Broncos 13+
27%

Total votes: 11

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 Rd 14 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

I reckon Curtis Scott would be feeling a bit flat after death riding Timoko tonight. Timoko’s game won’t have strengthened Scott’s case to be kept on
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:40 pm I liked the backline tonight but lack of speed is still a massive concern. How many times did our backs get in space with one to beat only to be run down by three...
Valemei, Kris, and Rapa don't offer much speed. CNK doesn't either, and Scott offers none. That's why I want Simonsson on one wing with Savage on another, unless we can sign a new winger, whereby Simonsson drops to back up (pending Savage's development). Timoko is probably the fastest centre we have.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Sia talking to every fan lol

What a legend
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:44 pm Simo was a spicy little dynamo back there
Not always where he should be but this is a steep learning curve. Certain gave a lot of spark in attack and was extremely busy. Without CNK and Dufty being held on to, it's his job going forward in 2021.
Looking forward to seeing what he learns from this game.

In a lost season, its something im interested in.
Also, i was a big "get Semi out of here" in the 2020 run but he is starting to pique my interest here in 2021
His handling and defence seem completely ironed out. I'm just a bit concerned by his speed now, but it's not a deal-breaker
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Thomas Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:44 pm Great to see Sia being so good to the fans :clap:
Or after 25 years he really doesn’t want to hear any more of Ricky’s post game addresses
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

A bit awful from us in the last 10 min. But I thought our line speed looked better in the second half.

Bailey was terrific, so too Timoko. I liked the energy of our backline tonight. Papa back in form. We look good with Hodgson at hooker.

I watched all the games this weekend. We are better than Nth Qld, Cronulla, GC, Newcastle, and of course Brisbane. I don't want to get ahead of myself, and it's only the Broncos who were down a man, but we just need a bit of confidence to beat the better teams like Manly, Roosters and Souths. Penrith and Melbourne are miles ahead.

Ricky must have had a good BBQ
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Pete Cash wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:47 pm Sia talking to every fan lol

What a legend
He did that last week at Henson Park when everyone came onto the field as well. Everyone wants to talk to him too it seems.

A genuinely good man - pretty close to Tonguey for me in the 'top bloke' stakes.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:47 pm
Thomas Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:44 pm Great to see Sia being so good to the fans :clap:
Or after 25 years he really doesn’t want to hear any more of Ricky’s post game addresses
:roflmao
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Sam Williams is playing like 2015. 👍
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:46 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:40 pm I liked the backline tonight but lack of speed is still a massive concern. How many times did our backs get in space with one to beat only to be run down by three...
Valemei, Kris, and Rapa don't offer much speed. CNK doesn't either, and Scott offers none. That's why I want Simonsson on one wing with Savage on another, unless we can sign a new winger, whereby Simonsson drops to back up (pending Savage's development). Timoko is probably the fastest centre we have.
We don’t need every back to be a Ferrari but as it stands we have a lot of Kia Carnivals!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:47 pm
Not always where he should be but this is a steep learning curve. Certain gave a lot of spark in attack and was extremely busy. Without CNK and Dufty being held on to, it's his job going forward in 2021.

Also, i was a big "get Semi out of here" in the 2020 run but he is starting to pique my interest here in 2021
His handling and defence seem completely ironed out. I'm just a bit concerned by his speed now, but it's not a deal-breaker
He's learning fast. His speed is not super impressive but its good.
Even when i wanted him out of the team i said he had the traits to be a FG and just needed more time. He wasnt ready.. he is starting to look like someone we might want to keep around.
Still dont think he's ready yet but his leap has been pretty solid imo
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

If Kris is suspended for the crusher, I'm all for seeing what Savage or Hoppa can do on the wing, with Rapa at centre

I don't know much about our 18th man, Elijah Anderson
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

If there is a future this year then we have to beat StG next week. The team tonight looked good but we did stupid things like Sutton trying a low percentage pass in our 20 mtr zone which resulted in a Bris try. Timoko looks the goods at centre and Simmo went well at FB. I think Kriss is a 2nd rower, he is too slow in the centres.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:52 pm

Even when i wanted him out of the team i said he had the traits to be a FG and just needed more time. He wasnt ready.. he is starting to look like someone we might want to keep around.
Without getting ahead of ourselves he was good without being brilliant but I can’t think of him ever having a better game on the wing
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mission accomplished - 2 competition points. I think the SOO training has done Jack the world of good. He has players there who play what they see and he did that himself tonight. Some well placed kicks from him as well. Timoko was good in attack and defence. Built low to the ground but a hard runner, a bit like To'o in attack. Sam Williams ended the match hobbling so hopefully nothing too bad. Papa was dynamic. Lui started strongly. Hodgo gave the ball air and had some good runs himself. Bailey S was a breath of fresh air at the back under the high ball and with his passing skills. A lot to work on, but certainly showed some good potential as a 1.

If I have a criticism it is in the defensive effort to drive the opposition backwards and lock up the ball. Neither happened much during the match. However, a win is a win and I am a happy Raiders fan tonight.
Last edited by RedRaider on June 12, 2021, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:54 pm If Kris is suspended for the crusher, I'm all for seeing what Savage or Hoppa can do on the wing, with Rapa at centre

You a...... you sure about that?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I also thought Guler had his best game this year for us. Dunamis was excellent as well
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Oh - I also liked Jack looping around and linking with Sammy for the CHN try, and Jack sometimes playing on the right hand side

Loved it in the SOO when the two centres and halves for NSW played liked the 80s
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:55 pm

Without getting ahead of ourselves he was good without being brilliant but I can’t think of him ever having a better game on the wing
Given his limited experience and steep learning curve, have a game where he jsut did his job, didnt really **** up at all, handled everything defensively and contributed positively with almost each touch
That's really good progress for him and his physiscal traits are very enticing. He's got a lot to offer if he contines a sharp development route.

