Jordan Rapana re-signs with Green Machine to end 2023

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Jordan Rapana

Post by Pete Cash »

Rapana has been an excellent player for the club, he may have made a few silly errors in his day but nobody could ever fault his effort. Even now he still puts in every week but he is slowing down and isn't finishing to the degree that he used to.

So if he gets a deal from the gold coast we shouldn't stand in his way but I have nothing but I will always love his time at the Raiders.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: June 7, 2021, 9:19 pm Love Rapa, but if he can get a deal to go "home" to the GC where his NRL career began. Then good luck to him.

30yr old wingers have a shelf life.

So how about we trade him for CoreyT, Sami, or Marzhew
Corey Thompson close to the most underrated winger in the comp.
Phillip Sami, don't think I've not seen a player's form nose dive as much as his this season. Hard to believe this is the same guy that ran down JAC.
Marzhew is a back rower playing wing. Good for hit ups coming out of your own end. Not sure he has much else to offer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pete Cash wrote: June 8, 2021, 8:15 am Rapana has been an excellent player for the club, he may have made a few silly errors in his day but nobody could ever fault his effort. Even now he still puts in every week but he is slowing down and isn't finishing to the degree that he used to.

So if he gets a deal from the gold coast we shouldn't stand in his way but I have nothing but I will always love his time at the Raiders.
He's be one of my favourite Raiders of the Sticky coaching era.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The Nickman wrote: June 7, 2021, 3:50 pm I'm not prepared to let the guy leave the club without some sort of controversy.

Can he perhaps get in a fist fight with Donny jr down at the QBN Leagues or something??
I think you mean can he stack on a blue at QBN Leagues when they overcharge him like a wounded bull for a flash feed.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Timbo wrote: June 8, 2021, 8:33 am
The Nickman wrote: June 7, 2021, 3:50 pm I'm not prepared to let the guy leave the club without some sort of controversy.

Can he perhaps get in a fist fight with Donny jr down at the QBN Leagues or something??
I think you mean can he stack on a blue at QBN Leagues when they overcharge him like a wounded bull for a flash feed.
No, because that won't upset Bonehead, it'll just endure him to him further.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be happy to keep him, but if the GC want to pay him overs then I wouldn't begrudge him leaving

The club is probably at a point where it's weighing up an extra year for Raps vs a HSS or Timoko leaving

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

FB rumours?
It’s plausible.He has lived and played there.
Personally I would enjoy seeing him go around here or there for another year or two.
His commitment and passion and especially his heart can’t be overstated.
The bloke plays with every ounce of energy and desire each week.
That spirit isn’t easily replaced in a team environment.
He has played fb,centre,winger and had a crack each time he was asked to do a job there.
And now that he has to play outside croker/Scott/Wighton/Williams he just hasn’t had the opportunities.
Sure he has lost some finish/pace from when he was scoring 22/23 tries a year.
But the disproportionate amount of dirty work he has to do each and every week to cover for the shortcomings of the higher paid inside him shouldn’t be forgotten in the equation.
It won’t happen but I would love to see him off the bench and playing in the middle.
He has the nous and instinct that’s required to find and put someone into a hole.
He can make his tackles and no one competes like Jordan does.
So if it happens and he leaves he will go as one of my all time favourite players.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2021, 8:18 am
Matt wrote: June 7, 2021, 9:19 pm Love Rapa, but if he can get a deal to go "home" to the GC where his NRL career began. Then good luck to him.

Phillip Sami, don't think I've not seen a player's form nose dive as much as his this season. Hard to believe this is the same guy that ran down JAC.
Marzhew is a back rower playing wing. Good for hit ups coming out of your own end. Not sure he has much else to offer.
We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Marzhew - 177cm, 104kgs, 24yrs
Sivo - 186cm, 105kgs, 27yrs
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Timbo wrote: June 8, 2021, 8:33 am

:lol:

Good times. Gooood times.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He wasn't at the Queanbeyan Leagues... he's the boss of the Queanbeyan Leagues... he was at a "flash restaurant".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:54 am

We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Dime a dozen those guys. Go to any local footy game and you'll see somebody with those numbers. Just because they are similar stature to Sivo doesn't make them Sivo.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2021, 1:36 pm

We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Dime a dozen those guys. Go to any local footy game and you'll see somebody with those numbers. Just because they are similar stature to Sivo doesn't make them Sivo.
Sounds like a Sivo reggies because he's too small for FG.

If we have Dufty in our back 5, with Charnze and Savage then we need to be using a large body on the other wing, not an undersized player. (our other centre options HSS and Timoko are also smallish, Kris is decent size but any one of the 3 could get the gig).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Interesting reading through this thread. Kicks off strongly along the lines of what a champion Raps has been but yeah time to move on, then sentiment kicks in and we start talking one more year, maybe 2, possibly an option on 3....

You’re all up bunch of big sentimental softies who would probably still give Chicka a train and trial contract if he put his hand up for one haha
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'd have no issue carrying Rapa based on his competitiveness and legend status at the club, provided we had strong outside backs to cover for his lack of pace and try-scoring ability these days. Similar sentiment for Croker. But when the entire backline is crap, you can't hide or carry anyone anymore, in which case it's time buy new players.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

My favourite player. Leilua got a lot of the credit in 2016, but it turned out that Rapa was just as good if not better. What a player to watch, competitive, fast, can create something out of nothing, willing to chance his arm, a born attacker...

If he could have defended better I think a move to centre might have prolonged his career a good couple of years... maybe that's what will happen at his next club, if he does leave
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 2:42 pm My favourite player. Leilua got a lot of the credit in 2016, but it turned out that Rapa was just as good if not better. What a player to watch, competitive, fast, can create something out of nothing, willing to chance his arm, a born attacker...

