Titans 13+
28%

Total votes: 18

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2021 Rd 16 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -PJ- »

Sams been around so long and has gone back and forth to CBR a few times.

This isn’t even 100 FG games for us is it ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Croker, ugh. Not this again. Especially at the expense of Timoko.

Rick’s selections and insistence on his outdated style of play make this team basically unwatchable in 2021
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-PJ- wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:36 pm Sams been around so long and has gone back and forth to CBR a few times.

It’s 100 NRL first grade games. 96 for the Raiders. He played 4 for St George Illawarra.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:13 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:36 pm Sams been around so long and has gone back and forth to CBR a few times.

It’s 100 NRL first grade games. 96 for the Raiders. He played 4 for St George Illawarra.
Thank you.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:11 pm
RedRaider wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:05 pm I have no issue with Sutton at lock. He has been good there this year.

Hopefully they have been practicing running through the defensive line at training.
Hasn't been that good there. Most one dimensional prop lock in the comp. Not necessarily his fault but shows Sticky's stubbornness and unwillingness to learn by continuing to play toilers in the 13
It's like thinking CNK is a top fullback without seeing what Trbo, Teddy, Latrell, RTS, Gutho, Paps have clear daylight between them the way the game is played... even Brimson and Laurie...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sutton has been unquestionably one of our best players this year and should be in our team.
Absolute stud.

He's not a 2021 V'Landysball #13.
Prior to Vlandysball a lock was ultimately a middle forward with not a lot of difference between an 8 or 10... that has dramatically shifted. We're seeing the reintroduction of a different sort of middle forward player. Sutton is not it. He's not a 2021 lock.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Croker in for Timoko. Back to 2019 we go. Titans by 14
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Out of curiosity have we got Timoko locked into a decent contract?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 7:25 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: June 29, 2021, 5:27 pm hoping that this is just a part of what needs to be done for us to reach the inevitable outcome...
I think it is but you can never be too sure with this club.
It never plays out straightforward when it comes to our club. It's always a weird curve ball.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:58 pm Out of curiosity have we got Timoko locked into a decent contract?
End 2022.

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 70#p115470
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: June 29, 2021, 9:09 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:58 pm Out of curiosity have we got Timoko locked into a decent contract?
End 2022.

Surely you'd be looking at locking him in for a couple more years before he hits the market
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 29, 2021, 9:15 pm
End 2022.

Surely you'd be looking at locking him in for a couple more years before he hits the market
Thanks GE -

Raiders Pat - agree it would be good to lock him in longer but I don’t imagine it would be in his interests to sign beyond this till he has the chance to establish himself and see what he is worth.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Good luck to our club captain in his return game.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: June 29, 2021, 10:22 pm Good luck to our club captain in his return game.

Good luck to us all
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 29, 2021, 9:15 pm
End 2022.

Now why would we go do something as rational as that?
I mean, the ink is barely dry on that spring chicken Croker’s contract…
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:46 pm Sutton has been unquestionably one of our best players this year and should be in our team.
Absolute stud.

Prior to Vlandysball a lock was ultimately a middle forward with not a lot of difference between an 8 or 10... that has dramatically shifted. We're seeing the reintroduction of a different sort of middle forward player. Sutton is not it. He's not a 2021 lock.
I was going to make a thread about this before, but for me I think the time has come to move Elliott there. As per Vlandysball, I think his lateral movement in defence is struggling a bit, and he's been found wanting.

Conversely, I think his ability with ball in hand is wasted being restricted to one side of the field. At the same time, we've set him to play slow and predictable block plays almost exclusively with Jack, with further negates the ability to has to play what's in front of him.

He's always been a strong line runner in terms of his intelligence and the way he adapts to the defensive line, but in today's game probably doesn't quite have the athleticism and speed to take full advantage of it. I'd really like the club to look at signing a new fast and agile edge player at some point in this next six months to a year and move Elliot to 13.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

We are really a stupid club when it comes to how we operate…
I don’t know why we think or expect nice things.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 29, 2021, 11:51 pm
Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:46 pm Sutton has been unquestionably one of our best players this year and should be in our team.
Absolute stud.