I dont know what he's doing off the park but from my view as a fan, i think the club should feel good about his development. Work to do for sure but he's progressing really nicely IMO
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I don’t think Hetherington hit CHN with the shoulder so much as him being set for the tackle with CHN launching head first into him due to the trip. Really bad call the send off
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

You can tell that the team is happier when the besties are all playing together…I did think at the start of the season that Ricky having too many forwards to rotate would confuse him in terms of knowing his best side..

Clearly there is an element of team harmony that he must respect among the forwards and in particular if we keep winning…

They were all great too… Papa, Lui, Tapine and Sia all played well.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

afgtnk wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:56 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:54 pm If Kris is suspended for the crusher, I'm all for seeing what Savage or Hoppa can do on the wing, with Rapa at centre

No one else. I wouldn't move Whitehead or CHN
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

That sent off of the Bris player was a complete joke. There was absolutely no intent by the Bris player. The NRL has to differentiate between intent and an accident.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:00 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:55 pm

Given his limited experience and steep learning curve, have a game where he jsut did his job, didnt really **** up at all, handled everything defensively and contributed positively with almost each touch
That's really good progress for him and his physiscal traits are very enticing. He's got a lot to offer if he contines a sharp development route.

I dont know what he's doing off the park but from my view as a fan, i think the club should feel good about his development. Work to do for sure but he's progressing really nicely IMO
Agree and think we went 2 maybe 3 games too many with Aekens offering nothing. We seem very generous with the opportunity we extend to players in average form
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:44 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:42 pm On a side note..
Loved what Sam Williams did tonight.
Just kept it simple and directed the side around the park neatly.
He’s not the flashiest player but he does the job well…
He doesn't do much himself but he makes others around him play better, I'm convinced
He’s fast in between the ears and that takes pressure off Wighton and is a strong enough voice to overcall Hodgson when needed…
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's not even about intent vs accident to me, it's about whether it's preventable. There was nothing Kobe Hetherington could have done there to pull out
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:01 pm
afgtnk wrote: June 12, 2021, 9:56 pm

No one else. I wouldn't move Whitehead or CHN
There's genuinely half a dozen players I'd play there ahead of Rapa. He's awful in that position.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:01 pm You can tell that the team is happier when the besties are all playing together…I did think at the start of the season that Ricky having too many forwards to rotate would confuse him in terms of knowing his best side..

Clearly there is an element of team harmony that he must respect among the forwards and in particular if we keep winning…

Agree actually and they play even better when the 5th amigo Havili is at hooker... although Hudson Young should be in the team somewhere... not sure where but yeah
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green Taipan wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:02 pm That sent off of the Bris player was a complete joke. There was absolutely no intent by the Bris player. The NRL has to differentiate between intent and an accident.
intent has never been a factor, at least not in the modern age
Actions matter. No player intends to smash a player in the face and concuss them, no player intends to pick a player up and drop them on the head, anymore than a drink driver intends to drive home drunk and tbone some poor sucker

You dont get a pass for the results because of intent
If your actions were reckless and dangerous, the results, regardless of intent, are on you. You cant just hide behind good intentions. You are responsible for your actions.
I could name 20 send offs and sin bins where there was no intent. Including many of our own.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Watching the replay, the Broncos "try" off that forward "pass", is it still a pass if it hits someone's foot first? If it hit the ground instead it's a knock on so couldn't they review it when it hits a foot too? Isn't it only a forward pass if it's caught?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:12 pm
Green Taipan wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:02 pm That sent off of the Bris player was a complete joke. There was absolutely no intent by the Bris player. The NRL has to differentiate between intent and an accident.
intent has never been a factor, at least not in the modern age
Actions matter. No player intends to smash a player in the face and concuss them, no player intends to pick a player up and drop them on the head, anymore than a drink driver intends to drive home drunk and tbone some poor sucker

You dont get a pass for the results because of intent
If your actions were reckless and dangerous, the results, regardless of intent, are on you. You cant just hide behind good intentions. You are responsible for your actions.
I could name 20 send offs and sin bins where there was no intent. Including many of our own.
So you’d be happy seeing the defending player sent off if there was a nasty unintentional head clash in the tackle?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

GreenMachine wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:01 pm You can tell that the team is happier when the besties are all playing together…I did think at the start of the season that Ricky having too many forwards to rotate would confuse him in terms of knowing his best side..

We should stick with the same side next week. I don't think Ryan James comes back in as he hasn't made many metres in his last few games. Sia looked better than Young has. Although he's injured, Horse will be pushing it making first grade for the rest of the year. Hope the coaching staff also push him to lose weight and get fit when he's recuperating
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:06 pm It's not even about intent vs accident to me, it's about whether it's preventable. There was nothing Kobe Hetherington could have done there to pull out
thats the correct argument to make, if you want to make it.
he cant pull out but he was aiming high imo, CHN did fall but he fell from a point of leaping over someone. His strike zone was no different to if he was upright. He leaped up, raising his contact zone, but this is not a case where he as hit high 2-3 feet off the ground. He was hit flush, clean and high at head height if he was standing still.
Hetherington set high looking for a shot, hit high and it's direct contact to the head. It's a sin bin at least and from there sin bin vs send off is iffy

But he had to go based on rules established since magic round.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:12 pm

Agree actually and they play even better when the 5th amigo Havili is at hooker... although Hudson Young should be in the team somewhere... not sure where but yeah
I was thinking the same.. the besties got their way now theyre playing happier
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Good passing off both sides. Safe under the high ball. Strong carries. Big positive involvement.
Not bad for a guy that people said shouldn't be in first grade.
Knew there was something there.