If he could have defended better I think a move to centre might have prolonged his career a good couple of years... maybe that's what will happen at his next club, if he does leave
I've thought a few times this year that with the new rules, a better-defending Rapana could have eked out a few more years as a 2nd rower / 14.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

All this over a FB rumour?
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I got a feeling Rapana will finish his career with the Raiders. He wouldnt want to leave now is my guess.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Go check his QLD Cup numbers. The guy breaks records for fun. Meters, TBs, tries, etc
Mercury
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Mercury »

benda wrote: June 8, 2021, 4:47 pm I got a feeling Rapana will finish his career with the Raiders. He wouldnt want to leave now is my guess.
I think you're on the money.

I'd love to give him 1 more year he's been great for the Raiders. Sentimental and all that I know!! Absolutely my favourite player.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Raiders666 wrote: June 7, 2021, 4:21 pm
Finchy wrote: June 7, 2021, 4:12 pm
Raiders666 wrote: June 7, 2021, 4:03 pm
sprintman wrote: June 7, 2021, 3:58 pm Enjoy Titans they’re on the improve. You’ve given great service
Titans are as bad as us
Except, unlike us, they’ll win another game this year
:roflmao We are going to flog the Broncos this weekend
No, we're not. I'm very confident that Karmichael Hunt is going to tear us a new one in his comeback game.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Rapa is an all-time great. I hope he finishes with us though I’ll back him wherever he goes.

We’d have won three premierships if all our players had his ticker and toughness.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote: June 8, 2021, 9:33 pm

We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Go check his QLD Cup numbers. The guy breaks records for fun. Meters, TBs, tries, etc
Dropped it cold 3 or 4 times. An NRL level winger can't be making that many errors.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Also, 8 tries from 10 games playing for a team that can’t score is pretty bloody good.

Add 144m per game and 5 tackle busts too.

I totally get the focus on the rebuild and getting youngsters in and if that means Rapa is allowed to leave, I can’t argue, as much as it would disappoint me.

But if this is output in an ‘end of career, declining ability’ season then it shows just how good he is.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

gergreg wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:59 pm
We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
Dropped it cold 3 or 4 times. An NRL level winger can't be making that many errors.
Marzhew didn't look that special last week but it was the first time that I've seen him play. I need to see him more

Sami has been dreadful this year. Dreadful pass at the end of the Storm game. Hopeless in the SOO game last year as well.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:58 pm Rapa is an all-time great. I hope he finishes with us though I’ll back him wherever he goes.

We’d have won three premierships if all our players had his ticker and toughness.
Agree and even Matty Johns mentioned him when talking about wingers who changed the game

Nadruku was dynamite, Nagas was exhilarating, and Rapana is very much in the conversation alongside them

It's true those are great stats for somebody supposedly on their way out, in a **** of a team
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:39 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:58 pm Rapa is an all-time great. I hope he finishes with us though I’ll back him wherever he goes.

Agree and even Matty Johns mentioned him when talking about wingers who changed the game

Nadruku was dynamite, Nagas was exhilarating, and Rapana is very much in the conversation alongside them

It's true those are great stats for somebody supposedly on their way out, in a **** of a team
Agreed. Rapana is probably my favourite of all of them. Had everything and my fondest memories were 2016. Sad to see him leave. Loved Noa, Nagas, and Chicka Ferguson as well.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: June 8, 2021, 2:32 pm Interesting reading through this thread. Kicks off strongly along the lines of what a champion Raps has been but yeah time to move on, then sentiment kicks in and we start talking one more year, maybe 2, possibly an option on 3....

You’re all up bunch of big sentimental softies who would probably still give Chicka a train and trial contract if he put his hand up for one haha
I'd back Chicka to beat Rapa in a footrace right now too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: June 9, 2021, 6:48 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 8, 2021, 2:32 pm Interesting reading through this thread. Kicks off strongly along the lines of what a champion Raps has been but yeah time to move on, then sentiment kicks in and we start talking one more year, maybe 2, possibly an option on 3....

I'd back Chicka to beat Rapa in a footrace right now too.
I wonder what Chicka is up to these days. He’d near be 70 years old but I’d say he’d still offer as much as Simo has most the season.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:39 pm

Chicka was an all-time legend of the game. Nobody is ahead of him for mine.

Nagas was beautiful to watch. Sucks that injuries ended his career early. Nadruku and Hoppe changed the way wingers played the game. They were top shelf too.

Rapana is damn close to Chicka though. I've never seen a winger single handedly keep us in so many contests as he has. I'm already a bit devastated that his career is coming to an end. The guy has been incredible for us. What an amazing find, at the bottom of the NRL scrapheap.

No question for me that he and Ferguson are our best two wingers of all time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Still Nagas and Nadruku for me, but I'll always be heavily biased towards our 1994/95 teams.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:59 pm
We need this badly!
He is mini Sivo BTW.
But he's big and breaks tackles!!!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Nagas had a very short peak, I'd have Rapa over him. Nadruku is the best we've had IMO. Leaves Chicka and Rapa. I'd go Rapa but that's only cos I've seen so much more of him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:22 am Nagas had a very short peak, I'd have Rapa over him. Nadruku is the best we've had IMO. Leaves Chicka and Rapa. I'd go Rapa but that's only cos I've seen so much more of him.
They rank this way for me now:

1. Chicka Ferguson
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Noa Nadruku

Nagas not really close to those three. Joel Monaghan ahead of him for mine. In the mix with Phil Graham for fifth.

We will have the 40 year dream team voting at the end of this year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Joel Monaghan ahead of Ken Nagas?

That's it, I'm out.