Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Jordan Rapana

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 9, 2021, 9:51 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:39 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:58 pm Rapa is an all-time great. I hope he finishes with us though I’ll back him wherever he goes.

We’d have won three premierships if all our players had his ticker and toughness.
Agree and even Matty Johns mentioned him when talking about wingers who changed the game

Nadruku was dynamite, Nagas was exhilarating, and Rapana is very much in the conversation alongside them

It's true those are great stats for somebody supposedly on their way out, in a **** of a team
Chicka was an all-time legend of the game. Nobody is ahead of him for mine.

Nagas was beautiful to watch. Sucks that injuries ended his career early. Nadruku and Hoppe changed the way wingers played the game. They were top shelf too.

Rapana is damn close to Chicka though. I've never seen a winger single handedly keep us in so many contests as he has. I'm already a bit devastated that his career is coming to an end. The guy has been incredible for us. What an amazing find, at the bottom of the NRL scrapheap.

No question for me that he and Ferguson are our best two wingers of all time.
And it's beautiful that Chicka was a left winger and Jordy a right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:12 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 9, 2021, 9:51 am
Canberra Milk wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:39 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: June 8, 2021, 10:58 pm Rapa is an all-time great. I hope he finishes with us though I’ll back him wherever he goes.

We’d have won three premierships if all our players had his ticker and toughness.
Agree and even Matty Johns mentioned him when talking about wingers who changed the game

Nadruku was dynamite, Nagas was exhilarating, and Rapana is very much in the conversation alongside them

It's true those are great stats for somebody supposedly on their way out, in a **** of a team
Chicka was an all-time legend of the game. Nobody is ahead of him for mine.

Nagas was beautiful to watch. Sucks that injuries ended his career early. Nadruku and Hoppe changed the way wingers played the game. They were top shelf too.

Rapana is damn close to Chicka though. I've never seen a winger single handedly keep us in so many contests as he has. I'm already a bit devastated that his career is coming to an end. The guy has been incredible for us. What an amazing find, at the bottom of the NRL scrapheap.

No question for me that he and Ferguson are our best two wingers of all time.
And it's beautiful that Chicka was a left winger and Jordy a right.
Not according to Rocky Stewart he's not.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, that's another entirely frustrating chapter of the past couple of seasons.

Stuart can be a stubborn bastard sometimes.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:44 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:22 am Nagas had a very short peak, I'd have Rapa over him. Nadruku is the best we've had IMO. Leaves Chicka and Rapa. I'd go Rapa but that's only cos I've seen so much more of him.
They rank this way for me now:

1. Chicka Ferguson
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Noa Nadruku

Nagas not really close to those three. Joel Monaghan ahead of him for mine. In the mix with Phil Graham for fifth.

We will have the 40 year dream team voting at the end of this year.
I would have to agree with that ranking. But no way Monaghan was better than Nagas. No better sight than seeing Nagas in full stride and then the swerve - I don't think even the above three had that. All 4 were different. Paul Martin and Sean Hoppe were even better than Monaghan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:10 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:44 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:22 am Nagas had a very short peak, I'd have Rapa over him. Nadruku is the best we've had IMO. Leaves Chicka and Rapa. I'd go Rapa but that's only cos I've seen so much more of him.
They rank this way for me now:

1. Chicka Ferguson
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Noa Nadruku

Nagas not really close to those three. Joel Monaghan ahead of him for mine. In the mix with Phil Graham for fifth.

We will have the 40 year dream team voting at the end of this year.
I would have to agree with that ranking. But no way Monaghan was better than Nagas. No better sight than seeing Nagas in full stride and then the swerve - I don't think even the above three had that. All 4 were different. Paul Martin and Sean Hoppe were even better than Monaghan.
Agree that there's a case for Paul Martin in there too. Not so sure about Hoppe.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

So I've woken up in an alternative universe where Paul Martin is discussed in a conversation about our best ever wingers.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:22 pm So I've woken up in an alternative universe where Paul Martin is discussed in a conversation about our best ever wingers.
Same strange universe where Monaghan is even remotely compared to Kenny Nagas.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:22 pm So I've woken up in an alternative universe where Paul Martin is discussed in a conversation about our best ever wingers.
Going back to the last dream team voting, I had Paul Martin in my top five wingers (but no Monaghan). I guess some more considered thought needed before the voting at the end of the season!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31537&p=1474344#p1474344
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:39 pm
I loved Kenny - great sight seeing him in full flight, but I think there's a bit of romanticism about him in this thread.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I'm a short little fat bloke and still antagonised Paul Martin enough in Oztag to successfully get him sent off.

Grumpy, pretty quick, but if I get the better of you mentally, you aren't a great 😂😂😂

I think it was him anyway. Or Mark Bell. Pretty sure Paul Martin.