I was going to make a thread about this before, but for me I think the time has come to move Elliott there. As per Vlandysball, I think his lateral movement in defence is struggling a bit, and he's been found wanting.

Conversely, I think his ability with ball in hand is wasted being restricted to one side of the field. At the same time, we've set him to play slow and predictable block plays almost exclusively with Jack, with further negates the ability to has to play what's in front of him.

He's always been a strong line runner in terms of his intelligence and the way he adapts to the defensive line, but in today's game probably doesn't quite have the athleticism and speed to take full advantage of it. I'd really like the club to look at signing a new fast and agile edge player at some point in this next six months to a year and move Elliot to 13.
Everything you have said I agree with, however Elliot defending in the middle is a liability.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Personally I think he's more than fine in the middle. He's still got enough agility and athleticism to be quite effective there, and chances of being isolated in the middle are much reduced compared to the edge. Add to that he's always been a hard worker.

Having two dynamic ball runners on either edge gives the attack a better symmetry I feel. In this day and age you've got to look it spread it wide early and have players capable of making solid dents in yardage when you do, as opposed to rucking it out only in the middle third where there's limited space (i.e. what we do). Yardage has just never been Elliott's game.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

LastRaider wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:49 pm Croker in for Timoko. Back to 2019 we go. Titans by 14
Grand finalists?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’d be interested to see alphabet’s idea with Whitehead.

Even if it sucked it would show that the team is experimenting with ways to adapt, instead of this stupid arrogance that sticking to their systems will bring back wins.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 29, 2021, 11:51 pm
Absolute stud.

Interestingly he's played very limited time in lock for us and each time he did i thought he was one of the best players on the park, i remember many moons back floating the idea of him being the lock and having Tapine out on the edge... probably worked out for the best going with Tapine in the middle but my general philosophy is the more Whitehead touches the footy, the better.

I think the two i think are most suited to V'landysball is Whitehead and Havilii
I wouldnt be opposed to trialing either, or both.... as gangers alluded to, what else is there to do in season 2021 but to start trying things to see what we can take into 2022
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

That could work from a squad perspective. I have no problems with Elliots defence in the middle.

He did play well there for us for a few games- but then it came to look like the workload vs the big boys was wearing him down. That was under the old, bash and grind style of footy. The middles are smaller now (he fits right in, even bigger than plenty of locks) and less bash and grind. So I think he'd do a good job.

Elliot + Havilii is interesting, assuming Hodgo goes to Bronco's. Gives us cover for STarling if needed + he is an offload threat so we trade 1 style of ball playing threat for another kind (offloads) when we switch. Havilii would need to size down a few kg and get fitter. He looked gassed after 2 touches every time he played this year and his output was poor as a result. Hasn't looked like himself. I do remember articles years back saying he had stopped training to play 80 and was focussing on size and power to be an impact bench forward with hooking as a the sideline.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:I’d be interested to see alphabet’s idea with Whitehead.

Even if it sucked it would show that the team is experimenting with ways to adapt, instead of this stupid arrogance that sticking to their systems will bring back wins.
Nah Ricky's going to roll with 6 middles (essentially props) in the 17 until V'landys changes the rules again. Then we'll be OK.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Yeah I like the whitehead to the middle idea.

Right now though we have way to much of our cap locked up in the middle with two props and two benches covered by
- papa
- lui
- James
- Corey
- Sia
- emre
- Sutton
- tapine

All would be on decent coin…

Really only need 4 quality middles and then some young benchies to cover…

By contrast our second rower stocks are very thin…
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

papabear wrote: June 30, 2021, 8:48 am Yeah I like the whitehead to the middle idea.

Right now though we have way to much of our cap locked up in the middle with two props and two benches covered by
- papa
- lui
- James
- Corey
- Sia
- emre
- Sutton
- tapine

I've mentioned this before but that's why I think it wouldn't hurt if we let one or two on that list go if we need to and bring in a second rower. It's pretty much a no brainer when you're looking at how to best upgrade our team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

papabear wrote: June 30, 2021, 8:48 am Yeah I like the whitehead to the middle idea.

