Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Is this the time we mention John Folau for no uncertain reason?

Waiting for the right moment, don’t want to go off too early
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

What is John Folau actually doing at the moment?
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 16, 2021, 6:21 pm Is this the time we mention John Folau for no uncertain reason?

Waiting for the right moment, don’t want to go off too early
GH lore.
Along side
scrapbooks
Player's name - year, profiles (eg fergo2012)
Tony Williams....and
A petrol station
Im just, bicking back being bool
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:What is John Folau actually doing at the moment?
I think he’s a barista at Raiders HQ? He’s always seen having coffees with Don
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Le Cam
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: CNK

Post by Le Cam »

julian87 wrote: June 16, 2021, 5:59 pm I think the club could do a lot worse than Widdop. I think jumping on someone based on potential is the wrong thing and if Widdop is the best stop gap I would not be against it. He’s a good player and if he has something left in his legs it could be ok.

All of the current NRL based options are pretty much no go’s for mine. If you get Widdop for a year and a half on not huge money then you can actually devise a proper plan moving forward rather than jumping on a player for the medium term that is the wrong fit.
Strong agree
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Been having a look at Warrington forum. They’re saying Widdop has been playing well and they’d rather keep him than gain GW who they think has signed or about to. Give Widdop a year and it gives us breathing space…
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

As long as he's cheap and its only this year and next. 500k is too much for a 33 year old who hasnt been playing in the nrl and has injury issues .
350k and it could be worth a punt
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

sprintman wrote: June 16, 2021, 7:50 pm Been having a look at Warrington forum. They’re saying Widdop has been playing well and they’d rather keep him than gain GW who they think has signed or about to. Give Widdop a year and it gives us breathing space…
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. What works regularly in the ESL doesn't work here. They may as well be playing a different game.

English fans rant and rave about guys like Hastings, Sezer, consider them to be top halves, yet they've shown to be highly ordinary at NRL level.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Signing Widdop is the same admission that we won’t be competitive in 2022 that sticking with Sam Williams would be… the only difference is price. I refuse to believe a 33 year old playing in an inferior competition is the answer (any kind of answer) for us next year or beyond
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

afgtnk wrote: June 17, 2021, 4:56 pm
sprintman wrote: June 16, 2021, 7:50 pm Been having a look at Warrington forum. They’re saying Widdop has been playing well and they’d rather keep him than gain GW who they think has signed or about to. Give Widdop a year and it gives us breathing space…
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. What works regularly in the ESL doesn't work here. They may as well be playing a different game.

English fans rant and rave about guys like Hastings, Sezer, consider them to be top halves, yet they've shown to be highly ordinary at NRL level.
We do no such thing.

Hastings is a good player, but nowhere near an international. He'll be an upgrade for the Tigers next year, but not someone who will move the needle.

Sezer has been a run of the mill half in the ESL. Another Sam Williams or Michael Dobson. Absolutely fine, but not worth a lot of money.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Widdop is playing as a second receiver..,
So yeah, going to be fun watching us play two 5/8ths again after the first experiment failed…

He’s not an organising halfback as many here seem to be obsessed with…

Starting to think we just run with Williams and strengthen other positions…
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

MrPosh wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:14 pm

We do no such thing.

Hastings is a good player, but nowhere near an international. He'll be an upgrade for the Tigers next year, but not someone who will move the needle.

Sezer has been a run of the mill half in the ESL. Another Sam Williams or Michael Dobson. Absolutely fine, but not worth a lot of money.
You sure?

I've been through enough of the English forums to understand what the consensus about them is. Guys like Hastings and Sezer get rated above George Williams, possibly because they're more comfortable with increased space and time - a laughable prospect when considered in NRL conditions.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

How often do average to below average NRL halves go to the ESL and end up blitzing it straight away or winning a Man of Steel award? Austin, Hastings, Dobson, Chase, etc
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

MrPosh wrote:

We do no such thing.

Are you sure?

Hastings won the man of steel award, don’t pretend the comps are comparable. Let’s be honest Rangi Chase won one.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ryan Hall can score 250 odd tries in that comp, but comes up with a duck egg in the NRL playing for the star studded Roosters.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Postman Pat wrote: June 17, 2021, 9:59 pm
MrPosh wrote:

We do no such thing.

Are you sure?

Hastings won the man of steel award, don’t pretend the comps are comparable. Let’s be honest Rangi Chase won one.
Of course they're not comparable, mostly they're not even close - but that doesn't mean plenty of the individual players aren't close.

Players who come from Australia with a reputation can do no wrong in the eyes of the media and the impressionable fans. Especially when they start well, like Blake Austin.

Most fans judge on performance alone, but they're not the ones voting on the awards.

You see the same with the Sydney media playing favourites.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Warrington warns off NRL clubs chasing star Gareth Widdop

Warrington has issued a strong 'hands off' warning to the Raiders and Warriors regarding veteran playmaker Gareth Widdop - even though they are about to sign George Williams from the Raiders.

