Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Raiders

Former Dragons five-eighth, Gareth Widdop, has attracted interest from Canberra about potentially replacing George Williams in the Raiders’ No.7 jersey. The Raiders have confirmed interest but no offer has yet been made. Widdop’s manager is requesting around $500,000 a season. The Warriors are also interested.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dragon ... 580xh.html
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by Botman »

Hmmm thats an interesting option. I wouldnt mind it at all. Not idea how he's travelled over in the ESL since leaving but always thought he was a pretty handy footballer when he was in the NRL

Edit: he's 32 though, so that's not ideal. Maybe a bandaid solution to give us time to find a longer term option
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Get it done!! The perfect bridge option, a season of development for Schneider and learning from an accomplished footballer, who has played both in the NRL and super league. Will give Wighton a lot more room to roam and unleash his running game
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Could do a lot worse than Widdop for a couple of years at $500k while we try to find a long term halfback. Although last time we signed a 32yo former top class NRL halfback returning from a few years in Superleague it didn't turn out that great.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:47 pm Could do a lot worse than Widdop for a couple of years at $500k while we try to find a long term halfback. Although last time we signed a 32yo former top class NRL halfback returning from a few years in Superleague it didn't turn out that great.
But the 32 year Jason Smith did work out. Lets go, baaayyybeee!
:lol:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:47 pm Could do a lot worse than Widdop for a couple of years at $500k while we try to find a long term halfback. Although last time we signed a 32yo former top class NRL halfback returning from a few years in Superleague it didn't turn out that great.
What an Orfull time it was..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:38 pm Hmmm thats an interesting option. I wouldnt mind it at all. Not idea how he's travelled over in the ESL since leaving but always thought he was a pretty handy footballer when he was in the NRL

Edit: he's 32 though, so that's not ideal. Maybe a bandaid solution to give us time to find a longer term option
He was pretty poor last year, but much better this.

It's hard to judge, as Steve Price is not a good coach and the playing style makes Sticky look expansive.

There is a route to making this happen now. I think the reason there were difficulties with Williams' release is that he was about to join Warrington, rather than Wigan. Warrington don't have the cap space for him this year, so it was a deal for 2022.

If the Raiders were to pick up Widdop now, that frees up Warrington to sign Williams - which they'll be keen to do.

In a World Cup year, Williams will want to be playing, which could lead to him signing for Wigan immediately, so there is a danger point for Warrington around waiting.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

He’s 32, if we think Schneider is the goods, he could provide a bridge between the two. Not a long-term solution.

But since we’ve got a bit of a war chest and he only wants 500k it might be worth it.

Also solves the goalkicker question.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

MrPosh wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:01 pm
Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:38 pm Hmmm thats an interesting option. I wouldnt mind it at all. Not idea how he's travelled over in the ESL since leaving but always thought he was a pretty handy footballer when he was in the NRL

It's hard to judge, as Steve Price is not a good coach and the playing style makes Sticky look expansive.

There is a route to making this happen now. I think the reason there were difficulties with Williams' release is that he was about to join Warrington, rather than Wigan. Warrington don't have the cap space for him this year, so it was a deal for 2022.

If the Raiders were to pick up Widdop now, that frees up Warrington to sign Williams - which they'll be keen to do.

In a World Cup year, Williams will want to be playing, which could lead to him signing for Wigan immediately, so there is a danger point for Warrington around waiting.
Thanks for that, always appreciate your insight into all things ESL footy. :thumbsup
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

We’d need to do a proper medical on him not like Orford, when he left the NRL his quality of play was good he just couldn’t stay ont he field.

I believe he had shoulder issue after shoulder issue, does anyone know if he’s missed much footy through injury in the SL?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

No idea how he has performed since leaving NRL…
At $500k it’s another calculated risk… cheaper than $900k that Johnson was chasing so why not?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

He left the Dragons for the UK due to homesickness didn’t he?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:30 pm He left the Dragons for the UK due to homesickness didn’t he?
And now he’s had enough of family and can’t wait to get out of ENG..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:30 pm He left the Dragons for the UK due to homesickness didn’t he?
And now he’s had enough of family and can’t wait to get out of ENG..
Yes, this one is bizarre. I think it was last off season there was talk that he was now homesick for Australia.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It is strange but i feel George Williams is probably headed for a very similar trajectory.
I'll be surprised if he's not back here in the NRL 2-3 years from now.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

No. He left the UK at 11 or 12 years old.

I think he had a desire to play over here to experience what he'd missed, but I don't recall it ever being a homesick thing - his home has been Australia for such a long time.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Widdope or dufty aren't winning us a comp before our window locks shut in 2 yrs.. we need Brandon Smith if dogmatic hodgo is leaving.. give him a deal he can't refuse
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hmmmm I fear this is not the right path to tread.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Ugh. Not too keen on an NRL cast-off who'll be 33 if he laces up for us. Was underwhelming for the Dragons, notwithstanding his clueless coach.

I think they've been trying to generate interest for him to come back here for a while now, yet there hasn't seemed to be any takers - bit of a worry given that low price too. Wouldn't be the worst option, but geez it's definitely not much to get excited about.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

It’s either going to be a Jason Smith or Matt Awful type of outcome…

I don’t have any confidence in it and that’s probably because I haven’t seen him play in an age..

33 when he last laced a boot too? Sheesh… I’d probably pass on it.
Last edited by GreenMachine on June 14, 2021, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

How is he relative to Austin?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Postman Pat wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:21 pm We’d need to do a proper medical on him not like Orford, when he left the NRL his quality of play was good he just couldn’t stay ont he field.

