team that can attack versus a team that can’t defend.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 3, 2021, 10:55 am
The issue is it’s also a team that can attack versus a team that can’t defend.
Ah the old… bugger Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Plenty to watch out for today...

Crokers contribution.

Williams and Hodgo working together. If Sam is mooted as a genuine halfback contender for next season we'll need to see him show it. Signs with CHN look promising.

Simo at FB experiment so far has one very good game, one good game (quietish attack but pretty competent in tricky wet conditions).

Kris defensively.

Lui- is there signs of life or has he just lost the little 5% that was keeping him FG viable?

Starling off the bench- is RIcky going to give him anything to actually do? Otherwise you might as well play Havilii, 2 forwards and an outide back.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Tell you what, if we can't put at least 20 on this Titans team then we're not serious, forget the top 8

Turbo got 5 assists and 3 tries vs them, so if Simo is 1/5 of a Turbo, he might get one assist and half a try...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Last game, I said to Ms Bon that the way things were going Corey Norman would score the winning try...

So today I expect a man of the match performance from Ash Taylor.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: July 3, 2021, 11:40 am Williams and Hodgo working together. If Sam is mooted as a genuine halfback contender for next season we'll need to see him show it. Signs with CHN look promising.
Sam is always brought up as a genuine halfback contender but everything we have seen of him over the years confirms that he is a back up half at best. We definitely need to be bringing in someone next year, even if it means we'll be taking a bit of a gamble.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Lui_Bon wrote: July 3, 2021, 2:39 pm Last game, I said to Ms Bon that the way things were going Corey Norman would score the winning try...

So today I expect a man of the match performance from Ash Taylor.
I could imagine Ash Taylor having the game of his career leading to us signing him on overs
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of this evening's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans. The weather has been sunny and fine today, but it has turned cold and dark. There's been a few drops of rain, but it has held off.

Here are the final team line ups. The Raiders are 1-17. Join us for live scores and chat from 5:30pm... and please jump in with your own commentary!

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Matt Timoko

Gold Coast Titans

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Phillip Sami
3. Brian Kelly
4. Patrick Herbert
5. Corey Thompson
6. Ashley Taylor
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Erin Clark
10. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
11. Kevin Proctor
12. David Fifita
16. Moeaki Fotuaika

13. Tyrone Peachey
14. Beau Fermor
15. Sam Lisone
17. Jaimin Jolliffe

18. Sam Stone
The Greenhouse score update service
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-PJ- wrote: July 3, 2021, 7:09 am I’m always pumped for Raiders footy.

Looking forward to this..
You’re no dribbler pal.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 3, 2021, 11:40 am If Sam is mooted as a genuine halfback contender for next season
After 11 years of Sam Williams are we really still doing this
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 3, 2021, 4:28 pm
BadnMean wrote: July 3, 2021, 11:40 am If Sam is mooted as a genuine halfback contender for next season
Pretty wild :lol:
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Botman wrote: July 3, 2021, 4:38 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: July 3, 2021, 4:28 pm
Pretty wild :lol:
It's how we roll at the Raiders :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Can you imagine any other team going 5-6+ years deep with a halfback who just hasnt delivered at all?
Remarkable stuff.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

I wonder if Jordan is going to line up on the right or go back outside croker
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Botman wrote: July 3, 2021, 5:12 pm Can you imagine any other team going 5-6+ years deep with a halfback who just hasnt delivered at all?
Remarkable stuff.
Yes,he’d make a great contestant on survivor
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Always enjoy the anticipation of a Raiders game.

At half time, Papa to get a short back and sides, get rid of the mullet.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: July 3, 2021, 5:12 pm Can you imagine any other team going 5-6+ years deep with a halfback who just hasnt delivered at all?
Remarkable stuff.
It's a bit like a timid character and highly average player being made captain of your side, and then given a long term deal on exorbitant money when he's shot to bits.

Yeah?
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

afgtnk wrote: July 3, 2021, 5:19 pm
Remarkable stuff.
It's a bit like a timid character and highly average player being made captain of your side, and then given a long term deal on exorbitant money when he's shot to bits.

Yeah?
Fires his usual toxic shot before a ball is kicked...... theres more to come though, rest assured
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Remarkable stuff.

Yeah?
What you mean alphabet???? :roflmao
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

#Uptheforklifts
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Remarkable stuff.

Yeah?
They made him captain?!!
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Anyway let's do this Raiders :cmon
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Fa'asualmalowei could play for 20 years and I'd still never quite know how to spell his name
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Gold Coast Titans on the field... Now Percy Knight to sound the Viking Horn to start the Viking Clap. Now here come the Raiders! Titans kick off, we are underway!
The Greenhouse score update service
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 3, 2021, 5:30 pm Fa'asualmalowei could play for 20 years and I'd still never quite know how to spell his name
It’s easy
“Tino”
:lol:

Good start for our guys
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Poor pass from Simmo, just needed to hold it