"I've heard the stories but we haven't had an official request for a release from any NRL club," Warrington boss Karl Fitzpatrick said. "And if we did, we would deny it.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-t ... 2541697deb
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

If this is anywhere near the top of our list of priorities right now then my word are we a basket case of an organisation
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: June 20, 2021, 11:35 am If this is anywhere near the top of our list of priorities right now then my word are we a basket case of an organisation
We’re a basket case regardless.
This is just the cherry on top.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2021, 11:16 am Warrington warns off NRL clubs chasing star Gareth Widdop

Warrington has issued a strong 'hands off' warning to the Raiders and Warriors regarding veteran playmaker Gareth Widdop - even though they are about to sign George Williams from the Raiders.

"I've heard the stories but we haven't had an official request for a release from any NRL club," Warrington boss Karl Fitzpatrick said. "And if we did, we would deny it.

Good. As if the Raiders need to blow another $200K in transfer fees.

That said, I watched Widdop's most recent game and he did look good as a playmaker. Problem is, he didn't seem to be doing much organising.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: June 21, 2021, 12:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 20, 2021, 11:16 am Warrington warns off NRL clubs chasing star Gareth Widdop

That said, I watched Widdop's most recent game and he did look good as a playmaker. Problem is, he didn't seem to be doing much organising.
Yep, just an upfront claim for a transfer fee.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I watched a couple of games he played in early in the season. You know when the best halves reach a certain age, they lose that individual zip in their play and instead take on an organising role, managing the game and getting the best out of the players around them? That's precisely what Widdop was up to, except for the organising role, managing the game and getting the best out of the players around them bit.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Warrington warns off NRL clubs chasing star Gareth Widdop

Does Karl mean they would deny the request, or deny the story?

If they’re denying the story, so far so good Karl

Nickman's love of NSW
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Interestingly I looked on the Wigan Warriors facebook after news broke that Georgey Boy wouldn't be going back there. They didn't seem to care that much, weren't all that fussed about him. "He did well at Canberra because he had good players around him"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

And a quick look at Warrington's facebook now... they really love Widdop. They are hoping Blake Austin is the one to go rather than him, to make way for Georgey
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 23, 2021, 10:32 pm Interestingly I looked on the Wigan Warriors facebook after news broke that Georgey Boy wouldn't be going back there. They didn't seem to care that much, weren't all that fussed about him. "He did well at Canberra because he had good players around him"
Yeah, that's mainly because they're bitter. Wigan fans are particularly one-eyed - even by rugby league standards.

They also have a very very promising young half in Harry Smith, which softens the blow (although Williams should have been the perfect foil for Smith).
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

MrPosh wrote: June 24, 2021, 5:33 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 23, 2021, 10:32 pm Interestingly I looked on the Wigan Warriors facebook after news broke that Georgey Boy wouldn't be going back there. They didn't seem to care that much, weren't all that fussed about him. "He did well at Canberra because he had good players around him"
Yeah, that's mainly because they're bitter. Wigan fans are particularly one-eyed - even by rugby league standards.

They also have a very very promising young half in Harry Smith, which softens the blow (although Williams should have been the perfect foil for Smith).
If he’s that promising Mr Posh, maybe we should get him in our system??? :D
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
MrPosh wrote: June 24, 2021, 5:33 am

If he’s that promising Mr Posh, maybe we should get him in our system??? :D
He's at Wigan so by default He's in our system already

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

T_R wrote: June 22, 2021, 12:32 pm

I watched a couple of games he played in early in the season. You know when the best halves reach a certain age, they lose that individual zip in their play and instead take on an organising role, managing the game and getting the best out of the players around them? That's precisely what Widdop was up to, except for the organising role, managing the game and getting the best out of the players around them bit.
:lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Widdop return on ice

Gareth Widdop has gone cold on a return to the NRL. Widdop was expected to seek a release from Super League club Warrington to come back to Australia next season for family reasons. The Raiders and Warriors were interested in signing the NRL premiership winner, but it now looks like Widdop will remain in England.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 76bb25cf92
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

But radical raider said he signed for 2 5 years
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I went searching for a media report and that was the latest I could come up with.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: June 26, 2021, 10:53 am Widdop return on ice

Gareth Widdop has gone cold on a return to the NRL. Widdop was expected to seek a release from Super League club Warrington to come back to Australia next season for family reasons. The Raiders and Warriors were interested in signing the NRL premiership winner, but it now looks like Widdop will remain in England.

Read more: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nr ... 76bb25cf92
Dodged a bullet
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Raiders666 wrote:But radical raider said he signed for 2 5 years
First Dufty, now this. What will become of us if we cant we trust anonymous online sources anymore

Nickman's love of NSW
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Thank goodness for that.