Good story me.

Top wingers for the Raiders nostalgia aside:

Noa
Rapana
Kenny
Chicka
Mullins (only cos he was mostly fullback)

The rest.

Rapana is a second for efforts and longevity - Kenny is nipping at his heels for absolute brilliance.

Nostalgia wise -

Chicka
Noa
Kenny
Probably Raps.

Paul Martin ain't on the list.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

You blokes are all having a lend if you have any of these guys ahead of Terry Fahey, Phil Carey, Ray Blacklock, Matty Corkrey or the great Billy Walker!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

afgtnk wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:47 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2021, 1:39 pm
I loved Kenny - great sight seeing him in full flight, but I think there's a bit of romanticism about him in this thread.
Yeah, I love Kenny as much as the next guy (I named our dog after him as a kid) and he is arguably the best guy to see run the ball but I think he's benefitting from nostalgia.

Kenny's best try-scoring period was 1994-6 when he scored 11 (18 games), 14 (19 games) and 13 tries (19 games). Also, there's a lot of chat about Rapa's regression but Kenny's last four seasons netted eight tries from 47 games.

For me, the list is:

1. Rapa
2. Noa (a very close second)
3. Kenny
4. Chicka (may deserve to be higher but I was so young when he played)
5. Daylight
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

You put Raps playing outside of centers like Meninga and Daley and he's even better than what we see of him in this era.
Likewise, you take Noa or Kenny and play them outside Scott and Kris and as good as they were, maybe we don't see the best of them.
For mine, Raps is top of the list.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Sean Hoppe is the G.O.A.T
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

He was definitely on the GC. Was at his nephews footy game
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:00 am Joel Monaghan ahead of Ken Nagas?

That's it, I'm out.
That's a doozy, for sure 😳 even Monas himself would surely have a chuckle at that...
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I know right.

It was clearly Matthew Wood.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

No love for the Volcano?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Albert Fulivai > Rapana
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 10, 2021, 12:15 pm No love for the Volcano?
Still in the top 10 i reckon of my all time favourite players
Just LOVED watching him play when i was growing up
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

I'm at a loss why Dimitri Pelo hasn't made anyone's Top 5 wingers list :shock:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Walter wrote: June 10, 2021, 1:39 pm I'm at a loss why Dimitri Pelo hasn't made anyone's Top 5 wingers list :shock:
I'm more baffled by the omission of Brett Kelly tbh
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Ata Hingano.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2021, 12:23 pm
Still in the top 10 i reckon of my all time favourite players
Just LOVED watching him play when i was growing up
Young affgjsgsg;lm was shattered when he left. The excitement the crowd had when he got the ball was comparable to Mullins.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

This is an excellent call! How good was he for us?! I saw him live at Brookie one afternoon where he made Hoppa look like an absolute pub footballer and have never forgotten it - the Volcano was unplayable when in that kind of mood.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: June 10, 2021, 2:39 pm
This is an excellent call! How good was he for us?! I saw him live at Brookie one afternoon where he made Hoppa look like an absolute pub footballer and have never forgotten it - the Volcano was unplayable when in that kind of mood.
I was devastated when he left for UK.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Northern Raider wrote: June 10, 2021, 5:03 pm
Rickmando wrote: June 10, 2021, 2:39 pm
I was devastated when he left for UK.
Me too. One of my all time favourite Raiders.

Although a lot of my other favourites are mentioned in this thread! (Chicka and Noa especially, and Raps would be my favourite modern day player). I never realised I had such a winger fetish… although it doesn’t extend to Simonsson I’m afraid
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I must admit that I completely forgot about Vainokolo. Great winger.

Surprisingly he has a significantly lower try scoring rate compared to Rapana, and not even close to Rapa in his peak 2-3 seasons.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Walter wrote:I'm at a loss why Dimitri Pelo hasn't made anyone's Top 5 wingers list :shock:
He’s on my list. Will always have big love for Pelo
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 10, 2021, 5:43 pm
Walter wrote:I'm at a loss why Dimitri Pelo hasn't made anyone's Top 5 wingers list :shock:
He’s on my list. Will always have big love for Pelo
First New Caledonian to play in the NRL :thumbsup
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Really hope we re-sign Jordy..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Sam Huihahau deserves a mention.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

He’s been supa dupa awesome and will be in MM medal contention.

Ryan Sutton is my pick.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sutton is really one dimensional. He's been consistent but there's no nuance to his game, IMO his bare minimum job is to be consistent so I can't really have him in the running.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm certainly happy if we give Rapa an extra year. Deserves it on performance on the field, not romance or what's happened in the past. Needs to kick goals as well for us next year. The club should hire Halligan to help him out over the summer