- papa
- lui
- James
- Corey
- Sia
- emre
- Sutton
- tapine

Of those Sia will probably hang them up, Corey should be let to explore his options for 2022 + beyond, Lui can be let go.

Leaves us with
Papa - James - Emre- Sutton- Tapine + young guys (Medlyn, O'Donnell, Rushton).
+ Whitehead, Young, Havilii who are all versatile players as legitimate middle options. That's plenty imo.

I'm assuming Hodgo might go, Tapine is unsettled but signed long term and probably stays once the club rights the ship.

Let those 3 go, recruit an edge to the squad- or mobile/skilled lock if Whitehead and Young are still considered edges.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: June 30, 2021, 8:10 am That could work from a squad perspective. I have no problems with Elliots defence in the middle.

He did play well there for us for a few games- but then it came to look like the workload vs the big boys was wearing him down. That was under the old, bash and grind style of footy. The middles are smaller now (he fits right in, even bigger than plenty of locks) and less bash and grind. So I think he'd do a good job.

Elliot + Havilii is interesting, assuming Hodgo goes to Bronco's. Gives us cover for STarling if needed + he is an offload threat so we trade 1 style of ball playing threat for another kind (offloads) when we switch. Havilii would need to size down a few kg and get fitter. He looked gassed after 2 touches every time he played this year and his output was poor as a result. Hasn't looked like himself. I do remember articles years back saying he had stopped training to play 80 and was focussing on size and power to be an impact bench forward with hooking as a the sideline.
Yeah if Havilii was going to be used in that role, he'd need to lose a bit of weight and get super fit
i mentioned it a few weeks ago but if you look at what Brandon Smith does for the Storm @13, i dont think you have to squint too hard to see Havilii being potentially a poor mans version of that
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: June 30, 2021, 9:43 am Of those Sia will probably hang them up, Corey should be let to explore his options for 2022 + beyond, Lui can be let go.

Leaves us with
Papa - James - Emre- Sutton- Tapine + young guys (Medlyn, O'Donnell, Rushton).
+ Whitehead, Young, Havilii who are all versatile players as legitimate middle options. That's plenty imo.

I'm assuming Hodgo might go, Tapine is unsettled but signed long term and probably stays once the club rights the ship.

Let those 3 go, recruit an edge to the squad- or mobile/skilled lock if Whitehead and Young are still considered edges.
I know people like splitting the two up but I think ideally I'd be running out with our two best props, Papa + Tapine, with Whitehead at lock. Two bench spots would be between Sutton, Guler and James, one would be between Young, Havili and maybe Rushton if he's ready... and the younger guys would be competing for a spot. Then you'd have CHN and a recruit on the edges. There are some good backrowers who will be off contract after this year and next year.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Even if we're not moving Whitehead to lock I think the time's going to come soon where we need to look at the 3 second row rotation. The game's speeding up and he's not getting any younger.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Looking at the bench too, three big boppa props and a hooker, who'll likely get 5-10 minutes only...

Where's the backrow cover? Ricky is just such a slow adopter. "Stubborn". I don't get it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

At the start of the year one of my bold predictions was that Hudson Young would very much be in the frame for a Blues jersey.. it's a shame he's not making firsts.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I think people got way too ahead of themselves with Young, based on that small patch of form last season (albeit very high quality).

Most forwards bar Sutton have struggled this season so I'll reserve more judgement until they all improve along with the team, but I feel like this is regression to the mean for him too.

To me he's trapped between two positions at the moment, not being good enough for either, but his shot is gonna have to be the middle.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

afgtnk wrote: June 30, 2021, 1:28 pm I think people got way too ahead of themselves with Young, based on that small patch of form last season (albeit very high quality).

Most forwards bar Sutton have struggled this season so I'll reserve more judgement until they all improve along with the team, but I feel like this is regression to the mean for him too.

To me he's trapped between two positions at the moment, not being good enough for either, but his shot is gonna have to be the middle.
Fans will routinely overrate their own players and Young was no different.

People were locking in Seb Kris as our starting centre for the next decade based on about a month of FG level play against average teams such as Tigers, Sharks and Titans.
Up The Milk