Wests Tigers deny interest in Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Wests Tigers deny interest in Josh Hodgson

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson edges closer to Broncos switch

Josh Hodgson continues to be linked to the Brisbane Broncos according to The Australian's Brent Read.

"The rumours about Josh won’t go away," Read said. “I think they’re close to making a call on that. The issue is he is on big money next year and Brisbane will have to give him an extension. I don’t think Canberra have any appetite to chip in any money."

Read more and audio: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/brent- ... ure-176027

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b17423ba7d
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Josh Hodgson edges closer to switch to Brisbane Broncos

Post by Botman »

" I don’t think Canberra have any appetite to chip in any money."

Nor should we
If this is what he and Broncos want, then I'll be sad but understand it... but if im the club, im not releasing him unless it's a clean break.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:35 pm " I don’t think Canberra have any appetite to chip in any money."

Nor should we
If this is what he and Broncos want, then I'll be sad but understand it... but if im the club, im not releasing him unless it's a clean break.
100%
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sensibly pointed out on Twitter... Read also said: "As far as I know Brisbane haven’t approached Canberra about Hodgson. I’m not sure if they have approached him personally."

So it is pretty clear where the story is coming from...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Who **** cares?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'm more interested in the "fact" that Ken Maumalo is being "shopped around" by his manager...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:59 pm Who **** cares?
*Raises hand* I really don't like this. Hodgson has been great for this club and is still one of the best players here... and **** the Broncos.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hodgo has played his best footy. He won’t have a Benji end to his career
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, Hodgo was toast at the beginning of 2020. He refuses to change the way he plays and tries way too hard to be the main playmaker of the side (which he is no longer capable of), so it's hard to see a great deal of value keeping him around.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Interested to know what he's agitating for?

He's on big money here and he's back starting.. what more does he want

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I really wish we could get out of the headlines for all this **** already... This year is **** the pits... The players need to STFU and actually do what they are paid for (win games) and the coaching staff need to get their heads our of their arses and get the team fit enough to play more than 20 minutes with-out needing a lie down.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Probably another year or two TW.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe he wants the full Australian experience..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:57 pm Sensibly pointed out on Twitter... Read also said: "As far as I know Brisbane haven’t approached Canberra about Hodgson. I’m not sure if they have approached him personally."

Is that just a legal cover to prevent being sued for technically suggesting Broncos may be cheating the anti-tampering vs contracted players rules (when people know clubs do it, you just can't talk about it)?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2021, 6:45 am
greeneyed wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:57 pm Sensibly pointed out on Twitter... Read also said: "As far as I know Brisbane haven’t approached Canberra about Hodgson. I’m not sure if they have approached him personally."

Is that just a legal cover to prevent being sued for technically suggesting Broncos may be cheating the anti-tampering vs contracted players rules (when people know clubs do it, you just can't talk about it)?
It’s probably factual. Just remember who his manager is.... Moses. I doubt anyone from Brisbane, Canberra or Hodgo has spoken directly, but I’m sure discussions are happening via a deregistered player agent.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 10, 2021, 10:06 pm I'm more interested in the "fact" that Ken Maumalo is being "shopped around" by his manager...
If that is true we should be ALL OVER IT. If we get Dufty we improve our speed, support and ball playing- but we get a little smaller. If we can play Savage on a wing next year, with Dufty, we are significantly faster and on even footing with most teams for speed.

Our other back 5 problem is yards. We don't have a really big unit amonst them- just Rapana who is decent size and plays about 10kg heavier through attitude. If we get Maumalo in we solve our yards issue and get some variation in size/style into our back 5.

Also the issue of experience- if we end up with HSS, Savage, Semi (e.g we don't recruit more back 5) in the lineup we have 3 rookies and it's an inexperienced lineup. Things look a lot differnt with Maumalo who has 100+ NRL games, 13 Test matches and is not old, he's only 26.

1 Dufty, 50+ NRL games. Small, fast, skillful.
2 Maumalo, 100+ NRL games, 10+ Tests. Huge, powerful, experienced.
3 HSS/KRis/Timoko, rookie.
4 CNK, 50+ NRL games. Hard working, safe, decent footwork, good yards.
5 Savage, rookie. Fast.

So we'd have a young back 5 but not an inexperienced one. Good.

Means we can move Scott on if we like as we have CNK who will do a solid shift at centre, judging from his TEst performance and play style.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

If we want speed then Maumalo isn't the direction we should be heading in. If we want a workhorse, sure, he's great coming off his own line.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Hodgson wants more years and we (rightfully) aren’t offering it…

No grudges. Great guy and leader and I have no problem in him seeking a good deal elsewhere for his future…
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Josh Hodgson edges closer to switch to Brisbane Broncos

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:59 pm Who **** cares?
*Raises hand* I really don't like this. Hodgson has been great for this club and is still one of the best players here... and **** the Broncos.
Honestly, I love Hodgo and I wish him all the happiness in the world. If he can get that at Brisbane, then I hope he can.