I believe he had shoulder issue after shoulder issue, does anyone know if he’s missed much footy through injury in the SL?
2019 for the dragons he played 10/24
2020 for warrington he played 13/20
This year looks like hes only missed 1 or 2 games though so far
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:57 pm It’s either going to be a Jason Smith or Matt awful type of outcome…

I don’t have any confidence in it and that’s probably because I haven’t seen him play in an age..

33 when he laces a boot too? Sheesh… I’d probably pass on it.
Yeah my initial reaction was like "Oh ok, that might be ok" but on googling and finding out he was 32 already... took most of the wind out of the sails
Probably firmly in the "For that money, we're probably better with Sam Williams and keeping the cap space" vibe

The reality is starting to set in that our halfback for next year is not going to be very good.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:28 pm No idea how he has performed since leaving NRL…
At $500k it’s another calculated risk… cheaper than $900k that Johnson was chasing so why not?
Johnsons not asking for 900k.

‘I’m not asking for $900,000 a season’: Johnson sets record straight after Sharks axing

Off-contract Cronulla star Shaun Johnson knows he will never get another $900,000-a-season deal. And he says he certainly hasn’t asked for one.

“I’ve seen people talking about me asking for $900,000, and that’s simply not the case,” Johnson said. “I haven’t had any negotiations with a club about money, including the Sharks.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-m-no ... 580hf.html
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:07 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:57 pm It’s either going to be a Jason Smith or Matt awful type of outcome…

Yeah my initial reaction was like "Oh ok, that might be ok" but on googling and finding out he was 32 already... took most of the wind out of the sails
Probably firmly in the "For that money, we're probably better with Sam Williams and keeping the cap space" vibe

The reality is starting to set in that our halfback for next year is not going to be very good.
Yeah I’m in that camp…
Keep the cap for a play at someone in 2022 for 2023..
I’d be making an offer to Brandon Smith …he can play 13 as good as any..
Would make a play at Dylan Brown too…
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Imagine in 2020.. the rules didn't change.. hodgo didn't do ACL.. we still had Bj and Sezer..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:10 pm

Yeah I’m in that camp…
I cant see Para letting Brown go, or why he'd want to leave.
But im on board with cheese, he actually would suit Stuart and his style really well, because he can give you 50-60 minutes of hooker play and play the middle when the Starling player comes. He the Jeff Bezos version of Havilii
Last edited by Botman on June 14, 2021, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Talk about a mediocre signing. Gee I hope the club doesn’t do this.

If Schneider has it in him to be a better than average first grader, he should be knocking the door down this year or by halfway through next… his path shouldn’t be blocked by a 33 year old who still has at that point 18 or 30 months to run on a contract paying him half a mill per year!

A “bridge” halfback shouldn’t be expensive and shouldn’t be on a long deal. Sammy’s a proud loyal servant and he actually fits the bill perfectly. Unless we are getting a real needle mover we shouldn’t be spending an extra cent on halfback in 2022.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:13 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:10 pm

Yeah I’m in that camp…
I cant see Para letting Brown go, or why he'd want to leave.
But im on board with cheese, he actually would suit Stuart and his style really well, because he can give you 50-60 minutes of hooker play and play the middle when the Starling player comes. He the Jeff Bezos version of Havilii
On Brown, you’d sell him on the notion of running his own team (instead of being No.2) behind Moses…
We could easily pay more than Parra given their cap commitments..
Plus Brad Arthur’s son is going to eventually be given a push into the starting side and that might be enough for Parra to part ways …

It’s not a lock for happening, but I’d make him an offer that Parra can’t compete with and see what shakes…
He has the tools and is young..

Otherwise investment in Brandon Smith and keep Hodgson on a further 2 years at a lower rate. I know the club are keen to keep Hodgson on in a coaching role down the track so sell him on that…

You can then play an inexperienced Schneider as you will have Hodgson, Wighton and Smith around him…

6. Wighton
7. Schneider
9. Hodgson
13.Smith
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

afgtnk wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:58 pm

How is he relative to Austin?
Austin dazzled in his first few months, but has been pretty average since then.

Widdop is considerably the better of the two this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I thought i read Smith wanted to play hooker primarily
But then he seems to have committed the Storm where i think he'll probably play the position he is best suited going forward, being that middle forward link man at #13

Drives you crazy to think the Storm will be rolling out Pap, Munster, Hughes, Grant and Smith in their spine given the spine they've come out of. Imagine supporting a club that operates as well as they do?

Couldnt be me.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Y'all seem to think that if you're 32 you're about to drop dead of old age... it's towards retirement age but it's not *that* bad

Edit: oh 32 this year... ok 33 is pushing it. Would depend on his body so there is a bit of risk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:30 pm Y'all seem to think that if you're 32 you're about to drop dead of old age... it's towards retirement age but it's not *that* bad

Edit: oh 32 this year... ok 33 is pushing it. Would depend on his body so there is a bit of risk
It’s the combination of age and injury history that worry me.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:27 pm I thought i read Smith wanted to play hooker primarily
But then he seems to have committed the Storm where i think he'll probably play the position he is best suited going forward, being that middle forward link man at #13

Drives you crazy to think the Storm will be rolling out Pap, Munster, Hughes, Grant and Smith in their spine given the spine they've come out of. Imagine supporting a club that operates as well as they do?

Couldnt be me.
They regenerated seamlessly…
Haven’t missed a beat… still making Grand Finals for fun…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This is a very physical sport. There arent many effective NRL footballers beyond the age of 32.
I dont like to bet on outliers. Put simply there arent many Cam Smiths in the RL world... you're more likely to get the Matt Orford.

And i dont mind that risk if you think your close and if he's good enough he can put you over the edge. That's not us. Unfortunately. We're not close.