He’s obviously unhappy at the Raiders and he’s being treated pretty damn awfully by the club IMO, so that why I felt the need for the original comment.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 11, 2021, 7:34 am If we want speed then Maumalo isn't the direction we should be heading in. If we want a workhorse, sure, he's great coming off his own line.
If your back 3 potentially includes Dufty and Savage, your going to NEED a Maumalo or similar “workhorse” for hard yardage…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Not sure Hodgson has been a victim of anything aside from bad luck with his injuries…

He also broke the number one rule at any workplace..
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 11, 2021, 6:58 am
Lui_Bon wrote: June 10, 2021, 10:06 pm I'm more interested in the "fact" that Ken Maumalo is being "shopped around" by his manager...
If that is true we should be ALL OVER IT. If we get Dufty we improve our speed, support and ball playing- but we get a little smaller. If we can play Savage on a wing next year, with Dufty, we are significantly faster and on even footing with most teams for speed.

Our other back 5 problem is yards. We don't have a really big unit amonst them- just Rapana who is decent size and plays about 10kg heavier through attitude. If we get Maumalo in we solve our yards issue and get some variation in size/style into our back 5.

Also the issue of experience- if we end up with HSS, Savage, Semi (e.g we don't recruit more back 5) in the lineup we have 3 rookies and it's an inexperienced lineup. Things look a lot differnt with Maumalo who has 100+ NRL games, 13 Test matches and is not old, he's only 26.

1 Dufty, 50+ NRL games. Small, fast, skillful.
2 Maumalo, 100+ NRL games, 10+ Tests. Huge, powerful, experienced.
3 HSS/KRis/Timoko, rookie.
4 CNK, 50+ NRL games. Hard working, safe, decent footwork, good yards.
5 Savage, rookie. Fast.

So we'd have a young back 5 but not an inexperienced one. Good.

Means we can move Scott on if we like as we have CNK who will do a solid shift at centre, judging from his TEst performance and play style.
Exactly how I see it.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

I will be pretty sad to see Hodgson running around in Brisbane colours. I think people here forget how important he was to turning around the side. I question if his body is up to it anymore so i wouldn't stand in his way.... its just sad.

That said i do not want the club paying a bloody red cent in freight. Brisbane covers all of it or he stays at Canberra. I would be unbelievably angry to be paying for Hodgson to play for Brisbane. Hes not so busted we need him off our books desperately and he comes off contract at the end of 2022 anyway.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:02 am Not sure Hodgson has been a victim of anything aside from bad luck with his injuries…

Don't talk about Fight Club?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Hodgo will play a blinder this weekend. Do his best to convince the Broncos he's worth a contract extension.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:17 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:02 am Not sure Hodgson has been a victim of anything aside from bad luck with his injuries…

:roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I’m not sure what the club has done to Hodgson that is so bad
He wants financial stability and security, which is fair enough, but as per his own admission, he probably can’t get it here because we’ve got other youngers guys we’re looking to develop for that role

The club seems pretty open in allow him to go and seek that stability and security at another club if that’s what he wants, but we’re not willing to pay any freight

I honestly think right now there is nothing the club could do that some people like Nickman wouldn’t find fault with them for. But this Hodgson situation has been a rare occasion where both player and club have played a pretty straight and respectful bat so far

Sometimes the time line for a player and club just don’t align towards the end of a career. It’s sucks, would love to have seen Hodgson play out his career here, but with a rebuild looming for us, it’s probably best for both sides if we part ways
He gets money and more security, we start rebuilding without him
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 10:24 pm Yep, Hodgo was toast at the beginning of 2020. He refuses to change the way he plays and tries way too hard to be the main playmaker of the side (which he is no longer capable of), so it's hard to see a great deal of value keeping him around.
I can't agree with this.

It looks like the standard "reverse-whitewashing" which happens whenever a player leaves the Raiders.

Fans try and minimise the player's importance in order (IMO) to soften the blow.

Maybe (mostly through through injury) Hodgson missed the boat in becoming the natural successor of Cameron Smith but he is still comfortably in the top echelon of hookers in the world.

1.Dufty
6. Wighton
9. Hodgson

Still looks pretty elite to me on paper.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:17 am

Everybody must have EDIT.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Wait, wait... that's the first rule of EDIT Island.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:33 am

He wants financial stability and security, which is fair enough, but as per his own admission, he probably can’t get it here because we’ve got other youngers guys we’re looking to develop for that role

The club seems pretty open in allow him to go and seek that stability and security at another club if that’s what he wants, but we’re not willing to pay any freight

I honestly think right now there is nothing the club could do that some people like Nickman wouldn’t find fault with them for. But this Hodgson situation has been a rare occasion where both player and club have played a pretty straight and respectful bat so far

Sometimes the time line for a player and club just don’t align towards the end of a career. It’s sucks, would love to have seen Hodgson play out his career here, but with a rebuild looming for us, it’s probably best for both sides if we part ways
Yea i'm still a big believer he should be our starting hooker but i think Greenmachine is right above, Hodgson wants an extension and we don't want to offer one. i'd say this whole situation came about when Hodgsons manager went to the club wanting to extend his deal and we didnt want to risk re-signing him this early on with his injury/age concerns, Hodgson then declares if you don't want me long term then i shouldnt be captain. Moses then goes to other clubs saying Josh isnt happy at canberra as its probably easier and less likely to raise eyebrows than telling Brisbane etc that he's unwanted past his existing deal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 11, 2021, 8:33 am

I honestly think there is nothing that people like YOU could do that I wouldn't find fault with, ****.

Now paint my chicken coop!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Those corn muffins were lousy!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Paint my chicken coop!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Hodgson and his manager have been agitating with almost two seasons left on his contract.

Are the NRL interested in applying their off field rules to even a tiny proportion of their on field rules?

I reckon the way Hodgson plays, he could continue to a good standard into his mid 30s.